Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 629620 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #25560 on: September 10, 2022, 11:25:09 PM »

That is funny Neva, and it could apply to any of the many things that annoy us.
Been watching TV all day.  Now late and sleepy.  So cul ev1 GBU, GB the King, and GB Ukraine

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #25561 on: September 11, 2022, 04:46:54 AM »

Bears, Beavers, and No Shots Yet - UPDATE September 10, 2022

RC
No shots yet, but it’s only 5 PM with nearly three hours to go.

It was a pleasant day so far watching cubs rest 80 feet up in the safety of big white pines, Spanky drink from the pond, and 23-year-old female RC hang close in the safety of this spot.

Spanky
Spanky
Chinas cub
Chinas cub
Chinas cub
Chinas cub
In the last couple days beavers began re-using their old 1977 beaver lodge. In the last few years, beavers have built four additional lodges around the lake that is outside my desk window. Beaver Lodge
Beaver Lodge
Now they are coming full circle. Throughout the summer, looking at the view across the lake, I saw no action at the lodge that is in the middle of the picture at the water’s edge below the tallest pine. Then on September 8 a beaver towed a leafy branch to it to begin their winter food cache. Today, the lodge is suddenly black with new mud as shown in the close-up shot. I remember the old days when a beaver cam there showed me a lot that I had never seen reported before. Beaver Lodge close-up
Beaver Lodge close-up
I’ve told some of this before, and it plays in a video in the Ecology Hall of the North American Bear Center, but I could hardly believe it back then when I saw muskrats join the beavers, paw through their fur, presumably for a special insect that winters in their fur, and then see a mink come in carrying a freshly killed muskrat and eat it in front of the camera. The beavers also brought in branches from their winter cache that was just outside under the ice and let me see them gnawing off the bark and cambium between naps. Some of that became a video that played for years in the Duluth Aquarium.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #25562 on: September 11, 2022, 05:01:02 AM »

hi you guys it 57 here got rain over night 56 in iceland and raining still no shots ty god and hope bears stay close to docs area

hi joho did you watch college football yesterday? i came in from the barn and jim was watching his missouri tigers against my kansas wildcats and wildcats beating tigers chiefs today

hi neva queen loving her dogs and horses i can relate to that alot. i like her simple table she is using in picture with her dog. how her face all lit up with seeing her dog and her horse i know my face does that too. ukraine is doing good taking back what was theirs but all the loses. read putin said russia has not lost anything i thought really wonder if all those mothers who lost their sons cause of you think that all the widows for your stupid ego and putin you lost your mind its lost.

November 6, 2018
The Queen out for a ride in Windsor accompanied by her head groom Terry Pendry.

GB the Queen GB the King GB Ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/75055D50114F
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #25563 on: September 11, 2022, 06:40:55 AM »

Good morning.  7:22 Nice again this morning.  Rainy, but warm and no wind.  May walk a little with umbrella. I did watch a lot of college football.  Too much.  Could not keep the games straight in my head while bouncing from channel to channel while also watching The Matrix. 
Thanks for being here EV1.  Coffee and paper waiting.
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

neva

« Reply #25564 on: September 11, 2022, 03:45:07 PM »

Big Ben ...  39:14     97°  (1:20 pm)    Breezy, sunny, a few clouds and a bit muggy.

Hi you two.  I hope the day is going your way.

Cal ... I would love to see all of the horses that the Queen owned.  I've always loved horses.  I've heard that she has a couple of dogs that were half Corgi and half Dachshund, called a Dorgi.  And her first Corgi was named Susan.

That has been on my list for a while now, Joho, to watch 'The Matrix' all the way through ... never have.  Larry has the DVD's I should dig them out and watch them soon.  Larry liked that series.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #25565 on: September 12, 2022, 04:52:11 AM »

hi you guys its 54 here 55 and raining in iceland i saw on the world news earlier queens coffin arrived in scotland and i saw ukraine taking back their towns and people hugging them for that some crying getting rid of the russians. pres zen saying russians can go back home but this is our home. and he said putin should know by now we are not afraid no water no elec no food still better than being taken prisoner. then he said but we will have power food water and all our land back.

hi neva i saw some horse contest over there they have the queens horse won. i read that too she has some dorgis and yes would love to see all her horses she has like 100 but you know has her favorite to ride.

hi joho i did not watch the chiefs game i was in the barn but saw the highlights saw the cheetah now with miami dolphins and helping them win 20-7 against patriots and thought of jp he got the cheetah. :)

GB the Queen GB the King GB Ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/39055D56A926

johoward

« Reply #25566 on: September 12, 2022, 10:21:06 AM »

5:14 Love those big bales.  Such a serene image.
 Chiefs looked like champions.  Patrick is like a magician.  You missed a good game.  Why so long in the barn?  Are you flooded again?  I still don't know who is Cheetah.  LOL  I know he is now on JP's team, and probably helped them beat the Patriots, but who is he?
Browns had a real scare out of Baker.  Just barely pulled out a win at the bitter end.  Was the first time in a long time that Browns won their opener.  I think about 20 years.  Felt good, but not as entertaining as watching Patrick perform.
Well GTG.  Cold outside for a change.  Lots of jackets and sweatshirts are coming out.  Says 65 degrees, but with breeze feels cold.  I will go out after lunch for a ride or walk.  Bye for now.
GB U and GB Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #25567 on: September 12, 2022, 01:04:56 PM »

hi joho i was reading about queen her will where her dogs go her horses but saw this picture of her riding not that long ago

