Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 538062 times)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #7125 on: August 26, 2024, 02:05:09 PM »

{{{Baz}}} Thank you for your comments about my wedding dress. I bought it.... sleep well.

Lani, thanks for updating me about your pretty wedding dress. Maybe I was remembering another beautiful gown you wore from a "throwback" photo here - I don't recall the name of the occasion - I think it was a Hawaain celebration of historical events. Maybe that was the beautiful dress that had been made by either your aunt, or grandmother?? I have a bad memory, LOL! So I look forward to you updating my memory about that, too.  ;) :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #7126 on: August 26, 2024, 02:10:32 PM »

When we got Tim home around 1 PM yesterday I'd say he slept 75% of that time in his recliner.  ( slept not a wink the night he had to stay there.)  So much discomfort and didn't even feel like eating til about 8 PM .  Went to bed about 9.  Heard him in the kitchen at 6:30 - "How did you sleep" - LIKE A ROCK"  Phew!!!  So now we're in Day 2  and each day should be getting better

((TSK)), that's good news that ((Tim)) slept so well after he got home! I know that goes a long way to helping him feel a bit better. I hope he has less discomfort today, too, and will get better and better each day till a full recovery. Hugs all around.  :-*
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

« Reply #7127 on: August 26, 2024, 02:18:25 PM »

Hi Beakers!

I'm catching up on 2 days of posts here, and replying as I go along, I still have a bit to read to get caught up.

FYI for those interested... the 1st round of the US Open Tennis Championship started today - it's airing live now on ESPN, as of noon Eastern time, today, and both ESPN and ESPN2 will air live coverage in primetime tonight starting at 7pm Eastern. Other ESPN family of outlets will cover, too, and I'm sure streaming places, too, which I don't have. I am watching on cable TV. Last week was the qualifying rounds - important because 32 players came from that to start in the 1st round of the tournament play as of today.

Coco Gauff is playing now on ESPN. She's seeded #3, and just won her 1st set 6-2 vs Grecheva (France).
Djokovic plays his 1st round match later today - I think tonight, maybe 7pm Eastern? , but I'm not sure, so check the schedule of play online to be certain if you plan to watch that. My memory will not suffice.
;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 03:28:26 PM by baziunc »

baziunc

« Reply #7128 on: August 26, 2024, 02:27:44 PM »

Clynn,

WORD!! on your poster.  :) :-*

LOL on your kitty pics!  :D  :-*

baziunc

« Reply #7129 on: August 26, 2024, 02:32:21 PM »

Royal Albatross ~ LGK Returns to Feed TF! 🐥 TFT Does A Skycall 🐥 ♫ 8.24.24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHqOHCLnhGg

Aug 24, 2024  #TAIAROA #royalcam #albatross
TF is a lucky chick! After getting a feeding earlier in the morning from LGL, now he sees Dad LGK arrive home! TF runs to meet Dad wheeing & begging for his squid special! LGK feeds his chick with some good mouthfuls ♥ When LGK is finished he heads to the left and walks just past TFT. He stops and quite unexpectedly - TFT does a skycall for him at 07:38 . That was sweet to see and hear! LGK then departs over the sea - TF is on his nest and TFT does some wing exercises.

The video does have some lags and skips in it - I tried to take out as many as I could. Thank you for watching!

Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk

TF  :-*

TFT Skycall!  :-*
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/722f731b49e7257541012aad3d93122cf9f370b9b1e5e8044cb357785c490d9c.png?w=800&h=493

Lani, I just love this! Thank you for sharing.  :) :-* :-* :-*

baziunc

« Reply #7130 on: August 26, 2024, 02:42:48 PM »

8/24 If you were wondering when Iris might migrate, here's her history. (We don't know exactly when she leaves. We can only say when we last saw her.) We have a few more weeks with the Queen of Hellgate and our hearts.  #HellgateOsprey

8/24/ Finn delivers fish to Antali - Posted on Hellgate cam

https://x.com/i/status/1827381822151385464

Handsome Antali, look at his intense brown eyes and light color chest feathers. His chest feathers are the lightest in the family.

Antali, gorgeous intense boy  :-* 

Beautiful Iris with her speckled green eyes

Here you see Finn's gorgeous green eyes... Finn flew in with a second fish. To start Antali defended the fish he had, even made a threat move on Finn.  Then saw the new fish and took it.  Note Finn lifts his foot away before A can take it- in protective defense maybe? ... all these actions are to build Antali's offensive and defensive instincts for surviving on his own.  ;D

Sum-eh front note the brown eyes. Her eyes are just a tad lighter and she has lots dark feather chest necklace like Iris...  Antali back :-*

