Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 629447 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24435 on: January 19, 2022, 04:32:37 AM »

The Fox is Back! - UPDATE January 18, 2022
Red fox "Pretty Girl"
Red fox "Pretty Girl"
I’m glad my worries were misplaced. Although bobcats will kill foxes and fox trapping season continues until March 15, no harm befell Pretty Girl. Whether the appearance of the bobcat and the disappearance of the fox for five days was mere coincidence or not I can’t say. Could it have been that we are approaching mating season? I don’t know if that triggers female foxes to roam leaving scent trails for males to follow like female black bears do. I just know the sense of relief when I looked out my window shortly after noon and saw Pretty Girl right there maybe five feet away.

She was her same old self, full of life. She saw me get up and go toward the door, but she first had to leap up on the railing and narrowly miss a squirrel before settling for anything I might have. She then came and rose up to take a slice of bologna from my hand. I thought she might be very hungry after her trip, but instead of immediately eating it, she carried it down the steps and across the parking lot where she often buries food. Instead of immediately coming back for more, she stood on a snow mound watching and listening toward a couple deer that were down by the lake. Common redpoll
Common redpoll
I grabbed a camera to document her return. She glanced at me when I came out but was more interested in the deer. When I got in position, I made a high ssssss sound that made her look momentarily, but she focused right back on the deer. Finally satisfied about their sounds, she came back to my window to let me know she was ready for more. She ate a mini-muffin, took another from my hand and went off to bury it—not overly hungry. The last I saw her she was running into the open carport, perhaps to use the long woodchuck burrow that I wondered if she would ever use after the bobcat came through it.

The internet says that red foxes in Minnesota “mate in February and 52 days later 5 to 10 young (called pups) are born. The pups nurse for 10 weeks and are fully independent at seven months. Foxes reproduce at age one. They often den up in woodchuck or badger holes.”

We’ll see what happens next.

We’re coming into the winter finch period, and I saw my first one today—a female common redpoll.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24436 on: January 19, 2022, 04:55:37 AM »

hi you guys its 32 here and very windy i mean windy cold 52 in the barn one gray cat but everyone came last night all the dog food gone and outside on my sidewalk i saw that siamese my possums later saw them again and raccoonies. but zero tonight doubt i see much on the sidewalk maybe in the barn. what a wonderful update today!! i am so happy she came home and not trapped makes me sick trapping what is wrong with mankind i mean really no feelings at all for our wildlife.

hi joho i dont travel except to walmart feed store harps gas station walmart i stay in my car gas only me at the pump since my mom and boobie gone pretty much at home and that is fine with me. i have a hard time getting around and i love my home and my barn missy has covid but doing okay with it she is vaccinated got it from her coworkers.

hi neva!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/3B055D5AE399?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #24437 on: January 19, 2022, 07:41:41 AM »

6:38  Nice again today. 37° at 8:34 am.  Very nice update.
Need bread and milk.  Will go to Drugmart. They "save you the run around" as they say, and it is true.  They have everything, and at reasonable prices too.  Lower than Walmart in most cases.  They have a good deli and fresh vegetables.  My favorite store, and it is close at about a mile.
Lots of thawing going on this morning.  Next we will have some street flooding i guess.
Now coffee no. 2 is calling.  Hi Neva, Ra , and Rues.

So CUL. GB

calihoula

« Reply #24438 on: January 19, 2022, 03:02:55 PM »

hi joho its 17 here windchill not sure but brrrr very windy dogs not staying out long so its cold but no snow or ice i got tons of birds eating at my feeder and sidewalk pearl sweets have no idea what it is outside. i just went out there with some treats pearl seeing sweets in the corner by her i said pearl what happened to your ears i cant see them let me look to the side oh there they are laying flat guess ill give this here cupcake to sweets what! be awful cold tonight i hope my little possum sleeps in the barn at night your drugmart sounds like my harps grocery store i have nothing that is close to me got to drive but that is okay
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #24439 on: January 19, 2022, 03:08:12 PM »

it took me 4:22 to read that menu
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #24440 on: January 19, 2022, 08:08:35 PM »

Menu ...  17:38            58°  (6:32pm)    It rained a lot yesterday, sunny today. 

Hello everyone, I hope that your day was a good one. 

I miss going shopping myself, believe it or not.  My daughter does the shopping and I am good friends with Amazon these days.  Living in town, there are a lot of places to shop, but going is not a good idea for me... not yet. ... I have been vaccinated and boosted, as they say, but several underlying conditions exist, so I have to be careful.

My daughter, the Snowbird, sent me a photo yesterday and they are in a small amount of snow where they are in South Carolina.  I told her that if she wasn't careful, they'd be asked to leave and not be bringing Wyoming snow with them next time.  She said the people there are telling them that it has been several years since they've had snow in South Carolina.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:53:29 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24441 on: January 20, 2022, 05:03:08 AM »

calhound

« Reply #24442 on: January 20, 2022, 05:18:02 AM »

Fox, Bobcat, and Ted - UPDATE January 19, 2022
Ted by Sandy Rathborne
Ted by Sandy Rathborne
Will Pretty Girl and the bobcat coexist? Pretty Girl was here throughout the morning and early afternoon. Then, as I drove out the driveway at about 2 PM, the bobcat ran ahead of me. The bobcat was here yet (or again) leaping off the driveway as I drove in at 4:40 PM. Now, a little after 8 PM, Pretty Girl came when called. She is about the same as ever except for frequent looks toward the driveway. Encouraging.

On Ted’s 25th birthday on January 17th this nice picture was circulating. It was taken by photographer Sandy Rathborne on July 27, 2011. That was when Ted was 14 and did not have the many white hairs on his forehead and forequarters. Sandy captured Ted’s focused look as he eats grapes from the back of his paw.

PS: A new wrinkle now at 9:04 PM. There are now two foxes. Is the new one a male or is it a competitor in Pretty Girl’s home area. They chase each other, and I think it was Pretty Girl that was doing the chasing. We’ll see.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24443 on: January 20, 2022, 05:32:12 AM »

hi you guys its 4 here 51 one in the barn furnace was running when i went out and still when i left it will kick off when it reaches 52 when i go back out if still running i may turn it down to 51 so it will kick off. one gray cat but i had all the pans full of food last night all of it is gone and food on sidewalk almost all gone all treats are gone all cat food is gone. my possums were here. i was hoping that bobcat moved on must be finding food around there and its the food place kinda like here so going to get all kinds of wildlife and they all want to eat too.

hi neva! love your pictures what a nice rv super nice! ra said she got 5 inches of snow and ice one of the pine trees fell cause of weight of snow and that ice did not hit her home! yay for that. so funny snowbird leave your snow in WY  :) neva you got underlying conditions yes you have to be extra careful! and maybe we got some and dont even know it  just have to be careful amazon a good friend to have and what we buy donate to nabc so a win win.  i am going to get a new riding mower this spring and will be spending time every day mowing pearls pasture dogs yard. and scout and his friends will be back to watch me.  i saw on the world news at 3 am showing kc mo and how bad the covid is here and hospital overwhelmed almost all of them not vaccinated one lady pretty sick saying get vaccinated i wish i would of and then showing a nurse getting covid body ready to be shipped out wrapped in like plastic deal and she wrote covid on it with a marker  :( i thought of my cousin and dawn and now lawrence. i dont know how serious this has to be before people understand that.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A5055D5BBE39?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24444 on: January 20, 2022, 09:51:04 AM »

5:51  Not bad for me.
 Only 20° nearly 11 o'clock. 
Got to go see foot Dr. this morning.  He took a steel pin out of my toe last week.  Was an old hammer toe fix that finally failed after about 30 or 40 years.  Just another thing I have outlived.  One among many.
Well I better get going to be ready for the public.  So CUL my friends. GB

johoward

« Reply #24445 on: January 20, 2022, 02:21:21 PM »

I am back.  Dr said he was happy with my toe.  Good to hear that he will not be removing it as he said could happen. Now just sitting around after some vacuuming, laundry, and lunching.  Going to look at Deer Pantry and other cams.  Then will be doing some Microsoft Games Solitaire.  Nice but very cold today.  CUL EV1 GB

neva

« Reply #24446 on: January 20, 2022, 05:02:35 PM »

Box 73 ...   21:50          64°  (3:41 pm)

Hi Cal and Joho, and Ra and Rues.

I hope that Ra is doing well.  I've often heard of big pine trees that topple over in storms, probably rain to loosen the soil and wind to give it a push and it makes you wonder why nature didn't develop a better root system in these trees.  I sure hope my daughter isn't parked within range of one of these trees.  Having a new mower will be great, Cal ... I'm not a Country girl, but I think that I could enjoy that too.  Both Larry and I had mothers that were born and raised on farms.  His was from Michigan and mine was from Maine.  I loved the stories that my mother would tell me about it all.  My two brothers don't know any of it, they weren't interested and didn't bother to listen.

I'm glad to hear that the doctor was happy with your toe, Joho.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #24447 on: January 21, 2022, 05:07:39 AM »

calhound

« Reply #24448 on: January 21, 2022, 05:25:51 AM »

hi you guys my computer is very slow this morning ipad much faster it is 0 here 50 in the barn furnace running probably all night when the sun comes out im sure like yesterday will hit 52 and shut off just so cold but nice in the barn griz barking and barking i got an email from my lawyer on insurance settlement on firebug burning down stuff not real happy with it i gotta go sorry

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/97055D5B4E5B?z=0

calhound

« Reply #24449 on: January 22, 2022, 05:37:21 AM »

hi you guys its 22 here 52 in the barn one gray cat got to pick up groceries

hi neva i saw on the weather channel and world news all the ice in sc and nc hope your kids are okay.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/4B055D5329BA?z=0