Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 601817 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #25590 on: September 18, 2022, 08:43:55 AM »

Good Sunday morning my friends.  I hope you are well. Although I suspect you are not.  May God bring support and comfort to you for whatever burden he has brought you to.  I remember Joan would tell me,  " God has brought you to this and he will bring you through. "
GBU and GB Ukraine, where the news is a little better this morning.

calihoula

« Reply #25591 on: September 18, 2022, 11:34:42 AM »

I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #25592 on: September 18, 2022, 10:45:37 PM »

5:53  YAY.
Was a hot one today.  I did not go out at all.  Just watched a lot of "Naked and Afraid" on Discovery channel, and also lots of football.
Niece Susie's husband Pat likes the Giants. They won.  Debbie and I like the Browns.  They lost.  Cal likes the Chiefs.  They won yesterday.  JP liked the Dolphins.  They won with a lot of help from the cheetah.
Tomorrow is Monday.  It will be rainy and cooler here, but I like it cooler.  So we will see what happens.
I have not been fishing lately, because the fish have broken my line on all my poles.  More than once.  I am waiting to get some fresh line on all my poles.  There are three poles now.  None will hold the fish I expect to catch.  Billie will be over Wednesday evening.  He will help me get rigged properly for bigger fish.
I wish you all well .  Get some rest knowing I am praying for comfort for you and all who read this.
GBU and GB Ukraine.

johoward

« Reply #25593 on: September 20, 2022, 07:39:44 AM »

Finally went fishing again yesterday.  The fish won again.  Landed none.  Lost my tackle again when he broke my line for the umpteenth time.
Missing you Cal.  Hope you are well.
You too Neva.
GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #25594 on: September 20, 2022, 04:46:45 PM »

Scorpion Fish ... 27:33     94°  (2:16 pm)  Partially cloudy, a mild breeze... cooler by a little ...  a pretty decent day.

Thanks for the prayers, Joho ... we all need them.  about three days ago, I fell getting out of the shower.  Luckily I didn't break anything or hit my head, but my muscles sure are sore.  I'm using my walker for the time being, though I usually don't in the house.  I will just have to be more careful in the future.  Thank goodness my daughter was there.

It seems like you have some pretty smart fish in your end of the woods, Joho.  Good at busting loose.

Hi Cal.  Prayers for both of you, too.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #25595 on: September 20, 2022, 05:40:44 PM »

My fish are big strong dummies.  If they would come along to me I would unhitch them and they would not have to swim around with hook, line, and sinkers dragging. Terrible to hear of your fall Neva.  My Debbie is always nagging me about the hazards of falling.  She has seen a lot in her years of nursing, and knows it will happen.  The shower she says is the most dangerous place in my home she says.  I will thank God you were not more seriously hurt or worse.  I did a lot of what I call sponge bathing while my legs were unstable.  I have a bar in my shower on the wall, but maybe should have a seat and a hand held sprayer.  Which I don't have.
Just got back from Debbie's.  I took her some news clippings, some doggie bags, and some pods from milkweed plants.  I put them in my freezer overnight to eradicate any bugs and fungus they may be hiding.  She wants to encourage Monarchs.
Miss our Cal.  Sure hope she is doing better each day. 
GBU and her as well as others who visit the bears, eagles, falcons, and vultures with us.
GB Ukraine

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #25596 on: September 21, 2022, 07:40:56 AM »

All is Well, Pixie, and a Spirit Bear in Michigan - UPDATE September 17, 2022

Pixie
With no shots heard on this third weekend when the bear hunting slows down, it seems that all is well with a half hour to go until hunting hours are over. 7-year-old Pixie (daughter of Donna) and her cubs stopped by, but I only got a picture of Pixie.

A few days ago, I got a call from reporter Sheri McWhirter that a Spirit Bear was spotted for the first time ever in my home state of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. All the words she said brought back memories.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2022/09/one-in-a-million-white-spirit-bear-spotted-in-upper-peninsula.html

Kermode bear in pool rainforest - file photo
Kermode bear in pool
- WRI file photo -
Kermode catching salmon
Kermode catching salmon
- WRI file photo -
Spirit Bear reminded me of September 19, 2003 when I saw my first spirit bears (Kermode Bears) fishing in pretty pools in British Columbia (photos). It also reminded me of Pat Surface of Spiritwood Music meeting bears here and creating a popular song ‘Makwa Manido Spirit Bear’  that I like.

I remember being thankful when someone donated something as rare as a white mounted bear to the Bear Center so people could see how they look. Upper Peninsula reminded me of vacations as a teenager and being sniffed from foot to face in the dark by a black bear before it moved on to tip over a garbage can—my first encounter with a wild bear.

Blue jay
Blue jay

A blue jay added color out the window as it shared bear nuts without asking.

When one of the volunteers left yesterday, he said the WRI is his favorite place in the world. Others have said that, too, and this has become my favorite place, too, besides home and the Bear Center.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #25597 on: September 21, 2022, 07:45:55 AM »

hi you guys this is the best i can do for now

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/14055D592912?z=0

gb us
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:48:45 AM by calhound »
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #25598 on: September 21, 2022, 10:31:07 AM »

4:11  Had a nice reply typed in, but somehow lost it.  So this is a do over, and the time is from memory.
Again nice day here.  Grass was well watered in the very early morning.  Now 78 degrees and all dried up on walks etc.  Had to go get paper again, but I don't mind.  It is not far.  Takes only about 20 minutes round trip, and I let the coffee brew in the meanwhile.
My friend and fishing coach Billie will be here after 4pm.  He will tell me how to keep fish from breaking my line so much.  He is ex-marine and has fished all over the country.  He brought me a big bass spinner, but I am afraid to use it for fear of losing it.  I also bought two floating rubber frogs that I saw two young men use to catch very large bass in a weed choked pond.  Again not using them for fear of losing them.  Will be interesting to see what he recommends.  I know new line is in the works, but not sure which one or line weight.  He told me 8 lb. would work, but I feel it will still break.  I usually use 10 lb at least.
Nice to hear from our fearless leader this morning.  Time heals all wounds.  GBU Cal
May God Bless us one and all as well as Ukraine.  Just think what if Putin's rigged election comes out 80% against him? 

neva

« Reply #25599 on: September 21, 2022, 04:57:45 PM »

Church Yard ... 32:56     88°  (2:41 pm)   Partly cloudy, breezy and laptop says "Rain coming".  I hope so.  It did yesterday.

Hi Cal and Joho, and all who stop by.

Joho ...  I recently bought a shower seat and it is a great help.  Also, my daughter installed a hand help shower head/spray.  It works very well.  You really should look into it, the prices are reasonable.

Hi Cal ... you are in our thoughts.

It did rain, a very good one.   ⛈️ 🌵
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 04:00:10 AM by neva »
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #25600 on: September 22, 2022, 06:46:49 AM »

Kimani and her Cubs and a Big Beaver Adventure - UPDATE September 19, 2022

Kimani's cub
We didn’t see or hear any hunter action as is usual for the Monday after the third weekend of bear season.  Kimani
Kimani
A newspaper article told of bear visits to hunters’ baits dropping off drastically this past week.

We were happy to see Kimani and her two female cubs come by for a couple ID pictures showing the similarities of their dark faces.

It is not often a beaver can make a more striking appearance than a bear, or maybe we should just call it even today, but a beaver gave me my biggest surprise today. I’ve been wanting to get a beaver picture to go with the rejuvenated lodge a tenth of a mile from my window across the lake. I saw ripples near the dock just down the hill from my window and grabbed my camera. I moved quietly, trying to catch it on shore grabbing a bite to eat. I got down to the shore. No ripples. Was I too late? Or was the beaver on shore. I walked out on the dock looking down the shore each way. Nothing. I turned to leave and there was the beaver carrying a hazel branch to the water like I’d seen one swimming with a few weeks ago. He was maybe ten feet from the shore and heading toward me. He paused. I clicked one of my luckiest shots ever. He had beautiful fur. It was good light. I stood quietly except for the camera click. He came on ahead, entered the water next to the dock, swam maybe 10 feet and let go of the branch. I thought the show was over. He swam out a way, turned, and circled back, looking like a different beaver in the different light and the water reflecting the blue sky. He seemed calm. He swam back to the branch, bit off a leaf, and ate it facing me, holding it with his hands like I’d not seen before. Then he calmly swam off, probably thinking discretion is the better part of valor. I went back to my desk and got busy and didn’t go back down to see if he came back for the rest of the branch. I looked at the pictures on my computer and was happy to see good definition, although the three pictures looked like three different beavers in the different lights.

Beaver w/hazel branch
Beaver w/hazel branch
Beaver eating
eating
Beaver swimming
and swimming
A good day with no gun shots and memorable interaction. I like it when wild animals are somewhat accepting when I stand quiet and try to be non-threatening. I’m thinking of a book of moments like this and will likely include the two pictures of him in action doing things I had never been able to witness close-up like this before.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #25601 on: September 22, 2022, 06:54:42 AM »

hi you guys its 58 here 51 in iceland

gb us gb ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/81055D4D6B36

neva

« Reply #25602 on: September 22, 2022, 04:24:43 PM »

Windmill Az... 25:15     93°  (2:06 pm)   Sunny and a good breeze out there.  There's a chance of rain this afternoon, so they say.

Hi you two.  I'm hoping that you are doing okay.

Not a lot going on here, just trying to get over a cold, and I'm glad it is just a cold.

Take care, both of you.
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #25603 on: September 22, 2022, 04:48:23 PM »

4:26  Yay.
  Boy is it ever cold out there now.  Wow.  Went out to see if it was raining in my open car windows and got a shock.  Put car into garage and went right in.  Computer say it is 60 degrees, but felt more like 40.  Nice in the house, but will need more than just a sheet to sleep.  Hope I get to see the Browns tonight at 8:15 against our arch rival the Stealers.  Debbie will be watching at her house, and there will be swearing if browns don't do well.
She has taken in an old friend whose daughter threw her out after fifteen years.  Now she has no place to live and no job for income.  She does have a car, and parking was all ready a problem on Debbie's cul-de-sac.  Makes it hard for Mary to drop off Dash in the morning and pick him up in the evening.  Debbie says it is only until Oct. 31, but I don't see anything changing by then so who knows.
Billie on his way over to help me fix fishing gear.  So CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #25604 on: September 23, 2022, 05:54:35 AM »

hi you guys its 57 here rain coming later 50 and raining in iceland

Hi joho reading posts did billie help you? i did watch any football last night just went to sleep when i woke up went to check and saw brownies won and won pretty good. chiefs been winning and yes cheetah helping jps dolphins to win i knew he would. i was sad he left here but helping jps team is good. i heard on the farm out in the barn some temp later in the week in the 40's at night. like that weather. dogs like it alot.

hi neva hope you are okay after your fall. doesnt take much for us to fall. our body are still pretty tough i think so far. hope your cold is better.

i read after putin making men join and fight for him leaving russia roads are packed airlines packed not wanting to die for this idiots thoughts finally russian people are awake before let the military fight we go to the mall but not anymore and putin calilng for nukes again desperate if he actuallyl heads for them someone i think will finally end him. one bullet would do it.

Russia trades Azov fighters for Putin ally in biggest prisoner swap of Ukraine war
Moscow releases 215 prisoners in exchange for former Ukrainian MP Viktor Medvedchuk and others

More than 200 Ukrainian and foreign citizens have been released from Russian captivity, including fighters who led the defence of the Azovstal steelworks in Mariupol, in the biggest prisoner swap since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February.

In return, Russia received 55 prisoners from Ukraine, including the former Ukrainian MP Viktor Medvedchuk, an ally of Vladimir Putin accused by Ukraine of high treason.

The swap came after mediation by Turkey, with negotiations carried out in strict secrecy. News of the swap broke in the early hours of Thursday and came as a surprise, just a day after the Russian president had announced mobilisation and threatened nuclear strikes.

Russia released 215 prisoners, including Ukrainian border guards, police officers, soldiers and others, as well as the Azov fighters, the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy said. A number of Russian prisoners of war were also sent back to Moscow, while ten foreigners, including five Britons and two Americans, were released by Russia.

“We have freed 215 of our people from captivity, of whom 124 are officers. Of those we have freed, 108 are Azov fighters,” said Andriy Yermak, Zelenskiy’s chief of staff.

Riot police detain a demonstrator during a protest against mobilisation in Moscow, Russia
Russia protests: more than 1,300 arrested at anti-war demonstrations
Read more
Medvedchuk, a Ukrainian politician who ran a pro-Russia political party before the outbreak of the war, was known as Putin’s closest ally in Ukraine. The Russian president is godfather to his daughter.

Medvedchuk was arrested in April after escaping house arrest on treason charges days after Russia launched its invasion. Zelenskiy called on Russia at the time to exchange him for Ukrainian prisoners of war, but the Kremlin rejected the offer.

In a statement about the swap, Zelenskiy said Ukraine had got a good deal.

“I am not sad about swapping Medvedchuk for real warriors. He has gone through all investigative procedures according to the law and Ukraine has got everything from him it needs to determine the truth,” he said.

The Azov fighters surrendered in May after a long siege at the steelworks. They had refused to surrender for weeks despite running out of ammunition and with many wounded in the underground tunnels of the vast Azovstal plant.

Russia has previously described the Azov fighters as “neo-Nazis” and made frequent public statements about wanting to hold a “Nuremberg 2.0” show trial. Russia’s embassy in Britain tweeted in July that the fighters should be hanged. “They deserve a humiliating death,” it said. Russian propagandists are now scrambling to explain why the fighters have been released.

In Ukraine, where the Azov fighters have become national heroes, news of the swap was met with delight.

“We are extremely proud of what our heroes have done. We are so proud of each of you,” the Ukrainian MP Kira Rudik tweeted.

Zelenskiy said five military commanders, including leaders of the defence of Azovstal, would remain in Turkey “in total security and in comfortable conditions” until the end of the war. There was no comment from Moscow.

The 10 foreign prisoners of war were transferred from Russia to Saudi Arabia earlier on Wednesday.

This was some really good news the saudi prince helped get them get released too. i think that woman i saw with her dog being taken from that steel plant with the other ukraine fighters is free.

I will never talk about some of my personal life here. Joho and neva my very good friends i watched the queens funeral yesterday on my ipad jim watched it with me at the kitchen table. very sad for her to have to go she did so much the saddest part of the funeral and best to me was when she was heading down that road and along side they said the squares with filled with all the flowers for her and on up on the grass on the side i saw the black pony and i knew it was hers emma and it was said she rode emma two months before she passed. she loved dogs and horses i sure do get that

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D5055D5A94B4?z=0