Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 622187 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23085 on: March 04, 2021, 06:06:25 AM »

Daily Updates
Spanky, a New Face, and More - UPDATE March 3, 2021
03 March 2021
 Print Email
Spanky

Today, Spanky began removing his old foot pads, biting and clawing at them as we captured in the beginning of this 3 minute and 20 seconds video. https://youtu.be/mbKgKJaUbso The end of the video is of him playing.Spanky's tongue
Spanky's tongue

Two days ago, Spanky showed us something we had never seen about him—his big tongue hanging far out of the side of his mouth as shown in this 45-second video. https://youtu.be/_LJ88BW0F00 This is the same tongue that he had trouble extending far enough beyond his lips to ingest food like other bears do. How can this be explained? The truth is that I’m not really sure. But let me take a stab at it, guessing that he was born tongue-tied and it took him years to grow out of that like some human babies do as their mouths get bigger and the frenulum grows longer. The frenulum is the cord that stretches from under the tongue to the floor of the mouth and in some individuals is too short or too strong to allow normal tongue movement, i.e., are tongue-tied. After seeing him grow up unable to extend his tongue the usual distance to touch food and pull it into his mouth, we were surprised at the couple inches he could stick his tongue out to lick up his urine a few days ago. We were even more surprised to see his tongue come far out of the side of his mouth as we captured yesterday in the video. We wondered if it was easier for him to have his tongue go sideways than forward. We’ll all keep watching and be glad for the opportunity to learn about this special bear.

Mink Guitar
Mink Guitar
Raccoon
First Raccoon

Out the window a couple days ago on March 1st was the first raccoon of the year—the same day that the first woodchuck was seen. This evening, the raccoon is back. The first one to spot him tonight was Spot the mink who exited in a hurry. She weighs less than two pounds and the raccoon is probably 15 to 20 pounds.

Both Guitar and Spot have been regulars lately with Guitar going to the garage and the shed as if searching for Spot. This is mating season for minks in Minnesota and we believe these two are a male and a female. That makes us hope to see little minks in April or early May.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:08:11 AM by calhound »
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23086 on: March 04, 2021, 06:23:53 AM »

hi jewelies i could not believe it update posted i said before i tried to post it what if it post today. it is 29 here 2 raccoonies looks like spanky found his tongue!

hi rues! so sorry about your tree i know just how you feel you love that tree part of your home. sure birds squirrels lots will miss it too. no so far missy and lindsay have not found scarlette i am so worried now upset too. missys mom put up a 100 dollars reward for her safe return. behind missy house is pasture the other side is the cemetery but houses down the street i am worried about coyottees scarlett mouthy little white poodle like dog very little. i was going to ask if lindsay walked all over looking for her in case she got hit by a car. still hoping she makes it back home our local news said watch out for your dog lots of stealing dogs i hope those kind of people go straight to hell i mean really to hell forever. yes jim will get a shot too. i was going to drive jim promised to not tell how to drive but i know he will then i will get mad so thinking to just let him drive hope he does not cuss everyone on the road. lady told jim there is like 40 people with same appt time as ours. i dont want to take my name off the health dept list till after i get that vaccine.  i saw it said takes 5 weeks for it to be effective. these state like texas just say okay we are clear too go. fools. sure am happy i do not live there but my cousin janice does and matt and renee.yay for robin finding plenty to eat without killing an animal! i also saw next phase on vaccine is grocery workers i think so my jeanne will get hers she works part time at hy vee. which is good cause her job at bank not calling her back till end of this month.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/2B16E2C9EF7?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23087 on: March 04, 2021, 01:01:36 PM »

6:29 I would go to the right I think.  Of course it would depend on time of day.

Nice day here, but did see some big flakes a while ago.

Gonna go have some more of that good chili now and a sandwich too.

Been working on taxes.  Thought I had them done, but got a new corrected 1099 today.  So do over is indicated.  Any change is a big deal, because it changes all the lines that come after.

That Spanky tongue is heroic.  Sounds miraculous to outgrow something that stunted his growth for so long.  God is great.

