Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 542751 times)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #6870 on: August 15, 2024, 12:59:52 AM »

{{{Clynn and Family}}}  :-*

Goodnight from a quiet Hellgate nest!
Sweet Iris is alone tonight 
:-*

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Eaglesrock, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Clynn and family, Lisa, Jeff and Family, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Tsk/Tim's cousin Joe, Lori, grandmothers and family, Baz, Eaglesrock, Eagles Mom, Tsk's bro and wife Margaret, Karen and Piper, Lisa's FIL, Puff, Tig, Tsk and Tim, Lisa's Jeff, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Paulie, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Jicaji, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Clynn and family, Lisa, Jeff and Family, Tim and Tsk, Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Puff, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Etta, Denton eaglets and nest, Trempealeau Eagles’ Nest, Tiny Tammy and Paws of War, Harley and his little siblings, Miss Maggie, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all the Feral cats, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Puff

« Reply #6871 on: August 15, 2024, 06:28:44 AM »

But she/they had a fantastic season Lani.   ;D   ;D ;D ;D  ;D ;D  (Smiles for each of them and for us)

P

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #6872 on: August 15, 2024, 06:34:01 AM »

BL   What an awesome experience for you to witness that sky.  You are blessed indeed.  Be safe.  Don't trip on your shoe laces  ::) ::)

KAREN   Thanks - that was what I was thinking of.  Red footed booby.

PUFF  Article was not long and so glad to hear from Mr. Culasso and his wonderful sightless perspective on nature.  Amazing.

LANI    Aww  sweet Iris.   A literal "empty nester"  :( :'(

CLYNN   Hope today is a day of fond memories, lots of pictures and many friends/family visiting.
Chicagoland

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #6873 on: August 15, 2024, 06:38:27 AM »

Just saw this on FB   ;D ;D

After every flight, UPS pilots fill out a form, called a "gripe sheet" which tells mechanics about problems with the aircraft. The mechanics correct the problems, documnt their repairs on the form, then pilots review the gripe sheets before the next flight.
Never let it be said that ground crews lack a sense of humor. Here are actual maintenance complaints submittd by UPS pilots ("P") and solutions recorded ("S") by maintenance engineers:
P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.
S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.
P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.
S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.
P: Something loose in cockpit
S: Something tightened in cockpit
P: Dead bugs on windshield.
S: Live bugs on back-order.
P: Autopilot in altitude-hold mode produces a 200 feet per minute descent
S: Cannot reproduce problem on ground.
P: Evidence of leak on right main landing gear.
S: Evidence removed.
P: DME volume unbelievably loud.
S: DME volume set to more believable level.
P: Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick.
S: That's what friction locks are for.
P: IFF inoperative in OFF mode.
S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.
P: Suspected crack in windshield.
S: Suspect you're right.
P: Number 3 engine missing.
S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.
P: Aircraft handles funny.
S: Aircraft warned to: straighten up, fly right, and be serious.
P: Target radar hums.
S: Reprogrammed target radar with lyrics.
P: Mouse in cockpit.
S: Cat installed.
P: Noise coming from under instrument panel. Sounds like a midget poundng on something with a hammer.
S: Took hammer away from midget

[/size]

This is a riot!

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

« Reply #6874 on: August 15, 2024, 06:45:57 AM »

Good Morning Everyone...Happy Thursday!

Currently: 74F partly  sunny , High  97F sunny,  with  Low 74F
Hope everyone had a pleasant evening and a good night's rest.

Lani tks for all the updates on the critter

Bazi  i loved you story aout your swallows.  About 5 yrs back we had some here. It was nesting season this pair had no place
to build a nest. So Mama Swallow took (rente) the Bluebirds nesting boxe #1 and built her nest and incunmabted and hatched her
chicks. There were just two hatched and fledged. But that species is pure ballet in the sky with how they swoop and dive chatching
various insects mid flight.  I'm so glad you had a flock to enjoy.

CLynn thinking of you and your family today--hoping the day is filled with love and the fondest of memories

Tsk  enjoyed your AM greetings today

Prayers for:  The family of Corey Comperatore..Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people.   'Little Gray' and 'Little One' ...All abandoned, abused , lost cats ... stray, unloved, homeless stray and feral cats;
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere . As always, Beakers/families.

