Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 544591 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #6855 on: August 14, 2024, 06:35:37 AM »

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #6856 on: August 14, 2024, 06:49:20 AM »

LANI   Family bed night for those pups  :)

TIG  Good deal on the knee injections.  ;)

PHYL   Well we will never know whether or not student passed eating the fish head first lesson 365   LOL
Chicagoland

LisaG1967

« Reply #6857 on: August 14, 2024, 08:17:51 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

tsk - How cool that your Merlin ID picked up the hawk screeching. 

Phyl - Thanks for the article on Severe G4 geomagnetic storm.  Thanks for 365.

tig - Glad to hear your injections went well.

Lani - Aww, sweet pups!

karen, kb, Puff and all - Morning  :)

karengramke

« Reply #6858 on: August 14, 2024, 08:27:38 AM »

Pretty white morning flower Tsk!    Another of our hot days!  Continue for weeks!  45% chance of rain in a week.  Not much but better than a hurricane!
Puerto Rico got a  bruxh with Ernesto yesterday with winds and rain,  pretty island.
Nothing major on the agenda today!
Lisa, thanks for breakfast!

Puff

« Reply #6859 on: August 14, 2024, 08:59:47 AM »

tsk  LisaG  Pretty neat about the Merlin.  Might be something I can order from Santa.

P

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #6860 on: August 14, 2024, 11:22:08 AM »

It's Waylon Wednesday at TRR Sloth TV!  ;D
I hope you're feeling better little man  :-*

Athena  :-*

Pablo  :-*

Good morning Beakers!
Hi Eagles4, Lisa, Ezee, Eburg, Weasel, Jilltosa, Kb, Tsk, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eaglesrock, Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, BL, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Tsk, I saw my first migrating Monarch stopping to visit my flowers.

Lisa, Thank you for yummy breakfast!  ;D

Phyl, beautiful Kingfishers, I hope baby was able to finish the fish.  ;D

Hi Puff :)

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #6861 on: August 14, 2024, 12:11:43 PM »

LISA  I'll have that AM "cream puff"  ;D ;D

PUFF  Merlin is an App for your phone!  Go to your app store and put in Merlin and you'll have it.  Easy to use.

LANI   I saw 1 monarch yesterday as well on my flowers.  It was a terrible year for raising monarchs as my butterfly friend in town also agreed  We both raised 6!!  No females around.

Just saw this on FB   ;D ;D

After every flight, UPS pilots fill out a form, called a "gripe sheet" which tells mechanics about problems with the aircraft. The mechanics correct the problems, documnt their repairs on the form, then pilots review the gripe sheets before the next flight.
Never let it be said that ground crews lack a sense of humor. Here are actual maintenance complaints submittd by UPS pilots ("P") and solutions recorded ("S") by maintenance engineers:
P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.
P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.
P: Something loose in cockpit
S: Something tightened in cockpit
P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on back-order.
P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.
P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.
P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.
P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That's what friction locks are for.
P: IFF inoperative in OFF mode.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.
P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you're right.
P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.
P: Aircraft handles funny.
S: Aircraft warned to: straighten up, fly right, and be serious.
P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.
P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.
P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget poundng on something with a hammer.
S: Took hammer away from midget

Off in a bit to see Tim's ortho doc for plan of attack as he now has seen second MRI.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 12:16:56 PM by tsk34 »
Chicagoland

Lani

« Reply #6862 on: August 14, 2024, 12:37:10 PM »

Hellgate Antali has Fledged!

Second Osprey Chick "Antali" Fledges from Hellgate Nest! | August 14, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEx1jnor6Z8

After 59 days in the nest post-hatch, the younger Osprey chick named Antali fledged this morning with a confident jump and a slight flutter as they headed upriver. Congratulations to the
@HellgateOsprey
 Cam community! https://youtu.be/bEx1jnor6Z8

Iris on nest calling Antali. - Antali on light pole

Antali

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

LisaG1967

« Reply #6863 on: August 14, 2024, 01:43:15 PM »

Lani - Yay, Antali!!  Great job on fledging.  Thanks for the Hellgate and TRR pics.

Puff -  Pretty sure you can order that from Santa  ;)

tsk and karen - Hope you enjoyed the breakfast.

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #6864 on: August 14, 2024, 03:15:27 PM »

Howdy Beakers!  :)

(((Clynn and Family)))

Yay for Antali's fledge! I hope s/he listens to Iris and safely returns to the nest soon before getting too adventurous. One exploring, short flight at a time at first, I hope, to gain flying and landing skills.  ;)  :-*
Thanks, Lani:-* Sweet pics of those little sloths at TRR. I hope they all improve in health and strength soon.  :-*

Lisa, thanks for posting the bat pic/post for Karen.  :)

Karen, thanks for sharing that FB pic of the sweet little bat,  :-*  and the associated excellent article busting the myth of the prevalence of rabies in bats - it says the research study shows that rabies is only found in one-half of 1% of bats, and bats are not asymptomatic carriers. Good read and info! Also great tips on what to do if a bat flies into your home! I didn't know they wouldn't be able to fly away if they landed on the floor! Learned some new info about bats! I've always wanted to hold one and feel their soft fur.  :)

Tig, glad the knee injections went well. Yum on the frozen yogurt. What a great vacay you and camper have coming up! Will that be a car trip, or a flight with local car rental?

