Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 628183 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24375 on: January 02, 2022, 10:02:27 PM »

Mouse better now.  Lots of good football today. Sorry to see KC lose.  Browns on  Monday with, Pittsburg, our nemesis.
 But really liked the PBS show Downton Abby.  Was very good.  Joan and I like to watch it together.  So much trouble and sadness they always had.  Today though, none of that.  All good stuff.  I loved it. Was crying most of he way through.  Not sure why.  Just overwhelmed for some reason.  Debbie says I have covid brain.  LOL  Anyway try to catch it on PBS if you get a chance.  It was really impressive to me.
Still not feeling 100 percent, but not too bad.  Seems like this new strain of virus with my 3 shots is bearable.  Mary is sick too.  She said today was better than yesterday, but I am still worried for her and how the virus could effect her baby.
Rolling stock in the Winter is sometimes hard to keep rolling.  Jim will get it rolling.
Still pretty warm here by comparison.  24° at 11 pm  No snow, but no rain either.  At least for now. We will see what tomorrow brings.  Sleepy now.  so CUL and GB EV1

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #24376 on: January 03, 2022, 06:04:04 AM »

hi you guys its 5 here wind chill is i think 10 below 52 in the barn no raccoonies or possum came last night either one gray cat in the barn waiting for its can food still had dry in there and pans full of dry dog food.

hi joho so all of you had the new virus? i hope too mary gets better i went to the barn when chiefs game was 28-24 i think told pearl i think chiefs may lose this and they did pearl did not care wanted her treat. i saw that was on pbs i saw it while back i love downton abby always watched it every week so did rues and jp this movie was really good just plain fun and good. jim got the 4 wheeler started and gator out. his floor is cement level not hard to push it out really. hope the browns win tonight

Hi Neva!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/20055D4C0E6D?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #24377 on: January 03, 2022, 10:08:31 AM »

9:02 covid brain in play.  Coordination fowled up. And double vision too. I am a mess.  No bears, no eagles, no vultures. Well GSB Eagles yes floating on the Mississippi. are nice to see, and the Brownsville Deer Pantry is going on, but even Snowman is empty this morning.

Several of family are sick, but I am only one who got tested and was positive.  Others not tested yet until today. I think Mary will test at work if she went in.  I will ask her now.  I kind of hope she stayed home.  A lot of the schools are extending break. I think wisely.  Mary says she will not waste a test, because she does not have covid and must see her Dr today at 4:45. I think for scan.!!!!!! Maybe gender reveal too.
Store shelves are running low today again.  No bakery etc.  Small selection of milk.  I guess the holidays delayed delivery of daily items, and it is a Monday.  Neighbor lady went to store fore me for three things.  She got double what I needed of two and none of the third.  I like Nickle's Italian bread on sandwiches, and because the leftovers  stick to my hook while fishing, but they were sold out.  So I will make through this morning with 2% milk and Mott's applesauce. LOL  She is such a sweet person to me.  Yesterday right after I got done eating she brought over a tray of spaghettis and meat balls.  Today she is making chicken soup, and I will wait to see how that is.  I like chickens soup and even have some thawing right now from my freezer.  I can refreeze it to try hers.
Well again I will say so long for a while.
26° at 11 am  Light dusting roads clear.  Waiting for furnace man to replace burn hazard drip tray in brand new furnace on Goodman Recall before 4PM.
GB EV1

Thanks for being here EV1. CUL GB

calihoula

« Reply #24378 on: January 03, 2022, 03:21:03 PM »

hi joho you stay back from furnace guy wear mask you tested positive you need to stay home really away from others if you can. so you got the new covid? how long will you have covid brain? hope marys scan goes good and she is not sick. your neighbor lady very nice hope she is fully vaccinated too. gb my furnace is a goodman too its pretty old now 15 years
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #24379 on: January 04, 2022, 06:26:08 AM »

Ted and the Green Van - UPDATE January 3, 2022
Burt 07-13-14
Burt 07-13-14
Ted and the Green Van are both getting older. The 2001 green van turns 21 this year and carries many memories. In 2014, it was this van and 9-year-old Burt that taught me not to leave windows open on a vehicle that has bear food in it. No harm was done, though, and the incident turned out to be an unintentional experiment. We learned that crawling into the green van did not teach Burt to seek food in other vehicles with open windows. There were no reports of any of that in the area.

The van also carries 14 years of memories from driving back roads and driving where there were no roads during Black Bear Field Courses—rides that people asked me to repeat for more of the same when they came back for more. The destinations of those rides were often to join June, Lily, and other bears deep in the woods. Fun times.

But now, with 279,000 miles on the van plus rust and other problems, people who know best are telling me it’s time to graduate to more reliable younger vehicles. I’m afraid this vehicle that I and others grew to love is nearing its end.

But I believe that 25-year-old Ted has years to go. He is showing the gray head hairs of age, and he is slowing down; but he still shows his love of people and life with every meeting.

