Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 621323 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24390 on: January 07, 2022, 07:33:38 AM »

jim told me earlier that his friend lawrence was staple thru the night they put him on a ventilator and his ox up to 100% and they started infusions i do not know what that means but said after 4 days should be coming along gb
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24391 on: January 07, 2022, 07:54:32 AM »

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #24392 on: January 07, 2022, 02:47:07 PM »

2:38 lighthouse
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #24393 on: January 07, 2022, 04:31:09 PM »

Lighthouse ...  23:54             70°   (2:45 pm)

Hi Cal and Joho... and Rues too. 

I feel bad for Jim's friend.  I can't imagine an ox reading of 60.   That is scary ... he's fully vaccinated and he is still in this trouble because of underlying conditions.  I went over to my pharmacy yesterday and got my second Shingles shot... with the thought in my mind, that I was taking a risk to even be there, even though I need that shot.  I got out of there as soon as I could.

Now there is this new thing -- a combination of flu and corvid, so I heard yesterday ... ???  what?

I have a small TV in my bedroom that I put on once in a while, but we have mostly been streaming on our computers.  TV is available on your computer/laptop, but of course, many of the services cost a monthly fee, and some are reasonable. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Cal. I just read about Jim's friend being put on the ventilator ---  thank goodness! 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 04:45:30 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24394 on: January 08, 2022, 06:07:55 AM »

hi you guys its 25 here 52 in the barn one gray cat looking fatter hope it is a male and i been feeding it well so hope its fat not baby fat. we under weather advisory freezing rain from 9 am to 9 pm so that is so very bad rather have zero temp no ice i will be even slower getting around my walker of course but more careful of it and griz will not be able to go out. he will not be happy about that but he is so very old and sometimes have a little bit of a time in snow and stuff. cant have that.

hi neva i know afraid to go anywhere and for a good reason i heard about that covid flu well we got the flu shot too so hoping i dont know how lawrence is doing have not talked to jim yet today. missys ex who and his wife got covid and no not vaccinated at all no one telling them what to do she got out of the hospital but he did not and miss said heard he is not doing to well. well should of gotten vaccinated. he is very very heavy too. yes joho could watch tv on his computer got to have tv i dont get to watch much but sure do like it to be there when i can and my ipad and computer too. when i was young and did not have all the stuff they have now i rode my horse swam played baseball ran with my mom. happy times for sure. no covid and when i started school my mom had to get me vaccinated and the gov told her what to do and she did and i am still here. i saw on the news tennis novak aussie will not let him play in isolation cause he i believe not vaccinated dont care for him anyway rafa there i do care for him he is vaccinated will get to play.  well griz is barking and barking time to go happy trails to us gb

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9F055D5447DB?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24395 on: January 09, 2022, 05:02:44 AM »

Hi EV1,
I am OK just busy.  TV is great, but cable box no good.  Finally went to cable store and got a new one .  Now good so dont worry.  Will do puzzzles later Paper late, but should be here soon.

Happy Sunday and God Bless

calhound

« Reply #24396 on: January 09, 2022, 05:12:50 AM »

Barred Owl, Red Squirrels, the Red Fox, and a Coyote - UPDATE January 8, 2022
Barred owl
Barred owl
The last couple days have been a wildlife bonanza in the neighborhood. Yesterday, a flurry of wings outside my window turned out to be a barred owl swooping at a dodging red squirrel. It then landed in a nearby white pine, which made me grab the camera. Outside, the owl watched deer and me moving about but we were too big to be considered prey and it was most attentive toward red squirrels. It looked with special interest at the fox as it trotted by, but it didn’t go after it. I clicked a picture when it calmly looked at the camera. After I got back inside it launched toward the spot where over a dozen red squirrels commonly feed. The fox later spent a couple hours sleeping on top of a snow mound in bright sun on this day when temperatures stayed below zero.

Today I got a call from a neighbor who feeds a couple red foxes a half mile away as the crow flies. The two foxes share a space under a shed where temperatures are probably the same as outside. On sunny days they also rest in the sun.