Thursday’s Threads

In tapestry of time and space,
The cosmic threads unite and weave,
A vast design, an endless grace,
Of stellar systems that believe.

As masters to their craft are bound,
These woven threads of destiny,
A kaleidoscope of colors spun,
Entwine the known and mystery.

Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

« Reply #6876 on: August 15, 2024, 07:03:00 AM »

Can You Pick the Closest Relatives on the Tree of Avian Evolution?

Not everything is quite as it seems when it comes to evolution. Try this quiz and see if you can pick out who is related to whom in the bird world.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/quiz-phylogeny-evolution-choose-closest-relative/?utm_campaign=Lab%20eNews%202024&utm_medium=email&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--X4X_BvB-X98uSKFAte7Idn2_YLbMUTjoGbOD73z5MIxhAB7ctF0c6-IXEh0Jfyw_Ll1P5w6xYRTQ8UeRajcpMNoYTVn6u153q8JvTRvlkUb4q2wc&_hsmi=319551650&utm_content=319551650&utm_source=hs_email

From the Summer 2024 issue of Living Bird magazine.
Evolution works in somewhat mysterious ways. Two birds at the same backyard feeder that look alike could be separated by millions of years of evolutionary history. Meanwhile, two birds that are each other’s closest evolutionary cousins could live on opposite sides of the world.

That mixing and matching of birds with different speciation histories is borne of two seemingly opposing forces of evolution. On the one hand, divergent evolution is pushing closely related species away from each other; natural selection (the race to enhance survival, such as being better at exploiting food resources or evading predators) pushes birds to gain an advantage by looking different or moving someplace different.

On the other hand, convergent evolution can push distantly related species to resemble each other. Again natural selection is a driving force. Bird species that eat flying insects tend to have similar aerodynamic body shapes (even if they aren’t close relatives), kind of like how different kinds of aquatic animals, such as fish and whales, similarly evolved elongated bodies and fins for swimming underwater.

This push and pull of divergent and convergent evolution can make for some surprises when birders dig into the phylogeny (that is, the evolutionary relationships) of some of their favorite birds. Try your hand at guessing which species might be most closely related in the following groupings of birds from your backyard and around the world. Physical resemblances or proximity to one another may be a helpful clue … but then again, maybe not.

Sauces bald eagle cam

Puff

« Reply #6877 on: August 15, 2024, 08:22:03 AM »

BAZ   Phyl  My introduction to full time bird nerd. . . Moving into this home in 1971 I got me fully involved with two new past times - gardening and birds. 

Moved in in April so it was too late for food garden, but started landscaping plans.  Lost a few plants in the discovery phase.  My dad, talented and patient loving me, made a fence for the following year (dang critter problem).  One of a kind Asian/oriental red and black picket with gold additions. 

He also put up a purple martin bird house in the corner of the food garden's designated spot.  Spent so many hours on the patio waiting and hoping, and then fascinated and watching.  I still smile to this day when I think of the house keeping routine.  Just like our eagles they do not have poop in the house.  Most it was their little butts sticking out the hole and then parent picking it up and dropping it away from the abode.  Over the years quite a bit of "fertilizer" ended up in the garden.  Quite a bit of fertilizer but not so many mosquitoes.  They are also like our eagles. . .Many days of teaching little ones the art of soaring.  I wonder how good they would handled the cicadae this year?

Alas, because of buildup and trees they left; took down the house on the pole.   :'(  Also, because fence was made of wood, last year I had to say goodbye to the remnants of the fence.  Really miss Dad thinking about it now.   :'(

Don't think I ever mentioned - but I'll repeat anyway.  I have other things Dad made.  When my brothers/Sisters-in-law started having family, he made one a rocking horse and the other a rocking elephant (she loved elephants).  Small Italian lady, my SIL had he ellie in a special nook in the house where she could relax, rest, and put all on notice to leave her alone.   Gave it to son/DIL when her first grandchild was born.  I hope it still is alive.  My sister got a 4 ft (?) clothes hanging giraffe stand.

Not doing kids - he cut things way down to size and made me a mini rocking horse.   :'(   I know you know how much I cherish it.

clynn   Lots of special hugs today. 

P

« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 08:29:38 AM by Puff »

LisaG1967

« Reply #6878 on: August 15, 2024, 09:48:03 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

baz - You take care :)

Lani - Thanks for the Hellgate pics.  So happy that Iris had a successful season!

tsk - Will be thinking of Tim on the 23rd, and you too!  :-*

BL - Sounds like you are having a great time.  :)

Phyl - LOL, love your bird pic this morning!

karen, Puff, kb, tig, and all - Morning  :)

karengramke

« Reply #6879 on: August 15, 2024, 10:01:07 AM »

Good Morning!  ThinkClynn is driving to Evansville, In today to pick up Cathy and her niece at the airport.   Believe visitation is tomorrow and service is Saturday.  Not positive about this!
Help not coming today.  Her father has covid and she does not feel well so she is going to be tested!  Not sure I wNt to see her for a while!
Puff will read your story in a bit!   Having some oftgat stuff in Lisas picture!  Delicious!

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #6880 on: August 15, 2024, 11:09:13 AM »

Anan Lower Falls and Caves - Anan Wildlife Observatory- Tongass National Forest
Wrangell, Alaska

This is a beautiful and peaceful spot. I would love to add to my bucket list.  ;D
Live Cam:  https://explore.org/livecams/tongass-national-forest/anan-black-bear-camera-2

Pretty little Black Bear they call Wolfhead

There are a couple of eagles nests nearby -
Here's a Juvie enjoying breakfast this early morning.

Good morning Beakers!
Hi Eagles4, Lisa, Ezee, Eburg, Weasel, Jilltosa, Kb, Tsk, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eaglesrock, Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, BL, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

{{{Clynn and family}}} Thinking of you and your family, hoping the loving hugs, moments filled with memories from family and friends will lift and comfort all of you.  :-*

Karen, thanks for the update on Clynn.  :-*

Puff  ;D

Tsk, love morning gif  ;D

Phyl, love today's nature video  :-*... I failed the bird test! Only got 2 right! LOL!! I was very surprised and learned a lot. Thanks!  ;D

{{{Lisa}}} Love your morning coffee and rolls  ;D

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #6881 on: August 15, 2024, 12:28:01 PM »

PHYL   Crazy looking creatures creating us this Thurs.  ;D   In the mist- 365  cool.  For that quiz you had to pick the most outrageous of the three choices to get it right.  Which just shows to go ya' - evolution is a mystery!! Interesting

PUFF   Thanks for sharing those dear memories.  :-*

LISA   Could be a street in Paris with your AM "breakfast"  :)

LANI   Wonder what pink thing Wolfhead has in his claws?
Chicagoland

LisaG1967

« Reply #6882 on: August 15, 2024, 02:22:27 PM »

tsk - I would love to be sitting on that street enjoying that breakfast.

Lani - Great pics from Anan Lower Falls and Caves

karen - Oh no, sorry about your help not coming, but best she stay away from you.

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #6883 on: August 15, 2024, 02:53:18 PM »

Waving to All the Beakers!  :)

(((Clynn and Family)))  :-*

((BL)), what wonderful experiences you are having near the bottom of the world! Thanks for sharing.  :)

TSK, glad the bat that was on your floor was able to fly out successfully. Maybe the person posting in Karen's FB link about tips for when a bat might fly into your home was only meaning small or baby bats would have a problem flying out if on the floor. I don't know, of course, just guessing.

Karen, hope you won't be exposed. You and Piper take care.

Lisa, yummy croissant - makes me want one.  :)

Phyl, all kinds of swallows are fun to watch. We have several different types around here. Fun you got to watch a pair nesting.  :)

Lani, thanks for the great cam shots and news from Hellgate and Anan Lower Falls and Caves.  :) :-*

Keeping it short today. I've had a nuisance headache every day for a couple of weeks now, and it's starting to get old.  ::) :P 

Take care, Beakers:)

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Phyl

Sauces bald eagle cam