Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2024  (Read 310480 times)

oldguy

Re: Beak Room 2024
« Reply #5820 on: June 30, 2024, 01:26:15 PM »

Hello Beakers

Did some research on 'Cuties' and 'Halos'...  The names are trademarks by 2 different companies - both use the same citrus, tangerine and clementine (which are sub-members of the murcott mandarin orange - Citrus reticulata).  The difference between tangerine and clementine is the time of year that they are ripe.  Both companies harvest in Florida and both use the same tangerine/clementine fruit, but are grown in different counties of Florida.  Location can effect taste, just like grapes - because of soil and weather conditions.

There are many veggies that I will not eat - including broccoli, cauliflower but cabbage and spinach I like raw.   Onion, only cooked.... ::)

No cards last night - we had  a large family meal at our favorite Mexican restaurant to celebrate 2 birthdays in the family.

Great day today weather wise - high of 74 and sunny - next rain is not until Tuesday early morning.

The latest info on Beryl   -   https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at2.shtml?start#contents
current track keeps it away from the US

I don't know if anyone on here has kept in touch with Peepspy, to know if she still reads the forum.  But job situation, does not look good for her - Stellantis announced that they are moving engineering and manufacturing out of the US.

Cats and Broken tree branch   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjF3BozFhw8

SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

LisaG1967

« Reply #5821 on: June 30, 2024, 01:47:46 PM »

Happy Birthday, Peep!

Lori - The Strawberry Lemonade Sheet Cake looks cool and refreshing!

karen - Jeff could eat off the grill every day, me - I need a break sometimes.

Phyl - The frozen Brussels are more of a favorite of mine then the fresh.   I like to boil them till they are soft, then drain and add some butter, S & P, and garlic powder to them.

tsk - Why did you cover your  black eyed susan's and two tomato plants?  Was something eating them?

Lani - Pickled Brussel sprouts, interesting!  I loved pickled okra, especially the spicy kind!
Yikes, now I see why you do your own firewising and clean-up!

oldguy - That is interesting about the cuties and halo.  Never thought about the soil affecting the taste.

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #5822 on: June 30, 2024, 02:08:58 PM »

HAPPY DAY, BEAKERS!  :)

I like every kind of orange, tangerine, mandarin, clementine, etc., I have ever been able to try. Yum! We have those "Cuties" and "Halos" in most of the grocery stores around here, when they're in season.

I wasn't sure about the difference between tangerines vs. Mandarin oranges, so I had to do a quick google/look-up, Wow! I didn't know what I found out about them!

But here's their specific info re. Tangerines, Mandarins, and Clementines, etc. :

https://veritablevegetable.com/tangerines-clementines-mandarins-whats-the-difference/

Interesting!!   :D

It's part of the Veritable Vegetable's blog, at their website, with more good info about categories of fruits and veggies at:
https://veritablevegetable.com/blog/

Clynn, I haven't been watching any tennis yet. Wimbledon starts tomorrow, and I will be watching some matches starting tomorrow. Qualifying rounds are being played this weekend, but I don't watch any of those. Aww... thanks for the great cam shots from Decorah North and Hellgate. They are all looking great!!   :-* :-*

Tig, I don't watch Le Tour anymore. Armstrong, and many others, ruined it for me. Coco Gauff plays her 1st round Wimbledon match tomorrow, on Center Court, estimated time around 11:45 AM, Eastern time. Maybe you can set your DVR to record so you can get some sleep. I think it's on ESPN, but check to be sure.

((Lani)), you are working sooo hard!! I hope you use some of the major money you saved by doing it yourself, and at least treat yourself to a Spa Day!! My town's dump works much the same way as yours. At mine, the price per pound depends on the type of material being dumped.

Lisa, Jeff eats a lot of Brussels sprouts! He's a Grill Master! I eat them often, but not every day. LOL.

(((TSK))), you do good stuff!!  :-* :)

Karen, I would never have guessed that Piper would eat citrus fruit! Is there any food Piper doesn't like?

Lori, that strawberry and lemon concoction looks and sounds divine!

My Rx for (((Puff))) today... HUGS!  :-*  Pass 'em around! :D  I know you do!!  ;) :D

Waving to All the Beakers! Stay cool!!

P.S. Hurricane Beryl strengthened to a Cat 4 storm this morning, in the Major Hurricane strength category.
Here's a report on Hurr. Beryl from a little while ago, with links for more info on that page. Updates typically happen at around 3-hour intervals, or sooner with big updates, changes, or when nearing landfall:
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/174331.shtml?key_messages#contents

Hurricane categories:
https://rmp.nc.gov/LCF/Publications/AL_Resources/Hurricane/Hurricane%20Categories.pdf
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 02:26:15 PM by baziunc »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #5823 on: June 30, 2024, 02:11:22 PM »

OOPS! While I was composing and posting just now, I see that Oldguy has just posted, also, on some of the same topics I did! More info to go around! LOL!   ;)  Thanks, Oldguy!! :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #5824 on: June 30, 2024, 02:29:53 PM »

some bounce
Tired... Spent an hour on yard werk and another hour harvesting fruit. Great weather... 68 and low humidity!
I guess we have it good here .. we take our yard waste to the county site... for free.
I'm reading Tom Selleck's memoir...
TTFN
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Puff

« Reply #5825 on: June 30, 2024, 02:56:16 PM »

New refuge company last year, maybe two years.  Given two trash containers, one for recycle, one for regular land fill.  And, since I'm ancient, a reduced rate.  Monthly fee for 3 months - $31.50.  I'm also allowed one big size whatever per week, no charge for most.  Haven't been charged for anything yet.  Last week it was my wounded patio storm door.  They do yard waste for free May to November if in a paper waste yard bag.  City crew does a tree waste drive for free 3 times a year, with size/weight restrictions.  (Also emergency collections when we have a severe storm event.)  No complaints at all on my end.  Listening some of y'all rules makes makes me grateful.  Plus, I think I mentioned this before, I get extra service because my guy once noticed me rolling the empty container back up the drive with my friend Stick.  Now the two containers get chauffeured back up to the garage door.  Much appreciated, noticed.  Forgot, new company is LRS.

P     

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #5826 on: June 30, 2024, 04:03:31 PM »

LANI  What a sweetie greeting us this AM  ;D   Wow, thanks for that thorough explanation.  Can get pretty pricey to get the job done by someone else.  I would probably do the same until I could no longer...You sure are saving a lot!

OLDGUY   Thanks for the extended explanation of today's topic LOL  ;) ;)  Cards anytime - B-day parties once a year!!   Beryl is pretty far south.  Hope it calms down some or those islands are in for some big time trouble.   Thanks for info on Peeps possible loss of a job.
You have a good memory!   Miri is quite the climber  ;D

LISA    Yes 2 years ago the deer ate all the blossoms on our tomato plants.  Last year we moved the location of the plants and were OK  But this year I decided to cover them just to be sure.  They also love black eyed susans before the flower buds appear - They just eat the growing plant to the ground  :P :P  So I covered them - One bunch anyway - and it worked.  They have eaten some hosta as well but that doesn't bother me as I have a lot of it LOL

BAZI   Thanks for your additional info on the topic of the day  ;D ;D  Mandarins are the major category - good to know.  I love the clementine variety of a mandarin.  I think I've said that right  LOL

TIG  I'm reading Erik Larson's new one - "The Demon of Unrest" Fascinating " how did the Civil War actually begin"

PUFF    If you put anything out to the curb - the night before,  the scavengers come around with their truck and grab up metals and other items like that which they can get paid to recycle before the regular garbage/recycle trucks come.. 

Is T40 still out there???
Chicagoland

karengramke

« Reply #5827 on: June 30, 2024, 05:51:06 PM »

A last word on the topic of the day, though e first harvested , marketed and trademarked  of these fruits were Cuties!  As I was reading, this morning, it appears there might have been a business divorcee and  hence a new company was formed and the name halo coined and patented! The  other point made is that these fruits  are not oranges!  All citrus but that is where it ends!  Lol

Interesting trash stories!

Seds!   Oh, Piper  has never refused any food although there are things she cannot have!  Eats dry kibble with gusto as well!    Lori, thanks for  remembering my  sweet sassy!   Piper is an interesting  girl!   Pets to .destiny!

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #5828 on: June 30, 2024, 07:29:39 PM »

Here's to being caught up on posts... :-\

Lisa pretty peonies this AM

Karen thinking of you and your 'Sassy today especially'; pets/kisses to Piper

Lani your canine gent is one dapper  looking fella;  many thanks for the fire map, a valuable piece of resource material; the only way I'll eat cabbage is as Bavarian Sauerkraut on a Reuben or on a
bratwurst in a bun w/ Grey Poupon Dijon mustard smeared on the bun and some munster on top.

OG how nice---family gettogether at a fave Mexican restaurant  ;)

{{{TIG}}} Tom Selleck's memoir-bet that's interesting

Puff just got our bill from Waste Management--$109 3 mos.  and no reduction in rate for Seniors. WM has the entire refuse business
sewn up out here.

T40  " phone home"

RIP--mandarins, trademarks, etc.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 07:33:34 PM by Phyl »
"Every new day begins with possibilities."
President Ronald Reagan  at  the 1985 Geneva Summit

#Istandwith Evan

Phyl

« Reply #5829 on: June 30, 2024, 07:41:42 PM »

Prayers on going for those in  Hurricane  Beryl's path

Good Night Everyone...    sleep well.

#Istandwith Evan

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #5830 on: Yesterday at 12:29:34 AM »

Lisa, I love spicy pickled Okra it's the only way I'll eat it. My late MIL loved cooking okra, but it was slimy.  :-X

Oldguy, that's interesting about the difference between Cutie and Halo.... {{{Maru, Hana and Miri}}} ... thanks for update on Beryl.

Baz, thanks for the link to the various fruit. I see Cara Cara orange on there, and it is absolutely delicious. I wish they would be available more often... love the cool dog... thanks for the Beryl update... Wimbledon is finally here.

Tig, Tom Selleck ;D

Tsk, I just read an excerpt of the book. I think Mike might like it too.

Puff, When we lived in Scottsdale, if we put out our green recycle bin, overnight there were trucks going through the neighborhood ready to go through the bins before pickup.

:-*

Phyl, yes, on your Reuben. YUM!

Good night!

Prayers for all in the path of hurricane Beryl.

Sweet Eagle Dreams, Lilbro, Eagles, Pink, Eaglesrock, Baz, Lori, Karen, Puff, Tsk, Oldguy, Lisa, Clynn, Kb, Tig, Blschue, Phyl, BL and Pip, Godiva, Peep, Jaspurr, Ezee, Eburg, Lindy, RubyRed246, ssrl, Firetruck, Weasel, Jilltosa, Maxie, Masswatch, Paulie, DeborahG, MpMom and Pete, laniebelle, OnEagleWings, NWarg, Garmohoff, Nrstooge, WendyC3, Tigeag, T40, Ginger, Cwellsla, Nanimal, Bggolden, Nora, Rewrap4u, Teamcarnes, Seabeeinch, Walton, Sparky, Tulsaducati, Omasawyer, izzysamlikeseagles, bustopbird, Neva, Yank, Linda.L, smrf, nhJane.

Thinking of and missing, Peep, Jaspurr, Jilltosa, Wilson, Godiva, MpMom and Pete, Marrymo, Keystone, TxTeacher, Smb, Naimoj, Thyla/Anne, D7Birder, Indy, Neva, Smb, Alice, and those who have not been with us for a while.

Prayers For Clynn's Aunt June, Linda and Mom, Clynn and Ed, Lisa, Jeff and Family, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Tsk/Tim's cousin Joe, Lori, grandmothers and family, Baz, Eaglesrock, Eagles Mom, Tsk's bro and wife Margaret, Karen and Piper, Lisa's FIL, Puff, Tig, Tsk and Tim, Lisa's Jeff, Kb's friends Vi and Dennis, Paulie, Tsk's DIL Amy, SIL and grandson, Jicaji, Maxie and Larry, Camper's daughter, Ed's sis Gina, Tsk's Barb & Tom, Baz great niece and family, Peep, Jaspurr, Clynn's DIL's mom, Ed's friend Greg, Puff's brother, Masswatch hubby Jamey, Pip's Dad, Ezee, EagleFanDave, Tim's Uncle, Paulie's granddaughter Madison, Emy and family, WW JW, Keystone, Jilltosa, Eaglesrock cousin Michael, Thyla/Anne, Neva's family, Weasel and family, and All here in need of healing and comforting.

Special Prayers For Lisa, Jeff and Family, Clynn, Tim and Tsk, Eagle's Mom, Tsk's DIL Amy, Baz, Puff, Phyl, Jim and Maggie, Karen, Blschue and family, Lori and family, Phyl's BIL Danny and brother Dan.

Special prayers for All God's creature great and small, For Denton eaglets and nest, Trempealeau Eagles’ Nest, Tiny Tammy and Paws of War, Harley and his little siblings, Miss Maggie, Hellgate Iris, TRR Sloths, Brooks Fall Brown Bear Otis, Honey and Gunnar, SWFL Harriet, Star, Little One and all the Feral cats, TRR rescue babies, The Fairy Penguins, Berry Mom,  NEFL Juliet, Romeo and Samson, Lucy and Larry, Salt River wild horses, Alaska Bears and Wolves that they be saved, Decorah, E2/D1, Dr Rogers and Black bears Shadow and family and Wildlife Research Institute, and All God's creatures great and small.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

Puff

« Reply #5831 on: Yesterday at 06:10:48 AM »

I have been following the talks on citrus.  Lani My vote too for Cara Cara.  Only eat them when in season.  Two must haves - orange and banana daily.  But I flow with the season.  Right now there are some delicious nectarines on the table.  Not a fan of the tiny oranges.  They are good, but the prices, even on sale, are not attractive. 

A reminder I believe I mentioned a few months back. . .local Jewel produce manager gave me the dope on bananas and plastic.  Whenever I leave the store my bananas for the week +  are cozy wrapped in their plastic produce bags.  Tried a couple "tricks" on keeping them ripe, not brown or soft  or cold. The very best from this daily banana fan - I grab an extra plastic bag and put it in purse just to keep my nanas.  Just don't lay the bag in the sun, take out some of the air, make certain the top of the bunch is definitely enclosed.  Holds in some kind of gas.  I buy up to 10 at a time, especially when on special $.

Notice when they're stocking bins that they are shipped to stores in plastic bag inside the boxes! ?
Another cute discovery is that some stores have little chef hats individually on the top of each bananas   ::).  High priced too - just saying high end groceries.

P       
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:14:32 AM by Puff »

Phyl

« Reply #5832 on: Yesterday at 06:15:07 AM »

Good Morning Everyone...Happy Monday !

Currently: 67F  sunny , High  84F   sunny,  with  Low 62F

It's all about the cats...big, small and in between

Lani last night's passed out pooch-- Oh no.

OG tks for info on Peeps just read several articles on Stellantis --nope not good  :(

Puff  :)

Prayers for:  The Beakroom and Cheers.; Our friend and ally the Nation of Israel and peace for her people. 
 'Little Gray' and 'Little One' ...All abandoned, abused , lost cats ... stray, unloved, homeless stray and feral cats;
The Bluebirds of Cane Ridge, Tennessee, Hummingbirds, Bumble Bees  and Honey bees everywhere .

#Istandwith Evan

Phyl

« Reply #5833 on: Yesterday at 06:29:08 AM »

Just now paid a visit to the Decorah North nest and found both DN17 and DN18 perched sunning themselves
Camera Time: Jul 1, 2024 6:25 AM CDT

#Istandwith Evan

Phyl

« Reply #5834 on: Yesterday at 06:32:53 AM »

Decorah North: Adventures Continues (explore.org 06 19 2024)
Thanks   Lizzy Eaglespirit

06 19 2024
Adventures Continues, DN17 and DN18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0ldM0oTGXA&t=34s

#Istandwith Evan