Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 620808 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23385 on: May 07, 2021, 12:10:23 PM »

Bears gone now.

calihoula

« Reply #23386 on: May 07, 2021, 02:32:57 PM »

hi joho i saw the bears  :) tigers there now!
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #23387 on: May 08, 2021, 06:36:16 AM »

hi you guys raining in the city hope it does not around here. hope everyone is okay

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/BF055D59218B?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #23388 on: May 08, 2021, 11:37:16 AM »

hi rues just watched blacklist real cat and mouse stuff townsend pretty scary and nuts her going down that hole in the van im sure i read another season so hoping red will be okay we are going to walmart pick up groceries jim has ate all the food
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #23389 on: May 09, 2021, 06:09:10 AM »

Daily Updates
Family Breakup for Valentine and Her Yearlings - UPDATE May 8, 2021 
08 May 2021
 Print Email
Valentine's blaze
Valentine's blaze
Last night at 5:30 PM, Valentine and her yearlings were here for less than a half hour. They were following her closely. Around 6:45 PM, they were back, again following her closely. Shortly, there was a commotion. Valentine was vigorously chasing one of the yearlings, The other had already disappeared. Valentine paced back and forth, looking to see if they were visible. Then she turned to eating while continuing to surveil the area. That’s when this ID picture of her blaze was photographed through the window—reflections and all. At 10:45 PM, after Valentine was gone, the largest of her two yearlings showed up to reveal that he weighed 86.5 pounds at this critical time in his life.

At 10:35 AM today, the day before Mothers’ Day, a fellow feeder called to say that Valentine was at her place alone—no yearlings in sight. Each bear mother goes through family breakup in a different way.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23390 on: May 09, 2021, 06:13:53 AM »

hi you guys lots of raccoonies in the barn this morning throwing out little debbies right and left and cookies all over. its rainy and 48 north wind blowing. very sad update today on mothers day. i was thinking how lucky some are to have their mothers still. so this update is so sad. awful young to be just kicked out not right to me.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C5055D54F878?z=0

ruesgram

« Reply #23391 on: May 09, 2021, 10:53:07 AM »

Happy Mother's Day! Hope everyone has a nice day. We will probably get take out from Olive Garden. Still don't feel safe eating inside a restaurant. Our governor said if we can get to 70% vaccinated by West Virginia Day, June 20, he will end the mask mandate. There are still a lot of people out there that refuse to be vaccinated.   It's been horrible here for the past few days. Rainy and cold. Might warm up later this week. I hope so!

Cal, I thought the same thing about the update! What a sad day for the yearlings when their mom's abandon them. Mother Nature can be cruel. Did Jim get his unemployment sorted out? How's Polly?

Lupe, glad that Smokey is still hanging around!

calihoula

« Reply #23392 on: May 09, 2021, 01:41:08 PM »

hi rues! you will enjoy your special day olive gardens! when you get take out is it fast? oh i hated that update i watched the turkey vulture cam marshall mo very nice barn with great hay she has two eggs good mom too i saw i had a missed call from sister earlier her last day is tuesday. jim called jeff city on his unemployment lady told him be fix tomorrow so will see i file again tomorrow three weeks no pay where they got alien in the first place? i think ford goes back for two weeks on the 17 th then off till end of june  :( i dont understand why midwest ford running commercials for ford pick ups when plant has been closed. cold rainy here too.

calhound

« Reply #23393 on: May 10, 2021, 06:17:04 AM »

hi you guys its 37 here no raccoonies in the barn this morning pearl says get back here with them treats!

Hi joho good luck today!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/B5055D517809?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23394 on: May 10, 2021, 09:40:18 AM »

5:43 Thanks Cal. GB

calihoula

« Reply #23395 on: May 10, 2021, 05:20:52 PM »

hi joho checking to see how you did

hi rues i had to get off my foot today give it a rest i watched downtown abby movie had it recorded for a long while it was so good! oh those royal servants grr that wilson grr so fun to see everyone again just so good.

calhound

« Reply #23396 on: May 11, 2021, 07:05:37 AM »

Daily Updates
Valentine’s Family Breakup, Continued - UPDATE May 10, 2021 
10 May 2021
 Print Email
Dustin and Dexter
Dustin and Dexter

Dustin   Dustin   Dustin
Dustin
After Valentine did us the favor of splitting from her two male yearlings right here at the WRI on the evening of May 7, Dexter and Dustin stopped back by here on May 9 to show what they do when newly on their own. They were not traveling together. For refuge, they spent time up separate trees, but they peacefully shared food that evening. The picture of the two taken at 9:43 PM on May 9 shows timid Dustin (70.5 pounds) calmly eating while his bolder big brother (88.5 pounds) had his head up alert for danger. Newly separated yearlings are very wary and spend a lot of time up trees. Dustin was still here this evening (May 10) and is shown alert at the base of his white pine looking and listening before going up his big white pine, probably for the night.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23397 on: May 11, 2021, 07:10:23 AM »

hi you guys very happy to read the update. been worried about them boys staying close to dr rogers they will be safe and okay. much love to dr rogers.

Hi joho hope you are okay. i took off my heavy i mean heavy boot last night at midnight i just had too first time i did that. all dogs were sound asleep gave me alot of relief put it back on later on. see dr friday hope he takes out that pin in my little toe but at the same time its going to hurt. i will never have foot surgery again.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D7055D503645?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23398 on: May 12, 2021, 05:57:10 AM »

Daily Updates
RC and Her 4 Yearlings Still Together - UPDATE May 11, 2021 
11 May 2021
 Print Email
As of 8 PM this evening, RC and her four yearlings were still together. The pictures are from yesterday evening when RC suddenly went on alert and her four yearlings ran to a white pine refuge tree ready to climb, looking intently in the direction 22-year-old RC
RC
RC had moved to check whatever sound or scent alerted her. She quickly relaxed and gave a nice look at the camera. The yearling to the left has its foreleg around the waist of the yearling next to it, showing how thick the fur is. RC also still has her winter fur and is looking bigger than life. The yearling up on the log to the right in the picture is the female that has the injured muzzle. I was happy to see that she has good use of her teeth and tongue and can ingest many foods just fine. As we mentioned before, she will be hampered in gathering berries which they pick with their lips that are mostly missing. I can only think she was bitten by an animal with powerful jaws and was rescued by RC before more happened.

RC's 4 yearlings May 10
RC's 4 yearlings May 10
I know there is confusion in the names of Valentine’s yearlings. We will be straightening out the names in Shadow’s Clan soon. The person who named Valentine’s cubs named Dustin for his dusty looking chest blaze compared with the bright patch of his big brother Dexter.

Beautiful weather and beautiful bears with intriguing action now as family breakup is upon us along with mating season and the beginning of green-up when the bears are functioning at full metabolism and beginning to roam to both forage and mate.

calhound

« Reply #23399 on: May 12, 2021, 05:59:16 AM »