Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 602465 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23370 on: May 04, 2021, 07:22:15 AM »

5:37 on fedoras.
Grey day again this morning, but it is 63 degrees at 8am.  So pretty nice out.
 Visit to dentist went well.  Teeth good.  Feel good too after cleaning.  He did reassure me that if I take 10mg of Valium on an empty stomach 1 hour ahead of MRI I will not care about the testing or anything else for a good while.  Will need a driver for sure. I will line one up soon.  Today ,I hope.  I have several persons in mind who have offered assistance in the past. 
How very nice to see Shadow, and especially nice to see her climbing so well.  Spanky too looks good, and so do Doc and his boat.  What a clear detailed picture.
Well coffee is calling me.  Got up a little late this morning, but feel good and getting hungry now.  So i will CUL GB

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #23371 on: May 05, 2021, 06:53:58 AM »

Daily Updates
Happy Days - UPDATE May 4, 2021
04 May 2021
 Print Email
Thank you

Sometimes, I feel thankful for so many things that I just have to say something. Last week, we thanked the volunteers as part of Volunteer Week. Then I get thinking about the dedicated crews at the Bear Center and the Wildlife Research Institute. Today, I was talking to a resident in the Eagles Nest Community who made me feel thankful all over again for the many people who are working hard for the study bears here and have learned to accept bears as part of life in the Northwoods. Today, I saw community emails and videos criss-crossing the airways about who the bears are and who they are related to. Then I see the video of Lucky climbing a dead tree, making a log toy, and playing vigorously with it. It reminded me of how thankful I am that the bears there are happy and stimulated. They eat wild foods in addition to the healthy foods that Sharon and the staff give them. They play with natural forest objects like I’ve seen wild bears do. Their minds are stimulated by each other, by the changing seasons, and to the extent possible by the staff. We do not see the mindless pacing that is common in zoos. Many people have joined together to make all this happen for bears and a better understanding of them. All of that stimulates my mind and gives me a feeling of thankfulness that makes me say to all of you:

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23372 on: May 05, 2021, 06:58:27 AM »

hi you guys its 37 here was 3 raccoonies in the barn hard to get out there jim has to take me in the wheelchair around to the sidewalk get my scooter i get myself in there down that hallway pearl not fond of the scooter and she aint the only one marking days off the calendar till freedom i am happy for the bears too and happy many zoos also have places for them to play be bears and not just the bears with mindless pacing lots of animals that is not right.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/74055D58C852?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23373 on: May 05, 2021, 10:13:38 AM »

8:21  Not my best by far, but finally done.
 47`f and drizzly at 11 am.  Good indoor day I think.  At least for now.
Not much news this morning for me.  Did go out to Swenson's for their delicious cheese burgers last evening.  Had two and also had a small chocolate malt.
  I had a to get a second malt when the first sprung a leak and drooled all over me and my car.
  It seems that I was too vigorous when I inserted the straw which was stiff and sharp edged into the Styrofoam cup it pierced the side and thus a leak.  What a mess.
 Swenson's is new to me.  Only my 3rd visit.  Mary loves them and commented several times how good she felt they are. Kind of a throw back to my teens.  They have carhops who are famous for running to meet all customers and to bring food.  Cute.
Then I popped across the street to return some wrong hardware to Lowes, which was my reason for being in the area.
Well that is it for now I think.
 Doc says he does not like how bears pace in other confined places.  I don't like it either.  Seems maddening and frustrating. Enrichment needed maybe.  Or pond time.  Where is his yellow ducky?  I wonder.
Bye for now.   GB

johoward

« Reply #23374 on: May 05, 2021, 10:26:15 AM »

I see pond cam workers.  I guess that is what is getting Lucky agitated.  He obviously wants to see what is going on.  Perhaps to help out too. LOL Well looks like it will be done today, and he can have some pond time later.  I hope. GB

johoward

« Reply #23375 on: May 05, 2021, 11:45:15 AM »

Found out it is Holly on Lucky Cam.  Lucky is down by Ted Cam with Tasha.  Holly has been pacing.  Not Lucky.  So everything is fine, and as soon as pump is done some bears will be out.  I hope it is Lucky and Holly.  GB

calihoula

« Reply #23376 on: May 05, 2021, 12:23:08 PM »

hi joho i went out in the garage this morning down big step and then floor with my walker jim backed off as i was in a foul mood sick of being wheeled all the way around sick of it. so i did it did
not use my bad foot went all the way out to pearl jim tells me his raccoonie now but they are mine i fed them for years not jim at all i see pearl not wanting to come up to him she wont be stolen.  :)i started up smokey too if not for this huge big boot be driving. i think i can mow stuff i have to push with on my left foot not the right. we have not gotten any unemployment jim mad called they were saying he was an illegal alien wth got his ss number so he is fixing that. ford be out no telling how long terrible depend on a communist country china for chip to build ford pick ups when we went to dr all ford dealers we went past not a single new truck. cant make that chip here in usa? wth hope no bears are pacing if i could i would be pacing watched 3rd rock from the sun earlier forgot how fun that show was. gb
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #23377 on: May 06, 2021, 06:30:08 AM »

hi you guys it like 53 here rainy 2 raccoonies in the barn they almost ran into my lap to get treats i walked on that foot yesterday afternoon had too for pearl so hope it is okay

