Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 538077 times)

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #7095 on: August 25, 2024, 01:42:18 PM »

CLYNN  Very calm tones this Sunday AM  :)   I listened to part of the announcement about the astronauts yesterday.  That question came up and they noted they were keeping very busy with various experiments and maintenance of the station. What I wonder about is running out of food...I would not like to drive that distance without knowing more either about the engine light  :o :o  So your headlights don't go on??  That should be a clue and maybe what is causing the engine light issue.  Beautiful building art.  :o

TIG  Cool link! Esp about how far away to stay from elk/ bears etc. Hope that one road closure won't be an issue for you.

LANI   Great stills from the Royals  ;D   Beautiful shot of Antali.  What a pair of gorgeous birds.  Yikes, that was some very dramatic video at the nest.

PHYL  On our first camping trip aas a family we camped at Bluemounds 365 on our way to Mt Rushmore  ;) ;)
Chicagoland

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7096 on: August 25, 2024, 01:50:34 PM »

Thanx OldGuy...  Either they planned WAY ahead, or lucked out on a last minute cancellation at O F. A friend from the pool mentioned that had happened to them... Lucky. We have reservations at a quaint place in West Yellowstone, but plan to visit O F Inn for a look see. And lunch at Roosevelt Lodge dining another day.
We plan to head out thru N. Dakota to YNP,  then hit all the usual sites near and in S. Dakota on our way back.
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

oldguy

« Reply #7097 on: August 25, 2024, 02:10:40 PM »

Thanx OldGuy...  Either they planned WAY ahead, or lucked out on a last minute cancellation at O F. A friend from the pool mentioned that had happened to them... Lucky. We have reservations at a quaint place in West Yellowstone, but plan to visit O F Inn for a look see. And lunch at Roosevelt Lodge dining another day.
We plan to head out thru N. Dakota to YNP,  then hit all the usual sites near and in S. Dakota on our way back.

They have stayed at OF Lodge several times over the years - the last trip out there was at the time of the floods - they got a coupon for a future stay because of the lodge closure at that time and used that this year.  Reservations for the lodge need to be made 1 year in advance.  Their 2 sons (early 40s and single) did all of the trip planning and driving.  They worked on the plans details for at least 3 months.
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7098 on: August 25, 2024, 02:16:49 PM »

I C... Good for them!
I have them beat tho... Lol.... I began planning and discovered the park reservation requirements late last Fall. My first draft of itinerary and reservations were made in Feb. Google map routes searched for construction, etc. and reservations confirmed last week while recovering from knee injections.
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7099 on: August 25, 2024, 03:31:10 PM »

Bald eagle rescued in Missouri wasn't injured: It was too fat to fly https://www.livenowfox.com/news/bald-eagle-rescued-missouri-wasnt-injured-was-too-fat-fly

!!!  :o

karengramke

« Reply #7100 on: August 25, 2024, 03:51:13 PM »

Temps in the high 80’s and the humidity is 66% but with a breeze wafting in from the north it feels nice and warm outside today but it’s not too hot!
Tsk, tomorrow is day 3 after surgery’  so after that it should be smooth sailing for Tim!  Hope he continues to feel well!   You are having some heat!   Stay cool.

Clynn, thanks for the day trip snd pictures of the murals.. How does Bella like first grade?
Lani, I remember Charlie passing but someone asked if she got another dag and I thought something happened to Kona!  Thanks for all your reports!
Tig, you will do fine on your trip! Funny abbot the fat eagle. Going to read it now!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 06:47:22 PM by karengramke »

LisaG1967

« Reply #7101 on: August 25, 2024, 03:56:29 PM »

tig - Thanks for including that link.  Saved it!  Safe travels for you and Camper.  :)

Lani - My aunt use to make us donuts like that when we were kids, and sprinkle powered sugar on them.  Thanks for the Royal and Hellgate updates!

oldguy - That sounds like a great vacay for your friends!

Phyl - Jeff joked about the eye color when he first started taking the drops.  He was like, I hope one eye doesn't get lighter than the other.  Thanks for the 365.

tsk - Your patient doing OK?

