Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 603308 times)

jpalmken

• Another day in which to excel
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 06:46:54 PM »

cal, K-State needs to get their act in gear.  They are behind UCLA 17-0 at the end of the 1st quarter.  I am a graduate of the University of California so I am not rooting for UCLA.

ra

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »

Hi JP!  They cut into the lead a little now, but they need some TD's!!  Go Wildcats!
Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age.
Sometimes, age just shows up by itself.

NW SC USA

jpalmken

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 07:09:52 PM »

Intercepted pass.  OUCH!

ra

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 07:42:45 PM »

There's always the second half, right, JP?
Wisdom doesn't necessarily come with age.
Sometimes, age just shows up by itself.

NW SC USA

obsver446

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2015, 08:08:12 PM »

Rues, the menu you would have if you had one! lol   You guys are wearing me out with your football. Think I'll go read awhile. Sounds like I might have some icky weather coming my way. Get ready for it, rues! Gas is $1.89 here. Pretty soon, they'll be paying me to fill up!!!

jpalmken

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2015, 04:29:51 AM »

Hope.  This picture was taken from the  calendar.  The pictures there are wonderful.  They are large and can not be scanned on my scanner as one picture so I scanned in two passes and merged them.  You can see the merge line so I did not do a great job.  I will have to study up on how to eliminate that line.

I hope all of you are weathering this cold spell.  Heck of a way to start the New Year.  It does not look as if it will get this far down but we may get rain in a few days.

cal, sorry that K-State could not get the win.  They improved and managed to only lose by 5 points.

Today is a blah day but not an ouch day.  Back alone is pretty good.  Body as a whole not too good.  Mind normal (I guess that is good), and so I leave with thoughts that you all have the finest Saturday.  The first one this year.

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2015, 05:46:25 AM »

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

jpalmken

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2015, 07:34:37 AM »

Red-Breasted Nuthatch 3:48.  I did not see a red breast.

obsver446

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2015, 08:20:32 PM »

Cal, we had freezing rain today, and the grass was slick when I went down to the barn to feed the cats at 7 a.m. More tomorrow, snow and dropping temps. Doesn't sound good. Sorry, rues, I have no good weather to pass on. Got an excellent haircut Fri--I reminded him (in a very nice way) how I like the sides.You want to be really nice to a person when he is holding scissors! lol  I haven't printed my pics. yet, and I forgot to take my little camera to show them--had Mr. O take them of my hair last time when it was looking it's best.  Ra, be glad you aren't in Mich. now. It is probably having our bad weather, too. Hi, jp, Dlong, pat, bischue, deb, nora, Willi!! Did anyone watch the Kennedy Center awards this week? The tribute to the singer Al Green was great!!

jpalmken

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2015, 05:01:35 AM »

Sybil, Sophie, and Sam.  Mother Juliet is in the left background.

I had a computer crash but I caused it by hitting the wrong keys, in my hurry.  My Mother always said "haste makes waste".   Anyhow, I will try to reconstruct as much of that lost post as I can.

I feel good this morning.  No problems bodily or mentally.  I do have concern about so many of you in cold, snowy, miserable weather.  Wish I could send some of ours your way.

cal, the wood lily in yesterday's update is beautiful.  Orange is one of my favorite colors but it doesn't appear too much as it is too bright for everything else.  Wasn't that little video of Lily, swinging like a monkey, on that little limb, a funny one.  LOL.  I hope Polly gets her car problem solved soon and with minimal dollar loss.  Downton Abbey tonight.  I had seen K-State play  in earlier games this year and they did not look anywhere near as good as in the earlier ones.  It definitely won't be long before you won't be able to pick Drama up.  Amazing that he has doubled his weight in less than a month.  Thank you for the nuthatch info.  It must have been a female in the puzzle picture.

obsver, You are right.  Always make friends with your barber.  Once those scissors snip it's gone.  Except in my case I do not have to stay friendly because there is so little the barber can mess up with.

