Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 621423 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23505 on: June 09, 2021, 06:39:26 AM »

a hit and run at snows place
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #23506 on: June 09, 2021, 12:16:10 PM »

5:04 sledding next to snow
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23507 on: June 09, 2021, 03:50:29 PM »

5:56 not too bad for me washer and dryer being hooked up gtg gb

calhound

« Reply #23508 on: June 10, 2021, 05:47:34 AM »

hi joho saw this posted at fb from rrp i find it a little hard to believe that big problem with black flies they would step in they did not with the decorah juvies when they jumped out of their nest to get away and one had a broken wing hiker found him taken to soars for rehab. if baby is not getting fed i would hope they would do something about that. :(

What's going on at Great Spirit Bluff? Why isn't Zooey feeding her young? Why doesn't Newman taken over? And what's up with Zooey's shuffling?
We turned to Board member and Gyrfalcon breeder Jim Robison to help answer your questions. Although it isn't true in every case, first time falcon mothers are more likely to be reticent about feeding, to fumble food, to eat dropped food, and/or to feed inappropriately-sized bites to their hungry young. Zooey stashed and prepared food and chupped at her young, but she didn't seem to understand how or when to feed them. We saw her tearing off chunks that the hatchlings couldn't swallow, picking up and eating dropped food, and offering food instead of stuffing gaping beaks. Zooey appeared to want to feed her hatchlings, but she had no knowledge or experience to guide her.
So why didn't Newman help? Peregrine hatchlings need almost constant brooding until their thermal down begins to emerge on day eight. During the first eight to ten days of nest life, mothers do nearly all of the brooding and feeding, while fathers provision their young and mates. Since Zooey was brooding, chupping, and trying to feed her young, Newman didn't know or understand that his young weren't getting fed. Falcons are largely guided by hormones and instinct. They can learn, but they don't tend to innovate.
What's up with Zooey's shuffling? Jim told us that this was a very normal behavior for first time parents. They have no experience to inform or cope with their instinct to roll eggs and shuffle young until they've gone through their first season. Although the afternoon shade, large rock, and backless box are all helping to keep the nest cooler than it would be otherwise, I have to wonder if the oppressive heat is adding to Zooey's stress. Zooey's hormones are telling her that she has to brood, while her brood patch and heat response are telling her that it is very hot. She might respond to the conflict by rolling and shuffling instead of getting off her little hatchling or staying still through the long, hot day. She is a brand new, first time Mom, she has a lot to learn, and she is doing the best she can.
We use Tom Cade's 'Guide to Management of Peregrine Falcons at the Eyrie' to age nestling falcons and help make nest management decisions. It states that 'At eight days, the second down begins to emerge in the spinal tract along the backbone'. As the second down emerges and Zooey's nesting hormones ebb, we should see her shuffling and rolling begin to decrease. We don't have long to wait!
While some of you have described Zooey as obsessive or paranoid, her dedication bodes well for future broods. We have our fingers crossed for this nest (and for cooler, less stressful weather) and look forward to banding on June 19! We are keeping a close eye out for problems with blackflies and hippoboscids - especially given the heat! - and will respond if we think it is necessary.
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23509 on: June 10, 2021, 05:49:33 AM »

Daily Updates
Donna, Chloe, Names, Maureen - UPDATE June 9, 2021
09 June 2021
 Print Email
Lincoln
Lincoln
After a great day celebrating our 42nd wedding anniversary, Donna and I are at the WRI catching up on bears and happenings.

Yesterday evening, Chloe and her cubs stopped by and we settled on two names that came out of the blue for her cubs. The brown one is Charlie Brown after the color of the cub and a long-time bear feeder in the community. The black one is Lincoln after an 8-year-old boy who loves bears. Fittingly, bear cub Lincoln was good enough to give us the best view yet of his distinctive chest blaze for the record.

On a distressing note, our friend Maureen O’Brien who painted the beautiful murals that add so much class to the Bear Center is in the hospital fighting for her life. She caught and struggled with Covid, and then suffered additional health issues. Meanwhile as she lay in the hospital, her house burned down and since she is in such a fragile state, she has not yet been informed. This article tells the story https://www.bemidjipioneer.com/community/7062687-Local-artist-Maureen-OBriens-home-destroyed-by-fire-while-she-battles-in-hospital Our prayers and best thoughts are with her.