I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #25568 on: September 12, 2022, 01:20:31 PM »

She was more athletic at 94 even than I was at 50.  Her beautiful horses look especially sturdy and warm coated.  Look at those feet.  The look like Clydesdales.  She will be missed. GB her and you my friend.

calihoula

« Reply #25569 on: September 12, 2022, 01:22:56 PM »

hi again joho cheetah is tyreek hill he was number 10 as a chief still number 10

https://youtu.be/B3IDY6oQxP8

he is cheetah fast and can jump up very very high well he is the cheetah. i go out to the barn around 3 pm i give pearl her daily worm med in little grain then i pour rest of her grain in her pan. i clean up her area maybe cat with me but pearl does not like her looks back at her looks again i dump out pearls water tank clean it maybe moves up close to pearl pearl had it cat too close to her feed pan i yell move maybe she moves. pearl is foiled again.then i put in water then i fill sweets water tank i get buckets pick up her hay she has wasted then i fill up pans i have over by where raccoons come to eat their dry dog food. then i fill up their water pans clean dust off their fan. check sweets fan pearls. comb out pearl. feed maybe fill her water bowl fill up birds water bowl feed them. clean filter on the ac furnace give sweets pearl their treats talk to god i am slow getting around too been hauling in dirt to try to level floor for pearl after all that i fill up big water bowl by side door put out dry food for racconies and possum that come later. toss out cookies then i feed my cats in laundry room then i go downstairs and do my mom cats then my cats in office my cats in my room make me something to eat snack for the dogs they will reshow that chiefs game and i will catch it then or i saw highlights on the news. my kids come first. yes patrick is something! :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 01:25:53 PM by calihoula »
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #25570 on: September 12, 2022, 01:29:28 PM »

joho she was riding her beloved fell pony

The Fell Pony Society has paid tribute to the Queen, who was its patron for 40 years. Queen Elizabeth II first bred a fell pony in 1952 and she was photographed riding the animals until shortly before her death.2 days ago

johoward

« Reply #25571 on: September 12, 2022, 05:01:12 PM »

Tyreek Hill and  fell pony.  Got it.  Thanks cal. 
I know your kids come first, but I thought that was early in the day, and the game was at 4:30 here.  I think you will enjoy the game when you see it.  I know I did.
Now almost dinner time for me. I need to plan or cook or both.  Not sure what to do.  Often I will go to KFC or BK or Charlie's Subs, or Taco Bell, or someplace.  Takes a while to make up my mind.  Coupons sometimes help, but I don't have any today.
 I did ride a few miles.  Warm but not hot.  Very nice.  Breeze made peddling hard on way back.
Need to go renew Sam's member card now.
So thanks again and CUL GBU and GB Ukraine  Go Chiefs

calhound

« Reply #25572 on: September 13, 2022, 04:51:46 AM »

hi you guys its 56 here 59 and sunny in iceland

hi joho they are showing that chiefs game again on one of our local channels i did hit record so i can watch it zoom thru ads. next game on thursday night it starts at 7 pm chargers i think and here at arrowhead so i will hit record  on it too i go to bed at 7 watch little tv go to sleep i get up so early go to bed early. when i went out to the barn yesterday at 3 course i go out there on and off all day but at 3 i always look up in the skies and it was so nice out and really windy and my tvs were flying over me and then riding the winds  :) did you pick a place to go eat? i like taco bell dont get something there very often i like their spicy bean tostados   when i go out almost always real early you do so good riding your bike getting out getting exercise.  :)

hi neva

GB the queen GB the king GB Ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9F055D5196DF

calhound

« Reply #25573 on: September 13, 2022, 04:56:06 AM »

Birds and an Auction - UPDATE September 12, 2022

Rose-breasted Grosbeak - first fall male
An error a couple days ago is that I said the beaver lodge was Woods Lake
Woods Lake
below the highest white pine in the middle of the picture. It was the wrong picture. This is the picture with the tall pine.

For a bit of the unusual, the only geese I’ve seen here this year spent the day feeding near the beaver lodge, which they picked as their resting place midday. Also, after not seeing a rose-breasted grosbeak here for months, this young male whose plumage shows he hatched this year spent much of the day.

Exciting News....Our friends at the Northwoods Bear Foundation are hosting an online auction to benefit the North American Bear Center. The auction began today, September 12th, at 12pm CT and ends on September 18th at 3pm CT. Check out all the details here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1377169629133985

Geese on beaver lodge
Geese on beaver lodge
Geese on Woods lake
Geese on Woods lake
Last night I went home early to catch up with family gathered here from four distant places—good fun. Kelly and Colleen shared stories that will have to go in the book. One I hadn’t thought of for the book was of Donna bringing a picnic for us to have on the flat roof of the USFS Kawishiwi Field Lab and us holding the ladder a couple feet out from the roof to keep bears from joining us. We remembered many good adventures and how we never had a problem. Looking forward to writing about them.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

johoward

« Reply #25574 on: September 13, 2022, 07:48:33 AM »

6:32  Late start.  Hard to get to sleep last night.
Very nice this morning.  58 degrees and damp.  Plants are loving it.  Reminds me of our honeymoon at Hunting Valley Lodge in Tidioute PA on September 16th. 1961.  We hiked to a mountain top to picnic in the sun on the hillside.  It was great.  Joan almost stepped on a rattle snake.  Very scary, but he avoided us. Thank God.
Feeling sad today.  So I will leave you with best wishes for this nice Tuesday morning.
Thanks for being here.  CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.