CUL GB

calihoula

« Reply #23088 on: March 04, 2021, 04:36:12 PM »

3:18 i would go to the left fountain of youth not right fountain of bacon! joho! its 72 here too warm tomorrow high 55 low thirty i would take that every day. good for sleeping good for dogs.  good for utility bills. i got our taxes yesterday did okay happy to pay our cpa to do them i keep track all year of all kinds of stuff put it all together for brad let him do it lots to do! but i use to do ours before we had heating cooling business. yes great for spanky finding his tongue god is great!

hi rues i talked to miss today she put up the 100 reward for scarlette. they looked all over her body not on the road she said animal control does not have her but still no sign of her i put in another 100 so reward now 200 they got signs all over with her pic and reward i know little scar is scared so upsetting i hope she gets home and taken out on a lease. almost blacklist time!
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #23089 on: March 04, 2021, 06:34:24 PM »

rues! miss just called me she has scar! by her house down the road a little are these cruddy apts hud apt and a nancy manages them. she knows miss and her daughters. so bill the maintence man there also knows miss called her told her he saw nancy take scar. miss goes over there with. lindsay and nancy says she gave her to her mom clear up in cameron 35 miles away at these apts miss goes to cameron talks to apt manager and she said yes saw her with scar tells her what apt miss goes there old lady opens the door miss hears scar barking calling her scar tries to run to her old bi*** grabs scar holds her tight says i found her in the yard miss says you are a liar your daughter took her gave her to you she is our dog! miss is big she pried scar out of dog thiefs arm told her she was going to the police. scar micro chip pete knows too she is miss dog she went cameron police station but they said she had to file it in lawson so she is on the road heading back home will stop at the police station. file on both daughter and mom.  she gave the reward to old lady that managed those apt in cameron told them where to find scar miss said old lady cut up scars hair bad but it will grow out. her dad going see about fencing in her yard put up a gate in the house so scar cant zip out the front door anymore. very scary i say dog stealers go straight to hell do not pass go dont collect nothing scar is back home!  :) i told miss god is so good miss said sure is!
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #23090 on: March 05, 2021, 05:51:24 AM »

Daily Updates
March 4, 2021 Ted, Spanky, Spot, Guitar, and a Contest
04 March 2021
 Print Email
Spanky relaxing
Spanky relaxing

Ted
Ted
A couple days ago, I had to go see Ted. As I walked up to his abode, the crust was almost sturdy enough Ted yawn
Ted yawns
to walk on. ‘Almost’ means ‘not really.’ Just when I thought it would hold me, it gave way, which meant a lot of losing my balance and stumbling around. When I got to his pen, I saw that he hadn’t gone for any walks yet but was glad to see a human. He rose up making happy sounds, gave a yawn, and looked at me like he wanted contact. I wanted to break the rules and go close, but saw that that hard crusted snow blocked the gate. I didn’t have to make any decisions about it. Ted’s nice greeting had already made my day, so I “Hi” to him from the fence and obeyed the rules. No other bear was visible.

Today, with good sun and 43 degrees Fahrenheit, Ted took his first walk but found the snow wouldn’t hold his weight any better than it held mine. He explored around a bit and decided to take it easy until the snow was harder or softer. He gingerly walked back to his chalet as is shown in this 2:08-minute video https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmericanBearCenter/videos/367126277590041

Spanky
Spanky taking a walk-about

Spanky also was in a mood for walking today. He took more walks today than I’ve seen him take all winter, but his walks were not in snow. They were 20 foot jaunts from his bed to the edge of the porch to eat snow over and over.

Mink Spot
Mink Spot
Mink Spot
Mink Spot
Mink Guitar
Mink Guitar

At the WRI, the two minks, Spot and Guitar, had no trouble staying on top of the snow as they roamed the area. I never saw them together, but I still suspect they will end together like in the Hallmark TV movies. Brilliant sun made their furry mink coats look luxurious when they stopped by outside my window.

And nowwww, from the Bear Center...

IT’S CONTEST TIME!
Hibernation Contest

Our ambassador bears will be waking from hibernation soon! Everyone will get the chance to guess the date each bear will come out of hibernation & how much they will weigh when they first step on the scale!

PRIZES: We’ll be giving each winner a cool “Take a Walk on the Wild Side” sign.

TO ENTER: Comment your guesses for each bear on this post https://www.facebook.com/NorthAmericanBearCenter/posts/1761784030657946 . Please no editing your entry once you’ve placed your guess.