Maureen O'Brien in 2015 - Northwood Ecology Hall
Maureen O'Brien in 2015
Northwood Ecology Hall
Cub Room Mural
Cub Room Mural

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23510 on: June 10, 2021, 05:55:45 AM »

hi you guys how terrible for maureen! :( I wonder if she got vaccinated for covid and if not i hope others will get vaccinated. this is a dangerous thing for sure. poor maureen. congrats to dr rogers and his donna! i go see my dr this morning taking my shoe just in case they want to try to put it on. i hope to get to put weight on my whole foot. jim went to get police report for firebug at my sisters place and picked up my other sister so she is here i need to work on her stuff now too.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/0E055D59E845?z=0

« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 05:57:33 AM by calhound »

johoward

« Reply #23511 on: June 10, 2021, 06:53:39 AM »

5:33 wish little girl had on life jacket.  Prayers for Maureen.  Good luck at doc cal.  Going to military funeral at Seville OH at 10:30 for Gary Urbach. I will wear a mask.  He was Joan's cousin.  We did not know him well growing up, but got to know him later in life after Joan's dad died.  He liked to have family get togethers for breakfast etc.  Feel very bad for his wife.  She is now alone and far from home in her big newer house in FL.  Home is Cleveland, OH.  Well time to get going cul GB

johoward

« Reply #23512 on: June 10, 2021, 01:03:38 PM »

Cancer got Gary.  They said.

calihoula

« Reply #23513 on: June 10, 2021, 02:56:45 PM »

hi joho good you. got back okay we hate cancer steals ours. :( was his wife there? give her his flag played the taps. it went really good at dr that split and spacer ive been wearing all this time and it hurts but little toe lays just perfect i dont have to wear them anymore! this boot i can now walk fully in it wants me to follow thru heel toe when it quits hurting which its okay really i can start trying on my shoe which i will do everyday i go back in 6 weeks he was pleased with me told me how good i did long road and doc not always so good but pretty darn good. yesterday i was out with pearl where she eats looked down little bird egg perfect shape dont ask how god helped got that big ladder up front got it all the way back there opened it up had egg in little cloth deal went up that ladder in that big boot way up pearl be good i knew which nest felt inside other eggs in there put it in got down ladder put it back birds went back in it all day they stayed closed in it today too cruddy cat in my barn grr i run it off but shoot go away cat jim saw it said he seen it across the road at that house. may try to trap it take it back over there. my birds my mice go home cat. really hot humid here my sister is here i got her stuff set up for her. need to work on ac business stuff but not today tomorrow i never have nothing to do i would not even know how that feels yay for that really.

hi rues no blacklist tomorrow did they say in two weeks?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23514 on: June 10, 2021, 06:57:25 PM »

Yes flag unfold refold carefully and give to wife with a bow.  Rifle salute scared a lot.  Taps made me cry.  First time for that.
 Must be because I am getting more sympathetic with losses so close together and now I am older than anyone I know.

lupinelady

« Reply #23515 on: June 11, 2021, 05:47:19 AM »

Good morning everyone-  johoward- so sorry for yor loss. I remember i was quite young when i heard the gun salute- an uncle maybe- don't remember. Really scared me.  Glad you are recuperating so well.

cal- wanted to let you know that Rafa is playing Novak this morning at 10:30 our time. It will be on NBC SN so i'll be able to watch. Who to cheer for??? That is the question. Just want both to be healthy and a good match. All Americans are out of the singles but 2 women on different doubles teams are playing this morning in the semifinals. My absolute favorite- Bethanny Matek-Sands plays second. She is playing with Iga Swiatek who won the singles here last year but lost in the quarterfinals this year. I liked Bethany because she wears knee socks and always has funky colored hair. Plus i've heard her call some matches for ESPN i think. She's very smart and insightful.

Other than tennis it has been pukey hot and humid here. I went out the beginning of the week to weed and dead head. Was only out for a couple hours but it was hot. Headache the rest of the day. Really think this is too early for this weather.  It was 95 yesterday and dry and hot predicted for the next 10 days. Makes me yearn for the mountains.

Have a great day jewelies!

calhound

« Reply #23516 on: June 11, 2021, 06:47:14 AM »

hi joho yes taps always makes me cry even on tv when i dont know the person last year cause of covid on the road with steve hartman he asked everyone to play the taps on memorial day and one man practiced learning it for a year all kinds of people did it all over the usa i cried my eyes out. my dad gun salute my grandpa too i kept a shell from it still have it. yes they folded my dads flag gave it to me.

hi lupe oh thank you for that tennis info!! i will go record it right now so i will not miss any and who to root for why...Rafa that who!!! i know weather is horrible. we would like to live where it is cold all the time. i know no such place.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/70055D52CFB6?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23517 on: June 12, 2021, 06:42:40 AM »

Spanky. Turtle Eggs, Cicadas, Tent Caterpillars - UPDATE June 11, 2021
Spanky with female
Spanky with female

After being absent from the area for a couple weeks, Spanky showed up yesterday with a female.

Seeing 4-year-old Lucy (great great granddaughter of Shadow) with two male cubs a couple days ago, reminded us that last year at about this time (June 9, 2020) she was mating with 3-year-old Wendell, son of Ursula and grandson of Shadow.Doe black muzzle
Doe with black muzzle

Speaking of Lucy, she might have taught us something this year on June 9. She dug up a painted turtle nest where we had watched the mother turtle lay eggs 3 days before. Painted turtle laying eggs
Painted turtle laying eggs
What made it interesting was that Lucy ate egg after egg without leaving a single shell. Usually we see empty shells where a fox has eaten turtle eggs. We don’t know if bears always eat the whole egg or if this was something that just Lucy does. We’ll be watching.

The calmest, most accepting deer we know around here is this doe with a black muzzle. She is the only deer I’ve ever seen with a muzzle like that.

Turtle nest dug up
Turtle nest dug up
With cicadas making news in the eastern United States, people are wondering where all the bears have disappeared to, if they are busy eating these suddenly plentiful insects. I have to say I don’t know because I’ve never studied bears during an outbreak. However, since so many animals and birds do eat cicadas, I suspect these fat insects will be a big part of their diet. I suspect that it will rival the gluttony we saw during tent caterpillar outbreaks. Four-year-old Terri ate 25,192 of them on June 22, 1990. Looking to hear more about bears and cicadas during the outbreak.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23518 on: June 12, 2021, 06:52:34 AM »

hi you guys poor cicadas now bears may eat them. poor turtle laying eggs and thank you lucy.  we had a big storm come thru here yesterday afternoon. jim and justin got the hay up and took it over to justins neighbor she bought it for her horses. i got out the extension cord took it to the barn got it all hooked lights kept going on off huge rain and got some wind but lucky cause excelsior got straight line winds all over all of excelsior out of power hit the golf course and homes so feel lucky here. we did not lose our power either tv was out though. had to google who won frence open.. :(

hi joho i went crazy yesterday had my shoe on went to harps worked in the barn today back in the boot foot pretty swollen they said to gradually get back in my shoe.  sure was nice wearing it. swelling better today but still in the boot. hate this boot i saw on tv a country singer and she was on a scooter like mine and wearing a boot like me she did something to her foot.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/54055D4B9D10?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23519 on: June 12, 2021, 07:25:23 AM »

4:42 best ever I think.  Did not have coffee yet.  Late arrival due to drugs.  Cal Sounds like you are going to be able to get-er-dun after while.  Glad to hear that.  I am not good yet, but getting better.  Therapy is a killer.
One baby chucky.  I was hoping for a little parade of cuteness.  Instead get one almost giant baby.  All other babies doing OK this morning.
Very nice morning here.  69 and sunny.  Will go for a ride somewhere and get some cheese.  Probably go to Grandpa's Cheese Barn in Ashland OH.
But first coffee and cheerios.
I will still wear my mask everywhere just to protect from cold, flu, mono, and whatever else folks are spreading.  Why not?
cul gb