Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 627207 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24420 on: January 15, 2022, 03:58:27 PM »

Yes Cal sad to think how many we have lost.  My group is down to one.
  Still did not see Debbie.  She went with Mary to buy nursery room curtains.  She will call when she gets home.  I think ,and hope, soon.  I thawed out a nice steak for dinner, and don't want to refreeze it.  Also, I am anxious to see my friend Boss.
Will see you all tomorrow.  GB

calihoula

« Reply #24421 on: January 15, 2022, 04:37:58 PM »

lawrence passed away
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #24422 on: January 16, 2022, 12:51:08 AM »

I'm sorry Cal, for yours and Jim's loss.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #24423 on: January 16, 2022, 05:35:27 AM »

hi you guys its 17 here cloudy i hope no more ice and snow today. ice first then tons of snow 52 in the barn one gray cat

hi neva thanks its so sad this covid sure has left a mark here. you get fully vaccinated but if you have something else going on and your are dealing with it okay covid will fixed that for you. 

hi joho sunday night football tonight chiefs against steelers

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D9055D53E05D?z=0

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #24424 on: January 16, 2022, 09:09:07 AM »

Prayers for Lawrence.  May he rest in peace.  May you and Jim find some measure of comfort in knowing he is better off in our loving God's embrace.
I am reminded this morning of Springsteen's "life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone".  This is so true in my life.
Well a part of my life is looking in here each day, and doing the puzzle.  Took a while again this morning.  7:17
Going out to walk this morning in the cold (only 19°), but before the snow starts up at noon.  I find I can walk pretty good if I keep at it daily.
CUL EV1 GB

neva

« Reply #24425 on: January 16, 2022, 03:38:41 PM »

Border Collie ...   29+           71°  (1:55 pm)  sunny and supposed to reach 73°

Hi Cal and Joho      I hope that your day is going well. 
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24426 on: January 17, 2022, 05:17:15 AM »

hi you guys its 29 here clear 52 in the barn one gray cat griz is barking away chiefs won big last night i woke up to see the last quarter.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D9055D590A4A?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #24427 on: January 17, 2022, 08:35:15 AM »

Happy Monday ya'all.    6:00 minutes.  beautiful morning today 23° at 9:14 windy, and lots of snow.  Plows and shovels in play.  Will stay in until this afternoon.  My car is bad in snow, and walking is tough too.
I think maybe the bears have the right Winter plan. LOL
I did see the Chiefs game last night.  They started so slow I thought the Steelers might have a chance to win, but toward the end they really came on strong like the champs they are.  They were just teasing old Ben in his last game.
Nice neighbor lady,, Lorrie, said did I want some chili last night at dinner time. Did I? Yes.  She is so nice.  I walked over to get it, because I did not want her to fall.  I can walk so much better than when she started to feed me I wanted her to see me walking so she would worry less.  I finally met her husband Paul.  He seemed nice too.  Only a little jealous. LOL.
No real news for this morning.  I will be playing a lot of solitaire for a while. Lots of deer at Brownsville Deer Pantry, and a few turkeys at Snowman.
CUL EV1  GB

neva

« Reply #24428 on: January 17, 2022, 05:14:04 PM »

Thistle ...    27:53           68°    (3:36 pm)  sunny - 20% chance of rain  (maybe in the mountains)

Hello everyone, seen and unseen.  I hope that your day is going well.

That is a nice steady temperature in your barn, Cal.  Does the grey cat ever act like it wants attention, other than food, from you.  Is he or she strictly feral at this point? 

I've been watching the temperatures and storms that so many are going through, and thinking of my daughter Susan and her husband Jon (and their two cats) They drove all the way to South Carolina with a big RV, a truck and an SUV, from Wyoming just to get away from winter.  - Oops!  I guess they'll choose a different place next winter.  South Carolina is a good location for them though, their son an daughter are in the Military and stationed in Virginia and Maryland, it makes occasional visits possible. 