Sample entry:
Ted- March 10, 500 lbs.
Lucky- March 11, 450 lbs.
Holly- March 12, 300 lbs.
Tasha- March 13, 250 lbs.

TO QUALIFY: Ted, Lucky, Holly, and Tasha must come out of their den for 3 consecutive days and walk in their enclosure. The first of the 3 days will be the official winning date. The official dates will be determined by the North American Bear Center. All entries must be posted by March 14, 2020.

Note: You do not have to guess all 4 dates and weights correctly. For example: A winner could guess Lucky’s correct date, but incorrect weight. That person would win one prize for guessing Lucky’s date correctly. To break a tie, the first person that posts the correct date or weight will win. If no one guesses the correct date or weight, the person with the closest guess will win.

Good Luck!

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23091 on: March 05, 2021, 06:04:03 AM »

hi jewelies it is 42 here 2 raccoonies they come out for jim now he dumps the dog food sometimes i have the cupcakes they run up to me  i got to mail stuff from our taxes certififed mail and hit the feed store nice update today little minks are so cute.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/B616E7D0DD3?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23092 on: March 05, 2021, 06:33:19 AM »

Picture of missys scarlette yorkiepoo

johoward

« Reply #23093 on: March 05, 2021, 12:17:51 PM »

Hi EV1
about 6:45 on piggy.  Went for blood test this morning.  Did not feel a thing. 25 degrees, but sunny. Came home for breakfast.  Just don't feel like stopping in restaurants any more  I used to like stopping after blood test, but no more. I do hate fasting.  Just seems so hard to deprive myself in the morning.
Very nice to see that happy Scarlett, and to hear good news from Cal and Doc.  Hope ya'll Have a good Friday, and a pleasant weekend.
Cal don't forget to go for your shot tomorrow.  Like that could happen. LOL
GTG now GB

ruesgram

« Reply #23094 on: March 05, 2021, 05:48:43 PM »

Cal, what a relief that Scarlett made it home safely! She is so cute! If I ever got another dog it would be a little thing like her! That Nancy is a dog thief and I hope she and her mom get jail time! That's awful to take someone's dog. Horrible people! Nice update pics! Glad to see them here again. Cutest pic of Ted yawning! Looks like Spanky has a long tongue, too.  It was a good thing we had the tree cut down. Turns out the center of the tree was rotting out. Tree trimmer said another big storm with high winds would have caused the tree to split for sure. He came today and chopped out the stump. Our governor will be opening  up all businesses and restaurants to full capacity at midnight. Gyms, museums, retail stores are all included. Masks and social distancing are still required though. Thank goodness he didn't change that. I hope he knows what he is doing. Don't forget Blacklist tonight!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:50:43 PM by ruesgram »

calhound

« Reply #23095 on: March 06, 2021, 05:47:22 AM »

hi jewelies it is oh i dont know cold furnace one 47 in the barn furnace was running when i went out but shut off 2 raccoonies and i got big jelly filled donuts at walmart and boy they really liked those pearl and sweets too. jim was up early went on out to feed pearl he had to run to ford be right back for our vaccines this morning!

hi joho! oh i could forget but jim will not forget i could get busy doing stuff then say oh oh but i wont after i get it i will call the health dept tell them to take me off the list  wish us luck.

hi rues! i know dog stealer why doesnt she adopt her own dog give it a home. at first that nancy at the hud apt told miss she did not take her miss liar i know you did then said the took her to humane shelter in cameron miss said why would you do that not take her right here where is she im calling the police then i gave her to my mom. scar so happy to be home her bbf pixie so happy to see her other dogs too. miss got her hair cut yesterday at her clinic. i did not watch blacklist but got it recorded will watch lit later on this afternoon. hope red is okay. i saw that on your gov i tell you these states that say everything is okay now very upsetting. my cousins in texas still wearing mask and staying apart. cousin janice has been vaccinated. so close to getting this gone then stupid people always stupid out there somewhere. good you got that tree cut rues!! it was time it had a good life. oh i hear my coyottee kitchen dogs. gotta hurry on

