Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 545875 times)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #5160 on: June 06, 2024, 11:00:28 AM »

📺TOUCAN TV

IMPORTANT NOTE: TOUCAN TV will become HAWK TV for the foreseeable future while we welcome a young hawk on her journey back to the wild.

Meet Chira, a gray-lined hawk who was held captive for many months in someone’s home. Instead of turning her over to a wildlife rehabilitation center, the person who found her kept her in a bird cage where he fed her a diet of bread and food scraps. She was finally brought to us after she was confiscated from the home of her captor by MINAE.

While she arrived in good health, spending so much time in a small metal cage has completely destroyed her flight feathers. Chira will stay in the green enclosure until her flight feathers grow back and she relearns how to fly. You can witness her amazing recovery LIVE on HAWK TV!

As a wildlife rescue center, we must make the best decisions for the animals in our care. We thank you all for your understanding and for supporting Chira on her rehabilitation journey. And we promise that the toucans will be back!

Gray-lined Hawk
https://ebird.org/species/gryhaw3/

« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 05:39:05 PM by Lani »
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

LisaG1967

« Reply #5161 on: June 06, 2024, 11:10:28 AM »

Phyl & Lani - Thanks for the D-Day reminder post.  Today would have been my Mom's 77th birthday, and it is also my real Dad's 81st birthday.  He was happy to hear from me. 

tsk - LOL, you had hitchhiker!  I don't blame Tim, I would not want to mow either with all the cicada's.  We use to rarely have a tornado here, but it seems to be more common now. 

Lani
- I texted Bradley this morning to see if all was ok, he said they were good.  Thanks for the updates on TRR/Hawk cam.  Poor Chira! Also, thanks for the Royal updates!

kbshcb

« Reply #5162 on: June 06, 2024, 11:48:26 AM »

tsk
that sorta looks like my asiatic lily...mine is orange.

Bunnies never ate them before but we had a very mild winter and for some reason the babies ate most of mine including my gorgeous oriental one which is white...
Never fenced them before either but I guess I'll have to start unless this year was just a fluke?

Mowed the back yard which once again was pretty long but only a week since last one.

Noticed my climbing roses are starting to fill in. The bunnies brought them to the ground 2 years ago when only plastic fenced.
The red one on the left ladder is still getting ready to bloom....I totally lost 2 of my original 5, alternated red and pink.

Sorry for the ferns obscuring their view a bit...tomorrow pruning/weeding the back gardens is on my list.

karengramke

« Reply #5163 on: June 06, 2024, 12:02:47 PM »

Good morning!  Beautiful scenes in your pictures yesterday and today!   Cannot pick a favorite!   I am showered, dressed, hair combed , house  picked up , waiting  for. The nurse from home heath care to arrive and do an assessment for P T!   Supposed to be here sometime between 11 and 1!   Hope sooner rather  than later!

Today is a sad day in our History but then it turned into one to celebrate with  the eventual  removing of a terrible dictator!   A time when our country was united in our fight for democracy!

Found out last night that one of my HS friends, in Chicago has died!   Had been unable to reach her and finally got her daughter who delivered the news!   She had hd heart disease and covid!   Please get your vaccinations!
 Our original group of 16 has dwindled!  Two are not heard from, been that way for years!    Half of us are still  going on, some better than others.   One has serious dementia but is in a good place!  Very happy and does not remember the death of her husband or son!  Goes about her day and she is well!   Enough!

Phyl, happy your tests were good!  Hope you can get some relief from  your nose pain!  Good news on the bbs!  My finches are doing fine!  See the parents flying in and out for feeding!

Lisa, watch out for the storms!   Think we will have more of these!   Have two firms coming to give me estimates oh generators!   Not cheap!
Lani, do take care in that heat!  Lots of cleanup!  Thanks for the RA.report .  They are doing great!

I have some of the old kitchen utensils!  Not the mixer but about all of the others!  Use them on occasion!

Pt evaluation jut finished!  Sending ot as well!  They did not want to do it as they said I am doing too well!   Have them 3 weeks and then a review!
Bbl

« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 04:40:06 PM by karengramke »

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5164 on: June 06, 2024, 01:15:26 PM »

LANI   Wow  interesting story on Chira, the hawk.  She will get the best care where she is.  Fed bread... ::) ::) ::) :P :P

LISA   Awww.  Lots of the good memories today of Mom's past birthdays. :-*  Happy birthday to Dad  ;D

KB  Beautiful roses.    What is the vine on your fence?

KAREN   In my experience it is often hard- if Medicare is your primary - to justify the home care even tho you may, in fact, need it. Maybe your secondary will pick up a few visits.
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #5165 on: June 06, 2024, 01:24:41 PM »

tsk - Virginia Creeper.....must be controlled for sure.

I use it as a privacy barrier from my creeper neighbor....slats in the fence don't do it.

