Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: In Memorium: obit links  (Read 26991 times)

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
Re: In Memorium: obit links
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2020, 02:11:25 PM »

I am so sad to learn the news of JP's passing.  JP's posts in the Decorah Lounge board's puzzle thread, and in the puzzle thread on the Mods Entertainment board in Forum, and most especially his daily posts of uplifting, positive, words of encouragement in the "Jewelies" (Jewel and Her Cubs) bear thread on the Animal Cams and Information board in Forum.  He posted daily in that thread, and almost daily in both puzzles threads, for many years, and also participated in the various Decorah threads, as he loved following the Decorah Eagles, and often posted some of his wonderful screen shots from cam captures he took, as well as his observations.  He also converted some of his wonderful Decorah Eagles screen captures into puzzles on the Decorah Mods Entertainment board's puzzles thread.  JP, as many of us called him in Forum, had so many life experiences, and was so widely traveled, and he often shared stories from different times and places in his life.  He enjoyed photographing spots around his beloved Key West, which he would sometimes share in Forum, and shared funny stories, too.  He had a wonderful sense of humor and was a sharp mind, always.  He was such a positive person, and encouraged others, as he stayed upbeat and hopeful, always, even when he was going through trying times, such as a long evacuation for a hurricane in recent years, and long drives for medical appointments, and then his move to his retirement apartment in the last couple of years, which he posted photos of and shared with his many Forum friends.  He stayed positive and upbeat through all, and encouraged others to greet each day with a positive thought along with his wishes for all to enjoy the day to the fullest.  JP and I exchanged a number of private messages over the years about different places we had both visited in the U.S., and also in regards to his Navy service during WWII, which overlapped with my father's Navy service, though they didn't know each other.  I, and many people, will miss JP, and will always remember him fondly.  My deepest sympathy and most sincere condolences go out to his family and his many friends.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2020, 02:57:20 PM »

This was just devastating news to hear about the passing of one of our originals.  God bless Jim for all the delight he brought to this Forum and into our lives.  RIP Jim
Chicagoland

Nora in IA

• May 30, 2020 Great Spirit Bluff
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2020, 07:12:06 PM »

You're so right on all counts Baz. I can still see his posts when he had reception and could post from Miami where he was evacuated to the one time.  "Day of confinement......."  :)

glogdog

• ChatMods
  • And He will raise you up on Eagles' wings!
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2020, 12:04:25 PM »

Hey everyone.  I am sad to report that we've lost another long-time member and friend here in the forum - Neverbeen78 aka Mom Never.  She was an avid poster in the thread "Cheers" for quite a while. I spoke to her daughter, Mandy, yesterday, and she informed me that Mom Never passed away May 18, 2020.  She also told me that besides Eagles she loved wolves.  Mom Never...you will be missed.  Mandy is hoping to become a forum member so perhaps we will see her posting in Cheers soon.  Heartfelt condolescences to the family.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:06:58 PM by glogdog »
glogdog

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2020, 09:27:09 PM »

((glo)), I'm sad to learn of Mom Never's passing.  But I'm glad you could connect with Neverbeen's daughter, Mandy.  Thank you for sharing that information here, and in the Cheers thread.

Mom Never, as most of us knew her (Neverbeen78), really loved the Eagles, and I see from glo's post today, she also loved wolves.  She last posted in Cheers last November 3, 2019 (archived), after learning of willi's passing.  Mom Never sure has been missed.  My sincere condolences go out to her daughter, Mandy, and all of her family and friends.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

Nora in IA

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2020, 02:17:56 AM »

Thanks Glo.  I hate to see members passing away one by one.  I appreciate you letting us know about Mom Never and glad you connected with Mandy.  :'(

nanimal

• Decorah Eagle fan since April 3, 2011
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2020, 02:16:19 PM »

Thanks, Glo, for sharing the sad update about Neverbeen. Some forum members had been concerned that she hadn't posted in a long time.  I appreciate your efforts since it's especially hard when most of us have no one to contact. I always enjoyed her posts and sense of humor and she was particularly passionate about the state of our environment.  She also spoke out strongly about lead, which, as we all know, is so devastating for our eagles and more. I'm glad her family was with her at her passing.  She was an original here and will be fondly remembered. Condolences to her family and her close forum friends.  RIP, Never!
They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. ~ Henry Beston
REMEMBERING A GREAT MAN, 7-27-2015.  SOAR HIGH AND FREE, BOB
Dad Decorah, always loved and remembered

mrsfalcon

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2021, 11:13:28 AM »