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/101701C6CB2?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23096 on: March 06, 2021, 09:26:10 AM »

good morning all.
Good luck today Cal. Took 6:30 on puzzle.  Did not really understand what we are to see.
 Dog thief should be jailed. Rues my Debbie is thinking of adopting too. Not sure yet but looking at the candidates.  She really likes to travel by air.  When covid stops she will go away a lot and does not want a stranded pet yearning for her return.
 I am not able to pet sit for her as I don't walk well enough.  Maybe after covid I will get my knee replaced, and be able to walk again without support.  Then I will care for a pet for her.  That is not on the schedule yet.  I did get hammer toe fixed, and I got cataract surgery and new glasses.  The glasses are not working well.  Hard to read.  Double vision at distance, and give me a headache.  Eye doctor and surgeon say prescription is correct.  Go back again to have glasses adjusted. They gave me a list of their ophthalmologists.  This would be the 5th time including a second complete new frame and lenses. I am discouraged.  It is years since I had decent glasses.  This is the same pattern I went through 10 years ago.  Those old glasses work better than my newest ones.
Oh well.  Be safe.
Nice day here again.  Cool but sunny.
Happy Sat. to all Jewlies old and new.
GB

calhound

« Reply #23097 on: March 06, 2021, 12:53:20 PM »

hi joho! 4:49 on the simon the cat puzzle looks like his owner is putting his food in his dish on the floor and simon got up on the counter and tearing up the container from that food. i hope to get new knees someday too. penny and brownie loudly barking in the kitchen cant think hang on its penny looking out the kitchen window  barking at tims goats horses dogs junk if debbie has no one to watch a little dog while she is gone better to not have one. i need a hammer toe fixed and other toes on my right foot i need lots of repairs thankfully  my eyes are good. hope you get some glasses that work for you when you first put them on they should work if not i would say wrong prescription.  now mr kitty up on my desk pushed my monitor to the edge here raising his butt in the air cant see my monitor man i use to say long ago wish i could work from home have my pets with me. so we drove to carrollton nice ride lots of open land house really really far apart jim said we should of looked for land around here but it is also the bottoms oh penny we get to carrollton and sure enough see natl guard there pointing to the right go right this lady was in front of us and she was sitting there looking confused they were yelling pointing this way so jim went around her and then she followed us. directed us to out place in line had like 4 lines i took two pictures on jims phone get later lots of cars in front of us. some behind us. then they gave us a sheet of paper to fill out jim what is our zip code really jim really trying to fill out mine they never looked at our driver license at all. we had them out but never asked for them. so then they took our papers i asked this lady if she knew where the farm radio station was she sure did and said see over there that lady interview the sheriff yes that is taylor white wow okay thanks  farm was there. then okay shot time that farm lady was a nurse she gave me my shot oh it was not pfizer it was that new one j&j said they got them in oh goody we do not have to go back we are done and they had it so good too. got our shots had to sit for 15 min the group ahead of us got to go then the group right in front of us went then us well had to go past sherrif and give him back this deal they gave up reserved for covid vaccines and jims truck made an awful noise sherriff looking under it jim said i will get over and back it up release gravel out of the er brake sherrif looking at the windshield said okay so we left and it quit making that noise meanwhile that lady was still behind us sticking close to us. we left but we went thru town to see the farm made like a big circle around town lady still behind us we get back where we started but went on straight on the highway lady still with us we get to richmond and went straightthen turned in to mcdonalds and lady still with us but did not turn in mcdonalds she went straight so we got her back. oh they also gave us a card with vaccine record on it. jim going to laminated his at work he is flying in sept for ford will need it. so all done . i saw on news the first vaccine takes 4 weeks to work and second one 5 weeks and ours 6 weeks but we are done really would not of minded having to go back there again nice get the shot in the truck i did not have to get out at all. took no time at when we left it was 9:45 the time of our appt. jim told them they did good natl guard man said not our first rodeo was talking about all the places they they set it all up for us friday we thanked every natl guard we saw for their service.

johoward

« Reply #23098 on: March 06, 2021, 02:19:32 PM »

Good report thanks Cal.  All done. GB

calihoula

« Reply #23099 on: March 06, 2021, 04:07:10 PM »

hi rues! i just watched blacklist you can tell liz is back sorta this show is what the heck im afraid to watch it next week! harold how can you guys possibly arrest liz shoot you have to catch her to do that!