Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Turkey Vultures, Marshall, Missouri  (Read 38529 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Turkey Vultures, Marshall, Missouri
« Reply #210 on: August 08, 2022, 04:42:13 AM »

kid sleeping on the floor it is hot almost 80 80 here north winds coming later today so will be cooler those kids need that we all need that
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

STLbf

« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2022, 03:33:01 PM »

Both vultures have fledged, I think, this morning.  Both there at 7:00 [pic].  One seemed to go out the back window about 8:00 [pic] and the other out the door about 9:15 [pic] after lingering on the window ledge [pic].   I could be wrong about both being gone; the early one I didn't see actually leave, but the second clearly flew away at the door.

It's VERY quiet in the loft now at 3:30PM and there's nothing on the rewind.

Fly strong and eat lots of carrion, you vultures!   ;D

STLbf

« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2022, 07:29:23 PM »

Looks like vulture fledglings go away and return to their "nest."  This evening, one of them was picking around the loft, then flew away from the door.  Possible that it was the first time to fly away, but I'd put my money on return and leave again.  Anybody have better info?

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #213 on: August 09, 2022, 05:22:33 AM »

i just checked on the kids dont see anyone from the cam view showing the front door stlbf looks like they left and came back. i hope so cause barn is safe good safe place and yet get so hot they can leave if they want too.  Found this i have tvs come back every year stay in our old one room school house i do not go in there i see them on the roof and hanging around there but it is on the corner of our property can only see if in the car driving down pass there. once i went in and a mom was with her kid and she chased me hissing and spitting stuff out of me i made it to my 4 wheeler told her i was so sorry and not gone in there again that place belongs to them.

Turkey Vultures occur in a variety of open and forested habitats. Unlike Black Vultures, Turkey Vultures typically avoid urban and suburban areas. In North America, the species breeds in farmlands, rangelands, forests, and low-elevation mountains. Turkey Vultures do not build nests, but rather lay their eggs in dark recesses in ledges, caves, crevices, and hollow logs, as well as on the ground. Turkey Vultures also nest in the abandoned stick nests of birds, in mammal burrows, and in abandoned buildings. The species is monogamous, and evidence suggests that pairs remain together until one member dies. Existing pairs return to and reuse nesting sites year after year. For several days to several weeks prior to egg-laying, the pair spends time sitting together at the nest.  Vultures perform aerial courtship displays during which one bird follows the other and precisely mimics the lead bird’s flight path. Flight displays are usually brief, although occasionally they are repeated for several hours. Although clutches can range in size from one to three eggs, Vultures generally lay two eggs. Both parents share the task of incubation, which lasts for about five weeks. Males and females also take turns brooding the young, which are brooded continually for the first five days. Thereafter, the parents spend less time brooding. Both parents feed the young by regurgitation, either directly into a begging nestling’s gaping mouth or on the ground next to the nestling. Young Vultures fledge at 60 to 80 days of age. For one to three weeks after their first flight, fledglings perch and roost at the nest site and continue to be fed by their parents. Thereafter fledglings slowly explore the area around the nest site, and by the time they are 12 weeks old, they have dispersed from the area.
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2022, 02:58:01 PM »

dog barking really loud really carrying on i dont see the kids thought i heard couple of clods im worried that dog my dog in here i had to turn down the sound brownie upset over that dog dog still going at non stop
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2022, 09:23:19 AM »

I think they have dispersed from the area and camera is off today.  So I will go to Lake Erie and see my cousin Tammy at her "Lake House".  Maybe go see Mrs McDowell for peaches too.  CUL GBU and GB Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #216 on: August 20, 2022, 12:50:35 PM »

joho here you are been looking for you hope you saw your cousin and got peaches gb ukraine guess tv kids might of flew the coop maybe not cam just temp down.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #217 on: August 22, 2022, 09:29:21 AM »

I did see Tammy, and told her how her mother was my childhood hero.  Her mother was my mother's youngest sister.  She came to Avon Lake to visit us now and then.  I was probably 7 or 8 years old.  One day she and I were at the shore of Lake Erie.  I was climbing a tree when a limb broke and dropped me onto a concrete step.  It broke my arm and Aunt Florence, who we called "Bubbles" for personality, got me to a hospital in Lorain for treatment and a cast.
We had a very nice visit with a few peaches and melon but  no work.  I left when her laborer showed up to start working around the place which was Tammy's goal. 
I see a few drops of rain on my window just now so I will be staying in a while.
I believe the cam is off for the season.
 CUL GBU and GB Ukraine.

clarindagirl

« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2023, 05:00:18 PM »

March 28, 2023, Tuesday, pm --  Turkey Vulture In Loft

clarindagirl

« Reply #219 on: March 30, 2023, 11:35:25 AM »

March 30, 2023, 11:30am, Thursday, 2 Turkey Vultures Visit Loft --  Marshall, Mo

Both entered through the door, one exited through window.  Were out of site in nest area vocalizing.

clarindagirl

« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2023, 05:19:45 PM »

April 5, 2023, Wednesday, pm --  Turkey Vultures -- Marshall

Two TVs in loft during the afternoon, part of the time out of view in nesting area.

clarindagirl

« Reply #221 on: April 09, 2023, 12:30:05 PM »

April 9, 2023, Sunday - Turkey Vultures --  Marshall

Easter morning visit to Loft

clarindagirl

« Reply #222 on: April 10, 2023, 02:31:35 PM »

April 10, 2023, Monday --  Turkey Vultures --  Marshall, MO

Lots of activity in the loft today from early morning to about 2:00pm.  Up to 3 vultures were viewed in the door area, lots of noise off camera in the nest area.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 02:36:48 PM by clarindagirl »

clarindagirl

« Reply #223 on: April 11, 2023, 08:40:32 AM »

April 11, 2023, Tuesday -- Turkey Vultures  --  Marshall

Thank you RRP Cam operators for a view of the nest area.  I have an overactive imagination and was sure at least 20 eggs were lurking there. LOL

clarindagirl

« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2023, 01:59:47 PM »

April 22, 2023, Saturday --  Turkey Vultures  --  Marshall Loft

A pair of turkey vultures are working on creating the bowl of the nest. Wondering if it's two females waiting for the male??
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 02:58:35 PM by clarindagirl »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19   Go Up