Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 603546 times)

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #25605 on: September 23, 2022, 12:36:22 PM »

In 2022, World Migratory Bird Day was celebrated on May 14 in the spring, and October 8 in the fall. The theme for the entire year is about reducing the impacts of light pollution on migratory birds and the significant threats it poses. The Migratory Bird Program is encouraging everyone to participate in reducing the impacts of light pollution and join in the international effort to "Dim the Lights for Birds at Night!"

A Kentucky warbler being held by a researcher.
Kentucky Warblers, listed as one of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Birds of Conservation Concern, is one of many bird species that are night migrants and highly vulnerable to bird collisions.  | Image Details
Nighttime Lights and Birds: What’s the Issue?

Artificial light is scattered across the landscape of the entire country, and birds are frequently attracted to lighting, especially during inclement weather events during migration. Unfortunately, lights can cause confusion, disorientation, and exhaustion - directly impacting their ability to migrate.

For example, birds disoriented by lights can circle structures for extended periods of time, leading to exhaustion or accelerated use of energy stores critical for migration.

In addition, birds attracted to lights on buildings and structures frequently crash into windows and collide into buildings, unfortunately ending in tragedy.

Eliminating or reducing unnecessary lighting can significantly reduce bird collisions, while simultaneously reducing energy demands and costs to building owners. Reducing nighttime lighting is especially important during peak bird migration periods, and periods of inclement weather.

What Can You Do?

1. Turn off your interior and exterior building lights during peak migration season!

2. If you can’t turn off all lights, consider turning off exterior lights – the flood lights that face up into the sky, roof-top lights that illuminate the surrounding landscape, or change your motion sensors to only be active when people are present.

What the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is doing to "Dim the Lights for Birds at Night!"

Our Northeast Regional Office in Hadley, Massachusetts, reprogrammed their automatic lights, so they'll be "lights out" from 8pm-5:30am. This simple action is protecting birds in the area and saving electricity! They're getting the word out and hoping other businesses and organizations will follow suit.

The National Conservation Training Center in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, turned off their external lights and parking lights for World Migratory Bird Day. They also presented a virtual public lecture with Dr. Joelle Gehring on “Bird Collisions with Communication Towers: How We Can Reduce the Risks and Save Money.” 

At the brand new Ankeny Hill Nature Center at Ankeny Hill National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon, our staff worked with the construction company to have the lights turn off each night, at the building and in the parking lot, and made sure there is a manual option for staff to use as well. This decision was made to help birds migrate and keep light pollution down.

i heard this on the radio this morning kc mo downtown etc dimming all lights said vast amt of birds migrate at night
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #25606 on: September 23, 2022, 03:42:17 PM »

Thanks for sharing the bird light story Cal.  I had heard of this, but had forgotten.  I will make sure all my friends and family hear of the benefits of letting the night be night.
Billie did help.  He found a broken pole tip right of the bat.  I thought it was just made different, but he pointed out that it had come unsoldered form it's support.  He verified the line is strong enough.  So I am just not tying things on correctly.
Finally did oven.  5:19.  Not too bad for me.
Was a real cold day today.  No walk or ride yet.  Maybe after dinner I will go.  The wind is bitter and biting.  I have not given up on my Bermuda's yet.  I did wear two shirts to go shopping though.
I gave Debbie twenty scratchoff cards for her birthday.  She got them one day late.  She said she won $7.  So she was happy.  I wish I had just given her $25.  I will next time.  I spent 25 and she got 7.
Well time to start thinking about dinner.  I have spent a lot of today playing solitaire.  My bottom hurts from this hard chair I use.  So I will say CUL EV1.  GBU and GB Ukraine.

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #25607 on: September 24, 2022, 05:36:14 AM »

hi you guys its 50 here and very foggy. 51 and raining in iceland

hi joho well debbie probably had fun doing her scratchoffs cards but i get what you said. hope her house guest is not there forever. why did the daughter kick her out after 15 years did she not help out with money or stuff? there are shelters around the city maybe some around there. good billie came and helped you out.

Hi Neva hope you are okay

GB Ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/7F055D5A01E8
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #25608 on: September 25, 2022, 05:09:15 AM »

hi you guys its 64 here 51 in iceland Hope you guys are okay. kc chiefs play at noon the colts and play in indy joho your brownies played thursday and won big both teams in first place jps dolphins play bills in miami and dolphins are also in first place.

GB us all GB Ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/CD055D508BD6?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #25609 on: September 25, 2022, 08:46:43 AM »

6:32 on the bike shop, and 7:00 on the Nautilus.  About right for me.  Some pieces take two or three tries before they move.  May try new batteries in mouse.  May not.
Chat looks more normal. TYG But where is the update I wonder.
Life does go on as they say.
I guess Debbie's friend caused her daughter some marital discord.  At least she got the blame for it.  So sad at this advanced age, 76, to be cast out. I do not see this ending well for anyone.  Debbie values her self time, and I do not see this new friend, or in fact anyone, living with Debbie in peace for long.  She bought a house just so her own daughter and her son would have a place to live apart from her.  Soooo!  I am very apprehensive, but will wait and see how things go.  Kind of scary having a stranger, who could not get along with her own daughter, living in your house where you are trying to keep your grand son safe and warm.  Just my opinion.  Debbie is special though.  If anyone can handle this, it is she. Well enough of that.
Cool and rainy out now, but warming.  I will go out after lunch when the rain stops.
CUL EV1  GBU and GB U kraine.

calihoula

« Reply #25610 on: September 25, 2022, 01:02:22 PM »

hi joho chiefs on not doing overly great jim in livingroom watching heard him say playing worse team #*#*$- i am in an out doing chores. sweets stall is in need of all that hay being cleaned out. so i untied one side of his swinging sliding door he was ramming it i yelled at him i  got down on the ground turning my head reach it grab hay he was in his bed at far end but ran to the door rammed it it swung out hit side of my head *#&*$@ *@&$# *&#&@* i feel for debbie i like my space keep to myself now she has lost that. she worked hard retired time for her now. daughter can be in lots of trouble against the law to neglect the elderly. cant just say get out she must find another home for her mom period maybe assis living hud housing this is not debbies job.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #25611 on: September 25, 2022, 01:10:01 PM »

i forgot putin draft young men crying pres zen told them sign up surrender your military stuff to us we will do you right iran sending drones to putin using them in ukraine i was upset but saw ukraine been blowing those drones up in the sky.  read that jerk roger waters of pink floyd for putin saying west ukraine uk started this war he wrote a letter to mrs pres zen saying awful stuff poland has cancelled pink,floyd upcoming concert david gilmore does not feel that way at all.

calihoula

« Reply #25612 on: September 25, 2022, 01:14:12 PM »

WASHINGTON —
The U.S. has warned Russia of “catastrophic consequences” if it launches a nuclear attack on Ukraine, President Joe Biden’s national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, said Sunday.

Sullivan, speaking on ABC’s “This Week” show, said U.S. officials have told Russian officials privately that Biden “will respond decisively” if Russian President Vladimir Putin orders a nuclear strike but did not say how the U.S. would respond.

Sullivan said the U.S. would “not engage in a game of rhetorical tit-for-tat” with Russia.

The U.S. response came after Putin signaled the possibility of a nuclear attack last week as he called up 300,000 military reservists to help fight in its seven-month invasion of Ukraine. The troop augmentation came after Russian battlefield setbacks, with Kyiv’s forces recapturing large swaths of territory in northeast Ukraine that Russia had seized in the early weeks of the war.

Widespread protests against Putin’s troop call-up have erupted in Russia, with police arresting hundreds of demonstrators participating in street protests in Moscow and elsewhere.

johoward

« Reply #25613 on: September 25, 2022, 05:05:42 PM »

There's our Cal.  Getting butted by unruly billie goat.  Watch language or Amy will boot us. LOL  Giving Putin a little what fer. Coaching my Debbie who has just finished a 40 year career in elder care.  You are right though.  It is not Debbie's job any more, but it was.  I think she will do well by her friend.  I am praying for them both, and for the daughter with marital strife.  Have not heard anything about Boss lately.
 I texted Mary yesterday to let her know I was thinking of her.  Her response was a picture of she and Dash, AKA Sebastian, on her couch.  It was about 11 am so I was surprised she was home and said so . Then she says, "Grampa, it is Saturday."  I said I was sorry, and blamed it on being retired.  She laughed and said she was looking forward to that day she can forget what day it is.  Need to go dry off now and watch some football.  Got caught walking in the rain.
Hi Neva.  Do you or yours have a favorite football team?  We can help you root for them.
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #25614 on: September 26, 2022, 05:23:23 AM »

hi you guys its 50 here it is also in iceland but raining. still no update so hoping that means all is still well no bears hurt or worse. going to try to mow the dogs yard and got lots of laundry to do and regular chores tomorrow get stuff from walmart so need to get other stuff done today.