Coyote - WRI file photo
Coyote - WRI file photo
The neighbor told me a story that I had never heard anywhere before. A coyote showed up—the first one in years. They are several times the size of a fox and are known for killing foxes. In fact, the new science is that mice spread lyme disease but are kept at low numbers where foxes proliferate. Fox numbers are kept low where there are coyotes, but foxes can flourish where wolves, which kill coyotes, are plentiful enough to keep coyote numbers low, which allows the foxes to kill mice.

In light of that, what the neighbor told me tonight was unexpected. Yesterday, he had put out food for his foxes when a coyote came along—the first coyote he had seen in years. Instead of running for its life, the fox stood up to the coyote and “got some licks in” before running away. The next chapter of that story was tonight, the foxes and coyotes appeared , and the coyote paid no attention when the foxes began mating. It wanted the food instead. The picture of the coyote is included just for reference. It’s a picture I took decades ago. It gives a little idea what the fox saw and dared to stand up against, at least briefly.

Another happening was yesterday morning when I drove in the long (0.16 mile) driveway to the WRI cabin. For the first time, the fox saw me coming and came running up the driveway toward my advancing pickup. I slowed to a stop with the fox maybe 20 feet away standing in the middle of the driveway looking at the truck. I eased forward until I could not see the fox over the hood and stopped again. Then I saw it trotting nonchalantly down the driveway to the parking area. The fox is used to seeing me come in there. If it is resting in its favorite spot on top of a snowplow mound of snow at the edge of the parking area, it does no more than calmly watch me turn straight toward her, stop about 15 feet away, and back into my parking spot. But the fox does know it is feeding time. I go into the front door while the fox goes up the steps to the second floor deck where she meets me to start the day. She knows the program well.

I feel fortunate to be able to spend so much time in this nature-loving neighborhood where people enjoy seeing and learning about wildlife as much as I do.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Wildlife Research Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24397 on: January 09, 2022, 05:54:57 AM »

hi you guys its 27 here 52 in the barn one gray cat but last night my possum came and ate all the cupcakes got a drink. yes dr rogers wildlife do know the routine! :)

Hi Joho well good it was your cable box now did you go get it cause i thought you was suppose to stay in did you see the chiefs play yesterday what a nail biter game i told ca at christmas i really like hardman and he said oh he is not that good of a player so wonder what ca thinks now  :) i still think you should have a back up tv. gb

hi neva! jim said icu now trying to wean lawrence off the ventilator.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/75055D50114F?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #24398 on: January 09, 2022, 06:54:37 AM »

I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #24399 on: January 09, 2022, 10:11:33 AM »

3:58 cheerio

johoward

« Reply #24400 on: January 09, 2022, 09:51:43 PM »

7:35 finally
I did go to store Cal. Should be OK.12 28 was last positive test. So I kept my mask on, and stayed away as much as possible.  The manager was walking around talking to folks like a party.  I told him I was waiting 30 minutes to just trade in a faulty box and that was way longer than it should have been.  They have a new location and the store is like an Apple knockoff where they concentrate on selling their phones etc.
 The old office was better for service.  Went there several times.  It was always quick and easy.  In fact I was in a mood already, because I went to the old store first.  Learning of the new store by signs in the windows.  I told this manager he was risking the health of everyone in the place by encouraging chatting instead of moving people through.  Several others just wanted to trade-in faulty boxes too.     
So my TV probs are over for now.  My computer is my backup device.  I love the animal cams and chats. As well as the Microsoft Games like solitaire.   Plus I have two computers.
Lots of illness around. Need prayers for the many who are sick all over. I mean with cancer stroke and everything.  Not just Covid, but yes that too. 
Well getting tired so I will sign off now.  BGU EV1   

calihoula

« Reply #24401 on: January 10, 2022, 10:44:48 AM »