Hi Joho ... Here's to your kind hearted neighbor.  She is a blessing.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 05:15:36 PM by neva »
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #24429 on: January 17, 2022, 06:07:56 PM »

hi neva! ra lives in sc im going to email see how she is. hope susan and jon are okay your weather is good got up to 40 here ice melting but wed temp below zero actual temp single digit thursday good i got my groceries this morning back roads slick crawling along saw 2 deer highway was good. cant beat that walmart groceries pick up i went thru mcdonalds first got jim big breakfast with hot cakes got jamie a sausage biscuit she brings out my groceries she was happy about that biscuit she has 3 horses one little donkey and a one shetland pony. couple goats  :) my gray cat getting less feral runs out to me food but hides in hay as soon as i put out that fancy feast turn around its eating it when head back to tend to pearl cause she having a fit and im back with her cat gets up high on hay watching me. if im over by pearls feeder cat walks down by her gate looking for me but no cant pet it yet. coaly was like that for a year then hay pet me take me in the house get me tutored worm me vet said he had the longest tape worm she ever saw got his shots now he is fat right on my ankles which is bad for me.hard to walk with him rubbing on my ankles. watching world news tons donating to help animals for betty whites birthday what a good person she was love her. jims uncle was in military lives in va i met him at his moms funeral that man was older but in great shape. oh time to look out my bathroom window look for possums that siamese cat how is zoe?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #24430 on: January 18, 2022, 05:22:33 AM »

calhound

« Reply #24431 on: January 18, 2022, 05:24:15 AM »

The Fox, the City of Ely, and a Winner - UPDATE January 17, 2022
Pretty Girl - 11/29/21
Pretty Girl - 2021
It’s been five days since anyone has seen the fox named Pretty Girl. On the 12th she was curled up on a snow bank showing no fear as I drove almost up to her in order to back into my usual parking place. She knew the program. It started her day. It started my day, too. When I got out, she came toward me, saw I had nothing for her, and went up the steps to meet me on the second floor deck for breakfast. She was back often through the day, stalking squirrels but settling for treats from my hand if I had something she wanted. If my offering was not what she wanted, she sat down five feet away and told me with a look to do better. Throughout the day, I wondered why she was so often on alert toward the driveway and garage.

Chickadee
Chickadee
I haven’t seen her since. The next day about mid-afternoon, the bobcat appeared and seemed to know what it was doing as it investigated the fox’s abode in the garage. We now know more about the fairly fresh tracks we saw at the time. A trail cam that overlooks the scale showed video of the bobcat walking by at 12:51 PM—probably about the time the exiting fox made the fresh tracks. No tracks since. Also no tracks or sightings of Pretty Girl at the neighbor’s place where the bobcat also made an appearance. We’re all hoping Pretty Girl didn’t get trapped somewhere.

Out the window as we watch birds, deer, and squirrels, we are always on the lookout for minks, pine martens, and fishers, and now doubly hoping to see Pretty Girl who we know and miss.

On a happier note, the author of last summer’s Smithsonian Magazine article about the 15 best small towns in America gave a talk for Ely’s Tuesday group. Afterward, I clicked on the article https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/15-best-small-towns-visit-2021-180977798 and scrolled down past 10 cities to see the coverage of Ely. Super. The seven pictures of Ely showed how right the author was in including our town. They began with (1) a great picture of Ted on his preaching log, followed by (2) the dark, starry sky that is part of the world’s largest internationally certified Dark Sky Sanctuary, (3) a canoe on beautiful water in the million-acre Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, (4) sled dogs that give Ely the moniker ‘Sled-Dog Capital of the World,’ (5) a beautiful white wolf at the International Wolf Center, (6) Donna’s flowers in a picture of the North American Bear Center, and (7) Ely’s main street. It was all so great that I immediately renewed my subscription to Smithsonian Magazine.

Painting of Ted by Suzanne ClaudeHappy 25th Birthday, Ted!! And congratulations to Lynda Young who was drawn as the recipient of Suzanne (Pinky) Claude’s painting of Ted as shown to the left and also in this 11-minute video https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmericanBearCenter/videos/1597307793963816.

Fittingly, "Taught" caught handsome Ted tidying up his straw yesterday—perhaps getting ready for his birthday? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxvppmWCli8.

Thank you to everyone who contributed toward his food and care!

Thank you ALL for ALL you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24432 on: January 18, 2022, 05:29:06 AM »

hi you guys its 35 here clear big huge moon out lights up everything esp with all the snow. 52 in the barn one gray cat saw my little possum last night eating little debbie fancy cakes. i think that fox she is hiding out i hope really upsetting to read about any animal being caught in a trap. i would rather a bobcat take her than that but hoping she is in hiding mode.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/82055D51D95D?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24433 on: January 18, 2022, 08:33:06 AM »

7:01Thanks Cal. 26° at 9:28 Tuesday 1/17/22  No new snow.
No news good or bad.  Just Tuesday. LOL
Covid still stopping me from going and doing what I want.  Hard to see when it will end, or if I will even trust travel again for a long time.
Will say so long for today , and God Bless you and yours.

calhound

« Reply #24434 on: January 19, 2022, 04:31:15 AM »