Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Decorah North Eagles 2024  (Read 74811 times)

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
Re: Decorah North Eagles 2024
« Reply #345 on: June 16, 2024, 01:31:47 PM »

Even though it's a sad day for the North family and their fans, I'm very relieved to read this update. Thanks, all, for posting the encouraging news.
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

STLbf

« Reply #346 on: June 16, 2024, 02:22:08 PM »

Not your typical Happy Father's Day!  A very special one now that we know MrN, DNF, and both DN17 and DN18 are OK.

I was trolling the rewind as usual, from daybreak onward, watching for action with the eaglets and feeding, and totally missed the crash.  Finding the view of an old structure hanging from a branch, I discovered the Forum and Chat messages about the nest falling.  Not a surprise given the decaying condition of the nest tree branches, and yet a total surprise when it actually happened.  Pics posted, times approximately correct, but watch the video if you can.

Both eaglets were well fed early with three fish.  We all know what that looks like, and we're so thankful that fledging has occurred. 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 02:24:44 PM by STLbf »

nanimal

« Reply #347 on: June 16, 2024, 02:27:23 PM »

Thanks for the great documentation of this event, STL.
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston

STLbf

« Reply #348 on: June 16, 2024, 02:31:25 PM »

More after-nest-fall pics.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 02:33:46 PM by STLbf »

STLbf

« Reply #349 on: June 16, 2024, 04:55:27 PM »

The Brush Pile and BPTree seem like the go-to place for the eagles this afternoon as they adjust to the loss of the nest.  A parent (probably DNF) caught a large fish in the creek about 3:00, then spent quite a while on the ground with it as the eaglets watched from the tree.  She flew around and landed in the BPT about 4:40, and one eaglet flew to the ground about the same time.  Trust the eagles.  They will figure it out.

STLbf

« Reply #350 on: June 16, 2024, 05:06:08 PM »

Here they are on the ground; figured it out!  DN18 flew down first, see previous pics.  DN18 appears larger and with more white feathers on her shoullders and wings -- guessing a female.  DN17 is darker and appears to be smaller, so perhaps a male.  We can wonder if there might be confirmation if RRP deems it necessary to catch these youngsters to be sure they are not injured from the nest-fall.

Betcha they roost in the creek trees tonight, maybe all together in the BPT.  Isn't it lucky that the eaglets are old enough to sleep standing up now?

nanimal

« Reply #351 on: June 16, 2024, 06:04:28 PM »

Good news yet again, STL! There's definitely been a good bit of luck regarding the events of the day!

Phyl

• Maggie lives in Nashville,Tennessee Music City USA
    • https://parler.com @Phylll
« Reply #352 on: June 17, 2024, 01:04:28 AM »

Thank you all for the wonderful coverage of this mornings events ! When I read the news I  gasped ...'Oh no!"

Decorah North Eagles
Jun 17, 2024 12:53 AM
Camera Time: Jun 17, 2024 12:52 AM CDT
Birchwoman

I was perusing some of the cams just now and caught a snap of heraldic  DNF ( I' a bit 'rusty' on some ID-ing   :-[ ) in
the far upper left-hand corner of the photo.

Dina 5-23-21  :-* I miss you so much.
Sauces bald eagle cam

STLbf

« Reply #353 on: June 17, 2024, 09:53:48 AM »

Phyl, you are correct about one of the parents perched overnight.  I believe the location is the Love Branches, and there's an eaglet there, also.  See pic.

STLbf

« Reply #354 on: June 17, 2024, 10:28:00 AM »

Life goes on for the Norths. A parent dropped off a smallish sucker fish at the broken branch and an eaglet followed to eat at least part of it.

Later both eaglets were in the pasture out towards the creek, then with a parent on the Brush Pile, and exploring near the water.

nanimal

« Reply #355 on: June 17, 2024, 11:57:35 AM »

They're getting a fast education about life outside of the nest! Stay safe eaglets! Thanks, as always for the pics, STL.

STLbf

« Reply #356 on: June 17, 2024, 03:18:47 PM »

Nanimal, enjoy the pics!  I'm sure all us watchers are relieved that the cameras and microphones were not damaged in the nest-fall.  The live feed was offline for a couple of hours around noon; maybe RRP was visiting the site.

Mid-afternoon, MrN (I think) and DN17 were eating something dark and furry in the area across the creek where the Scary Tree fell a year or more ago.  After DN17 flew away, DN18 came in to share.  At 3:00, cam ops found DN17 perching in the Claw Tree

One pic from the nest camera, showing the Perching Branch (dead but intact) and the remnants of the also-dead Babysitting Branch with the hanging structure of the nest from when it was rebuilt.  Remember that the North's nest fell a few years ago and RRP built a starter nest that the Norths have been using until early morning on June 16, when it fell.

Putzer5

« Reply #357 on: June 18, 2024, 12:31:13 PM »

I have noticed ever since the nest fell, that there is lumber fastened to the nest tree.
I don't recall RRP making a starter nest, but it has been a long time.
Did RRP make an original starter nest ?

STLbf

« Reply #358 on: June 18, 2024, 01:03:06 PM »

Great question, Putzer5.  The North nest fell several years ago, and you are correct that RRP built them a starter structure.  That's what we are seeing attached to the Babysitting Branch.  I don't remember the year, and it's not mentioned in the Nest Records section under the live feed.  Someone will know and hopefully post the info here.

Breakfast for the eaglets on the Babysitting Branch this morning.  About 7:45, DN18 flew in, followed by DNF (I think but could be MrN) carrying something furry with a long tail, so squirrel or perhaps a weasel. In defurring, DNF dropped the prey and flew to retrieve it, meanwhile, in came DN17. DN18 claimed the returned prey and ate most of it.

DN18 flew off, and DN17 stayed, calling for food, which MrN brought --  nice sized fish, which DN17 consumed on the branch.

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #359 on: June 18, 2024, 01:24:02 PM »

https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-north-nest/

Nests
The first nest at the North site was built in a pine tree. The branches collapsed after the second nesting season and the eagles moved to a dead elm tree. They nested there for just one year before moving to their current location in late 2013. In August of 2018, their nest collapsed and slid or fell out of the nest tree during an extremely heavy storm. None of the tree branches were broken or damaged, so we decided to build a starter nest in the same spot. 2020 will mark their seventh season and fourth nest on this territory.

2018: A female eagle (DNF, or Decorah North Female) replaces Mrs. North over the summer. The nest falls out of the tree following a storm in late August. Kike Arnal and Amy Ries build a starter nest in mid-September. Mr. North and DNF adopt it in October.
2015: RRP adds cameras to the North Nest in September.
2013: The tree falls. The eagles begin a new nest in a white oak tree.
2011: The branches holding the nest collapse. The eagles build a new nest in a dead elm tree.
2009: A pair of eagles establishes the Decorah North territory, building a nest in a white pine tree.
The North nest is 56 feet off the ground.

In 2021, the nest was 8.25 feet at its longest point and 6.25 feet at its widest point. Measured outermost stick to outermost stick, the nest measured 12 feet across. We can’t really get a height on it, since we can’t get anywhere near the bottom and the nest slopes downward from the top. Our best guess is six feet high at its tallest measure.
In 2019, the nest was seven feet long at its longest point, four feet wide at its widest point, was about 3.5 feet high, and had a perimeter of roughly 18 feet.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32   Go Up