Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 621103 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #25470 on: August 21, 2022, 04:51:27 AM »

Lucy, Dancing, and More - UPDATE August 20, 2022

Red squirrel
Six-year-old Lucy gives me the calmest, closest feeling. Her breathing says she feels the same way, and her heart rate is the slowest I’ve found with any bear this year—90 beats/minute. I know scientists shouldn’t have feelings for their study subjects; but without sensitivity, you can’t behave appropriately. It’s a treat to see her. I hope I can put a collar on her and a camera in her den where she will give birth this winter. Same for Lily who will den with her three yearlings.

Doe and fawn
Doe and fawn
Out the window, fawns are growing. This fawn followed its mother listening behind while the mother listened ahead. The fawn will lose its spots in a month or two.

The red squirrel just happened to be sitting in light that made me click.

Dancing was an unexpected treat last night. The music had rhythm—country music sung well. A highlight was Donna, daughter Colleen, granddaughter Gabrielle, and me holding hands in a circle as we moved to the music. Sometimes we’d let go and move our arms a lot before reconnecting and bopping around some more. A good time. It made the singers happy to see us happy, and they said so afterward.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #25471 on: August 21, 2022, 05:06:37 AM »

hi you guys its 65 here 68 in the barn 53 in iceland and raining nice update i can just see dr rodgers and his family dancing and having so much fun! wish i could dance again hope those bears get to denning soon! almost 1st of sept. which is a bad bear month.

Hi NevA! i sure do hope you get better praying for you i been seeing all your rain and flooding. please rest and get better god watch over neva i did not watch games of throne could not commit to the series and then they reran all of them but i did not record it no way can i watch all that but i saw parts i am aware of it love seeing the dragons. so now they are coming out with pregame thrones  earlier times i googled it and saw it was from this book fire and blood by martin rr george so i got a hold on it had a sample to read and wow so good. reading about that family and brother he married his two sisters and ruled the lands and got it by using his dragons his and his queen each ride one. 

hi joho saw you over at the tvs site.  i just went to that cam and still off the air. soon scout and them will be heading out.

gb ukraine

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/98055D541CA4

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #25472 on: August 21, 2022, 11:16:09 AM »

Sorry to hear Neva that your breathing is hard.  GBU I will be praying for your relief.  I hope you get to enjoy some of the cooler weather.  We had a great rainy and cool start to our day.  Later I will go to the fairgrounds to watch them large animals arrive for the fair that start tomorrow.  i did not read the other posts yet. So I may have to come back later. I think it will be evening.
GBU and GB Ukraine.

neva

« Reply #25473 on: August 21, 2022, 06:12:11 PM »

Sunup Cactus  28:29      91°  (3:53 pm)   Some clouds to the east. Sunny and somewhat breezy. 

Hi you two and anyone else that drops by.   I hope your day is going as you'd hoped it would. 

I'm starting to feel better.  Weds I got a Prednisone shot and I see a difference.  Thanks for your prayers.  I'm doing better.  It is basically Asthma complicated by a cold.

I've never gotten into 'The Game of Thrones'.  I know I should at least take a look at it, but I haven't.  I have heard that it's good.   
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #25474 on: August 21, 2022, 06:47:12 PM »

hi neva oh so happy you are better xoxo that pred is powerfull stuff! i watched a video of drogen dragon his human mom queen that her nephew lover stabbed he thought she would be a bad queen she did not get to sit in the iron throne broke my heart poor drogen but then i read he took her back to homeland was able to breath life back into her

https://youtu.be/bO11R_aJOXk
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 03:02:59 PM by calihoula »
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #25475 on: August 22, 2022, 05:04:18 AM »

Bear News – August 20, 2022
This week is a little different report.

Bear Weights:
Ted 620 lbs., Lucky 480 lbs., Holly 344 lbs., and Tasha 368 lbs.

Bear fact: Bears cool off by lying in water, by panting or resting in the cool shade with their sparsely furred undersides against the ground.

Chucky the woodchuck
Chucky the woodchuck
Yesterday while the interns were giving a behind the scenes tours, I took a moment to sit and listen on the observation deck. The first sound was the rush of the water over the falls and the gurgling of incoming water to refresh the creek.

A breeze kicked up briefly and the flowers behind the pond swayed, sending gentle fragrances through the air. The coneflower, hawkweed, daisies, aster and a variety of other wildflowers decorate the landscape.

Pond
Pond
Behind the scenes
Behind the scenes
Wildflowers around pond
Wildflowers around pond
The sounds of road construction for the new Ely bike path interfered with the quietness on the deck. The screech of tires meant someone didn’t see the many trucks dumping dirt. The blasting and loud noises are annoying but have only bothered the bears a small amount. Just outside the back door the group gathered to hear the intern’s instruction to please stay behind the line as our bears can mistake purses and bags for pouch treats. The group then moved up to visit Lucky. He was sitting near the cedar tree but got up as the group approached. The talk finished and he took a walk to the rear of his enclosure.

Silly Tasha
Silly Tasha
Ted snoozing
Ted snoozing
As I watched for Holly to appear, Chucky (the woodchuck) sat sunning himself on the rock den. The ravens with their two juvenile youngsters appeared and cautiously looked for leftovers. The ravens often try to mimic anyone calling the bears. The quiet ended as their ever-watchful eyes kept track of their young. Chucky disappeared.

One of the ravens that like it here
One of the ravens that like it here
The chickadees, gray jays and blue jays have returned. Often, the people are more likely to be impressed by the birds instead of the bears. Are they telling us it will be an early winter? After I left the observation deck, I walked up to see the bears. Ted was resting with his head on a flat rock. Tasha was relaxing near her tub. Lucky was under the canopy of the trees near his den. Holly was most likely in the wooded portion of the enclosure resting. I didn’t see her but the interns had taken a picture of her earlier in the week.

As we are now in mid-August, Ted has started to shed. The fur on his shaved paws (from his dental surgery last fall) is filling in and looking good. He is slow but he’s doing well.

Lucky
Lucky
Holly with her head down
Holly with her head down
Your continued support for the bears through our Amazon Wishlist has been overwhelming. I speak for the bears when I say thank you and keep up the good work.

Sr. Bear Keeper, Sharon Herrell

calhound

« Reply #25476 on: August 22, 2022, 05:17:10 AM »

hi you guys its 63 here 53 in iceland and raining. i got to pick up groceries here in a bit. out of dry dog food raccoonies go thru lots of it so ordered 2 50 lbs bags and other stuff lots of other stuff. at least they will shop for me and load it up. that is a big help. mowed yesterday and worked in the barn. nice update from sharon i saw on the news dennis rodman going to russia no way would i go there NBA hall of famer Dennis Rodman says he has permission to travel to Russia as he attempts to secure the release of fellow basketball star Brittney Griner.

there goes griz

GB Ukraine!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/F6055D55E132

johoward

« Reply #25477 on: August 22, 2022, 08:05:30 AM »

:03  Got up feeling poorly.  Just dragged out for some reason.  Not sick just tired like. No ambition.  Not a good feeling.  Nice rain here yesterday several times, and lots of rain.  Too much in some places, but not near me or mine. Sorry for those who flood.
Sounds like our Neva will be better soon.  Thank you God.
No cam babies left to watch grow up.  They have all left the nest.  Fall and Winter are very close now.  I even got a little chill this morning for the first time in months. Had to put on long sleeves for comfort.  Shorts still OK.  I love love August.
Not sure what I want to do today.  Was looking forward to the fair, but don't really feel like going now.  Seems odd.  I have always liked the fair.  Even when I could hardly walk.  My feet are a little sore for no reason.  Feel bruised in several places. Trails are muddy, but I think I will ride my bike on the streets for a few miles soon.  Then see how I feel about going to the fair or my fishing hole.
I have had enough squash, peaches, lettuce, and tomatoes to last a while.  Not really hungry for anything right now.  Maybe later I will crave some fair food and go on out to Wellington for lunch and dinner.
BTW it is 63 degrees and clear at 2pm in Dublin where Marge lives.  Lots of jackets and sweaters, but still lots of short pants.  Just like me.
Well GTG so CULEV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #25478 on: August 22, 2022, 09:47:03 AM »

hi joho im on a shorty break got tons of groceries car packed unloaded most of it still got heavy stuff to unload cat litter case of can dog food can cat food 50 lb dry dog food got one out need to go to the barn maybe you are just tired you did too much lately. heard on radio biden said no one should travel to russia well duh rodman but not saying you cant said in talk trading prisoners and this could screw it up. not just grines other american too! rodman says he knows putin

i hope that dog in the dog shame did not get sick
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #25479 on: August 22, 2022, 01:08:23 PM »

6:08 on redo of sunset.

calihoula

« Reply #25480 on: August 22, 2022, 03:07:11 PM »

2:44 on sunset

hay joho what did you do today? are you better?

calhound

« Reply #25481 on: August 23, 2022, 05:16:19 AM »

Lily, Ursula, Sidney, and More - UPDATE August 22, 2022

Ursula
Lily’s cubs have now been seen closely enough to verify that she has two males and a female. The female has a small identifying white line on her chest in the same spot as Lily does.

Ursula with Lynn
Ursula with Lynn
A big relief today was seeing Shadow’s daughter, 17-year-old Ursula, and knowing that she is okay. We’d heard of a bear being shot last August in an area that Ursula crosses through, and the delay in seeing her this year made me worry. Then, this morning, I got a call. No mistake. It was Ursula identified positively from her markings and behavior. She still has the trust that began long ago, and she showed it today. She is special. Despite her trust, she has never done what the naysayers say. She has never generated a complaint. She has never been aggressive to anyone. And she certainly has never attacked anyone, contrary to what the old beliefs would predict. She truly prefers wild food as shown by her absence from diversionary feeding stations until her appearance today. Sidney
Sidney
Scat that are full of cherry pits have only the occasional hazelnut shell. Bushes that had them are mostly bare. And many of the remaining ones are wormy.

Another highlight was seeing 7-year-old Sidney and her two cubs. Sidney is grand-daughter of Donna and daughter of Wendy. Her ancestry is Shadow > Blackheart > Donna > Wendy.

One-eyed Jack is always a hit with the groups as he was today.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #25482 on: August 23, 2022, 05:24:49 AM »

hi you guys its 62 here 52 and morning rain in iceland nice to see ursula soon be time to worry again. i hate sept for that. just go straight to oct still couple of weeks of bear murdering time but most of killers have moved on to killing something else. poor something else be nice to not have killers or bad evil people in the world.

hi neva hope you are better i saw earlier on the weather channel it was 78 for you.

hi joho i miss those tv kids that sure went fast. i need to go get my flu shot at walmart this week.

GB Ukraine!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/B4055D4E942D?z=0

johoward

« Reply #25483 on: August 23, 2022, 08:06:00 AM »

6:42  Did nothing but computer all day yesterday.  Every time I went outside it started to rain.  So I just stayed in.  Late in the evening almost dark I went for a bike ride.  Then I went to see Debbie and Boss just at dark.  I took over a Farmers Almanac that had stories about dog care and about Autumn seed handling.  She is going to a seed farm on Saturday with a friend.  They want to start a garden for pollinators next spring.  Boss will stay with me all day Saturday.  He is fun for me.  Very playful and lovable.
I really think our baby watching is over with the TV gone.  Lots of new babies out there now.  Would like to know how the GSB falcons made out.  They bugged out very early from the box to the ground.  I guess no-one could see them after that.  Just hope they got to fly eventually.  They needed a few more flight feathers when they jumped
Today is nicer.  No rain.  Will likely go biking after breakfast, and thinking about the fair again.  We will see.  Coffee calling so GTG.  CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #25484 on: August 23, 2022, 11:49:12 AM »

hi joho yay you get to hang with boss saturday! i went to walmart at nine pharmacy got my flu shot and first shingle shot one in each arm. he said shingle would sting he did not lie but okay they told me although i got my second pnuemonia shot last year good for five years now they want you to get a pnuemonia 20 shot next month. and second shingle shot in two months so pharm guy said come back in oct get both.

hi neva i heard on the car radio last night first night for house of dragons pre game of thrones and broke all records i know it was good cause i am reading the book well read 50 pages sample waiting on it im number 5 on 20 copies i think. but when it comes to regular hbo i will record it want to see the dragons. on special hbo which of course more money.