Eagles4evr1116

• Decorah follower since 04/06/2011.
« Reply #5166 on: June 06, 2024, 04:02:05 PM »

Phyl- Like the kitchen utencils!  Glad for your good report on your tests!  Thank you for the 'D' day remembrance.

Clynn- The Munchkins had a great time with you yesterday!! Great pics  :)   Glad that Erin got to see his birthday greetings. ;D   Like the Osprey pics.  I see that DNN is on fledge watch!

LisaG- That is quite the weather over in your neck of the woods.  Hope you all stay safe.

Tsk- Good for Tim in hiring someone to mow the lawn! Cicadas! 

Tig- Fish and healthy food! ;D

Lani- Thank you for Albie updates.  Wishing all the best for Chira!

Kb- Too bad for your Plants.  I know you work hard to have a beautiful yard.

Karen- Sorry about your HS friend passing.   Glad your finches are doing fine!

We are getting ready to go to our Grandson's 8th grade graduation! :)

karengramke

« Reply #5167 on: June 06, 2024, 04:59:27 PM »

Oh, Eagles, you will have a teen ager!   The next four years  will fly by!  Many changes will occur!  An Exciting time!

Tsk, so true about  convincing Medicare!  I have never had them turn me down on a covered  procedure!   Have had good service from them!

Lisa, a day of many firsts in life without Mama!   Good contact with Dad.

Poor Cira!   Glad she is out if a canary house and good wishes for her!
94 here today, will have 97 one day next week!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 05:03:50 PM by karengramke »

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #5168 on: June 06, 2024, 05:32:10 PM »

Hi Beakers!

I've been busy, and have just quickly skimmed through a few days of posts...

My 1st husband's mother used to make the most delicious homemade ketchup from her tomatoes... I got spoiled with how good and fresh it tasted! But she didn't bottle very much of it, so I always felt privileged to get some of it!

I watched the Boeing Starliner launch, and as soon as it had liftoff, I ran outside and about a minute or so later, got to watch it fly by where I live, so I waved at the 2 NASA astronauts on board, with a wish for God speed. The launch went well, but they had several failures with thrusters for approaching the ISS for docking, and helium gas leaks, too, which affected the  operation of the thrusters. They were safe though, and the backup thrusters got them there and docked. I'm very nervous for them.

(((Lisa))), extra hugs and thinking of you especially today on your Mama's birthday. I was hoping you and Jeff, and Bradley and family, didn't get hit by all those tornadoes and severe storms last night!

Clynn, I wasn't in the Beak yesterrday, and I missed wishing Erin a Happy Birthday then.  Belated wishes to Erin on his birthday!  The Munchkins look very busy and very happy!!  Clynn, I can relate to what you said... I can't watch a manned space launch anymore without the image of the Challenger's fatal one running through my mind.

I will need to do a better job of catching up later, Beakers.  Gotta run for now.

Take care, All. Peace. SED.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #5169 on: June 06, 2024, 06:21:09 PM »

The Braves Memorial at Omaha Beach, Normandy

CLynn pretty greeting this AM; Y/W to Erin;  Yes. This is the start of the 3rd nest.  I know several years ago , not this 'Mom and Dad' . But their G.GrandParents, started a 3rd nest and suddenly abandoned it leaving a solitary egg. As we were a bit 'novice' we did some research and learned
the when an egg isn't viable the nest is abandoned leaving the egg.   So, Jim cleaned it all out and disinfected/aired/closed up for the season.
I told bim to leave the egg in the 'V' of the willow as an offering to Nature/God. Jim did ---nest morning it was gone.   Sooooooo, let's hope
this isn't the case in 2024.   Tks for Hellgate update on Iris, Finn and 3 eggs.
You and the Munchkins had quite a day yesterday! They look great---loving parents and G Parents, good nutrition and balanced life---all to the credit of immediate family.  ;)

Tsk the scrambles w/salsa are so tasty---like the  hot and spicy.  {{{Tim}}} hopefully he's Doc appt next week will provide relief

{{{Lisa}}}   Remembering your mom   :-* ; really like your AM greeting; warrantees are a huge help w/repairs; what's been going on with the trail cam amd Mons. LePepe?   be on alert for the storms  ;)

Lani I meant to comment on the awesome sunset last night  :(  'Thanks Clynn"

Lani tks for update on  the Royal Albies, TTR and the new site name to "HAWK TV" ---{{{Chira}}}  . 
The Royals are looking good and really growing. Mindful of the heat index.

Hi Eagles   :)

Karen so glad your finches are doing well. LOL the Finch kids are keeping Mom and Dad busy for sure.  I learned to cook/bake on those vintage
utensils.  I still have some of them---in use too.  Wishing you the best in your PT/OT reviews.   Always moving forward.

Hi Bazi   :)

Remembering Charlie and Marie, two wonderful members of 'The Greatest Generation'. RIP Dad and Mom.  :-*

Good Night Everyone...    sleep well.

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

BrokenLug

« Reply #5170 on: June 06, 2024, 07:01:38 PM »

Lani do take it very easy on your Firewise project in this heat.

