Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1118686 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #28560 on: June 09, 2024, 05:22:55 AM »

hi you guys its 64 here raining big heavy rain down by susies in kansas tv babies are good kinda sleeping no parent in view not to say they are not close

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/F7055D53BFCE
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28561 on: June 10, 2024, 05:42:37 AM »

hi you guys its i dont know barn is at 62 no update tv cam off line again and joho where are you?

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/23055D553D88?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #28562 on: June 10, 2024, 07:58:45 AM »

6:42 Cool and dry out. 58 degrees at 8:23.
I am here Cal.  Been out touring the lake shore yesterday. Started with a pancake breakfast fund raiser at the 103rd OVI complex in Sheffield Lake , Ohio.  Google it.  Very interesting and unique.
 Got home pretty late, and hit the couch.
Gotta go see the Amish this morning.  I ordered 10 quarts of strawberries for this morning.  I like to freeze them. Joan and I, and several of her girl friends used to make a trek out through Amish Country in the Spring for berries.  There were four of us and each would get 8 or 10 quarts.  So we had a load by the time we went to lunch somewhere.  It was a lot of fun.  Mary Jackson always admonished us all how to clean and dry them with a paper towel.  Then spread them out on a cookie sheet without letting them touch to freeze them.  Then bag them and seal and pop into the freezer.  She had lots of time.  I just wash a quart.  Pull off the little green stems. Put them right into a quart bag and pop the whole bag into the freezer.  Being still wet, they would clump up some in the freezer, but I just bump the bag on the counter. 
I will do this today, and try to show Karen how easy it is tonight after her work and beanbag baseball are finished.  I will save a few quarts to show her how I do it.  Of course I will save a quart for shortcake too.
TV cam still blank.
North babies are stepping out a little further on the branches.
Decorah goose babies have a lot of size to them now, and a lot of company around the pond.
GSB cam is a disappointment to me for first time I can recall.  They will be doing website repair tonight at 10.
Mary and Calum are home.  Debbie is going to their home today at Mary's request.  Mary is not 100 percent yet.  She is weak and dizzy from her new meds due to her gestational high blood pressure which she also had at Bash's birth.  I did not know this.  Calum is an eager eater.  He takes four ounces in a short time.  Mary feels like she needs to limit his intake, because his stomach is only the size of a walnut, and cannot hold that much food.  He does not like being limited, and objects loudly. LOL.
Now I need to get started.  CUL EV1  GBU, Israel, Ukraine, and all who are suffering.

calhound

« Reply #28563 on: June 11, 2024, 05:17:26 AM »

New Bearwalker Documentary Movie - UPDATE June 10, 2024

We need your help!

We are very excited about the new BEARWALKER documentary movie that is in the works by award-winning filmmakers Oak Island Films (Ted Oakes), Merit Motion Pictures and Wish Tree Films. The movie will be an update of the “Bearwalker of the Northwoods” documentary that was produced in 2010. The movie will feature the life of Dr. Lynn Rogers and his 50+ years conducting bear research; it will also aide in the preservation of the media archives associated with Rogers and the study bears. The movie will help create an educational legacy for generations to come so they too can learn the true nature of black bears.

Click to watch video

Or click here to view a PDF

The production team is looking for high-definition video that anyone may have captured showing the wild bears doing something of interest, particularity from those who have taken our bear course in the past. If you have video that you would like to share, please contact Judy Thon for a Dropbox link.

As you can imagine, producing a high-quality movie is very expensive and the team is looking to secure funds in the amount of $250,000. If you are interested in helping to fund this initiative or would like to get more information about the project, please contact Judy Thon. The production team/filmmakers are planning to be in Ely, MN in June to create a trailer for the movie; the trailer/promo will help attract broadcasters and sponsors. They would also be happy to meet with any potential donors at that time. Anyone who makes a donation of $5,000 or more will be listed in the credits at the end of the movie! They currently plan to start shooting the movie in August/September.

If you wish to donate to the production of this documentary, you can make a donation online at:
WRI Donations

or send a check to:
Wildlife Research Institute
1482 Trygg Road
Ely MN 55731

Please make a notation online in the comment section or on your check that the donation is for the Film Fund.

Any funds received beyond the $250,000 target, will be transferred to the WRI’s general fund and be used at their discretion to support the organization. The Wildlife Research Institute is a 501c-3, therefore, your donation will be tax deductible.

We know what these producers are capable of from what they’ve each done over the years. We are looking forward to what they can now do together.

Please contact Judy Thon at: [email protected] if you have any questions about the project.