Teds Birthdayclick to donate

The celebration of Ted's 25th birthday is on January 17th. As part of that, you will be entered into a drawing for a commemorative painting of him when you make donations toward bear food and care between January 3 and 17. The painting is by Suzanne Claude. You get one entry for $5, three entries for $10, and seven entries for $25. Click on this link for details: https://mailchi.mp/bear.org/celebrate-teds-birthday-with-us and/or click here to donate.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24380 on: January 04, 2022, 06:33:23 AM »

hi you guys its 27 here one gray cat in the barn and its 52 in there i saw one of my little possums last night eating cupcakes off the sidewalk. burt is so funny in dr rogers green van it is sad to say goodbye to your car van truck. in a such cold place and rural good to have a reliable car but it can conk out too so be safe dr rogers.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/91055D58D5F5?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24381 on: January 04, 2022, 09:32:33 AM »

7:22 Covid Brain still here, and blurred vision too.  Mary will have a BOY.  All is well with them. Celebrated by myself a lot last night.  LOL I am very excited and only wish Joan could be here to hold that baby. Mary says she feels that GMA is watching over her and the baby, and is comforted by that thought.
 HVAC man never showed up all day.  They said I got the date wrong, and I am not surprised.  They gave me three dates in Feb with both am and pm choices.  I took all three with 1 am and 2 pm .  They then called a week later and canceled all three to replace them with one ,I thought, for yesterday.  So now I don't know if I even have an appointment to correct this "fire hazard" they put in my home.  Some outfit in Colorado is coordinating with locals on this.  It is a mess.  Covid is not helping.
Did I tell you I found out how to put in "degree" mark? There is no key for it.  You have to use the right side key number pad and hold down "alt" while tapping 0176.  Well I am proud to say my covid brain still works a little.

It is 24° here at10:27.  Pretty cold.  Very little new snow, but lots of ice from yesterday.  Maybe some chores and recuperating is in line for today.  Be safe and warm as they say on bear chat.  CUL GB

neva

« Reply #24382 on: January 04, 2022, 04:10:23 PM »

Dog look up   29:24       65°   (2:43 pm)  sunny + breezy

Hi Cal and Joho ... and Rues

Cal ...  Dr. Rodgers certainly got his money's worth out of that van, didn't he?  I love that photo of Burt in it.   :)

Joho ...  Congratulations and blessings on the little one that you are all awaiting.

Bella's cat, Eden (big Siamese) is trying to help me type this  😟  what fun! 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 06:27:03 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24383 on: January 05, 2022, 05:28:18 AM »

Ted, the Fox, and the 6-Point Buck - UPDATE January 4, 2022
Ted
Ted
Here’s the picture of Ted from November 14 that shows the white hairs that come with age in both bears and humans. The photo was left off the update last night, however it is now showing. Ted will turn 25 in 13 days on January 17, the day of his birthday celebration.

The white hairs stand out against his black fur just as the color of the red fox named Pretty Girl stands out against the white snow.

Overnight, the young 6-point buck dropped an antler and shows the fresh, bloody spot where it was just yesterday.

Red fox
Red fox
Young buck
Young buck
Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24384 on: January 05, 2022, 05:36:17 AM »

hi you guys its 17 here clear but snow tonight one gray cat in the barn it is 52 in there. someone came last night on the sidewalk ate all the cupcakes so pretty sure possums were here. good. makes me happy.

Hi Joho yes congrats on new one to your family! Hope you are better today. GB

Hi Neva! you bet dr rogers got his money worth out of that van you know he loves that van tons of memories love burt in it! wow bellas eden is beautiful and yes big you have such a good helper there! this computer was so slow yesterday i was working on deciding what new computer to get and my printer was not working trying to print off something so been looking at dell and almost got one picked up adding some stuff to it they will built it for me not much cost for that looked at new printers too came in this morning and what i wanted printed off was printed off laying in the tray mr kitty has a habit of doing that and this computer is working at record speed!  :) your temp is wonderful!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C6055D563DBA?z=0

calhound

« Reply #24385 on: January 06, 2022, 05:03:06 AM »

calhound

« Reply #24386 on: January 06, 2022, 05:17:36 AM »

hi you guys its 9 here wind chill colder than that snow in the city not here yet one gray cat in the barn its 52 in there. someone or ones came last night ate all the little debbies cakes but no dog food

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/36055D53B8B1?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24387 on: January 06, 2022, 10:41:17 PM »

Hi Bye EV1 Taking a break today.  TV broke.  Cough. Dr says now monitor ox, and call medics if 80 or less. WHAT?????
I have a cough now and then. Nose started to drip again. Head tight feeling and brain sloww.  So started new cough pills for congestion.  Drugmart helped by putting stuff out through the drive up window.
Will try puzzle tommorrow.  Thanks for being here every day Cal.  Good will to Amy too for helping us get along.  Hope I am better soon.

Getting to be a drag by myself and now NO TV!