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #7102 on: August 25, 2024, 05:17:28 PM »

Excerpts from:
Cornell Lab eNews
August 25, 2024

Late summer is an active time for birds and gardens. And it's a great time to be active in your own outdoor space, dreaming up ways to bring birds to you!

WATCH: Why Water Is the Secret Ingredient for Drawing Birds to Your Yard
Flutter, splash, ruffle, dip ... watching a bird bathe is sure to bring a smile to your face. Learn what kinds of water sources songbirds prefer, and how they use them. Plus peep in on a parade of birds acting cute in this fun, informative video from Bird Academy.

https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/provide-water-for-birds/?utm_campaign=Lab%20eNews%202024&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=321527051&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_0BjHQMUpG9jpDYkyyrTcJnaFDlcFy2QKzPs05igeQEHjLkTh9wF7-F5fTZZ_FyocLqUGumh8iAZhe5GmB_Wj6OwH6j4wJoWqsILp1UXlXJ8r4rIU

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/attract-birds-gardening-native-plants-insects/?utm_campaign=Lab%20eNews%202024&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=321527051&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_0BjHQMUpG9jpDYkyyrTcJnaFDlcFy2QKzPs05igeQEHjLkTh9wF7-F5fTZZ_FyocLqUGumh8iAZhe5GmB_Wj6OwH6j4wJoWqsILp1UXlXJ8r4rIU
Birds Need Native Plants: Here's How to Help
August means gardens are at their most exquisite. And when a garden is planted in concert with the surrounding natural ecology, it helps life thrive. If you're ready to bring more garden glory (and birds) into outdoor spaces, we've got some starter tips and suggestions. With autumn right around the corner, it's a great time for planting and planning. 

Black Birders Week:https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/at-events-like-ours-five-years-of-black-birders-week/?utm_campaign=Lab%20eNews%202024&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=321527051&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_0BjHQMUpG9jpDYkyyrTcJnaFDlcFy2QKzPs05igeQEHjLkTh9wF7-F5fTZZ_FyocLqUGumh8iAZhe5GmB_Wj6OwH6j4wJoWqsILp1UXlXJ8r4rIU

Reopening Celebration:

Webnars Schedule: https://birdsoftheworld.org/bow/news/bow-discovery-webinars-schedule?utm_campaign=Lab%20eNews%202024&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=321527051&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_0BjHQMUpG9jpDYkyyrTcJnaFDlcFy2QKzPs05igeQEHjLkTh9wF7-F5fTZZ_FyocLqUGumh8iAZhe5GmB_Wj6OwH6j4wJoWqsILp1UXlXJ8r4rIU

Birding Festivals:https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/birding-festivals/?utm_campaign=Lab%20eNews%202024&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=321527051&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-_0BjHQMUpG9jpDYkyyrTcJnaFDlcFy2QKzPs05igeQEHjLkTh9wF7-F5fTZZ_FyocLqUGumh8iAZhe5GmB_Wj6OwH6j4wJoWqsILp1UXlXJ8r4rIU

Survey:https://cornell.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3VugEfhEwq2zsh0?utm_campaign=IMT%20lab-wide%20enews%20feedback%20survey&utm_source=lab_enews&utm_medium=email&utm_content=enews

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

« Reply #7103 on: August 25, 2024, 05:27:46 PM »

Lani Your doughnuts  'jpg'  remind me of----As a family we made raised or yeast doughnuts. Mom would fold and punch down the dough over the course of 3 days each night leave it to 'rest' in a larger Tupperware mixing bowl covered w/ waxed paper. In the Am she'd find it sprawled all over the kitchen counter. Friday night she and Dad would cut out the doughnuts and their holes place them on 3 larger cookie sheets,cover and allow to raise. Then on a Saturday after lunch she'd uncover and Dad would deep fry in a Dutch Oven until 'perfectly golden' and drain.
When cooled us kids would glaze---Larry and  Dan the doughnuts and little me would do the 'holes'. That night Mom would set out
a dozen for us. A dozen was given to our two close neighbors.
 The receipt was closely guarded. ;)   And, yes I have it. Jim and I've made them for us on occasion. Mom's doughnuts would rival  today's Krispy Kreme !! Thanks for the memories.  :-*

Tsk your family '365' vaca sounds like loads of fun. I love car trips! We, on one such,  traveled the entire length of Route 66 going and coming. Sang the famous song  along the way. LOL

Interesting  BE rescue.