Another obit. Julie Shaffer: https://www.jvleahyfh.com/obituary/julie-shaffer
"Julie worked as a Professor of English at Indiana University. She will be remembered as an incredible wife and mother. She loved gardening, reading, good champagne, caring for animals; especially her basset hounds. Julie's energy for life and adventure spread contagiously in every social or intimate setting. Our family feels the greatest loss from her ability to live in the moment, and make everyone she came into contact with feel special and important. Her sparkle she added to every room, remains permanent for us. "

Amy

jpalmken_judi

• Daughter of JPalmKen
Re: In Memorium: obit links (JPamKen JP)
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2021, 05:06:16 PM »

Hello all. I am Jim's (JP's) daughter and I was guided to these forms by @johoward when I informed him of my Dad's passing. It is so nice to see the notes and condolences. He left us so quickly and I miss him terribly. I was born at the same time he retired from the Navy (SURPRISE!) so I missed the Navy years (my brothers are 16 and 19 years older than me). Growing up in Key West he was always close by to try to help me with Math (my nemesis) and he loved his gadgets and puzzles so much. I have 2 sons and the younger one, also named James, will be 22 tomorrow and will soon be graduating from Florida Polytechnic University with his Engineering Degree. I wish my Dad was here to see that but I know he is always watching. Right after we made the decision to request palliative care to ease his breathing struggles, my brother had an Eagle fly around his house for about 20 minutes and we don't usually see them within the city limits here. I know he was telling us everything would be ok.

Thank you again.

Judi

We lost another one too!  JPalmken (JP) passed away on Sept. 10th.  He would have been 97 this Saturday, the 26th.  As the lady from the assisted living facility said, "all his friends here and all of us really miss him, he was a wonderful guy.  His big goal was to live to be 100."

He joined our RRP forum Sept. 24, 2011 and I loved his Navy stories from when he was career Navy.  He had a good sense of humor and was such a caring guy.  I swear he stayed on Navy time after he retired.  He'd post at 5 AM and say he overslept.  He was our "poppa bear" on the bear thread and also posted such cute morning greetings.  He made lots of JigZone puzzles for everyone to work.

ra

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2021, 05:28:24 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Judi!  We all thought so much of your dad and are so sad to have lost him!  Visit Jewel's thread while you're here.  He spent most of his time here, other than with the puzzles, there with the "bear people".   ;)
Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age.
Sometimes, age just shows up by itself.

NW SC USA

Nora in IA

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2021, 05:46:34 PM »

Oh my gosh I hope you see this Judi!  I'm so glad you came here.  I had a card for your dad and called assisted living to confirm a room, although they usually can't give that out, but thought they could at least confirm the room I had was correct.  I didn't have a good feeling at all and when I called she hesitated and got all choked up and told me about his passing.  By the time we got done she was in tears.  It was nice to know he was in such a caring place.

That is really something about the eagle flying over your brother's back then.  I felt like your dad may have stayed with the "bear people" later on because it was too hard to keep up with the eagles, too.  Are you in Florida also now?  I always think of you when there are bad storms headed for Baton Rouge.  What a fantastic family photo!

Take care, Nora
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:48:26 PM by Nora in IA »

Nora in IA

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2021, 05:57:16 PM »

Another obit. Julie Shaffer: https://www.jvleahyfh.com/obituary/julie-shaffer
"Julie worked as a Professor of English at Indiana University. She will be remembered as an incredible wife and mother. She loved gardening, reading, good champagne, caring for animals; especially her basset hounds. Julie's energy for life and adventure spread contagiously in every social or intimate setting. Our family feels the greatest loss from her ability to live in the moment, and make everyone she came into contact with feel special and important. Her sparkle she added to every room, remains permanent for us. "

Amy
I'm so sorry to hear about losing Julie, also.  I'm glad her family was with her.  It was such a bad year last year.

mrsfalcon

• Administrator
In Memorium: obit links
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2022, 10:36:06 AM »

Jim Womeldorf has passed away. Those of you who were around in 2013 might remember that he brought us the season that year when Mom and Dad moved to N2. He was a huge supporter of the Decorah Eagles, a chorister, and just an all-around great human being. I'll miss him: https://www.helmsfuneralhomes.com/obituary/james-womeldorf][url]https://www.helmsfuneralhomes.com/obituary/james-womeldorf[/url].

Amy

PeepSpy

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2022, 11:04:58 AM »

Jim Womeldorf has passed away. Those of you who were around in 2013 might remember that he brought us the season that year when Mom and Dad moved to N2. He was a huge supporter of the Decorah Eagles, a chorister, and just an all-around great human being. I'll miss him:
https://www.helmsfuneralhomes.com/obituary/james-womeldorf

Amy
I'm sorry to hear this!  :(

I had to Google both churches mentioned - I have a church acquaintance whose son is a Pastor in Iowa! Fixed your URL - didn't work as is.  ;) :)

LisaG1967

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2022, 11:16:50 AM »

So sorry to hear this news  :(