Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 602064 times)

neva

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24405 on: January 11, 2022, 06:58:44 PM »

Blue-eyed Kitty  ...  27:47       60°  (5:25 pm)  light overcast

Hi Cal and Joho... 

Cal...  It's too bad that your neighbors, whichever one it is, don't realize that their cat can be picked off, easily by Coyotes, if they allow it to be an outdoor cat.  I live in the city and there are always Coyotes in our neighborhood, and they are often killing the cats here that are allowed to run loose.  Sad.  Coyotes in a pack will take on dogs too.  There was a case here of a pack of Coyotes trying to chase down a Rottweiler.  Luckily the owner scared them off.

Joho ...   I think what angers me the most is when some people insist on making the whole thing of vaccines and Covid a political statement.  and a "You can't tell me what to do!" statement.  I really have to restrain myself from what comes to mind as an answer.
They are angry and willful and somehow think they are going to hurt me if they don't get the vaccine ...  they don't seem to understand, first of all, what they are doing to themselves and their loved ones. 

Oh well ... we are doing what we did last year and staying home and being careful. as much as possible. Take care, everyone.  Maybe, eventually we will get to a place where this is something like living with the flu, and yearly shots.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 07:02:39 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #24406 on: January 12, 2022, 06:36:25 AM »

hi you guys its 36 here 52 in the barn no gray cat hope not taking care of kittens my possum family came last night and that siamese again on raccoonie came in the middle of the night

hi joho we are to get snow friday but another nice day here i am tired of people dying getting sick and most still not vaccinated some are but have underlying conditions so unvaccinated spreading it all over sure not helping anyone.

hi neva well i sure got the coyotes here see them all the time hear them they drink from the horse pond sure they do the pond by jims shop on the other side. i dont know for sure if those people own it but since their parents move in with them from florida seen more cats and saw a couple of them walking with their little kids down their drivewayway when they got off the school bus and it irks me to see an outdoor cat or dog irks me for a horse or goat cow to not have a barn. i can not take in anymore cats i am overwhelmed with all i have hoping i outlive them. once when jim let augie out front cause augie liked to go out front he went down the big hill and jim on the porch saw a coyotee heading for augie and he ran off the porch ran it away got augie in i had a fit too let them out in the 5 ft chain link fence out back and go with them ron and dee had lots of cow and ron checked on them all the time once a few coyotees trying to get to a new calf and that mom stomped the ground left a huge rut and ron ran them off but then i worried for a long time about that. but no coyotee ever got one same time i do not want coyottes murder treated mean. well lawrence was breathing 50/50 jim said doing better than yesterday morning said he is not doing better now took an xray of his lungs and they are hardening my blood ran cold like dawns did. his two sons got a plane yesterday and heading down to florida so i dont know he is still alive as of this morning. i am really sick of people dying i got into with my stupid niece nicole boobies middle one know it all nicole who no will tell her to vaccinated or her kids 16 and 12 she was mad at me for not seeing them at christmas tuff i told her not getting sick or dying for her stupid not getting vaccinated . jim was coughing and gagging yesterday and i stay away from him wore my gloves sprayed down every thing he touched. i can not leave pearl or griz or my kids i cant.  tired of living in fear. stressed out.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/DE055D5B571C?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #24407 on: January 12, 2022, 07:22:41 AM »

Good morning ev1.  6:41 hornbill.
Nice start to day here dry little wind and 33° at 8am Nice.
Had dinner at the hungry bear restaurant last night.  Had the special chicken parmesan over spaghettis.   Was good, but not my favorite any time soon.  Should have had their breakfast for dinner.  This was Joan's favorite place to visit.  So I have many good memories when I am there.  The help has changed a lot and is often over worked and surly, but I just keep trying to cheer them up so I feel better when it is time to tip them. Some remember that Joan was a big tipper.  Most don't remember her at all.  Takes away some of my pleasure.  I don't like change and place a high value on consistency in food service.
Good to be here.  Now coffee and cereal waiting.  So CUL EV1 GB

calihoula

« Reply #24408 on: January 12, 2022, 08:10:47 AM »