Sauces bald eagle cam

Phyl

« Reply #7104 on: August 25, 2024, 05:28:38 PM »

An early Good Night Everyone... sleep well. 

Sauces bald eagle cam

Puff

« Reply #7105 on: August 25, 2024, 06:04:51 PM »

Phyl  Big plans for R66 coming up soon - - - 100 years in 2026.  Odds are it will be quite busy going and coming. 

Mentioned it before but here I go again   ::)  I live about 1/2 mile from the original 66 route.  I55 runs along the same path, sometimes on top of the old road.  Big celebration being set up is what we hear from DuPage county.

P

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #7106 on: August 25, 2024, 06:08:51 PM »

TIG   We are going to see some spectacular pics when when you get back!!  You are very well organized.  When I traveled with my friend for many years she always left the planning to me as I loved to do it.  Those were the days before computers and you just had AAA to rely on for your Trip Tik!!  - and actual phone calls to make B&B reservations.  LOL    Funny about the eagle whose eyes were bigger than its stomach   ::) ::)

KAREN   He did much better today.   Walked in the house 3 times for 20-25 minutes, worked on some stuff at his desk ( our kitchen table) and ate 3 heart healthy meals I prepared.  He was trapped  LOL   Took several naps as well. 

LISA   I could only laugh out loud as Jeff was wondering if one eye would be lighter than the other.  I thought of the huskie that Barb and Tom had for many years with 1 blue eye and one brown   ;D  He can be grateful that won't happen.  Patient is doing much better than yesterday - Biggest problem is up and down from his recliner even tho he has a power lift which he is trying not to use.  Trying his hardest to take less Norco and doing pretty good with that.  Just puts him right to sleep.

PHYL  Some very good links to read.  Great donut memories!   Now that needs to go in the history books about traveling the entire  route 66 x2.  That was the only way back in the 60s that we got out to the Grand Canyon for a 3 week family camping trip.

PUFF   Didn't know that about I55 and Rte 66
Chicagoland

oldguy

« Reply #7107 on: August 25, 2024, 08:23:31 PM »

Hello Beakers

An informative video from Iceland on the volcano stats...
Iceland Volcano Updates   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMn_o4cW5_Q
And a hike with Roman to view the activity...
Two Lava Fontains erupting now   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H9ABnrkPQc

Video tour of Hilo after the rains.
Hurricane Hone Aftermath at Rainbow Falls, Big Island of Hawaii August 25, 2024   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KgrqGTtNOU

KB/Tig - keep up to date on the weather for Monday - this was posted around 5pm today...
The Biggest Storm Of August Is Coming.   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AmfU5RFRr0
SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

Puff

« Reply #7108 on: August 25, 2024, 08:56:28 PM »

I like to say "been there, done that"  but not this time OG.

I know that Lani can say she's seen rain in Hawaii- I've been to the islands at least 12 times, and never once had an umbrella.  I've seen Rainbow Falls a couple times - last time took me forever to hike that path (no doubt won't be doing that again).  But such a change; looked more like Muddy Water Falls, not a rainbow to be seen.  Don't think you could hear yourself think with the roar of the rush.  Wonder who the person was who taped that ride in the rain.

I didn't hear anything as bad on the other islands.  By the lack of reports it only skimmed Hawaii Island.  Maybe they'll be putting some moisture numbers out later.

P     

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #7109 on: August 25, 2024, 10:36:56 PM »

Parents and I were in Hawaii March of 1972. We were on a tour of 4 islands. A storm came through the night before we were to leave. The airport was flooded. The tour company left us flat. A group of various stranded tourists designated a couple of people to go to the airport to get tickets for the group. Eventually about 2 dozen of us flew out on a 747.

SED

80 degrees but feels like 87 at 10:30 p.m.  :-[