You can check out the filmmakers
at their websites below:

Oak Island Films
(Ted Oakes)
https://www.oakislandfilms.com

Merit Motion Pictures
https://www.meritmotionpictures.com

Wish Tree Films
(Peter Lown)
https://wishtreefilms.co.uk

Thank you for all you do,
Wildlife Research Institute
Staff and Volunteers

calhound

« Reply #28564 on: June 11, 2024, 05:41:53 AM »

hi you guys its 58 clear here  looking for some big money on update maybe they can get some sponsors

hi joho  i did google that 103 i also read some on sheffield lake sounds like a really nice place. tv cam back on and those kids so big did not see a parent one standing up other laying down sleeping got some wing span going on. sounds like calum likes his food like someone else we know   :) i hope mary gets better.

hi paulie i watched tennis sunday mens final you know rafa my favorite but then i love carlos alcaraz from spain also he puts so much passion in his playing he beat zverev he was ahead then started to mess up come on carlos

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D4055D551CFE?z=0

johoward

« Reply #28565 on: June 11, 2024, 10:18:50 AM »

Boy, those North babies are getting brave. The fluff balls in the loft are getting so cute with their lanky long wings and black triangle faces.
Debbie is taking Odin to see a preschool today.  He told her he is afraid of kindergarten.  I am worried he will have a long hard life in school if he does not get over his fear.  I am praying for him to like learning and playing with others. He is such a sweetheart.  I hate to hear he is afraid of anything.
I been sighing and reminiscing over the old time jukeboxes and soda joints circulating on FB this morning.  Very nostalgic.  Lovely memories for a lot of us.
I finally got some Amish berries yesterday.  Put 7 quarts in my freezer.  It is full.  Took 3 quarts to Karen's house for her to use or keep.  I think she froze one quart and kept he rest to make a pie.  I hope soon.  LOL  Plus we did have a dish of berries with ice cream while watching the end of " Open Range" with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall.  Karen is a hockey fan so we saw the Florida Panthers beat the Edmonton Oilers for the second time in a row.  I can't follow the action in hockey, and never learned the rules.  So I am not much of a fan.
 I do like baseball.  Our team, the Cleveland Indians called Guardians, has been doing very well this season.  I hope they can go the distance.
Was like a Winter day all day yesterday.  I froze.  Today I got dressed, but was still cold.  Had to add a nice warm flannel and long pants.  This is my Winter garb, not Summer.
I will say bye for now.  CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, Ukraine, and all who are suffering.

johoward

« Reply #28566 on: June 11, 2024, 11:04:39 AM »

Sorry I forgot the puzzle.  Took 5:11.  I thought that was pretty good until I saw average was only 3:56.  LOL.
Nice out today, very bright.  I have opened up to let sun warm the house.  Cool out though.  Only 67 degrees at noon. Not sure what I want to do today.  I would like to take Odin fishing or something.  Need to ask Debbie. soon.
Bye for now again.   GBU

calihoula

« Reply #28567 on: June 11, 2024, 01:08:35 PM »

hi joho im sitting at kitchen table all three dogs in beds around my table box fan on high kc royals been playing good too it will always be the cleveland indians! you guys movie sounded good a western? open range i really like robt duvall and his movies i sure do remember my childhood soda fountain it was in a new drugstore rexall had ac too grocery store next to it weavers had wooden floors give you a nickel on return pop bottles then go to rexall buy candy or soda or icecream we me and susie rode our bikes there or rode our horses. our house was across from 1-35 had a catwalk over the highway and also railroad tracks rode our horses on it cars underneath on highway would honk i broke my horse back then way back then that is how well i broke her it did not come without many falls when i moved up here still had her me and jim rode alot she threw me off took off came back stepped on my finger took off like take that we was picking up our horse roxie from clyde our farrier he broke roxie my breaking days was over so clyde got on his roping horse calvin and went and got my little one. my finger broke badly i rode her all the way back never got my finger fixed it is swollen crooked i call it my tuco finger she was the best i bet oden will be okay with school that catwalk i was talking about my first day of kindergarden mom walked me and i howled and scream not walking on that catwalk! see later rode my horse across it. part of being a kid getting scared getting dirty having fun
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #28568 on: June 12, 2024, 05:17:34 AM »

hi you guys its 65 here saw on the local news earlier jury found hunter biden guilty WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — Hunter Biden was convicted Tuesday of all three felony charges related to the purchase of a revolver in 2018 when, prosecutors argued, the president’s son lied on a mandatory gun-purchase form by saying he was not illegally using or addicted to drugs.

Hunter Biden, 54, stared straight ahead and showed little emotion as the verdict was read after jury deliberations that lasted only three hours over two days in Wilmington, Delaware. He hugged his attorneys, smiled wanly and kissed his wife, Melissa, before leaving the courtroom with her.