Yesterday was a no-post day.  Only Cal and Obsver.  I hope all the rest of you are all right and that you have a comfortable Sunday.

calhound

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2015, 05:23:49 AM »

Snow! - UPDATE January 3, 2015

Red Squirrel in snow
Red Squirrel in snow
Snow began to block Holly?s Den Cam by midnight. A Lily Fan captured the hourly progression as the Den Cam became completely blocked by noon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_84tg2lkiig&feature=youtu.be&hd=1.

White-out in Ely
White-out in Ely
At the WRI at that time, red squirrels were digging down through the snow for sunflower seeds. At 1:06 PM, a snow squall accompanied by wind blowing snow off the big white pines created the densest white-out I?ve ever seen.

This latest storm brought us 7 inches for a total of 9.5 inches of snow on the ground.

The view from Holly's cam
The view from Holly's cam
Now, at 3:45 PM, I?m off to the Bear Center to see if Holly will let me unblock her Den Cam and wipe the smudge off the lens.

Tonight is date-night to see Unbroken that Donna wants to see after hearing the audio book.

Thank you for all you do.

Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

(Addendum) Lynn called to say the gate was locked. He will not be able to clean Holly's lens until Monday.

All photos taken today unless otherwise noted.
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2015, 05:54:46 AM »

jpalmken

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2015, 06:59:14 AM »

ruesgram

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »

Good morning Jewelies!  It's a rainy 610 this morning.  We are waiting for the bad weather to come later this evening when the temps will drop. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 25! By Wed high 18! :o  Robin's plane is due in Pittsburgh at 7:30 this evening. Hope it's on time. I'll have to take a coat for her to wear home because she sure didn't need one where she was! :D  I'll have to record Downton tonight because I know I won't get home in time to see all of it. It's a 2 hr drive one way in good weather   Hoping that's what we get...good weather! I was here yesterday and read the posts and did the puzzle but the day was a blah day for me. I was a Debbie Downer! :(  Better today, thank goodness! But still not Susie Sunshine! I'll work on it. :-\
Cal, yikes you have some nasty weather there! Wish you could stay inside but I know there's no way you can do that! I noticed that Molly's nose is turning so white. She looks old in the face. She's not a spry as she used to be. She'll be 11 in May. I wish our pets  could live forever.   How cool that Dr. Rogers has a date night! It's been a loooong time since I went on a date! :D Hoping they get things worked out and Polly can get her car this week!
Jp, that's another really cute morning greeting! Love Juliet's pic with her kids! Hope you get everything worked  out with the crash!
Obsver, I don't want your bad weather so take it back! :D That's a great idea about taking a pic to the hairdresser!

obsver446

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2015, 04:40:04 PM »

Cal, you are so funny! How about it, rues? Cal may be on to something! Post the tag if you decide to make one!!! lol  No, cal, wind did not get my hair--I ALWAYS wear a warm hat, and Big Tony has been sleeping with his head between our pillows lately and not lying on my head. At church, one of my friends wasn't wearing a warm hat, and another one forgot her gloves. I told them to dress like they had recess duty, and they'd always be warm. You heard it here, Jewelies! Dress like you have recess duty!!!!  I had a light dusting of snow this afternoon, and the wind is blowing pretty hard. Rues, maybe you feel a let-down after the holidays. The weather sure doesn't help, either. Hopefully, Robin's plane will be on time. She might change her mind and go back to Florida!! Hey, ra, how are you doing? Don't worry, I never thought of any student as a failure--just that I hadn't yet found the best method to help them learn. See, there's hope for you! lol  lol  lol   (If anyone has ever called you a failure, I'll come smack them) Really. Jp, you sound like you are feeling better, and I'm thrilled. Keep it up!! Dlong, how about you? Hi, neva, bischue, pat, nora, Willi, chippy, deb!