God Bless Us All and please deliver us from this horrific situation of stubbornly  infecting each other, and from evil lying behavior at the highest levels of leadership.  I have heard that the only thing needed for evil to prosper is for good people to do nothing.  That is now happening.

GOOD NIGHT and GOD BLESS

calhound

« Reply #24388 on: January 07, 2022, 05:26:40 AM »

An Article that Stirred Good Memories - UPDATE January 6, 2022
Smithsonian Magazine Cover
Smithsonian Magazine
The cover story of the latest Smithsonian Magazine brought back memories. The story brought back memories of how one man triggered one of the biggest public education opportunities of my career and put me on track to making the North American Bear Center what it should be. It immediately looked interesting because the tree on the cover was a white pine—my favorite tree and the tree that mother bears choose to make 88% of their beds at the bases of.  Click here to read the article on smithsonian.com.

The best surprise was when I opened the magazine and saw my friend Bob Leverett, co-founder of the Eastern Native Tree Society. His goal for the organization is to find unusual old growth forests worthy of protection and to learn the stories behind unusually big or old trees. Recent examples are a 2,629-year-old Bald Cypress in South Carolina and a 175' 9" tall white pine in Massachusetts. The white pine is in a grove of unusually tall white pines called the ‘Trees of Peace.’

This story starts when I got a call from Bob back in 2000 and had no idea how much would come from our meeting. He had heard of the White Pines Society and wanted to know more. As we talked, I felt his passion for trees and a special connection through our mutual love of white pines.

Lily and Hope April 2010
Lily and Hope April 2010
At the end of the conversation, he asked if I studied anything other than white pines. “I study bears,” I said, and that the bears was what made me connect so strongly to these trees. We had already talked about how important these trees are to eagles, ospreys, and many other species at different stages of their life and death. Bears excited him. “Hey,” he said, “Would you want to come to Massachusetts and give talks at universities?” Educating the public was something I very much wanted to do. “Yes,” I answered, having no idea what was about to unfold. We both discovered how much the public wanted to learn about bears. Bob set up talks at several Massachusetts colleges and universities. Students were interested, and the word spread. For the next three years, Bob’s friends across New England set up schedules in each of the seven states and handed me off to each state in turn. Some were Ivy League. Some I’d not heard of. It was an opportunity beyond my dreams.

But I have to credit my friend videographer Mark Peterson for the success of it all. He had steered me in the right direction after I gave what I thought was a good scientific talk at the University of Minnesota. As he was putting away his video equipment, I asked him what he thought. Mark, a friend to this day, tells things straight out. He is open, honest, and frank, but I did not expect his answer. “Frankly, Lynn, it sucked!” I asked what it should have been. He said, “What I want to know from someone who has spent time with bears is what they’re really like. What you told was maybe something I might read in a book.”

I took his advice. I put together a talk, gave it a few times, and took out the parts that made people rustle in their seats. I had what people wanted to know, and it led to my learning what I needed to know. After hearing the same questions wherever I went, I knew what the theme of the North American Bear Center had to be.

Along the way another opportunity developed which I also cannot take credit for. A group of educators in Alaska called and asked if I would be open to doing a black bear field course for people who would come to the Wildlife Research Institute for several days to eat, sleep, and be immersed in bears. We did it in 2003, and I wanted it to go on. What I saw was how the bears stole people’s hearts, turning them into missionaries who would spread what they learned in their home areas. As the courses grew, I no longer had time for travel and devoted my time to the courses and to making the Bear Center a reality. With the help of many, it opened on May 5, 2007. We all worked to make it what Popular Science magazine ranked one of the top 50 science centers in the nation this past June. Looking back, I am thankful to so many for all that has happened. Looking back, I can see how much of this grew out of the call from Bob Leverett and the advice from Mark Peterson.

Other breakthroughs along the way happened in much the same way, with perhaps the biggest beginning with the den cams and the Lily and Hope study that began in 2010. You know that story. There is more to come.

Thank you for all you do and have done to bring us all to where we are today.

calhound

« Reply #24389 on: January 07, 2022, 06:00:47 AM »

hi you guys its 6 here wind chill -4 one gray cat in the barn its 52 in there.

hi joho happy to see you post worried about you jim very good friend has covid now he got leukimia awhile back on pills for that he was so worried about that cathy his wife too they went to florida to their home down there and only place they went was to the grocery store and he got sick fully vaccinated but under lying conditions too. jim told me last night they moved him to icu his ox level down to 60 yes i so agree with you people doing nothing will not get vaccinated i do not understand that at all saying gov not telling me what to do we say you could not of started school back then without vaccinations so gov told you what to do and look you are still here but get covid without vaccinations and you may not be here and take others with you.  my walmart will deliver stuff to your house not me cause i am too far away but maybe they would you or somewhere else or debbie could go get you a tv you need a tv joho if i was close to you we would bring you one set it up. how old was your tv and really you should have two tvs one for living room and one for bedroom then a backup also. god bless us all be safe and people do the right thing.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/F1055D5BA0F8?z=0