Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2024  (Read 74921 times)

STLbf

Re: Decorah North Eagles 2024
« Reply #300 on: June 05, 2024, 10:43:14 AM »

Updates will come fast and furious now that the eaglets are more mobile!

DNF spent the night on the Ladder Branch and the eaglets mostly sleep standing up now.  DN17 is spending most of the time on the Ladder Branch, but not sharing it with DNF or MrN.  DN18 likes the patio, and DN17 hopped down there for a short while, too.

Ginger52

• E Central IA
« Reply #301 on: June 05, 2024, 01:31:08 PM »

DN17 didn't move from the Ladder Branch to the nest last night until after dark.  He finally left when the wind came up and it started raining.  DNF had to perch on the Babysitting Branch until DN17 vacated the Ladder.  Just after the cam went to black and white, an owl flew past DN17 -- behind him.  It was still light enough to see it clearly.  I think it hit DNF later on at least once but could have been more since the livestream was off for a number of hours.  The night before last it scored several hits and a bunch of passes.

STLbf

« Reply #302 on: June 05, 2024, 04:56:54 PM »

Thanks for the nighttime details, Ginger!  We can be thankful that the eaglets are big enough that the owls can't just pick them off like candy!

I imagine that perching close to another bird on a branch presents challenges for balance and so on. That will come with practice.  It's such a fun education to watch the eaglets learn to be eagles.  Also to see how MrN and DNF care for them in different ways at different ages.  Like now, they drop off prey and leave it to the DNs to figure out what to do with it.  After sometimes hours, one of the adults may come to help.  Rewind has great views of this afternoon's deer carcass parts and how DN17 and 18 deal with it.  Also a sucker fish.  DN18 is clearly not as skilled with prey as DN17 -- yet.

STLbf

« Reply #303 on: June 06, 2024, 03:40:05 PM »

North chat mentioned a "fludge" early this morning, and there's a video.  Here are some pics.  A wind gust blew DN17 from the main Ladder Branch to one of the rungs.  That was a good place to explore for a while, then a short flight back to the nest.  It's a fledge when the eaglet flies to a place NOT attached to or part of the nest tree.  All in good time.

DN18 has been on and off the patio again.  No feeding seen on rewind as of 3:30 PM.

STLbf

« Reply #304 on: June 07, 2024, 12:40:23 AM »

DNF came to the nest about 8:30 PM, but didn't bring food for the eaglets.  Everybody did some chattering, squeeing, calling. In past years, the parents have fed much less often to encourage the eaglets to fledge.  We'll see if it works this time!   :D

STLbf

« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2024, 11:11:13 AM »

This morning is more of a feeding time from DNF, with deer and fish on the menu.  DN18 seems to be getting most of it by aggressively snatching and mantling as soon as DNF lands.  Also, DNF brought a large batch of green grasses, could be new hay.

DN18 mostly on the patio, and DN17 mostly on the Ladder Branch, but also joined DN18 on the patio briefly about 9:30 AM.

No new branching or fledging as of 11AM.

Puff

« Reply #306 on: June 07, 2024, 12:03:59 PM »

Here's a question for y'all - Is there any knowledge or hypothesis about the cicada having an attraction to certain colors?

Working outside, which I've been trying to do a little each day, I guess it was just the normal behavior for them buggers to be a pain-in-the-Ashley to fly at/into people.  I had to find a hat to at least keep them out of my hair.  HOWEVER, on Sunday this week I wore a bright golden-colored tee that was attractive to 90% of the ugly.  Reached my tolerance level in 1/2 hour.  (Was told in Belize that butterflies like red.
 tsk?)  And, another "discovery" the next day. . .I do take lots of breaks as broadly advised.  Sitting in the garage with the garage door open, counting the billions of uglies flying in and around my big crimson maple - I watched and saw not a single one fly into the garage.  They'd fly across the front of the door or up to the break of the driveway/garage entry, but then zip to a different direction.  I sat there watching at least an hour and didn't see anything come inside.  I didn't know I had a cicada-repelling device built in - or many it was body (sweat odor) smell.  I'll have to start a new search/experiment to see if either of my ideas could be true.

There are no cicada being seen on any site of Decorah cams????

P           

STLbf

« Reply #307 on: June 07, 2024, 08:02:59 PM »

Morning closeups of DN17.

Evening feeding -- MrN (I think) brought a fish that DN18 grabbed about 7:30. Maybe ate a few bites before DN17 stole it and ate it quickly.  Competition for food when the eaglets haven't been fed all day.

STLbf

« Reply #308 on: June 08, 2024, 11:20:39 AM »

DNF brought a nice fish to the nest at about 6:00 this morning.  DN18 claimed it, but not for long.  DN17 stole it and consumed it all.  DN18 doesn't put up much of a fight for food -- yet.  Morning rain shower, and eaglets are just sitting and perching same as yesterday.

STLbf

« Reply #309 on: June 08, 2024, 02:54:30 PM »

DNF brought a rabbit carcass to the nest about 1:30 this afternoon.  DN18 claimed and started eating at it while DN17 hollered from the Ladder Rung branch.  After a few minutes, DN17 came to take the carcass away from DN18, and DNF stayed at the nest to help with feeding for more than an hour.

STLbf

« Reply #310 on: June 09, 2024, 09:04:13 AM »

Checking in this morning at daylight, DN17 is on the Ladder Branch with DNF.    Rewind shows that they were together as the night camera came on yesterday evening and all through the night.  That's a first.

STLbf

« Reply #311 on: June 09, 2024, 03:25:41 PM »

Where's Waldo?  At first glance, the nest looked empty about 3:00 this afternoon!!!  No, no fledging, just the eaglets resting very quietly in the shade.
Generally, a quiet Sunday at the North nest area.

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #312 on: June 09, 2024, 04:12:08 PM »

Haha, I thought the same, STL!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

STLbf

« Reply #313 on: June 10, 2024, 03:17:09 PM »

DN18 has branched, early this morning, 6:30 or so, from the patio to the Perching Branch on the left side of the nest as we see it.  DN17 flew from the nest to the same branch not long after.  MrN (I think) brought a fish to the nest about 10:00.  DN18 was on the patio, but DN17 flew back from the Perching Branch to get the fish.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 03:21:35 PM by STLbf »

STLbf

« Reply #314 on: June 10, 2024, 08:07:26 PM »

Fish rewards for each eaglet at dinnertime today!  What a great day for the North family!

DNF brings food to the nest, and not to the eaglets on their branch perches.  Eating from a branch is a skill they will learn soon, and we hope to be watching them do it. 

Looks like they might spend the night on the Ladder Branches.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to the camera operators for all the great views, and to RRP for making this nest available.  Time for a donation?  I think so!   ;D
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 32   Go Up