Phyl, I forgot to mention yesterday when you posted the "Cosmopolitan birds" article, with that pic of the pretty Barn Swallow. We have a large population of Barn Swallows around where I live. It's fun watching them fly and swoop over the pond next to my house, especially before sunset, as they catch loads of insects while in flight. And it's so amazing they don't crash into each other when doing that, of course! - which is fun to watch, because they have some crazy, veering near misses!!  ;D  This past Thursday (or Friday?), when I was getting blinding rain from Tropical Storm Debby, I walked out front under my front porch cover, a little before dark, to watch the blowing hard rain, and a pretty Barn Swallow swooped right in under my covered front porch with me!! A bird trying to fly in that! Oh my, poor thing, it must've gotten caught by the sudden start of that wild rain while trying to get a bite to eat before heading home to roost for the night.  :-* It startled me at first, and I thought he would fly back out, but he didn't. Instead, he flew back and forth, a few laps the length of the front porch, under cover, while I stood stock still, not wanting to startle or frighten him. At one point, I thought he was going to land on me! But he finally landed on the brick front porch wall under cover, grasping to the brick edge as they do, near the top of the front door, and stayed there. So I slowly and quietly slipped back inside my front door, and hoped he would be able to stay under cover and rest and be safe from the storm. I couldn't see him from inside, but he was gone in the morning, of course. So pretty.  :-* I hope he stayed safe and got a little respite from the big, gusty winds and hard sideways rain, with very limited visibility.  :-* :-*

TSK, it was a rough year for the Monarchs, but you helped them!  :) Thank you!  :-* I hope their numbers rebound this next year!

Take care, All.  :)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 03:22:07 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Lani

« Reply #6865 on: August 14, 2024, 04:47:54 PM »

This sweet post was posted by Hellgate mod

4:22, 8/14 Opie Taylor: "The nest sure looks awful empty, don't it, Pa?
Andy Taylor: Yes, Son, it sure does. But don't the trees seem nice and full?

Antali and Iris  :-* This was seen on the 2nd cam, Antali testing his wings made it to the tree.
followed by Iris. She's tried to entice him with a fish to return to the nest, but he couldn't make it.

Posted by Dr Greene on Montana Osprey FB
Hi everyone,
Well, well, well!  It is with mixed emotions that we saw Antali fledge successfully this morning!  We suspected he would probably fledge today - he was getting "big air" yesterday, and had been practising flying hard for the last week.  He flew up the river a bit, then perched right below the nest.
It is a bit hard to look at an empty Hellgate Osprey nest, but what an amazing season it has been for Iris and her family!
Best, Erick Greene and the Montana Osprey Team

Photos capturing Antali fledging by Dr. Greene

Antali :-*

Iris  :-*

Iris :-* (You are amazing sweet mama, just amazing! I'm so happy for your successful summer! My heart sings with joy for you.  :-*)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #6866 on: August 14, 2024, 06:46:56 PM »

LANI     Hellgate graduation has occurred  ;D  Good screen shots.  Looked like someone was observing from below in the first pic showing both of them.   I remember that episode from the Andy Griffith show  :-* :-*   Dr Greene's great nest shots  :o

BAZI  Actually the bat we had in the Dodgeville home was on the carpeted 3 season room crawling around.( We were fascinated)  We opened the door and it found its way out flying.. Hmmm  CROW rehab on Sanibel Is.  Had a couple tropical birds thrown off course that they were caring for - kind of beat up.  Can't remember the species now  Dang.  :P   Glad your porch was a safe haven for that barn swallow. Cute story. :)

Tim will have a " laminotomy" on the 23rd.  Should be a day surgery but will stay overnight if it comes to that.
Chicagoland

BrokenLug

« Reply #6867 on: August 14, 2024, 08:11:29 PM »

One ish pm 08/15/24 NZST.

All these locals are driving the wrong way slow in Kilometers. 

I've got to tell you all my warped travel brain doesn't need any help. 

That was one heck of a Aurora Australis from a Mountain hut.

Bar none #1 as it stands at this post.

Clear sky that would make a kid from Montana's jaw drop.

Shooting stars.

There ain't no better than here.

I've never seen them 'shoot' in front of and behind a Aurora. 

Puff  8)
3 foot bridges in to Lake Hooker about 50 miles WNW of Lake Tekapo and on to the Hut from there.

We drank coffee at Lk Tekapo on our drive in at 04 dark 30 and then tightened up our boot laces and headed off to Hooker Lake. 

This is such a magical place on our Blue Marble.   ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZe0R5aVDoM
« Last Edit: August 16, 2024, 07:48:48 PM by BrokenLug »
U. S. A.

karengramke

« Reply #6868 on: August 14, 2024, 09:25:10 PM »

Bl, hope you have a camera with you and re using it!  Sounds onderous!   Thnks for JC nd tge City of NO!

Tsk, Cro hd. Red Foottrd booby that s blown way off course!

Night all nd thanks for Helgate. the  royal As And trr report.   ALso funny posts on pilot and  ground crew.
Seds

Puff

« Reply #6869 on: August 14, 2024, 10:31:58 PM »

Here's a good read; very thought provoking.  It covered all the learning/teaching stages of my life and ends up with enhancing my current related job adventures.  Comes from a weekly industry publication.  It is long but starts the wheels in head rolling.  I'm sure there will be a lot of thoughts and ideas among my friends/travel advisers  and but also my RRP friends.  Kinda long but take it to the finish.  Very interesting I think.  And, I won't be silly any more and mention about getting around with my friend "Stick".

https://www.travelweekly.com/Arnie-Weissmann/Lessons-from-a-blind-birder

P
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 10:44:40 PM by Puff »