Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 1002700 times)

kbshcb

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #7455 on: July 27, 2023, 06:57:38 AM »

Morning all....unbearably hot here today....showers a possibility tonight as a cooler front comes in.

Lisa - Did your mom make it to her hotel alright?

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #7456 on: July 27, 2023, 07:19:33 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!!

A good day with the Munchkins yesterday, but I was tired (didn't sleep as good as usual...)! Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed this morning! Only 3 more Wednesdays until school starts, my little Bella will be in Kindergarten! The first picture, 2018.

Phyl, Anthony looking good! Morning pic reminds me of Hollie Hobbie! And yes, I do remember that playground problem!

Lani, you got some more rain!  Love the news about your great nephew Peyton! What an accomplishment, and I am sure he has hopes for the Olympics, he is well on the way! Great picture of Peyton with his dad, he looks so happy!  Thank you for the news on Manaaki, my goodness he is huge! You really can't tell how huge until you have something to compare with! He totally fills that weighing basket!

Lisa, oh my, glitchy A/C for your drive from Decorah! Glad it's fixed! What ever did people do in the days before A/C? I know my grandparents never had A/C in their old house, we spent a month there every summer we were in the States. But we were kids and most kids don't mind the heat!  Baby month is coming!

baz, I do hope you get to the bottom of your freezer!  ;D I have a big upright freezer in the garage and I have been trying to use food so I can defrost it later this fall. Like you, I can't seem to pass up good bargains! Sometimes I send stuff home with Erin. I need to go get something out for supper tonight!

Wild Instincts Rehab Wisconsin

Black Eagle Project Roodekrans
This awesome photo of the chick at 50 days old was taken by David Whyte yesterday morning at the Walter Sisulu National Botanical Gardens. Yesterday was rather quiet in the Gardens probably due to the chilly weather. We did however have some interesting discussions with some visitors. David opted to go to the top of the Waterfall where the wind was blowing vigorously, while the BEPR Monitors opted to monitor from below the Waterfall where we had a little protection from the wind. We are expecting the chick to fledge in another 40 to 50 days time.

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

LisaG1967

« Reply #7457 on: July 27, 2023, 07:20:02 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

tsk - I am going to give the service advisor till 10am to call me back, and let me know what is going on.  If, I don't hear by then going to call.  I really don't want to go all weekend and into next week without air in car.  Last appt, she said if A1C went up, she was going to give me some insulin to try and get it down.  We will see.  I go on Aug 2nd for my appt. 

tig - Thanks!  I am waiting to talk to her, as when she got to hotel last evening she was too busy catching up with her Miss Fisher friends.  ;D

kb - Mom had a layover in Denver, so not sure which way her plane flew in....gonna guess NW?  She did make it to the hotel ok.  She was not crazy about her Uber trip from my Aunt's house in New Orleans to the airport tho.  It was her first time using an Uber, and the guy who picked her up was starting to drive towards downtown New Orleans and not the airport. 

Phyl - I love taking pics, so yep, I was a picture snapping fool.   :D  Baby's name is picked out, but it has been kept a secret from everyone.  They aren't saying what it is till she is born.  Oh, loved those Highlight books when I was a kid. Great pics from cams. 

karen - Yes, bad news on the car AC, but I would like for my A1C to be lower like 7.0.  I need to work on it. 

E4E - Jeff is going to be called Pop, and I will be Nanna.  All of my godchildren call me Nana, so I wanted something to kinda go with that. 

Lani - I hope I get some me time soon.  I hope I am not having to pay anything for the AC fix in my car.  I do have an extended warranty, which a no deductible. 

clynn - Great pics of the munchkins.  Awww, how exciting for Bella to be going to school.  I think the kids take the heat better than us adults for sure!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 07:23:25 AM by LisaG1967 »

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7458 on: July 27, 2023, 07:34:24 AM »

Hot and humid today  75 heading to 91   89% humidity and dew point 73  uggg

KB  Hope the whole insurance thing is a win in your favor when all is said and done.  We will be very hot today as well. Only have to go to ne morning meeting today and the rest inside.  Outdoor projects are waiting....

PHYL   Cute good night peeps.  ;)  I think Highlights magazine is still around??    Puddle under the swing - for sure a big problem then  LOL

LANI  Fingers crossed for Peyton  ;D

CLYNN  " grateful heart" is going on my mirror today!   Gosh Bella is growing up in the Beak room!!!  I suspect you have her whole wardrobe prepared for kindergarten already  LOLOL  Funny bears on roof.   ;D ;D    Black eagle finally changing color  ;)

Today we remember the passing of our leader Bab Anderson 8 years ago now  RIP Bob
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 07:35:56 AM by tsk34 »
Chicagoland

oldguy

« Reply #7459 on: July 27, 2023, 07:57:04 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Ugly hot here - 99 today and tomorrow... mid 70s dew point - feels like temp of 110  - and I work both days

some wake up videos for the day...

They show the audience towards the end ;) ::)
TWISTING THE NIGHT AWAY   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzxB40ObqQY

Step Dancers perform "Cripple Creek"   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaxY_ctkI5k

Simon's Cat's GUIDE TO EVERYTHING   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7u9hRjg_Ec

Quarantine Kids play "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey"   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-I1SpPD9Kg

SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7460 on: July 27, 2023, 09:43:23 AM »

some bounce
OG - stay safe!

Long story... but... Camper "rescued" 4 house plants from a sidewalk yesterday evening. I left them outside atop a milk crate and then gave them a good inspection and clean up this a.m. I found some jury-rigged planter saucers and now need to determine a place in the house for these, um, plants. I don't even know what they are. Hmmm...
We got 12 drops overnight.
We got a nice thank you email from our friends at the lake with a picture of their family enjoying ice cream at the downtown shop in June.
Clynn... nice posts this a.m.
HAGD all
Having some raspberries from the garden on my yogurt...
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #7461 on: July 27, 2023, 10:32:26 AM »

Remembering and honoring Robert J. Anderson, Biologist and Conservationist

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #7462 on: July 27, 2023, 10:35:42 AM »

Brook Falls King Otis returns  :-*. See him from the time he enters the River, through his first salmon catch.
Video Courtesy JG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww1G97nlEyc&t=5s

He's back in his office. May he be blessed with a great summer and lots of salmon! 8)

Good morning Beakers!
Morning Lilbro, Blschue, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Karen, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, Nrstooge, Omasawyer, Paulie, jicaji, LB, and All!
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

« Reply #7463 on: July 27, 2023, 10:43:03 AM »

Royal Albatross - 7/27
Wind and Wings

Manaaki used the winds to help him with his wingercizes, and strengthen those flight muscles.
He also attempted a jump or two while hopping about.   
Clever chick.  ;D

A Black-billed gull dropped in to look, too.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1684561514903347200

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #7464 on: July 27, 2023, 11:05:16 AM »

I wanted to share with you a post that I found in the RRP Blog from August 7th, 2015.  "What Bob Anderson Meant to Me".  The story is very close to my heart...  Thank you  Bob Anderson, RRP and our dear Raptor feather friends for making such a big difference in so many lives, I am truly grateful to all of you, especially my friends in the  Beak Room!
https://raptorresource.blogspot.com/search?q=what+bob+anderson+meant+to+me

Thank you for the photos of Bob in honoring him today Lani & Phyl! I have one to share also... :)

Bob Anderson, right, bands a peregrine falcon chick in 2014 at the US Bank in downtown La Crosse, assisted by Amy Ries and Dave Kester of the Decorah, Iowa-based Raptor Resource Project. The longtime researcher and driving force in restoring peregrine falcons in the Midwest was also was known for the famous Decorah "eagle cam."  more pics and article at https://lacrossetribune.com/photos-peregrine-falcon-banding-in-downtown-la-crosse/collection_1235d299-ec48-5837-a86f-10b96c8e7e15.html#10  you may not be able to view with ad blocker.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 11:22:17 AM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #7465 on: July 27, 2023, 11:09:02 AM »

It's been eight years since Bob Anderson left us. 
David Lynch's tribute is as true now as it ever was then.

Rest In Peace Bob
Fly high with the eagles you so loved.
We're forever in your debt.

Remembering Bob Anderson
By RRP board member David Lynch
July 27, 2022  RaptorResource

"Seven years ago today the world lost a great advocate for nature, and we lost a good friend. This is a favorite picture of Bob and I, after we rescued fledgling eagle FOUR in 2014. We were in the process of reuniting her with her sibling D18 in Decorah, Iowa after we found her trapped in a cornfield, unable to fly herself out. That was quite a day, full of memories, laughs and good times."

Bob Anderson (right) and David Lynch (left) rescuing fledgling eagle Four from the Decorah compost yard in 2014.

"I miss my friend. For those who knew Bob. I ask that you try and do something good for nature or the environment today in his memory. The world is a lesser place without his presence."
"As Bob would say…live long and prosper"

"If you aren’t familiar with Bob and his work, you can learn more about his remarkable life here: https://www.raptorresource.org/about-us/remembering-bob-anderson/. We established a scholarship to honor Bob’s legacy. If you’d like to donate or learn more about it, follow this link: https://www.raptorresource.org/support-the-raptor-resource-project/the-robert-anderson-memorial-scholarship-fund/."

"From the bottom of our hearts, thank you."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are some additonal photos I found that reminded me of Bob's tireless work with raptors.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 12:16:35 PM by Phyl »

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

LisaG1967

« Reply #7466 on: July 27, 2023, 11:43:26 AM »

Oh, I hate to sound like a complainer, but my biggest pet peeve is when someone tells you they will call and they don't!  Still have not heard from dealership, and I called at 10am and had to leave a message, and was told they would call right back.  My patience is wearing thin.  ;D

tsk - Oh you are having a hot one too, today.  It was 80° at 7 am here.  Just looked at weather app, and it says severe thunderstorms after 5pm. 

oldguy - Stay hydrated if you have to work outside!  Thanks for videos.

tig - Enjoy your raspberries and yogurt, sounds yummy.

Lani - Thanks for the remembrance pics of Bob.  So good to see King Otis! Thanks for the Royal update.

Lori - Thanks for the blog post...tears!

Phyl - Thanks for Bob pics from David Lynch.

karengramke

« Reply #7467 on: July 27, 2023, 12:45:31 PM »

Well, Clynn, I am not laughing but I am smiling at the memories of
Bob A and his many stories about tracking eaglets, fledglings, etc! 
He was a soecial and dedicated man!  Thanks to the Beakers who have posted about him today!

Good report on Otis, Lani and the Royal As!  Good luck to Peyton!

Enjoyed all the nest up dates!  Anthony doesn’t seem too anxious to leave home!   Door Dash deliveries are too convenient.

Stay Cool .  sure hope all car and home operating systems are repaired soon!   No one calls back!  Actyally they want you to text or email!

Clynn, wonderful pictures of the kids!  Bell looks so grown up!   Lni . Good pictures of your fmilty too!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 01:31:57 PM by karengramke »

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #7468 on: July 27, 2023, 02:07:43 PM »

Happy Day, Beakers!  :)

I am so thankful for Bob Anderson! and RRP!  What a great thing he did, and a wonderful legacy left to be continued by RRP and their supporters.  :-*

Lani, I am so happy to see Otis is back and fishing for salmon at the falls again!  :-* :-*  He kind of gave a scare last year, waiting for him to make it back. I sure hope he has a good, safe year this year! Congrats on Peyton qualifying for this Sunday's 1500!! That's fantastic!!  :D

Lisa, call and tell them you will hold to speak to the person who can give you a proper status report.  That's cray-cray!  ::)

Later, Gators.  Gotta run - it's a "planes, trains, and automobiles!" kind of day!  Well, okay, scratch the "trains" part of that.  Report later.  I'm heading to the car repair shop for an appt... fingers crossed it's not an expensive fix!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #7469 on: July 27, 2023, 02:19:13 PM »

I had saved this article about Bob, it's really good. I hope it's okay that I am providing the link. I think it should be since RRP is a contributor and this is an RRP Forum. (it has 'DO NOT COPY WITHOUT PERMISSION' on it.
https://assets.peregrinefund.org/docs/taf/bor-Anderson-Bob.pdf

https://www.raptorresource.org/about-us/remembering-bob-anderson/#:~:text=Bob%20Anderson%20passed%20away%20on%20July,outdoor%20writer%20and%20friend%20of%20Bob%E2%80%99s.&text=Bob%20Anderson%20passed%20away,and%20friend%20of%20Bob%E2%80%99s.&text=passed%20away%20on%20July,outdoor%20writer%20and%20friend

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/wcfcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/e3/2e398593-854f-5be8-9559-4217df970a96/55b7e4e35e634.image.jpg?crop=1050%2C591%2C0%2C52&resize=1050%2C591&order=crop%2Cresize

karen, I remember being in the 'cam headquarters' garage when I was there years back, I believe tsk was also there!

Lisa, that is one of my biggest pet peeves too and it seems the last time I was peeved it was regarding service on my car! I waited hours for someone to call back...  ::)

Phyl, thanks for the pictures, you can tell that Bob loved his work...

Lani, Manaaki looks ready to take off! Otis! One HUGE bear! I checked the cam, they are waiting patiently...

tig, do those plants look like this?  LOLOL!

oldguy, great Simon! Enjoyed the step dancing!

tsk, yes, I think both Munchkins have enough clothes to start school! I already have some for cooler weather too... (last winter's clearance items...)

RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa) went through Ankeny IA yesterday, headed east. They start at the Missouri River (they dip their tire in the water, ride across all of Iowa and dip their tire in the Mississippi River. This is the 50th Anniversary ride.  There were the record 29,000 registered riders ― and then the thousands of unregistered tag-alongs  https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/life/living-well/ragbrai/2023/07/23/ragbrai-50th-anniversary-ride-draws-huge-crowd-of-riders/70412266007/?fbclid=IwAR3COriPYrVN6T2Wo-r9VoMWVy6UhKQqsxfuppJ7dW5uhsbiyisiaZtvy78
Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown