Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 631558 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23400 on: May 13, 2021, 05:26:10 AM »

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23401 on: May 14, 2021, 05:23:27 AM »

Daily Updates
Greenup Means Bear Food - UPDATE May 13, 2021 
13 May 2021
 Print Email
Plants are busting out all over from the forest floor. A major one is this favorite: large-leafed aster. In my old days of walking with bears, they made this a main food for the first couple weeks when the leaves were still in their furled and furry form. Large-leafed Aster 5-12-21
Large-leafed Aster 5-12-21
At this fast-growing stage, nutrients are mostly in a highly digestible fluid form and secondary compounds are still minimal. Secondary compounds are the distasteful chemicals that protect them from being eaten. When the leaves enlarge and spread, they are past their time of desirability, and the bears turn to other foods. More tomorrow.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23402 on: May 14, 2021, 05:25:58 AM »

calhound

« Reply #23403 on: May 15, 2021, 06:00:39 AM »

Daily Updates
RC Comfort Nursing and Then a Mystery - UPDATE May 14, 2021 
14 May 2021
 Print Email
On the evening of May 10, RC’s four yearlings were up white pines and she was sitting quietly at the base when she suddenly tore off after a bear that approached too closely. RC and yearlings May 10
RC and yearlings on May 10, 2021
RC has always been the most aggressive mother we know. She then calmly returned and offered a session of comfort nursing (no milk) that the cubs all came down to be part of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAD1AySz91E.

Over the next two days, they were all seen together three times through 6:30 AM on the 12th. But that evening at 8:50 PM only two were with her. Where were the other two? Had they stayed up a tree when RC said it was time to move on? Had they become a bit independent as yearlings sometimes do when the time of break-up approaches? She seemed fine with the two that were with her, and she was her same old defensive self, running off a nearby bear and chasing him deep into the woods. At 9 PM, she calmly returned and led them off. We know family break-up will be soon. Did she leave us with another incomplete story of how it happens? None of them have been seen in the last two days. We treasure the opportunities bears have given us to see the whole process of family break-up.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23404 on: May 15, 2021, 06:04:03 AM »

ruesgram

« Reply #23405 on: May 15, 2021, 05:01:34 PM »

Hi Jewelies! It finally warmed up, today! It has been so cold this past week.  So we, Crow and I, went to a couple garden centers! Both places were packed. I think everyone had the same idea to get out and start planting. Both stores had signs up saying no masks or no social distancing was required if you were fully vaccinated. Crow and I still wore our masks as did most of the other older people. I don't know when I'll ever feel safe without my mask!

Cal, we drove past several car dealerships today on our way to the garden centers. The car lots had very few cars! Even the used car lots were practically empty! Hope things straighten up soon so Jim can get back to work full time! Did you watch Blacklist last night?  How was your dr appointment? Mother Day was a bad day to order from Olive Garden. Normally when we get take out we only have to wait 10 minutes at the most for them to bring out our food. But this time it took them 35 minutes! The place was jammed packed! Our food was good and hot, so no complaints! Are you watching the horse race? Crow has been watching off and on all afternoon noon.

Jo, hope you are doing ok!

Have a great evening! :)

calhound

« Reply #23406 on: May 16, 2021, 05:34:20 AM »

Daily Updates
RC With All Four - UPDATE May 15, 2021 
15 May 2021
 Print Email
RCs Jackson
RC's Jackson
RC's Jackson in tree
RC's Jackson in tree
RC's Josie
RC's Josie

RC and her four are back together, so we haven’t missed family break-up with them yet. They appeared here today about 8:20 AM for weights and ID pictures. They made weighing difficult by getting on the scale all at once, but as they got on and off, it looked like they weighed 50, 50, 58, and 68 with RC weighing about 252.

They showed their chest blazes better than ever today, but I need another opportunity like this to get them all pinned down. Jackson, the only male, did the best, giving a good view of his face and chest for a catalog picture.

RC's four yearlings

It’s super having RC here like this after the family has spent most of their time at other feeding stations. When they are up in trees, it’s hard to see blazes because the yearlings are usually lying on them or have them pressed against the tree trunk. But Josie, the one with the injured nose, showed her blaze up in a tree better than ever. At other times, like in the family picture here, they don't typically spread their forelegs enough to see the whole blaze. Jackson showed them how to pose, but they didn’t pay attention.

I hope they keep coming. I want to pin down Jenna’s and Julia’s blazes better.

calhound

« Reply #23407 on: May 16, 2021, 05:55:14 AM »

hi you guys heavy rain coming 3 raccoonies in the barn following me and jim throwing cupcakes left and right happy rc still with her kids.

hi rues. i was wrong on my dr appt it is tomorrow at 9:45 i loosen my ace bandage on it last night for a few hours then tighten it back up sleep at night now with that boot off not getting up and so i take it off. hope my xray will be okay walk on it using the walker try to walk on the just the heel and just out to the barn and back. i watched the preakness ra did too. rombauer was amazing i was trying to listen about bob babbit with his horse in the derby on drugs sister talking and talking about how jockeys dont have their mask on who cares sister they are riding i would not wear on at all riding!! bob out of the kentucky derby for who knows how long cause of that. good should not drug up an animal like that!! heck with him now. olive gardens was packed for you guys but your food hot and you did not have to get out so be worth it. yesterday we went to walmart i used my scooter did the whole store but we had our mask on and we went to the feed store mask on there too. here some places no mask some mask we will just wear our mask too. i finally text joho on his phone yesterday he was watching a school game outside taking a nap should of let us know about his mri i said back to him guess your mri went okay. i have not watched last friday black friday yet sister is still here taking care of the cats downstairs has helped jim alot i can not go down stairs. oh jim went back to bed griz barking hang on scooter time. okay he is quiet for now when we go to the store sister stays here watches the dogs griz bark she touches him let him know he is not alone. we take the truck i cant ride 3 up front too crowded and jim throws my scooter in the back of his pickup.

hi lupe! how is smokey doing? how are you guys?

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A6055D4AACC9?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #23408 on: May 16, 2021, 11:17:22 AM »

3:24 mouse on cheese pouring down rain here  :( girls growling at thunder
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23409 on: May 17, 2021, 05:03:23 AM »

Hi ev1,
Deb on way, then new knee.  I am ready.  Not sure when I will next see a computer so CUL GB.

calhound

« Reply #23410 on: May 17, 2021, 05:25:00 AM »

hi you guys i go see my dr this morning hoping he takes out this pin in my little toe.

hi joho good luck on your new knee let us know how it went

hi lupe i sent you an email yesterday saw on my lap top rafa won! :)

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/1C055D55DA2A?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23411 on: May 18, 2021, 05:54:46 AM »

Daily Updates
News from Sharon, RC with Four, and More - UPDATE May 17, 2021 
17 May 2021
 Print Email
RC and 4 yearlings
RC and her 4 yearlings

Bear News – May 16, 2021

Bear news for the week of May 9
A tree falls, Holly eats a head of romaine lettuce, and Ted shows Lucky he’s still the boss.

Ted
Ted
On Saturday morning staff and volunteers joined in to clean the straw out of Ted’s den. It always amazes me how 3 bales of straw can turn into 14 bales of straw by one big bear. While Ted was out, he strolled past the first enclosure where Lucky has been living. Lucky quickly moved to defend his area and Ted turned to face off with him through the fence. They gargled at each other, and Ted turned and walked away. He ate some grass on the mound and was about to return to his own den when Lucky blew at him. Ted quickly responded by running to the fence. He looked at Lucky and rubbed his head on the outside of the enclosure. Lucky sat down and Ted moved down the path to Tasha’s den.

Ted is currently on his meds for his cupping of his front paws. He is under my close supervision as well as his veterinarian. I appreciate the calls of concern and we are doing all we can to keep Ted mobile, comfortable and pain free.

Holly
Holly
His next encounter was Holly who had taken over Tasha’s den temporarily. She blew at him and stood looking at him. Ted made some gentle grunts and then rubbed his head on her gate and she licked his head. He stayed by her for a few minutes but then left to return to his den.

During her morning breakfast Holly sat peacefully and enjoyed a head of romaine lettuce. The two females are still going into the big enclosure together. This will change in a short time as Holly comes into estrus; when this occurs, the girls will not be out together.

A week ago, Lucky pushed the remains of a dead tree over. He carried a piece of it up to a daybed area just beyond Ted’s den. He is still playing with it. Tasha rips open the logs to enjoy bugs and larvae. She often sits there because she can see when Holly is coming from the bunkers. Holly often ambushes Tasha by hiding in the brush or cutting Tasha off as she tries to get to her den.

Tasha
Tasha
Lucky posed for a few pictures as the bunkers were being cleaned. He’s such a handsome bear and I feel he knows it. It was a sunny day and he actually sat for the sun to hit him and warm his tummy.

Last weekend a quick storm hit Ely. Some areas got heavy rain and hail, high winds and then snow. One of the tall poplar trees broke in half and fell on the outside fence. When we suspect a weather situation, the bears are put in their individual enclosures for their own safety. That is why they were in over the weekend. I apologize for the inconvenience, but the safety of the bears comes first.

Lucky
Lucky
In other bear related news, Ted’s den is clean and soon we will have interns to clean the bunkers. It’s been challenging with the water due to low temperatures at night we’ve been unable to use the hoses. The good news is we are due for some warmer weather so the hoses will be going out. It makes a huge difference when we fill gallon after gallon and playful Tasha dumps hers for attention.

Don’t forget our Bears’ Half-birthday Fundraiser celebration is coming up, watch for more details coming soon.

Thank you for all you do for the bears,
Sharon Herrell, Sr. Bear Keeper

Pine marten
Pine marten

At the WRI, RC showed up with her four yearlings at 6:46 PM. An hour earlier, a pine marten livened the day. We don’t usually see them at this time of year, just like we don’t see mink now.

calhound

« Reply #23412 on: May 18, 2021, 05:58:25 AM »

calihoula

« Reply #23413 on: May 18, 2021, 12:26:06 PM »

hi you guys i went to the dr this morning gracie took off my wraps bandages toe bruised and stuff still straight pin in my little toe was halfway out its so painful they had told me when it healed pon would push out but told me leaving it in  :( come back in 9 days take it out but gave me stuff to use if it comes out before that. took xrays i have been walking on it with my heel couple times all the down yeow back on heel so xrays looked good  :) wanted to cast it i said no keep crummy boot i take it off at night she said im an adult yes i am worried about my dogs i said my posse is good my four dogs do not hit my foot at night ev1 in their spot with me on the bed and sleep. they been my biggest help stick with me just could not do this without them or pearl walk thru fire for pearl. so they said i would not them taking off dressing stuck on to my big toe where nail was removed  :( then took out them stitches oh man jim came over i was hurting so they said i can now wash my foot and walk on it using my heel good no cast for 4 weeks after pin is taken out then put me in a shoe i know me jim too shoe be on before then.

joho texted me showed his hospital bed said emh new knee feel ok so far but no chat for awhile until i get home spread word please and take care of yourself your worried pen pal

so yay he did it! got that new knee  :)

hi rues i watched blacklist oh it was so good! that priva or whatever is her name is awesome sister never seen blacklist but on the edge of the ottoman.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #23414 on: May 19, 2021, 08:37:15 AM »

Daily Updates
I Hope They’re Okay - UPDATE May 18, 2021
18 May 2021
 Print Email
A call came in that a car had hit two cubs in the study area. The only mother with cubs, two cubs, seen in the area so far this year was Sallyann just a half mile from that spot. Sallyann’s cubs are the 8th generation in Shadow’s Clan. I hurried there and saw one of the cubs being protected from traffic by our stellar local conservation officer. I was surprised to see the cub so calm with him, but the cub was in danger. Good Conservation Officer
Good Conservation Officer
Several times it went to the middle of the highway and lay down curled up. The CO would then go herd the cub in the direction the mother had left with the other cub. But the cub wanted to go the other direction—away from the mother’s direction. Traffic was being held up. The CO was glad to see me there. I said maybe I should pick up the cub and carry it down a driveway in the direction the mother went. We didn’t see any other way to get them together. The cub was lying curled up in the middle of the highway. I gently picked her up and found myself holding a screaming, fighting cub and learning how sharp a 4-month-old cub’s claws and teeth are. We hurried down the driveway until I was out of breath The CO said it was a good place to leave the cub. I set her down but she was not done fighting for her life. She ran up my pant leg to bite me some more. Then, someone else arrived and she went after him. She also went after the CO. We all backed away. She calmed down and moved to a nearby white pine and looked around as if for mom. I had hoped the screaming would bring the mother running, but it didn’t. We left.

Lynn's Hand
Lynn's Hand
I went to the house where Sallyann had been seen yesterday. The people were wondering why they hadn’t seen her yet today. We dabbed my hand with alcohol and covered it to stop the bleeding. I went to the WRI. A few hours later, they called to say Sallyann was there with both cubs intact. But no one saw the mother of the cubs that had been hit well enough to describe her. Was it really Sallyann? We’re waiting to see if another lactating female comes in with one, two, or no cubs. I hope they are all okay.

Sometimes it’s hard to know what to do. I learned a little about how angry and courageous cubs can get. I’d never seen that before. I hope the mother hears the cub calling for her. I hope it truly is Sallyann and that the cubs are okay although undoubtedly bruised.