Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Turkey Vultures, Marshall, Missouri  (Read 38487 times)

STLbf

Re: Turkey Vultures, Marshall, Missouri
« Reply #195 on: July 11, 2022, 03:16:28 PM »

Don't know if turkey vultures get avian flu, but some other wild birds certainly do.  Crows, bluejays, etc. 

One of the vulture chicks was visible this afternoon, hopping on and off the bale of straw.  It also could have been two chicks at different times. 
Hope for the best.

STLbf

« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2022, 11:39:59 AM »

Just checked on the vulture chicks via the rewind.  They are both moving around, so hope for the best and that they fledge at a normal time.

calihoula

« Reply #197 on: July 13, 2022, 05:42:43 PM »

i just went to cam kids are flaked out on the floor wings spread out so cute black and white beautiful. on my ipad cant take a pic i saw them few minutes ago they were up but now flaked out
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #198 on: July 14, 2022, 05:13:33 AM »

white headed baby up other was sleeping

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #199 on: July 16, 2022, 02:56:32 PM »

I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

STLbf

« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2022, 07:48:00 PM »

Betcha these youngsters wish they could fly already!  It's 100 degrees outside, might be more in the barn loft.  They must be close to fledging age.

calihoula

« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2022, 01:00:13 PM »

hi stlbf this heat is awful storms tonight cooler tonight 68 rain around 3 am rain storms tomorrow high 76

How long do vultures stay with their parents?
Juvenile Black Vultures fledge at 10 to 14 weeks of age, but remain dependent on their parents much longer. Adults sometimes provide food for their young as long as eight months after fledging. Even once they have become independent, juveniles may continue to forage in social groups with their parents.

STLbf

« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2022, 11:18:43 AM »

The vulture youngsters seem to be doing well. The older one has lost most of the downy ruff around its head and neck -- otherwise it's impossible to tell them apart!  Don't know if Marshall, MO, got the heavy rain storms Monday night into Tuesday. 

Thanks to Calihoula for the info about fledging and how the young ones stay with parents for a long time.

calihoula

« Reply #203 on: July 29, 2022, 05:48:31 PM »

hi stlbf kids were looking out the door this morning i think waiting for take out food they need to clean their room  :) my tvs here scout and his family get bigger every year tvs such good loving parents

STLbf

« Reply #204 on: August 02, 2022, 11:52:57 AM »

The TV chicks are still in the loft.  Look how dark their feathers are today.  They must be as large as the adults, too.

calihoula

« Reply #205 on: August 04, 2022, 05:44:16 PM »

just checked on the kids both at the door waiting for their take out dinner. yes so big beautiful

STLbf

« Reply #206 on: August 05, 2022, 04:38:19 PM »

Someone has opened the "window" in the loft as well as the door.  Chicken wire moved aside in case they want to leave from there. Gotta be soon.

Rewind to see the bone toy one was playing with earlier.  Maybe not playing, but moving it around.  Can vultures eat and digest bones like the eagles do?

calhound

« Reply #207 on: August 06, 2022, 05:11:20 AM »

There is a light and the one kid looking at it it is swinging back and forth

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #208 on: August 06, 2022, 05:14:06 AM »

Do vultures eat bones?
The true 'bone eaters' though are the lammergeiers (also known as bearded vultures). These vultures have behavioural and anatomical adaptations that allow a diet of up to 90 per cent bone.

Turkey vultures will clean off all of the meat from a dead animal, leaving nothing but bones, thus keeping the disease from spreading to other animals. Studies have shown that when the population of vultures decreases significantly in an area, the incidence of diseases increases

Hi Stlbf!

calihoula

« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2022, 02:45:47 PM »

one tv up looking out open window really big big like parent other down on floor in corner by opening its so hot and humid here poor kids
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19   Go Up