hi joho neva i saw my gray cat in the barn giving pearl her meds grain. i have a dog bed up in that hay cat been sleeping there can look down see food bowls water who comes in heat vent close by pearl so funny sweets too i have a coffee can full of grain also little sack of frosted mini wheats or corn chips something for weight in one little container scoop of her medicine for epm other container scoop of weight gain and scoop healthe nerve repair from epm her little black rubber pan i put a handful of grain in her pan her epm med it too is pellets like her grain hold that to her she eats that then i dump rest of her grain in her pan with weight gain cereal or chips i go in and set her pan on top of her hay in her feeder i am slow she gets excited for that runs to her feeder but im not there yet she gets mouthy runs to me come on come on! i put it in there and she goes to town. throw sweetie boy some snacks gotta go lots to do stay safe you guys gb us all
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #24409 on: January 12, 2022, 11:21:10 AM »

Thanks Cal for giving us the image in words that you do.  I can almost see and hear the whole thing, and I love it. LOL GB

calhound

« Reply #24410 on: January 13, 2022, 06:21:21 AM »

hi you guys its 43 here 52 in the barn one gray cat 2 raccoonies food pans in the empty so gray cat had a raccoonie party they came out to get some cookies from me. i looked out my bathroom window at 6pm last night and saw that big siamese cat i had put some dry cat food in one of the bowls out there it was eating a little but then went to the door i go in and out of looking at the door then it ate a white cupcake. looked again at 11 pm and possums were there eating all the cupcakes cookies and then some dry dog food.

hi joho! well now when i head to the barn and the furnace is not running in the barn pearl can hear my walker and gets mouthy before i am even in the barn. coming pearl coming. that gray cat runs up to me got any can cat food yes i do. sweets ramming his door yes got your cookies tote my sack with me. got to pick up groceries from walmart in a bit first pearls med so better go gb

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/FD055D56D4B2?z=0

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #24411 on: January 13, 2022, 07:24:34 AM »

7:25 still sleepy here.  Coffee waiting while I warm up I will say CUL and God Bless.

calhound

« Reply #24412 on: January 14, 2022, 05:09:02 AM »

The Fox, A Bobcat, and a Worry - UPDATE January 13, 2022
Bobcat
Bobcat focused
Today, we saw the first bobcat on the WRI property in the 30 years we’ve been here. The closest we had ever come to recording a bobcat on the property was tracks a few yards off the property back on April 18, 2011.

Seeing the bobcat was worrisome. It came walking down the driveway mid-afternoon and sat unmoving beside the garage for several minutes with eyes and ears focused on a small tunnel into the garage just two feet away. Then, it went into a slinky, stalking approach (above) as it rounded the corner of the garage and approached the open door. As it entered the door looking around, it showed the distinctive black and white tip of the tail that says ‘bobcat’ (below). It disappeared into the darkness of the garage for several minutes and then came out the carport door two stalls away. The only way it could get there was through a two-stall long burrow made by woodchucks a few years ago.Bobcat behind
Bobcat's tail

I suspect the fox has been using the burrow to escape the cold and wind of the past week or so, and I’ve been hoping she would have pups there for everyone to see this summer. I found no blood and fur in the area and feel doubly confident the fox escaped because I found fairly fresh fox tracks leaving the garage. Also, the burrow has an exit on each end, and I suspect the fox can move faster in the burrow than a bulkier bobcat can. The bobcat seemed to know what it was doing investigating the garage and burrow, making me think it was making another attempt at a capture after coming close earlier.

When I saw the bobcat go into a stalking stance, I could only imagine the terror this much smaller fox would feel. I wonder if the fox will dare to raise pups here now. However, a thought that gives me a bit of confidence is that the fox may have been dealing with the bobcat longer than I realized. I have wondered why the fox spent so much time the last few days looking with eyes and ears focused intently in the direction the bobcat came from. Maybe the fox is not that easily scared off. Earlier in the day, I wondered why the fox was not here to greet me when I drove in and why I did not see the fox at all for the first time in many days. We’ll see if the fox shows up tomorrow or the next day.