Hover over the 'stations' for the days details ..
http://tiny.cc/jagfyz

I see in the forecast for your area the temps will be very hot for that elev. for the next 7 days.   ::)
U. S. A.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5171 on: June 06, 2024, 07:16:08 PM »

KB  Well if you have a perfect place for that creeper, why not.

EAGLES  8th grade graduation - Starting to feel older?  LOL  Should be fun. ;D

BAZI   How cool was that!!!!!   a wave to the astronauts  ;D  I heard about that docking problem briefly on the radio.  I fear for them as well..
Like you said to CLYNN   I too think of Challenger so I don't mind watching the safe rerun of a successful trip.

PHYL  Thanks for the Memorial at Omaha Beach.
Chicagoland

oldguy

« Reply #5172 on: June 06, 2024, 07:26:09 PM »

Hello Beakers

NASA/Boing Engineers believe that the helium leaks are not a threat to the mission.  Full story below...
https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/06/science/boeing-starliner-new-helium-leaks-scn/index.html

This is a recap of the SpaceX Starship test flight from today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m0TY6i1Kuo
« Last Edit: June 06, 2024, 09:45:39 PM by oldguy »
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5173 on: June 07, 2024, 12:29:00 AM »

{{{Lisa}}} glad to hear all is well with Bradley and family.  :) .. Happy Heavenly birthday to your mama!  :-* And happy birthday to your real dad. I bet he did enjoy when you called him. ;D

Tsk, I'm with Tim "no mowing over cicadas" ICK!  :-\

Kb, beautiful garden

{{{Karen}}} I'm sorry to hear one of your HS friends has died. It's wonderful you've kept in close contact with them... glad your finch family is doing well. ... so glad you're doing well, the pt has really helped. I hope you'll be able to continue.

Eagles, Happy Graduation and Congratulations to your grandson! A young teenager ready for highschool!  8)

Baz, good to see you, take care  :)

{{{Phyl}}} Remembering Charlie and Marie. Thank you.

SED Puff, Tig

BL, thanks for your concern, it was a warm one today, 95.  :P .. Thanks for the link... it's going to be hot for the next few days.... We've been sent Fire Restrictions for our area starting today.

Oldguy, thanks for links

Hellgate 2 days till Pip Watch! Research reveals osprey eggs hatch between 36-42 days. Iris's hatch history is between 35-37 days. Most of her 1st eggs hatched on day 37, 2nd & 3rd on 36 or 35. Egg 2 could hatch between June 9-11 and Egg 3 could hatch between June 16-18. (Remember Egg 1 was kicked out of the nest by Finn)

Iris Attacked By Great Horned Owl on Hellgate Osprey Cam | May 21, 2024 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Q9-CieAYw

May 22, 2024  #montana #nowplaying #wildlife
A Great Horned Owl aggressively attacked Iris during the night, knocking her off the nest and into the dark night skies. While the owl remained on the edge of the nest, an osprey (presumably Iris) made several swoops at the owl, eventually convincing it to depart the nest. We could see the shadow of Iris as she returned from across the parking lot, and after perching and alerting using a more rarely heard, almost mechanical/duck-like high-alert vocalization, she settled back into the nest, remaining alert for some time after.

Usually Great Horned Owls aren't a threat to an adult Osprey, but they are known to prey on nestlings. Only time will tell if the owl continues to probe Iris' defenses as the incubation period continues, and we're hopeful that Iris' stalwart defense of her nest and her formidable size will convince the owl that this nest isn't worth the attention.

Good night!

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Eaglesrock, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Lisa, Jeff and Family, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Tsk/Tim's cousin Joe, Lori, grandmothers and family, Baz, Eaglesrock, Eagles Mom, Tsk's bro and wife Margaret, Karen and Piper, Lisa's FIL, Puff, Clynn,  Tig, Tsk and Tim, Lisa's Jeff, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Paulie, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Jicaji, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, Clynn's mom and Ed, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Lisa, Jeff and Family, Clynn, Tim and Tsk, Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Puff, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Denton eaglets and nest, Trempealeau Eagles’ Nest, Tiny Tammy and Paws of War, Harley and his little siblings, Miss Maggie, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all the Feral cats, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #5174 on: June 07, 2024, 06:08:44 AM »

Good Morning Everyone ! 
Happy Friday 

Currently: 62F sunny , High  84F sunny,  Low 62F

Eagles how was your G.son's 8th grade graduation?  He's officially a 'teenager'.

OG tks for the space links

{{{Karen}}} loss of a school friend

Tsk you got cicadas  that thick?!  Tim not mowing  ;)

Lani the heat indices can be deadly--you know, stay hydrated

Dina, Sauces nest Channel Islands, California   5-19-21

Prayers for: The Beakroom and Cheers.; Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people.  Greenfield, IA;Laken Riley, all those like her and family .
 'Little Gray' and 'Little One' ...All abandoned, abused , lost cats ... stray, unloved, homeless stray and feral cats;
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere .

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam