Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2024  (Read 71054 times)

STLbf

Re: Decorah North Eagles 2024
« Reply #450 on: July 25, 2024, 12:04:33 PM »

MrN in the Claw Tree this morning about 7:00 and for an hour or so after.  And, could it be DN18 in the BPT at the same time?  Not for long, and flew away to the south.  Not seen again on rewind as of noon.

Nice closeup of a red-headed woodpecker, briefly on the Yonder snag about 8:30.

STLbf

« Reply #451 on: July 25, 2024, 03:54:41 PM »

About 3:00 PM, cam ops found mourning doves feeding on one of the old dead logs near the old nest.
About 3:10, one of the North parents flew from the Twiggy Tree to the creek and returned with an old carcass, guessing raccoon. I think it's MrN, and he ate the whole thing before flying away, while another BE perched above and to the right, DNF, I think.

STLbf

« Reply #452 on: July 26, 2024, 04:11:35 PM »

Cam ops found a beautiful parade of little birds early this morning.  And DNF perching on DN12's limb.

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #453 on: July 26, 2024, 08:04:31 PM »

Lovely day and lovely pics, STL!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

STLbf

« Reply #454 on: July 31, 2024, 02:52:09 PM »

Sorry for no pic postings over the past few days.  I was in hospital being treated for pneumonia!  I'm better enough to be back home and enjoyed a rapid review of the rerun for today.  Cameras are shutting down on AUG 2, so Ill try to find something pretty to post that will hold us over until they go back on, probably in October.  Contibutions from other watchers definitely welcome, too.   I'm anxious to hear about plans for what happens next on the last chat this Friday.    ;)

Linda M

« Reply #455 on: July 31, 2024, 06:40:25 PM »

Sorry to hear you've been so sick, STL.  I'm glad you're home and hope you have a good recovery.

Puff

« Reply #456 on: August 02, 2024, 06:54:56 AM »

NN17 or NN18  sitting pretty this am at the prairie.

HD back at his post, again.

L

STLbf

« Reply #457 on: August 02, 2024, 03:10:55 PM »

Whoopie, both DN17 and DN18 made a visit to the creek trees early this morning.  Not sure which is which, but still, isn't it great to see them one more time before the cameras get turned off?  The cattle made their way across the pasture also, but I'm posting the red cow and a friend passing the Claw Tree.  DNF and MrN weren't in view so far.

It has been such a privilege to post pics of the North family this season, and all the going's on like the nest falling.  Thank you to the camera operators and to everyone at RRP, and to the other watchers who comment and post pics and just enjoy.    We can continue conversation and pics here on the Forum while the cameras are down.  And see you in October!

At the final DNN chat, the experts say the juvies that visited this morning are NOT our DN17 & 18.  Ah well, enjoy the pics anyhow.   ::)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2024, 04:13:09 PM by STLbf »

nanimal

« Reply #458 on: August 02, 2024, 05:29:21 PM »

So sorry to read about your pneumonia and hospitalization, STL but I'm very glad that you're recuperating at home now. You've been steady and generous with your many posts here, and I've enjoyed them all. Thanks also to the cam operators, RRP, and others who've contributed throughout the season. It'll be interesting to see where Mr. North and DNF build their new nest - fingers crossed!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston

STLbf

« Reply #459 on: August 03, 2024, 04:21:09 PM »

Nanimal, thanks for the "getting well" words.  Working on it.  On the final chat session for DNN yesterday, Amy described the plan for a new nest.  RRP is going to build it on top of the same tree trunk where the old one fell!  Apparently, the trunk is really tall, alive, and strong enough to hold a base made of metal beams, kind of like N2B and N1.   Watch for a blog and other information from RRP in the weeks to come.

Here's a plus for us watchers and picture takers -- we won't have to name a whole bunch of new trees!  I hope they also add a camera with even longer range for better views across the creek, or camera closer to the creek.

nanimal

« Reply #460 on: August 03, 2024, 06:32:58 PM »

That is great news from RRP about the nest plans, STL! Hope you keep feeling better and stronger!

Arcadia

« Reply #461 on: August 06, 2024, 08:34:02 AM »

I missed that you were ill, STL. I hope that by now you are feeling much better.
Thanks to all who provided the pictures and commentary. I have had such a good time reading them all.

LisaG1967

« Reply #462 on: August 16, 2024, 02:24:27 PM »

This afternoon about 3+hrs ago on rewind, DNN went live, and RRP let us have a peek at the nest rebuilt.  Very interesting to see.  Hope DNF & Mr. North like their new nest!

STLbf

« Reply #463 on: August 16, 2024, 02:43:34 PM »

Lisa, thanks for the heads up for rebuild video.  And pics.  I will have a look, and I'm sure RRP will post something on their main website soon.

Puff

« Reply #464 on: August 16, 2024, 06:46:41 PM »

Great to see the hard work - eases many minds.  Does that make it NNR?  North Nest Redux?

See you're using new equipment.  The bucket has to be better than that climb.  Great to have the pics!

Have you seen our pair flying around the neighborhood?

P