Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 546497 times)

karengramke

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #5190 on: June 07, 2024, 01:54:43 PM »

Lani, is that .chihuahua doggie making Margaritas? Too much shaking for a Martini!  Looks like Piper with erect ears!
Tsk, you need a shirt!   Tim, too!
Thanks Phyl!
Kb, ferral cats are a major problem everywhere!   Not only do they kill birds but suffer from bad weather, like your northern climes but also suffer from untreated disease, starvation,  but provide a food source for  wildlife!
There was an active program in Springfield  when I lived there to  spay/neuter  these animals.  One .
Saturday a month a vet would volunteer .  All trapped kitties were tested for disease and those with feline leuk were euthanized.  Those who were healthily were spayed or neutered!   They were also given a series of vaccinations and returned to where they were trapped!   It took so long to spay tgat they eventually began doing males only!  The neuters were quick!   I have no idea if this is still ongoing but if anyone is interested in this I am sure you could contact a vet group in your town and try to establish a similar program!  It only tajes one oerson!  Too bad such a origram cannot be done nationwide!better fir kitties as wekl as birds and everyone!

« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 02:22:52 PM by karengramke »

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5191 on: June 07, 2024, 03:46:52 PM »

PUFF   That sounds like a  very strange occurrence with the garage door  :o

LANI  I have that familiar bird in flight silhouette on my tall sliders.  Only 1 death so far in 16 years.  Do the same as you with the stunned ones.  Doesn't happen too often .

LISA   We have all our windows open today as well  Nice breezes today as well.

KB  Beautiful Eastern Kingbird.  Gorgeous day here too.  Had some time this afternoon and went back to church garden and finished what we didn't have time for yesterday.  Also Miracle-Gro'd everthing with my hose sprayer.

KAREN  i don't understand people who let their cats out.  Lots do.  I just don't understand it.
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #5192 on: June 07, 2024, 04:01:25 PM »

We have a great program to catch and sterilize feral cats here...One woman is particularly good at capturing them..They clip their ears after treated

Not insignificant is people who have what they call "indoor/outdoor" cats...regular cats who are allowed to go out and kill/eat whatever they want and come home whenever they want...
I see them on my video camera all the time in my yard....they are NOT escapees, as I keep track of those on fb..

It's a serious problem here and I'm sure everywhere.

there's a great guy I follow on twitter in Thailand who is capturing and sterilizing loose/street dogs..His name is Niall Harbison...he's incredible and I think has sterilized 10,000 dogs so far. He's also building a hospital.
they have a different problem there with what they call street dogs.

If people want to save birds similar programs need to occur here in the US for Cats.

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #5193 on: June 07, 2024, 04:05:08 PM »

LisaG- Happy belated heavenly birthday to your Mama yesterday.   Hope your real Dad had a Happy Birthday yesterday.  That will be nice when you are able to go see your Dad.  I bet it made his day when you called him! :)     Hope your appt today went well. :)

Karen- My Grandson is 13 right now - growing taller too!

Tsk- Yes I am feeling older - especially seeing my Grandson graduate from 8th grade and remembering how it was when I was that age! ;)     You mentioned working out in the Garden at your Church, so does this mean you might be getting a little used to the Cicadas now?   Like the T-shirt that LisaG posted!

Oldguy- Thank you for great links!

Lani- Thank you!  Yes!!  High School; the next big step in his young life!   Watched the weather report earlier and wow, Phoenix sure is having the heat right now!! :o ::)  Good that you are prepared for any emergency that might ever arise.  Glad all of you have received Fire Restrictions.  Wish everybody would receive the same no matter where their location is.  Stay safe.

Phyl- Graduation was very nice.  They really go all out in making these ceremonies very special.  It was beautifully done. The ceremony itself lasted 2 hrs.  It was outdoors - began at 4:00, but we had to be there at 3:15 (had to do with the reserved seating).
Thank you for Amy's blog - I have been watching DNN!   

Clynn- Peregrine Falcons  ;D

Kb-  No fun getting poked with thorns - ouch!  New gloves should be on your list! ;)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5194 on: June 07, 2024, 05:53:17 PM »

EAGLES   I am eagerly waiting for this cicada thing to be done!  I miss sitting on my patio  LOL
Chicagoland

oldguy

« Reply #5195 on: June 07, 2024, 06:30:44 PM »

Hello Beakers

Another sunny morning - cloudy this afternoon - chance of rain overnight - .1in forecast.  High of 82 today.  Most of Iowa is now out of the drought - 28% is abnormally dry - just to our west from south central to north east.  Most of the rivers have been near or above flood stage for parts of May.
We have not heard any cicadas at this time... :-\

Hawaii is still not erupting - a new lava flow map is now available
https://www.usgs.gov/maps/june-6-2024-kilauea-southwest-rift-zone-eruption

Iceland now only has 1 active spatter cone, that is feeding a perched lava pond.

A new video released by the demolition team of the bridge truss explosive cutting off of Dali...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOy58mj1oN8

Farewell! (ENG SUB)   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UreEbqTWJXw

Cats spend a relaxing time in the tent   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i2CX8jcFEo

How To Help Your Cats Deal with Stress   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nAejZ1I50k&t=0s

THE WINNER OF BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT 2024 SYDNIE CHRISRMAS   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qRNdZ6G6B4
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #5196 on: June 07, 2024, 06:31:06 PM »

KB, Karen Tsk---all Beakers:

Eartipping is the universal sign of an altered community cat. One centimeter (1 cm) is removed from the tip of the left ear in a straight line cut. Eartips are readily visible from a distance, making it easy for caretakers, trappers and animal control personnel to immediately identify a cat as spayed or neutered.

I have been a staunch supporter of Alley Cat Allies for 40 years.  They are the very best in their field. Their website is an invaluable resource for knowledge and care of 'community cats the world over.

Alley Cat Allies
https://www.alleycat.org/

Alley Cat Allies works worldwide to protect and improve the lives of cats, from those who share our homes to community cats who live and thrive outdoors. Through direct, lifesaving care, law and policy change, humane education and resources, and so much more, we’re creating a better world for cats and kittens—community by community.

Community Cat Protocol: Eartipping

https://www.alleycat.org/resources/feral-cat-protocol-eartipping/

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

karengramke

« Reply #5197 on: June 07, 2024, 06:37:44 PM »

Kb, it is common practice to notch the ear or tatoo after a spay /neuter.  Trapping is easy!  Use a humane trap and some=fried chicken!  Locate it where the cats are ,usually at dusk and wait for morning!  May take a few nights and a few odd catches and maybe a bucket if chicken but they will  come!  I helped with this in Springfield and would do it again if I was more mobile and there was a viable program here!  Would be interesting for you to try it!   
Thanks Phyl. 

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #5198 on: June 07, 2024, 06:48:29 PM »

some bounce
I'll not say what I want to about the indoor outdoor neighborhood cats.  >:(
Yesterday was laundry day and today was groceries and mowing.
We tried something new tonight to accompany our Polska kielbasa... Corazon Ranchero potatoes. Yum. They come frozen and may be cooked in the microwave or air fryer.
Dessert will be angel food cake topped with sliced peaches and hot honey.
SED
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

karengramke

« Reply #5199 on: June 07, 2024, 07:09:45 PM »

Tig, had to look up your dinner taters!  Sound delish. Let us know if they, are good!

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #5200 on: June 07, 2024, 07:39:36 PM »

Karen Went back to find your post on your query on voice changes  with aging---AI to the rescue

https://www.google.com/search?q=Here%E2%80%99s+how+your+voice+changes+as+you+age&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS832US832&oq=Here%E2%80%99s+how+your+voice+changes+as+you+age&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIGCAEQRRg8MgYIAhBFGDzSAQgyNTk1ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Eagles that's nice that schools take extra time to make the ceremony so nice. DNN will be an exciting nest to follow.

CLynn  very colorful greeting this AM; very interesting about Diamond Head Crater, great photo. Tks for
Norwich Peregrine Falcon  snap and update...eyas is so fluffy and cute. Very interesting article on cicadas.

Lisa   Dad's been gone since 1983 .  June 27th  would be 108 yrs had he lived. In twenty days , I will bake his favorite cake, German Chocolate.
I will cut apiece for myself and one for Dad and put in a small plate in the Lily of the Valley china he gave  Mom one Christmas when we were all 'kids'.  I'll leave them there on the dinning table until Jim comes home. Jim will sit down and we'll each eat our slices.
In WWII he and his  outfit were sheltered by a German farmer and his family. The farmers wife was an unbelievable cook and she made a German Chocolate cake
from scratch on night for dessert after everyone ate...  Dad loved the cake. The framers wife wrote the recipe out as Dad translated to English.

It's all 'okay'---Those we truly love never leave us.  I do the same for my mother with her favorite cake,  in August.

Karen/Lisa Blessed Heavenly Birthday to your Dad and Lisa to your mom.

Tsk awww Raggedy Ann.

Lani  When I posted the Nat Geo article on birds flying into glass there was an alternate link to the article from Cornell Lab on Ornithology
Cute bartender French BullDog---looks like he shakes 'em just right. James Bond would be very happy with his martini.

{{{Puff}}} so sorry about the nest

Good Night Everyone...    sleep well.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 07:46:47 PM by Phyl »

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

kbshcb

« Reply #5201 on: June 07, 2024, 08:15:13 PM »

Kb, it is common practice to notch the ear or tatoo after a spay /neuter.  Trapping is easy!  Use a humane trap and some=fried chicken!  Locate it where the cats are ,usually at dusk and wait for morning!  May take a few nights and a few odd catches and maybe a bucket if chicken but they will  come!  I helped with this in Springfield and would do it again if I was more mobile and there was a viable program here!  Would be interesting for you to try it!   
Thanks Phyl.

Of course, Karen, that's why I mentioned it. I'm very aware.

There are a group of people that do it successfully. Greta Kotz is our go to..she'll go out day or night.

I just gave my trap to a citizen yesterday to use for humanely catching a chipmunk that wouldn't leave her garage. She posted her need on our fb page.

I follow these things and report what I see. I've helped recover several dogs in my neighborhood.

I'll leave the cat catching to our expert.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 08:23:17 PM by kbshcb »

oldguy

« Reply #5202 on: June 07, 2024, 08:53:12 PM »

SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

karengramke

« Reply #5203 on: June 07, 2024, 09:22:40 PM »

Eagles, I am not sure when you leave on your cruise but want to wish you a great vacation and safe sailing whenever it is!   Know it was soon after tge. Graduation!

The help killed the pesky fly today with a rolled up catalog!   She is going out and about tomorrow and is going to look for a couple of the old fashioned fly swatters!   One for her and one for me!

Tsk, I know these would not help with the cicadas but soon they should be gone and give you your patio back!
Seds  beakers!

karengramke

« Reply #5204 on: June 07, 2024, 10:00:04 PM »

Bill Anders  Astronaut
 on Apollo 8 has died.  He was 90 and died in a plane crash. Off the San Juan Islands off the cost of Washington.  He s piloting his own plane when it crashed in the water.  He was believed to be the only person on board.