Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 546440 times)

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #5175 on: June 07, 2024, 06:09:28 AM »

The Raptor Resource Project

From Amy's blog...

Branching at Decorah North!
 June 6, 2024  RaptorResource

https://www.raptorresource.org/2024/06/06/branching-at-decorah-north/

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

« Reply #5176 on: June 07, 2024, 06:10:45 AM »

Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

« Reply #5177 on: June 07, 2024, 06:25:14 AM »

Explore.org

Spring Cleaning Website Maintenance
It's spring cleaning time! On Monday, June 10th at 10pm PT/1AM ET our website will be unavailable for 60-90 minutes. But don't worry, you can continue to watch your favorite live cams on our YouTube channel during that time.

Never Stop Learning,
The explore.org Team

https://news.explore.org/t/r-l-tdfhrhk-btitthrhyu-t/

Sauces bald eagle cam

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #5178 on: June 07, 2024, 06:40:03 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Lani, you take care out in the heat doing that firewising! (like you didn't think of that!  ::) ::))  What kind of extra restrictions do you get, are they because of the heat or normal summer restrictions? I will be praying that the owl decides to move on and find a mouse. Wonder where Finn was...  Thanks for the Albie updates and the news of Chira!

Phyl, beautiful memorial on Omaha Beach! Mom and Dad went there on their last visit to our friends in England, Dad said it was very moving... You have good memories of Charlie and Marie... I have the same for Lee (my Dad) and Jean (Mom) is still here, almost 90.  Sad article about the birds, and thanks for Amy's Blog!

baz, years ago we had a HUGE bumper crop of tomatoes and green peppers when we lived in a duplex in Springfield. The little garden was the spot that used to be a dog pen, I don't know if that had anything to do with the HUGE crop but I made tomato everything that year! Including mincemeat made from green tomatoes! And green pepper relish out the wazoo!

karen, sorry to hear about your friend...  Keep up the good work!

Lisa, awww, your Mom's birthday... The firsts are hard., but you will get through them...  My Dad's birthday was May 1, he would have been 93. Life will keep you busy and good memories will always be there!

💚 Diamond Head is a crater and ancient tuff volcanic cone located on the Hawaiian island of O'ahu, known to Hawaiians as Lēʻahi.  The Hawaiian name is probably derived from lae (arcade, promontory) with ʻahi (tuna) because of the shape of the guidance line which resembles the shape of the dorsal fin of a tuna.  Its English name Diamond Head was given by British sailors in the 19th century, who thought they had discovered diamonds on the crater's slopes.  These "diamonds" were actually shiny calcite crystals that were worthless.

Norwich Peregrine Falcon Forum - Petra Sjouken

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5179 on: June 07, 2024, 07:05:13 AM »

OLDGUY   Thanks for all the video on the SpaceX Starship

LANI  Oh no  Owl issues at Hellgate.  Couldn't watch the vid but the narrative in itself is scary.  :o  Hang in there Iris and Finn.

PHYL   DN17 pretty content out on that branch  :)  Staggering data on declining bird populations.

CLYNN  Burst of color Friday today  ;D   A not too often seen view of Diamond Head, Cool

Trimming all the bushes at the church garden late yesterday afternoon :  It was the 4 of us against hundreds of them ;D ;D  So creepy.  I'm sure there will be a tee shirt " I survived the cicada invasion of 2024" LOLOL
Chicagoland

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #5180 on: June 07, 2024, 07:24:59 AM »

tsk, found this interesting article about the cicadas and where the concentrations are. This spring, the 13-year Brood XIX and the 17-year Brood XIII will co-emerge in Illinois for the first time since 1803. Right where you are!
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cicadas-2024-maps-will-emerge-in-the-u-s-this-spring-mid-may-where-to-see-cicada/

7 FACTS ABOUT CICADAS
https://www.futurity.org/7-cool-cicada-facts-1-theyre-like-violins-with-wings/
Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

LisaG1967

« Reply #5181 on: June 07, 2024, 07:43:44 AM »

Good Morning Beakers...Happy Friday!

tsk - Thank you  :-*  And here is your shirt!  ;D ;D

clynn - Agreed!  Happy Belated Heavenly Birthday to your Dad  :)

Phyl
- Thanks for links, and pretty morning pic!  Thank you  :-*, and yes warranties are a BIG help with repairs.  Not much action on the trail cam lately, must be the heat keeping the critters away.

