Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 588390 times)

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #8100 on: Yesterday at 02:55:30 PM »

some bounce

((Lani))
Lisa  :D
KB... wow

BL - tnx

Ok folks... it was 2 large branches and 3 small ones. NO TREES. Hence, the price.
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #8101 on: Yesterday at 03:31:02 PM »

Hello Beakers!

The Helene death toll continues to rise. I will spare you the rising numbers. You can look it up if you want to know. The number missing is now an unknown - just say hundreds. Prayers for all.

BL, thank you! I have smelled that smell.

Beakers, good news for my TENNESSEE  Mtns Sis - she  and her husband are heading back home today! - their power is back on!! No clean water yet, but progress! Her NC mtns grown son (my nephew!), and his wife, who lost their stored contents of their home in the flooding not far from where they live, are coming to help my Mtns Sis and her husband today - to help with things, like clearing out and hauling away the contents of their 2 refrigerators and freezers.  I'm waiting to hear from my Mtns Sis that she and her husband have made it home safely. The roads are still treacherous and covered with debris that punctures tires and such, as well.

Bless that nephew of mine and his wife.  :-*  I'm biased, I know.  ;)  They currently live in a remote area of the northwestern NC mountains, but the house they are living in was safe from floodwater, thankfully, as well as the house next door to it - they built both of them in a remote forested area - a few miles from West Jefferson, NC. They are letting a couple live in the home next to them who have lost power to their home. That nephew and his wife are professional restorers, builders, etc... they have been working hard in another tiny west NC mountain town, also not far from West Jefferson, NC, where another of their properties is that they had stored the contents of their home in and lost it all to flooding. They are handling that very well, and are staying non-stop busy helping elsewhere where there is great need. Anyway... that little town is one of the many that was basically destroyed by Helene's flooding. He and his wife are helping clear out and rebuild/restore an 86-year old woman's home that was completely flooded. She lives in a home that is a neighboring property to the property my nephew owns there (where their stored house contents flooded). He and his wife, and some associates of his, are donating much equipment and supplies, and all their labor, of course, and more, to the effort of saving that home for that 86-year old woman. He started a GoFundMe page for saving her home to help mitigate the extensive costs, since they won't be able to get all needed supplies donated, even though some of it is being donated by others to help, thankfully. Of course I won't post the GoFundMe listing here, but I am going to copy the description of what that woman has gone through, below - it is just 1 of the many incredible stories from that region - there are hundreds of them!!

Here is a portion of it: (I'm blotting out her name here. Think of an 86-year old woman, living alone, doing this.)

"M***** S*****, 86, a long-time resident of Lansing, NC, and the town's historian, is in need. Her home, once a gas station owned by her father, was severely damaged in the Helene flooding that has affected much of western NC. At 1 pm on Friday, she was forced out of her home as a mudslide to her right and floodwater to her left gave her no choice. She watched from a hilltop as her town was devastated, walked back down through a foot of mud, and spent 2 nights in that flooded home until roads permitted her to get out and stay with family outside the area.   
  ..."

Understandably, I am so happy my nephew and his wife are undertaking this project to help someone who lives near a property they own in one of the tiny NC mountain towns hit so hard by mudslides and flooding. I can just visualize this woman, in all that mud and rain and floodwater, climbing up the mountainous hill and looking down as the town totally floods, and then somehow getting back down in all that mud, and staying in her home the next 2 nights till she could get out to safety with family members elsewhere.

((Karen)), that's wonderful of your nice neighbors to get that work done in your yard! Detours are in all the states now that got hit so hard by Helene. Of course many people still don't have any open roads anywhere to get out.

((Lani)), I'm so sad about that news from Brooks Falls! My heart goes out to all who follow and love the Katmai/Brooks Falls story there. Heartbreaking news.

Lisa, I saw the green on the weather radar near you, and had wondered if you were getting much rain from that. Congrats on your continuing good lab reports!

Phyl, nice treats after your appt.

Clynn, it would be pretty cool if Erin and Bradley got to know each other! They def would have a lot in common!

TSK, ugh on your phone outage yesterday. I heard about that VZW nationwide outage yesterday. Thankfully, I didn't have issues from that here. Glad you're working again and got the call from your doc by way of your hubby.

KB, happy Fall gardening!

Lori, that's a lot of pumpkins! LOL. Has Destini forgiven you yet for her Fall shave?

Waving to All the Beakers. Take care, (((All))).  :-*

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:28:19 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #8102 on: Yesterday at 04:15:28 PM »

LORI  You welcomed us royally into October  ;D

KAREN  Some prayers of gratitude for your new neighbors.  Helps to know someone is there.  Did they offer their phone number?
Did you offer them electricity  LOLOL   I knew Pres. Jimmy was up there - Boy 100  God bless him.

KB   WOW  What a story!!!  I put in another 30 minutes of cutting perennials - Have another 30+ minutes to go.

LANI   I immediately went to the Verizon store and there was a big sign on the door announcing the outage - Turned around and  came home.  LOL   Oh how tragic and event at Brooks Falls.  Why would a male do that?  I know sometimes in several species, the cubs will be taken ( big cats I'm thinking of when the tribe gets a new male leader.)

LISA   Honda Pilot - The years have to be different!!   Nice job with your A1C ;D ;D

BL   Thank you so much - that is what I really hate about AI.  You just don't know what to believe anymore!!!

BAZI   WHAT a story about that very hearty 86 yr old town historian!!  Traipsing through all that mud etc   What a wonderful nephew.  Proud is the word.
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #8103 on: Yesterday at 06:34:01 PM »

Yah!...I just heard my friends are at their son's house a few miles away from their home. However, still no electricity, cell phone service, internet, or WATER!

karengramke

« Reply #8104 on: Yesterday at 09:33:19 PM »

Lani, terrible news from the bears!  Nature is cruel, for sure!   Hugs to you and all!
Good for you Lisa!

The new neighbors did supply me with his business card with her name and phone number on the back!   Nice.  In addition to moving very large limbs on the front lawn to tge growing mound of branches at the curb they repaired tge fence across my back yard!  The owners  of the   fences did  not even say thanks as they worked!  Oh well.  The fence has to be replaced!   His son came over yesterday and moved the large branches  to the front yard pile!  All good until  the yard folks can get here.   The young man is a  hs sophomore’s , very bright and on the autism spectrum!   He volunteered that info!   I paid him and I have a gift certificate for the adults to Longhorn to thank them and welcome them to the neighborhood .  The nexr door folks showed up today to cleanup, a little!

Drove around some today and there is a lot of tree damage. Trees are laying on roofs around the area, including in my neighborhood, and an RV is smashed completely, and the front end of it. I hope some of the house and can be fixed without too much more damage to the structures anyway, fortunately for us, we cannot compete with what   HELELE dead in the mountains. Hope everyone has a good night and will see you all in the morning.. SEDS

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #8105 on: Today at 12:04:26 AM »

Devil's Tower, Wyoming

Don't believe everything you see online.

AI. Photoshop. Bogus.

This is what Devils Tower looks like from above as I flew over it in 1995.

Unless it's entire core has eroded away in the interim.  :)

Well, thank God! I'll be able to sleep tonight! That other pic is a bit nightmarish!  ;D
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #8106 on: Today at 12:39:46 AM »

Lisa, Good appt and report from your dr.  ;D

Baz, Yes, I remember your posts about Etta.... Did your sister adopt another cat?

Tig,  For tree/brush removal, it's still a ridiculous price. Especially, when you're on a tight budget. I know we are. It's why I do a lot of the work. I know you do as well.

Baz, what a wonderful story about the 86 yr old woman... you have an awesome family. I know you're very proud.

Karen, you have wonderful neighbors. It's very sweet of you to give them a gift certificate for their kindness to help.  :-*

Kb, Tsk, Phyl, Karen, Lisa, The rangers think the adult male bear #469 may have done this before, because he was the aggressor and wanted to fight/eat his prey. He has not been seen today.....  The female #402 has been known for years there to be non-aggressive, she always brought her cubs/yearlings to the falls... She tried to runaway. Rangers do not interfere unless it was caused by a human. So, there it is. I'm skipping Fat Bear week this year, thankfully, he's not on the list.... no more discussion about it. sorry...

Good night!

Good night Gully, stay safe tonight.  :-*

Good night and prayers for our Beak, Cheers and Forum family and friends. So much sadness and worry, prayers for loss of life, communities, animals, wildlife,
Those left behind
  🙏.

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Eaglesrock, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Tim and Tsk, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Tig, Clynn and family, Lisa, Jeff and Family, Tsk/Tim's cousin Joe, Lori, grandmothers and family, Baz, Eaglesrock, Eagles and Mom, Tsk's bro and wife Margaret, Karen and Piper, Lisa's FIL, Puff, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Paulie, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Jicaji, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Tsk and Tim, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen and Piper, Clynn and family, Lisa, Jeff and Family, Baz and family, Eagle and family, Tsk's DIL Amy, Puff, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Hellgate Osprey Antali, Etta, Denton eaglets and nest, Trempealeau Eagles’ Nest, Tiny Tammy and Paws of War, Harley and his little siblings, Miss Maggie, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all the Feral cats, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander