Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 520689 times)

oldguy

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #7110 on: August 26, 2024, 12:05:59 AM »

Puff - that channel is Apau Hawaii Tours - it is a 1 man (Scott) and a pickup, tour operator on the Big Island. He does personal tours of up to 5 people.  He lives in Leilani Estates (the housing development that had half of the homes destroyed by lava in 2018)  He was one of about 5 locals that did a real good job of covering the eruption.  He bought a lava lot in 2019 that was on the side of fissure 8, so he could bring his tours into the community to show them the destruction up close.  He has covered all of the eruptions of Kilauea since then.  He lives with Charles, who does the channel "Doing Hawaii", which is bot run 24/7, to give current status of Kilauea and Mauna Loa Volcanoes.
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #7111 on: August 26, 2024, 12:58:31 AM »

Phyl, thanks for nature video and Cornell Lab news on birds and their need for water... what a wonderful and special memory of your mom's special donuts, and your family working together to make them and share with friends.

Lisa, I was hungry for donuts this morning and your aunt's donuts would hit the spot! YUM!

Puff, I was reading an article the other day about R66 celebration coming. https://www.route66-centennial.com/

Tsk, glad Tim felt a bit better today...continued prayers.

Oldguy, thanks for videos... lave update... and the rain from Hone doesn't look bad in the city, but the falls and down below, there must be tremendous flooding! Goodness, that is raging! Thanks for info on Scott and Apau Hawaii Tours...

{{{Tig}}}

Good night!

Iris  :-*

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Eaglesrock, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Tig, Tim and Tsk, Clynn and family, Lisa, Jeff and Family, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Tsk/Tim's cousin Joe, Lori, grandmothers and family, Baz, Eaglesrock, Eagles and Mom, Tsk's bro and wife Margaret, Karen and Piper, Lisa's FIL, Puff, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Paulie, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Jicaji, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Karen and Piper, Clynn and family, Lisa, Jeff and Family, Tim and Tsk, Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Puff, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Hellgate Osprey Antali, Etta, Denton eaglets and nest, Trempealeau Eagles’ Nest, Tiny Tammy and Paws of War, Harley and his little siblings, Miss Maggie, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all the Feral cats, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #7112 on: August 26, 2024, 06:01:55 AM »

Good Morning Everyone.!

Currently: 74F partly  sunny , High  97F sunny,  with  Low 74F

Hope everyone had a pleasant evening and a good night's rest.

Gosh, I sure need could follow  the snail's advice in the AM. LOL
Off to the Doc’s in a bit.
Everybody HAGD.

Puff tks for sharing that celebratory news/ info on Route 66/I 55.  No doubt  about the number of celebrants at that time.I was very young when we took those R66/I55 routes

Tsk Good 'ol AAA and those trip ticks. My parents relied on those for a safe, scenic and efficient routes

Lani  tks for the Centennial Celebration of R66 link and Iris perched on the nest

OG been watching those links and all. Some really good stuff. Tks [ Old Faithful In  :)

Prayers for: The Fallen of Abbey Gate; Vietnam, Korean Conflict, WWI and II; Police and First Responders. r friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people.   'Little Gray' and 'Little One' ...All abandoned, abused , lost cats ... stray, unloved, homeless stray and feral cats;
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere . As always, Beakers/families.

Monday’s Symphony

The dawn chorus heralds the light,
A new day born in morning’s embrace,
A symphony of life’s delight,
In every creature’s humble place.

The grinding gears of time’s machine,
Unfolds creation’s rhythmic dance,
A melody of chance and scheme,
A cosmic ballet’s vast expanse.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 12:29:25 PM by Phyl »
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#istandwithisrael

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#istandwithisrael

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7114 on: August 26, 2024, 06:29:47 AM »

Karen thought you might like this link

https://www.theroute-66.com/route66-centennial.html#google_vignette

OLDGUY   I need to Google Rainbow Falls to see the "before"!!

TIG  Awful Hawaiian experience for you.  :(

PHYL  Thanks for the early AM reminders to slow down and smell the roses,  I have a busy day today so good reminder ;D
Chicagoland

clynndunn

• For the love of Eagles....
« Reply #7115 on: August 26, 2024, 07:34:59 AM »

Good Morning Beakers!

Phyl, interesting 365, wonder why they never focused on the bison! Much the same temps here today, 1 degree higher now and 1 degree higher for the high! Another pretty poem for Monday!  Love the morning words from the 59th Street Bridge Song! I always called it a happy song!  https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=Harpers+Bizarre+59th+Street+Song+youtube&&mid=2BD8F8EDAC44F5A24CF32BD8F8EDAC44F5A24CF3&&FORM=VRDGAR

Lani, your good night picture of Iris, I think she is smiling and happy because she finally found a good man and successfully raised two wonderful chicks...

oldguy, wow on the video of Rainbow falls! Thanks for the volcano updates!

tsk, glad to hear that Tim is doing well, just takes more time these days. About my vehicle, I had just filled up with gas in Walcott IA, about 150 miles from home when the warning light came on. I didn't notice then if the engine light was on or not. Called Ed, he called Erin, they told me to pull into the next rest stop, turn the engine off, wait a few minutes and back on. No warning light, so off I went. The warning light came back on in an hour, so I did the same. Car running fine, the light came back on another hour but was close to WDM so I kept going. I finally noticed the little engine light on. Car still fine! Called Ford and got appt for 8:00 Thursday. The engine light was not on. They told me it would be 2-3 hours. At noon I called for update, said they were still looking at it and would get back to me soon. I called again at 1:00 and the 3rd guy told me he would call me back in 5 minutes. No call. So I called back again, UPDATE! Needs a new Turbo Booster, $3600+. Ed took me out to get my car. He made an appointment at the Ford dealer where I bought the car, we shall see what happens. Powertrain warranty is 5 yrs/60,000, but although car is 7 years old, mileage is 41,000 so it might be covered, if that is really the problem. The car should not be running normally if that is the problem!  So there is the story, sorry it's so long!

A woodpecker preparing for winter starts by finding a dead tree and meticulously making holes to store acorns. Each hole is carefully crafted; if it's too large, other birds can easily steal the acorns, and if it's too small, the acorns can break and spoil. By the end of summer, the woodpecker's precise work is complete. The ripened acorns are placed in the holes, with a single large tree trunk capable of holding around 50,000 acorns, ensuring the bird has enough food for a satisfying winter

Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away. ~ Unknown

LisaG1967

« Reply #7116 on: August 26, 2024, 07:38:37 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

Phyl - Thanks for all the bird news. Good luck at doc appt. 

tsk - I am not a big pain pill taker either.  I am knocked out as soon as I take one.  Hope ((Tim)) feels better each day!   :-*   Thanks for your link too on R66!

oldguy - Thanks for the videos.

tig - Oh my, that is hot at 10:30pm.

Lani - Sweet good night pic from Hellgate, looks so peaceful.  Thanks for the R66 link.

clynn - A very orange-y morning  :)  Reading your comment to tsk about the car.  I hope it is covered under the warranty! 

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7117 on: August 26, 2024, 07:51:12 AM »

drip

8:45 a.m. :   temp 77  humidity  97%   !!!   windows are fogged.

OOOO  R66   in 2026. I've been looking for ideas to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary (you know, where we needed to take a Road Trip for our honeymoon, due to being married right after 9/11   ?)    Hmmm. Planning juices are trying to flow. I must check with Camper to see if there is any interest.    8)

Heading outside just long enough to take the patio umbrella down to prep for the expected storm.  :-\

TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

kbshcb

« Reply #7118 on: August 26, 2024, 08:19:00 AM »

Yes,tig with a dew point still at 75 and high temps all my windows were fogged up this am as well.

thanks, oldguy, for the additional weather info from your video.

These conditions do make it seem possible for ominous weather this evening. I got a bad feeling about it.

I will spend my morning preparing as the temps with high dew point will only climb this afternoon.

Like you tig, bring umbrella down and tied down....but, also i will move many annuals in pots to protected cover, and garden art as well...

Plan on grilling my steak for dinner early before noon....just re-heat it later.

I have all my devices covered with battery back up units now since our last power outage. But didn't get better flash- lights yet....darn. It's almost September and thought I could wait till next year. But, Minneapolis and my suburb in particular have had way too many power outages this year to think the way I have!

Later...

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7119 on: August 26, 2024, 08:29:45 AM »

yep... when I got out there I realized my hanging pots in the garden should come down. Would have done that for vacay anyway... so all set to go.
I encountered what I thought was a large dead bug on the sidewalk. Gave it a nudge with my cane. It reacted. So I flipped it over. It gave a loud buzzed "thank you" as it flew away.   ;)
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Puff

« Reply #7120 on: August 26, 2024, 09:47:24 AM »

Nature 365:

https://www.nature365.tv/video/2024-08--26-out-of-the-grass
https://www.nature365.tv

I have a blooming big display of black eyed susan in back back yard.  But no bison - Darn It!   :-\

P

Puff

« Reply #7121 on: August 26, 2024, 10:55:58 AM »

Love that capture of Iris on night duty protecting the nest while she's there.  What she needs to do perhaps is stack her claim on Finnegan!

After finally making my stand at the west end of 66 last year (2023) I did complete the "need".   But still have one point of the authentic to solve - that's on the east beginning. Truth be told they haven't really ever had a true start. 

100 Years means it semi-started officially in 1926.  I believe it was called IL Rte 7.  The Trail was west of what became Chicago, many Indian tribes were set along the path.  One original name was the Pontiac Trail - because the Pontiac Indians said so.  Somehow the east start was placed close to a big  ::)  lake, a good place for practical issues, at Michigan Blvd and Jackson Blvd.  Then to give tourists more room and shoppers more stores, it was moved back toward the beach at Lake Shore Drive and Jackson Blvd.  Current tiny sign is now back at Michigan Blvd and the Art Museum.  So many changes????  Politics, convenience, BIG fire, commercial powers that be, etc., etc, etc.

Truth be told there are 2 "Ends" posted in Santa Monica, too.

My Dad moved to Chgo to find work - then we (Mom, Rodney, Edward, me, Rita =6) joined him in 1953.  Most of the relatives stayed out west.  Mom had 12 brothers/sisters.  They transplanted Washington State to Arizona and Kansas/Nebraska to California.  We spent a lot of time and gas money traveling back and forth to see our extended huge family.  That was on the original Route 66, much later officially I80, 1964.

Wow it looks like my ingrown lerning / teaching mood just took over.   :-*  Class closed.

P

« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 11:00:25 AM by Puff »

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #7122 on: August 26, 2024, 11:41:27 AM »

Monday morning on Sloth TV  :-*

Phyl, I pray you have a good dr appt.... peaceful nature video.

{{{Tsk and Tim}}}

Clynn, beautiful Monday pics... woodpeckers have been busy here planting the acorns in the trees at the dog park.... Read your comments to Tsk about your car. I hope it gets resolved soon....  I was surprised no one commented on Louis's chicks trying to land on Hellgate's nest which was defended by Antali... Louis and his chicks have been seen around the nest and near Iris.

Tig, lots of fun trips to plan for 2026.  ;D

Kb, have a good day  :)

Puff, I always enjoy your special classes  ;D I hear you about Iris and her mates! LOL! I wish they would migrate together.

An Osprey male and female main instinct is to protect their nest. Because it is located near their only food source, fish.
Ospreys nest in a wide variety of habitat types. Good nesting sites are emerging dead or live trees or other structures with easy access located near rivers, lakes, bays, reservoirs, lagoons, swamps, and marshes. Some ospreys have nested within 10 miles of a body of water.

Areas near water have become prime real estate reducing the number of available nesting sites. Ospreys now nest on channel markers, communication towers, and utility poles. Many people provide nesting platforms, which birds readily take.

Nesting Ospreys defend only the immediate area around their nest rather than a larger territory. They will chase away other Ospreys that encroach on their nesting areas.

They leave the nest separate from their mates in early to mid-September.
And won't see each other again till early to mid-April. I pray Iris and Finn will return safely next spring.

All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7123 on: August 26, 2024, 12:41:33 PM »

CLYNN  Orange Monday and representative of the sun and the scorching hot day today  ;) ;)  Car problems are so difficult to diagnose and then you have to decide if you need a second opinion to verify the $$$ of the initial "solution".  Much like humans!!!
Have seen several nature shows identifying that woodpecker behavior  ;D  Amazing

LISA   Spoke with my nephew's wife who is a pharmacist as I wanted to know the safe way to reduce the norco.  She came up with a great plan and we shall see how it works.  He's feeling much better today.

KB  Hopefully with all this preparation - nothing will actually happen  - Hopefully. :-\

PUFF  Always enjoy your classroom lessons!!  ;D ;D

LANI  I did see that video yesterday with Antali's instincts kicking in.  Louis's kids definitely inherited his genes!  I remember the PBS special recently on osprey saying that - to add to your notes-  they don't return because of their partner - they return for the nest!!

Off to run Tim's errands  LOLOL
Chicagoland

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #7124 on: August 26, 2024, 02:00:41 PM »

Bl, you do not waste a minute!
Covid tests are free thru medicare and may cost a copay on advantage plans.
Test at drug stores, dr office and labs.   For do it your self ,

New free tests are being shipped in September.
Baz, help coming Tuesday and it will ave been 13 or 14 days since her exposure.  Cdc guidelines are 10 days so hopefully I am ok! 

Clynn, saw the cats  and pOer towels on fb this am!  Pretty hysterical!
Seds

Karen, I didn't remember it having been that long since your help's exposure. Hope she has been staying safe in the meantime whenever she was around anyone she knew had it. Sounds llike all will be well.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 02:05:35 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center