Lani - Thank you  :-*

baz
- Thank you  :-*

karen - Yes  :(  When I called my Dad, he also told me that he recently had a stroke, but didn't bother to call and tell me.  He said, he was doing ok, and he did sound good. 

E4E - Happy Graduation to your grandson!!!  A high-schooler now!

Off to the ENT for my 3 month appt....BBL!

karengramke

« Reply #5182 on: June 07, 2024, 09:43:40 AM »

Bood Morning!  83 degrees now and humidity of 86%!  As the day goes on the temperature will rise and the humidity will drop!   Going to 94 again!
Phyl, I could not open the article on the birds!  In a word, what i s the cause?
No cicadas here this year but an invasion of flys!  What I would not give for an old fashioned fly swatter!  No newspaper and this I pad which does a lot is nit good for swatting flies!
Tuesday I see tge eye doctor and can share my driver’s license with him!  He will be amazed!  He keeps check on my left eye which is my good one, so far!

Lisa, glad The  your .dad is doing well after his stroke!
My father’s birthday  was May 7th!  He would have been over a hundred!
 Poor Iris and the danged owls!   
Lani, do take care in the heat!  I remember living in El Paso and enjoying one day if a pouring rain!  Well, an hour of rain.  I went out after it stopped to a sunny day, no humidity and not a sign of rain!   SoI guess, watering your area will not substitute for your firewising! 
I was 5 when D Day happened and I can remember it!  The news was on  the radio and my parents were concerned and talking about it so  it made an impression on my young mind!  The same  as when Oresident Roosevelt  died!   Lessons learned from history!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 09:45:26 AM by karengramke »

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5183 on: June 07, 2024, 10:47:28 AM »

CLYNN    Yes we have been hearing about this for ages.  Something on the news every day  LOL  Interesting distribution tho..Map was good.  I'm putting out an ad for some cicada killer wasps.  That article was fascinating.  Tiny ( quarter size) to large - almost hummer size!

LISA    LOLOL  Thanks for finding the shirt  ;D ;D ;D  I knew it had to be out there.  :)   Where does your Dad live?  Any chance to visit?

KAREN   You lived through more history than many of us.  ;) ;)  Earlies memory for me - Eisenhower and Pope Pius Xll
Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #5184 on: June 07, 2024, 11:03:46 AM »

This invisible killer takes out 3.5 billion U.S. birds a year

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/premium/article/birds-windows-collisions-glass-deaths?loggedin=true&rnd=1717738298721

Another invisible killer - the patio door!  Home late after a dinner confab, I closed the garage door and heard tinkle tinkle tinkle ????

A bird this year built a nest atop the light at the door to the patio.  Closing the garage door set off the avalanche - billions of little diamonds everywhere.  Door glass was still in because of my height problem.
Had a friend switch in the screen panel - now need an entire new storm door.  Some evil doer must have taken tried grabbing at the parent and hit the glass.

Nest was found empty, eggs gone, no adult (robin) anywhere.

P

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5185 on: June 07, 2024, 11:10:18 AM »

TGIF Beakers!
Morning Lisa, Ezee, Eburg, Weasel, Jilltosa, Kb, Tsk, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eaglesrock, Emyrauld, Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Eagles, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, BL, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!

Phyl, great RRP update on Decorah North kids!  :-* .. I couldn't open the link, but i read the link and it's about windows, glass patio doors....  the loss of birds flying into windows are  high in Arizona. They are chased by hawks, crows, etc. and bam they hit my office window or kitchen window. It's always where I keep a feeder nearby or bird bath. Arizona homes have large high windows... putting an deflector on our windows or hanging from our glass doors helps. When I hear a bird hit one of our picture windows, I run to gently pick it up and place in cool quiet shaded area outside our home. After 30 minutes they usually fly off when ready. It happens all the time here.

