Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2024  (Read 74813 times)

STLbf

Re: Decorah North Eagles 2024
« Reply #330 on: June 12, 2024, 05:41:18 PM »

Ginger, of course this year's eaglets are special!  Thanks for clarification of the tree numbers.  I have difficulty reading the labels on that map.

As of 5:30, they are perched near the nest.  I expect that they will stay there for tonight.  The night pic below is from last night, well almost dawn this morning.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #331 on: June 12, 2024, 05:57:08 PM »

In case anyone missed it, here's a video from Lizzy G Eaglespirit of DN17s fludge.

https://youtu.be/E8UpEV3uA7Q?si=8cvITnZBycIdQKPp

STLbf

« Reply #332 on: June 13, 2024, 10:52:19 AM »

Eaglets did overnight on Ladder Branches, and I didn't see DNF or MrN during the dark.  Just barely light, DNF brought a large fish which DN18 got first, then DN17 took it over without a fight.  After some flying around and perching and preening, both eaglets ended up perching in the Brush Pile Tree by about 10:00 this morning.

STLbf

« Reply #333 on: June 14, 2024, 11:22:09 AM »

Couple pics from this morning.

STLbf

« Reply #334 on: June 14, 2024, 05:08:09 PM »

Late this afternoon, the eaglets were at the nest picking at leftovers.  MrN landed on the Ladder Branch and the eaglets mantled and squeed, but for nothing.  A blue jay perched above MrN (and another one if you watch the rewind for a minute more) before he and they flew away.  DN17 closeup picking at deer legs.

STLbf

« Reply #335 on: June 15, 2024, 11:25:29 AM »

Eaglets spent the night on the Perching Branches.  Didn't see the parents overnight.
DN18 took off about @5:30AM and did a lovely fly-around along the creek, landing on a large horizontal branch, not sure which tree.
DN17 then flew to the creek and both perched in the BPT.  DNF landed with them, everybirdie calling, but one eaglet departed for the nest, followed by the other.  Blue jays are objecting to the eaglets on and near the nest.  Fearless protectors of their territory and young!

STLbf

« Reply #336 on: June 15, 2024, 05:33:07 PM »

Cam ops caught MrN and DNF perched together in the BPT about 7:30 this morning.  They must be so proud!
The eaglets are practicing their flying skills in the area and aren't we glad they are sticking around for a while?

ABout 3:30, they were exploring the Brush Pile while DNF (I think) watched from the BPT. She brought a large raccoon carcass to the nest about 3:45, and DN18 came first to claim it.  There was a tug of war over the carcass that made a funny pic and video.

eburgbirdwtchr

• Hatchery nest visitor since 2007
« Reply #337 on: June 16, 2024, 08:30:18 AM »

Wow!  Nest collapse.  :( :( :( :o
Use the talents you possess: for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best.
Iowa Lakes Region, western North Central Iowa

Puff

« Reply #338 on: June 16, 2024, 10:03:56 AM »

Still no one here Eburg. Can't see anyone watching and posting.  No one on ground or manning the cams.
I've been on since about  6:30.  Happened just like that!  Now see one of the little guys hidden by a branch in another tree, being bombed by jay?

I've got to get out and do somethings before it gets too horrid.  I hope to hear more about noon.

At least open up chat among the mods - just saying?

P

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #339 on: June 16, 2024, 10:19:48 AM »

Posted by GABear at 9:21 a.m. (nest fell at about 8:30 a.m.)

"The end of 8 wonderful years of viewing a nest in this tree. 😢 The nest side of the tree has been slowly dying for some years. In recent weeks, the nest was seen to be tilting more and lots of loud cracks were heard. This morning the branch gave out and the nest fell. Both eaglets were seen to fly, but I'm not sure we've had eyes on both yet. One is in the tree in front of the nest."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyjiLw5_LvA&t=1s

DN17 was the one GABear said was in the tree in front.  DN18 was on the ground and hadn't yet taken off but when taking short flights and flapping wings, looked ok.  Mr. North and DNF have been perched on the BPT.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 10:30:56 AM by Ginger52 »

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #340 on: June 16, 2024, 10:33:10 AM »

Ohhhh, so difficult to watch that video! :( Hoping both eaglets are uninjured!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

pelmomma

• ChatMods
« Reply #341 on: June 16, 2024, 10:47:47 AM »

Good morning, folks.

We will be opening a flash chat as soon as we have the needed number of moderators.  As you can see, the camera operators have located on eaglet on the ground.
Please encourage your friends to switch away from lead when they hunt and fish.

https://www.raptorresource.org/learning-tools/hunt-and-fish-lead-free/

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #342 on: June 16, 2024, 11:54:11 AM »

Ohhhh, so difficult to watch that video! :( Hoping both eaglets are uninjured!
  Watching that it looked like both were in good spots and took off ok.  I checked the live cam a few minutes ago and both were looking for it.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFuWYnuu9I8

LisaG1967

« Reply #343 on: June 16, 2024, 12:19:25 PM »

RRP posted this a bit ago on their Facebook page regarding the nest.

Raptor Resource Project

We are sad to report that the Decorah North nest came down this morning after heavy rain added weight to the nest tree branches.  The nest tree support branches had been deteriorating and it was just a matter of time before something happened. 

We are thankful that DN17 and DN18 both survived and, although it looked like DN18 (perched to the right), could have been in the mix of branches coming down, DN18 is looking good, navigating through the wet grass and being discovered by cattle.  DN17 remained in the air through the event and is also looking good.  We hope for a normal post-fledge development stage in the coming weeks for DN17 and DN18.  We will be monitoring them by camera and boots on the ground as necessary.

It is too soon to tell what our plan is for any nest work since the tree is in the slow process of dying.  We will be developing a plan in the coming weeks.  Until then, we are looking forward to some extended time with Mr. North, DNF, and our two precious eaglets!

Arcadia

« Reply #344 on: June 16, 2024, 12:36:33 PM »

Thanks everyone and RRP for informing us of the nest and of the eaglets' safety. Greatly appreciated.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 32   Go Up