Lani, thanks!  :)  Great report, and I love these pics! It looks like Antali is taking after his dad, Finn, with those light chest feathers! I haven't said this here before, but I have the belief that Iris laid her 2nd egg very soon after copulating with Finn (which hatched to be Sum-eh),and after Finn got rid of her 1st egg this year, which Finn knew couldn't be from him, and I believe that Sum-eh is actually hatched from an egg fertilized by Louis, not Finn, though Finn doesn't know it, and there's no proof. (As we know, Osprey have the ability to store sperm for many days before it may fertilize an egg.) And I think that's why the longer-than-usual number of days between that egg being laid, and Iris's 3rd egg being laid this year, which hatched to be Antali, of course. What a great Osprey year it has been at the Hellgate nest this year!  :-* :-* :-*

baziunc

« Reply #7131 on: August 26, 2024, 03:13:03 PM »

A woodpecker preparing for winter starts by finding a dead tree and meticulously making holes to store acorns. Each hole is carefully crafted; if it's too large, other birds can easily steal the acorns, and if it's too small, the acorns can break and spoil. By the end of summer, the woodpecker's precise work is complete. The ripened acorns are placed in the holes, with a single large tree trunk capable of holding around 50,000 acorns, ensuring the bird has enough food for a satisfying winter

Clynn, WOW!! I would go nuts if I got to see that Woodpecker's tree full of acorns in person!!  :D :D :o  That's a real Wowie-Zowie!!   I just about went nuts on one of my neighborhood walks this past Spring when I came upon a tree that had 1, yes, just 1!! LOL, acorn stuffed into a space on the tree trunk.  ;D ;D  Oh, thanks for sharing the whole car story... that must've been a bit anxiety-producing to experience that on your trip!! Glad it didn't cause a problem for you completing that road trip, but I can certainly understand being a bit nervous about trusting it on the road again till you get a better feel for whatever is causing that to happen. I hope the other Ford place that's going to look at it can give you a better analysis - one you can trust! And I hope whatever work might be needed will be covered under warranty. Fingers crossed!!

baziunc

« Reply #7132 on: August 26, 2024, 03:25:47 PM »

Monday morning on Sloth TV  :-*

Lani, how sweet is that!! Great pic of the sloths!!  :-* :-* :-*  I'm catching up on a lot of posts, as you can tell.  ;) Thanks for the info on Louis's fledglings trying to take the Hellgate nest, and Antali successfully defending it! Yay! Hopefully, no birdie got hurt in that fray.  I took note of your post about that, but didn't mention it earlier. Iris and Finn have done a great job or raising Sum-eh and Antali! Yes! I too am already hoping they will both return to each other at Hellgate next year!! Talons crossed for all to make a safe and healthy migration "loop."  :-* :-*

baziunc

« Reply #7133 on: August 26, 2024, 03:47:17 PM »

Have a great afternoon, Beakers!!  :D :-*

I'm taking this advice today...  ;) ;D

Later, Gators!  :)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7134 on: August 26, 2024, 04:39:08 PM »

BAZI  I appreciate your update info on the US Open.  I will get the TV on at 6 PM  I haven't been home much today and will enjoy settling in to watch.  Interesting theory on Sum-eh pop! or "adopted pop"  LOL
Chicagoland

kbshcb

« Reply #7135 on: August 26, 2024, 06:21:27 PM »

Paul Douglas just posted this...a feels like 122.4!

Severe storms incoming.....golf ball size hail to my west.

oldguy

« Reply #7136 on: August 26, 2024, 07:44:42 PM »

KB - we were near your conditions - 80 dew point and 97 temps and mostly calm winds - I was planning to go do some errands, but decided that my chair was more comfortable...  ::)  Been watching the storms this afternoon as they headed your way.  Looks like you should be down to 70 soon.  We will still be 80 by midnight. :P

We will be almost as hot tomorrow.
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7137 on: August 26, 2024, 08:26:58 PM »

bounce

We survived the first round well... many noises and many colors, but no hail. Whew.

The color was quite striking at sunset.Pictures don't do it justice.

SED
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

kbshcb

« Reply #7138 on: August 26, 2024, 08:41:10 PM »

KB - we were near your conditions - 80 dew point and 97 temps and mostly calm winds - I was planning to go do some errands, but decided that my chair was more comfortable...  ::)  Been watching the storms this afternoon as they headed your way.  Looks like you should be down to 70 soon.  We will still be 80 by midnight. :P

We will be almost as hot tomorrow.

I need to find a stronger word than yukky!.. ::)
The only thing one can do is sit in the couch.

Luckily, though many lost power, downed trees etc. this time I lucked out!...I was totally prepared for device back ups and downstairs as our sirens went off....but nada other than wind/rain and still have power.

guess that's the trick: be totally prepared and nothing happens....not prepared and then you lose power.
Kind of like don't put that shovel away too early as then it always snows.

I have one gfci outlet inside my garage that won't reset..will need to call an electrician me thinks. won't stay pushed in and it powers my outdoor camera....boo. checked my fuse box downstairs and nothing looks tripped. Meanwhile I'll have to run an extension cord to a different working outlet.

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7139 on: August 26, 2024, 08:54:33 PM »

Lol KB... Yep, the weather looks good for our trip... So we are packing ponchos and umbrellas so it stays that way. Lol.

Hope the second wave finishes by 7 or 8. We are heading to the fairgrounds in the morning.
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)