Clynn, beautiful morning pics.... The Payson Fire Chief along with the Tonto National Forest Rangers is invoking certain sections of the International Fire Code during elevated fire hazardous conditions, which is hot temperatures. This is the link to Tonto National Forest Website, on the right you will see the Fire Danger warnings for counties within our forest.... https://www.fs.usda.gov/tonto/. There will be warning signs along Highway 87 & 260 alerting everyone. No throwing cigarettes out your windows, check the bottom of your trucks for loose chains that can drag and cause sparks.... also, our HOA asked we get our smoke alarms checked out. Which we will do. Even though we have lithium batteries in all of them, it's a good idea to get an electrician in to make sure all is well. Everyone puts pet signs on their front entrance window to alert security/fire department, especially if you're not home at the time you're smoke alarm goes off. We also have our get ready to leave your home kit hanging in our utility room. It helps us organize and be ready to leave when needed... I follow Hellgate closely and I didn't know about the GHO attack until I was looking at pet youtube videos and there was Iris... I got teary when I heard her loud and unusually sounding calls for Finn. I wondered why he didn't come. Did you see the owl look down at the eggs? I thought for sure he was going to take one.  :'( .... beautiful Diamond Head  :-* ... awww thanks for Falcon update.

{{{Tsk}}} you deserve a Cicada survival t-shirt  :-*

Lisa, great t-shirt for Tsk, love the color... Real dads  ;)

Karen, thank you  :-*

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

LisaG1967

« Reply #5186 on: June 07, 2024, 11:46:08 AM »

karen - Happy Belated Heavenly Birthday to your dad! We are at 80° right now, with 36% humidity.  I turned off the AC, and opened the windows. 

tsk - My Dad lives in Kenner, Louisiana, not too far from the airport.  I told Jeff I would like to go down and visit after ATF, so I might either drive or fly.  We will see. 

Puff - Awww, so sorry about your door, and the bird nest. 

Lani - I will have my Martini shaken, not stirred  ;D 

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5187 on: June 07, 2024, 11:53:04 AM »

karen - Happy Belated Heavenly Birthday to your dad! We are at 80° right now, with 36% humidity.  I turned off the AC, and opened the windows. 

tsk - My Dad lives in Kenner, Louisiana, not too far from the airport.  I told Jeff I would like to go down and visit after ATF, so I might either drive or fly.  We will see. 

Puff - Awww, so sorry about your door, and the bird nest. 

Lani - I will have my Martini shaken, not stirred  ;D 

Lisa, that's how Mike likes his  8)
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

kbshcb

« Reply #5188 on: June 07, 2024, 11:57:05 AM »

Art Wu took this gorgeous pic of an Eastern Kingbird at Normandale Lake Park in Bloomington where I walk often.

Been weeding/pruning/tying up roses all morning so now have thorns in my fingers...2 fingers even though I wore rubber gloves....need to be more careful or wear leather/suede, LOL

I just read this morning and saw a graph by the US Fish and Wildlife Services that the most deaths in birds is from cats.....much more than glass or wind turbines....like 20 times more....off the charts more..
Couldn't paste and copy that graph for some reason.

Unfortunately, we have a lot of feral cats in my city...

Lani - love your pup in your morning post....color and ears of course reminded me of Ollie man, especially if it had a pointy snout..rather than like it does!
Wish I could share our beautiful weather today: Mid 70's with low dew point and some light wind..
Perfect gardening weather.

Phyl

« Reply #5189 on: June 07, 2024, 12:29:21 PM »

This invisible killer takes out 3.5 billion U.S. birds a year

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/premium/article/birds-windows-collisions-glass-deaths?loggedin=true&rnd=1717738298721

Alternate for non subscribers
https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/bring-birds-back/

I posted an alternate link from  Cornell (above) that works and says about the same as Nat Geo Premimum.

Here it is, again: Alternate for non subsribers
https://www.birds.cornell.edu/home/bring-birds-back/[/url

Sauces bald eagle cam