hi joho! i went to harps got there little before they open got in just workers there everyone always has a mask i knew what i needed got my cart got my stuff no looking at stuff kelly saw me she is so very nice saw i had big litter jugs said i will help you out i said no offense love you but i will be fine this covid so bad she said no offense at all. i got my stuff loaded up in my car saw two women get out no mask local news said missouri 1 in 3 people have covid i hope the supreme court rules with biden workers 100 or more must get vaccinated and health workers must how stupid to have to make a health worker get one but looked what happened to dawn  :( yes that manager is stupid  good you got it and out good back up computers i have never been in an apple store use apple app on my ipad i got at the walmart. our hospitals here overwhelmed natl guard called in and because of covid stupid people chiefs playoff game this sunday night 7:15 against the steelers here arrowhead. gb stay safe oh my lawyer called me sat asking if that firebugs insurance called me no he is calling them today been a year since march 4 that his fire got away and burned down what was my sisters place to the ground did everything they ask for stalling my lawyer going to file a lawsuit if they dont settle

calhound

« Reply #24402 on: January 11, 2022, 05:05:50 AM »

An Owl with a Frosty Face, and a Fox with Choices - UPDATE January 10, 2022
Barred Owl
Barred Owl
With the temperature at minus 17°F, I was pleasantly surprised to see the barred owl again looking at me sitting at my desk. I aimed the camera that is almost always ready and saw that the picture captured the frost near its beak and rimming its eyes on its eyelids.

Next came the fox. She told me it was feeding time by standing with her forefeet on the window and looking in from less than four feet away. I got up and opened the door holding a smelly mouse next to a slice of bologna. She went straight for the mouse, backed up a couple feet, and dropped it on the second floor deck. She was about to eat it when I tossed a slice of bologna next to it. Changing her mind about the mouse, she ate the bologna then took the mouse down the steps and buried it in the snow. She ran back, and I gave her three choices—a slice of bologna, a mini blueberry muffin (that she often makes her first choice), and a small rice krispies bar. She was decisive. She nosed between the muffin and bologna to get the rice krispies bar. But as much as she seemed to want it, she saved it for later. She ran down the steps, dug into the snow with a blur of paw action, and covered it with 29 swipes of her muzzle. When she ran back, I gave her another piece of bologna that she also buried. It’s hard to know what she really likes best.

Barred Owl
Barred Owl
As it was getting dark, the barred owl was back on the same dead branch outside my window where it had perched earlier. The picture was not the greatest with glare from the snow and deck light, but it shows how round the owl looked with its feathers all fluffed for warmth on this cold day.

This evening will be fun. Each year, the Minnesota Audubon Center brings students from all over the nation and beyond to the Bear Center for a question and answer session. It typically lasts an hour or hour and a half with the questions triggering more and more. Donna is coming to hear the questions and my answers. The students’ excitement to learn is exciting to me, and each year several of them go on to be top notch interns at the Bear Center the following summer. They not only want to learn, they want to educate; and I am often amazed at their talent in speaking for and about the bears.

Thank you for all you and they do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24403 on: January 11, 2022, 05:13:18 AM »

hi you guys its 23 here clear 52 in the barn one gray cat last night i looked out my window and saw my possum and a huge siamese cat white like with blue eyes never seen it but its fur was in great shape so hoping it belongs to people down across the road. possum was looking at it but went on eating its food. cat ate a little dog food then went under smokie. later i looked out and just saw possums eating barn owl so pretty i saw how cold it was for dr rogers and bears fox likes them all bury it for later get it while the getting is good. very nice dr rogers.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/6F055D57684D?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24404 on: January 11, 2022, 08:02:44 AM »

6:53 on that beautiful little kitty. Nice cold day again.  Wish we had some nice snow though.  Mud is so drab and hard looking. All the woods are dead looking too.  This is "The Dead Of Winter".
I am still not 100%.  Sniffles and cough still here.  Getting tired of it, but really not going to complain, because at least I am here. 
My cousin's wife is not.  They both got sick by visiting at Thanksgiving.  She recovered in a few weeks.  He did not, and is till sick.  In fact too sick to attend his wife's emanant funeral.  She died of something other than covid.  I don't know what.
I am just so so tired of people dying,  and a little angry too.  A lot have died who did not need to die if only they had taken steps readily available to prevent serious illness.
Sure glad to see Update this morning.  Thanks Cal.  God Bless our chatters and bear lovers.  They are the best.