Bobcat tracks
Bobcat tracks
Red fox forefoot and hind foot
Red fox forefoot and hind foot
The bobcat was exciting to see, but I hope it does not mean no more fox.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24413 on: January 14, 2022, 05:19:17 AM »

calhound

« Reply #24414 on: January 14, 2022, 05:26:25 AM »

hi you guys its 36 cloudy 52 in the barn two raccoonies one gray cat mouthy horse ramming goat. that bobcat is beautiful and that fox will probably stay away for a few day bob cat will move on i hope no harm comes to either one of them. last night i looked out my bathroom window and saw big siamese  i had put some fancy feast on top of dry cat food out there for him or her hope a him and he went to town on that woke up at 1 am looked out the window and he was still there sitting then it was like felt someone was watching looked back up in the window but just looked at me. it is not there now.

we got big snow coming tonight  falling temps

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/94055D50CE97?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24415 on: January 14, 2022, 08:05:23 AM »

7:20  33° at 9 o'clock ALREADY?  A bobcat went through the foxes tunnel.  Yikes!
 No coffee yet?  No cereal with frozen blueberries and apple chunks?  Well I will have to fix that right now. LOL
So thanks EV1 for being here and CUL God Bless

calhound

« Reply #24416 on: January 15, 2022, 05:08:32 AM »

NABC Fundraiser and a Drawing for a Painting of Ted! - UPDATE January 14, 2022
Painting of Ted
Painting of Ted
Tomorrow (January 15) is the last day to make donations for bear food and care in honor of Ted’s 25th Birthday. All donors will be entered into a drawing for a commemorative painting of Ted by Artist Suzanne Claude.

You get one entry for $5, three entries for $10, and seven entries for $25; click here to donate. The drawing will be held on January 17 at 11 am CT on the NABC’s Facebook page, via Facebook Live, be sure to tune in https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmericanBearCenter.

Ted's Birthday

Many thanks to all that have already shown their support and donated.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24417 on: January 15, 2022, 05:46:54 AM »

hi you guys its a blizzard here 28 and snowing like crazy tv was out covered with heavy wet snow yesterday jim put in two new lightbulbs in the barn one in sweets area that i could not ever get he still one over his bed and the far one far one went out so jim did middle and far when i went in yesterday it was so bright in there i said boy i hope it is not too bright for you looked over and he was sound asleep in his bed. so this morning finally got to the barn door went in wow so bright and warm 52 birds singing pearl hay there. gray cat i am hungry all food empty everyone came last night. griz barking i gotta go lots of shoveling to do

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/96055D51A897?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24418 on: January 15, 2022, 09:51:31 AM »

6:25 Good morning EV1.  Another nice day here.  23° at 10:40.  Trace of new snow.  Grass is not covered yet.  We are warm compared to my nieces home in Long Lake NY.  They were at minus 41 ° yesterday. BRRR. She sent me this news from Florida where she is now.
 Got to go for bread and coffee today.  Will try to stop and see Deb and Boss for a few minutes so she can look at my toe.  There is a big hole in the end where Dr. removed the callous and unscrewed the old pin.  It is hard for me to reach and impossible for me to see.  She will help me, and do it right.  She is my Debbie Nurse after all with years of experience.
I will say thanks for being here and CUL.  GB

calihoula

« Reply #24419 on: January 15, 2022, 12:52:13 PM »

hi joho still snowing here but not as hard i keep putting out bird seed for the birds. jim said they are getting ready to unhook lawrence letting him go.maybe he wont go i think back not so long ago when i went to lunch with jim and the guys ronnie lawrence and rick. i has such a fun time sat by ronnie gave him a kiss on his cheek dees back hurt her she stayed home jim had loss weight in his big belly from his chemo ron had tumor taken out of his lung doing good lawrence saying since jim lost belly fat could probably see something he aint seen for a long time and rick said hello there little feller we all laughed lawrence ordered his dinner and for a side got pudding everyone called him puddin now ronnie is gone and lawrence not good  :(  hope your toe will be okay.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day