Hi joho hope boss is doing okay with a new person in his house. i saw the very end of jps dolphins game yesterday was pretty good esp since dolphins won.

hi neva!

gb us gb ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/72055D594BD8

johoward

« Reply #25615 on: September 26, 2022, 09:00:42 AM »

6:36  Cold this morning.  Put heat on last night for first time to dry my clothes without shrinking.  Lots of wet stuff hanging all over my house. Hope to stay dry today.  I know AC season is over.  I do like the cold better than hot, but not the wet.
No update yet.  Seems odd.
My Cleveland Indians, who call themselves Guardians, have won the sectional championship.  Many are surprised at this since they had the lowest cost lineup in baseball.  Reminded me of that movie where the manager used the advice of an accountant to pick his roster and won it all.  Life imitating art.
My neighbor lady to the East is a Cleveland Indian FANatic.  She must be very happy this morning.
Well time for me to start moving around a little.  Hope you all have a good day.  Even if it is Monday. Just reminding myself.  LOL
So CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #25616 on: September 26, 2022, 05:31:59 PM »

hi joho im getting ready to lay down watch weather channel ian hitting florida i think nfl getting anplan for tampa bay and chiefs game i hope chiefs plan to play alot better i heard about guardians first thinking who is that but cant say indian now i got indian in me dont understand why you cant say that now but yay they did good penny getting up on little bench for cats they use it to get to my little dresser where i put out dry cat food how it holds her i dont know but one more time she gets a cane whacking. >:(

neva

« Reply #25617 on: September 26, 2022, 06:34:48 PM »

Mexican Wall ... 32:42     98°  (2:55 pm)    Windy, clouds building up to the east, partially sunny, but maybe rain later on ...  🌵⛈️

Hello you two ...   All is well,  but still puppy chasing going on here, though at my age it's not me doing the chasing. 

Joho ...   Sorry, I'm not a football person... or basketball, or baseball ... I used to love to watch Tennis, and I do like most Olympic sports.  All of the time I went to the U of A, I never went to one of their games.  But ... I do appreciate the offer to help me cheer my side on.   😊 Thanks.  My brother, Doug, loves the Braves.  He is a baseball fan, big time.  My dad was too.  I love the sound of a game being broadcast in the background ... the sound of my growing up years.

If I'm not mistaken, the Cleveland Indians use to have their Spring Training camp in Tucson, and then one day, they didn't. That was a long time ago.  The town felt somewhat abandoned.  (not me)

Cal ...   Why does Sweets try to butt you?  Is it just male behavior, and/or guarding his territory?  He knows his food and treats come from you, shouldn't that make a difference?  I always wanted one of those tiny little goats, but maybe it's good that I don't have one, they are not like dogs, I guess.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #25618 on: September 27, 2022, 05:47:53 AM »

hi you guys its 46 here clear 50 and raining in iceland.

hi neva! my years growing up went to my granny and papas lots on the weekend and papa sitting in the living room listening to the ball game on the radio sometimes on the tv. sweets has been doing alot better with me. i brush him out every day now some days he lets me know not today and thats okay. he has those two big curving horns and wants to use them. he is ornery but he does love me wags his tail just you know the boy cant help himself. when jim went in there the other day so we could tie him up do his nail he was standing up his hind legs but when he dropped back down cause what goes up must come down jim got them horns then i got the halter on and then sweets was shaking so scared and i hate that but nails have to be done and joe does NOT do goats. did you see roger retired from tennis. along with serena.

hi joho i was googling ukraine see what is going on today russian people angry over that draft and i read some comments liked this one.  Imagine going to fight for someone you don’t like (Putin) against something you don’t hate (Ukraine). Then imagine going to fight for something you love (Ukraine) against someone you hate (Putin). That’s why Russia, ultimately, has no chance of victory.

GB all of us GB Ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/31055D4DA006?z=0
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 05:50:16 AM by calhound »

johoward

« Reply #25619 on: September 27, 2022, 07:24:40 AM »

6:07 My favorite time I guess.
Neva,
Cal's goat is the most beautiful Billie I ever saw. Long silky hair and beard.  Beautiful shiny colors.   Great curling horns.  Bright eyes. Muscular front shoulders.  He is the whole package.  However he is know as unruly.  He is very photogenic too.  Just likes to be noticed.  LOL
 I shudder whenever I hear of Cal trimming his nails for him.  Good Jim is big and strong to handle Sweets, and knows not to turn his back.  I would like to be a fly on the wall while they do the trimming.
I think the stars are rearranging in the tennis world, and it seems a little sad to me, because I am old and will miss the old guard.
The Indians are great this year.  Good for Cleveland.  My next door lady had a big party to celebrate.  She is a FANatic.  Her husband not so much, but supportive of her.
Cold but nice out.  Only 48 degrees.  Gonna rain off and on then a lot , I guess later.  SAo I will be riding my car instead of bike.
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.