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/06055D517455?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23378 on: May 06, 2021, 07:14:05 AM »

5:53 gm GB

lupinelady

« Reply #23379 on: May 06, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »

Morning all- just had to post- Smokey is back!!! Yay!!! I saw him yesterday morning- before it got light out, Then he came to eat late last night just before dark. Hubby fed him. He was also here this morning. Unfortunately we are back to him running off when he sees us. We put out food but i don't know for sure he eats. We have another stray around who is black. He runs off too. Hubby did see Smokey eat last evening.  At least he is back.

cul

calihoula

« Reply #23380 on: May 06, 2021, 01:58:26 PM »

2:56

Hi lupe!  :) yay smokey! well he knows where the food is and where you guys are! maybe next come back in the house! thanks for letting us know! i walked to the barn this morning i used my walker but times i had to put that foot down pearl very upset not taking her medicine for jim runs from him i got her to take it not sure what is going out there but i intend to find out and told pearl im back i will take care of you. going to have sister bring up moms little red wagon from the basement put her hay in it pull it out to the barn hope i dont mess my foot up but not losing pearl over it either. only use it for her rest of the time keep off of it. yay smokey!  :)

hi joho me and sister watched royals indians last night well now too not cool that pitcher hitting salvy in the back
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #23381 on: May 07, 2021, 06:24:57 AM »

Daily Updates
How do the WRI and the NABC differ? Sudden openings in the Bear Field Study Courses - UPDATE May 6, 2021 
06 May 2021
 Print Email
Today I saw a message asking how the Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center differ. They are two separate but related nonprofit organizations—the NABC a mile west of Ely and the Wildlife Research Institute 15 miles west of Ely.

WRI Research Cabin
WRI Research Cabin
The WRI is mainly about Research and the NABC about education. WRI research created the NABC to reach out to the public.

From the about us page on the website:

20210506 bear course 2
WRI Visitor
"Working with biologist Lynn Rogers, Ph.D., for over 40 years, the Wildlife Research Institute (WRI) is conducting the longest and most detailed black bear study and the largest educational outreach program ever done for black bears. Research focuses on improving coexistence between people and bears in an increasingly urbanized environment. WRI provides the information to over a hundred million people each year through TV, radio, books, magazines, museum exhibits, black bear courses, and the Internet. It created the content for the North American Bear Center's new Visitor Center, which opened near Ely, Minnesota, on May 5, 2007. WRI works with government agencies to improve bear management. WRI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization supported by course fees, lecture fees, memberships, donors, merchandise sales, and dedicated volunteers."

The WRI website is www.bearstudy.org and its Facebook page is ‘Lily the Black Bear’ at https://www.facebook.com/lily.the.black.bear. The Facebook page is also about education and has over 198,000 likes and 171,000 followers. The daily updates are posted on that page as well as Twitter, the website and is also sent out in e-mail form to subscribers. Anyone can subscribe for free by clicking on the subscribe button at the bottom of the website’s home page and entering your name and email. Moderators on the Facebook page answer many questions about bears.

NABC outside
North American Bear Center

NABC bears
NABC bears
The NABC is a big building on Highway 1, also called Highway 169, a mile before Ely, and it has many displays that include over 60 videos and many pictures. It has a reputation for being full of information. It is also the common source of information for many wildlife agencies, authors, and the media. NABC exhibits
NABC exhibits
It is listed on Trip Advisor as the number one attraction in Ely, Minnesota. There is so much more that we want to add to it, but what makes it popular is that it has the kind of information that people want to know. The theme for it developed as I gave lectures across America in the 1990’s and early 2000’s and heard the same questions at university after university. It answers those questions and more. It is also popular because people can learn directly from the four ambassador bears as they interact with each other and their forest and pond environment with guaranteed visibility in their 2½-acre enclosure. It’s website is www.bear.org and its Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmericanBearCenter. Together, these sites include a lot of the information in the exhibits.

Of special interest for those wanting to learn directly from wild bears are the Black Bear Field Study Courses offered by the WRI on its website at www.bearstudy.org or at this time by emailing Judy Thon at [email protected] . Three vacancies opened up yesterday when participants on the other side of the world found they could not get airline tickets due to travel restrictions. Those vacancies are in the August 9-12, 2021 course. More information on the courses is on the website. Travel restrictions are also likely to open up spaces in three of the other courses (email Judy for more information).

Bear Course Hike
Bear Course Participants

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23382 on: May 07, 2021, 06:30:55 AM »

hi you guys its 40 here some places in the 30's. good update telling about both places. pictures are great. be fun to go up there.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C5055D53A768?z=0

hi joho royals done playing cleveland for awhile yay they sure have the strike out pitchers!

calihoula

« Reply #23383 on: May 07, 2021, 11:43:05 AM »

3:51 joho you okay?

johoward

« Reply #23384 on: May 07, 2021, 12:07:46 PM »

I had 5:??  Sent email.  See if it got through.  Three cubs and mom now on Snowman Cam BTW GB