President Joe Biden said in a statement issued shortly after the verdict that he would accept the outcome and “continue to respect the judicial process as Hunter considers an appeal.

i gotta go get groceries

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/0D055D50BE2B

johoward

« Reply #28569 on: June 12, 2024, 08:38:30 AM »

Took me a long time today.  Maybe 7 minutes.  Don't know lost it.  I was distracted by all the activity in the North nest and in the TV loft.  Activity is still going on. So I will go back there.
Thanks Cal for the dog shame and puzzle and updates.
 I got a email from Judy Thon.  I forwarded it to a lot of my email contacts.  Who knows what they will do.  If each one just reads some of the email or sees one of the videos the bears will benefit.  This new documentary will be wonderful for spreading the word according to Doc who is a hero.
I will cul ev1 GBU and GB Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #28570 on: June 12, 2024, 11:47:48 AM »

hi joho hot here 90 real feel 94 tomorrow real feel 107 sad face here but barn will be cool house too costly but cool i went to harps first cause last week once again walmart pick up phone on recording saying we will be close christmas ? suppose to answer start pu at 7 at 7:20 i called walmart said no one answering phone in groceries then started bringing out stuff had like five other cars waiting too so this time heck with walmart hello harps i was happy to see heidi looking rested she was being manager of produce and bakery she looked so worn out and produce looked kinda crummy so did bakery not like before today bakery deli looked great i saw new people working it and produce looked great! heidi working it she said she knew her limitation only working produce she use to work bakery but likes produce that boss of that store n/c so then walmart and aiden he answered phone right away brought out my stuff i thought hay his braces are off i said are your braces off YES wow your teeth are beautiful! ty should be wore braces for four years wow why cause this tooth not come down had to remove it so now i got an implant tooth oh i know about them! get home unloading ton of stuff go to barn do it back in unload rest let dogs out feed cats didnt i just do that penny at door come on penny flies ac in here heat out there come on cali brownie brownie come on ac now im on a break i got watermelon red green peppers cut up pico de gallo fresh salsa strawberries dessert shells ice cream eating pico and salsa right now
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #28571 on: June 13, 2024, 05:40:13 AM »

hi you guys its 74 here we go under a heat advisory at noon today tv cam off

The tennis tournaments at the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris are scheduled to run from 27 July to 4 August at the Stade Roland Garros,[1] featuring a total of 172 players across five medal events: singles and doubles for both men and women and mixed doubles.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/B3055D5D25A3?z=0

johoward

« Reply #28572 on: June 13, 2024, 11:46:02 PM »

hi ev1 just got a chance to come in.  Did see the babies today, but no bears.
The baby at North are sleeping nearby in the trees.
GN and GBU

calhound

« Reply #28573 on: June 14, 2024, 04:56:07 AM »

ewel, Cubs, a Lucky Orphan, and More Luck - UPDATE June 13, 2024

Little Bear
Today, the good news was that 15-year-old Jewel was sighted with two cubs, her seventh litter. Her last five litters have been three cubs, so we’ll still be looking for more confirmation of her litter size and to get a picture of Jewel proud to show us however many cubs she has.

Little Bear August 2023
Little Bear August 2023

A couple days ago, I felt lucky and grateful for the top notch film team that very much wants to create an educational film about what black bears are really like and about the local community that learned that truth beginning in 1958 (new date information). The community continues to practice its peaceful coexistence today and is known for its LACK of bear problems. DNR records show the community to have 80% fewer complaints per bear than the statewide average. This is the community that has enabled us to learn so much about bear/human coexistence and black bear ways and needs since I shifted my research project to the current location in 1996. These very experienced filmmakers are totally dedicated to creating a film that will make a difference for bears. To do that, they brought more camera equipment than any film team I’ve ever worked with, and I saw great skill and experience in their methods. Over the next few months they will be raising the wherewithal that will determine the film’s length and depth.

A bit that I saw the team film was an orphan male cub that appeared at the edge of the community last August 20. No one had seen him before or had any idea of where he came from and why he was a orphan. All I know is that he was a lucky little bear to have found the best place in the world for him. In this nature-loving community, a couple saw his plight, used the bear formula that is on the WRI website, and got him ready for hibernation. He disappeared on September 21 but reappeared this spring, and the couple continued their care as an example of what this community is like. So far, the couple refer to him as “Little Bear.” They have not yet decided what to call him if he grows up in the area.

Snapping Turtle
Snapping Turtle

On another note, a snapping turtle let us know it is egg-laying time here as she walked through vegetation a quarter mile from the nearest water. The picture shows her extending her left foot with its big claws as she pulled herself through the vegetation.

I look forward to what the film will teach and how it will help bears. I’m also looking forward to seeing Jewel and her cubs myself.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #28574 on: June 14, 2024, 05:15:45 AM »

hi you guys its 69 here rained thru the night just now letting up love the update and yes little bear found himself the place to be maybe more places and people will do that yesterday afternoon about 2 pm i was in the barn and back by indy and we heard loud cooing noise i knew it was a baby raccoonie first one this year then i heard it howling and crying loud so i went up front mom was eating dog food i put in the pans and baby was screaming scared on top of hay mom left her food and went up there to get it i went back by indy and then did not hear it went back up front it was by its mom in dog food pan then jim came in and mom and baby went back in tunnel. he left mom came back out baby still inside that tunnel that leads to the back wall in barn and then if you go down to the hidey hole in and out of the barn. i know the baby was overwhelm being in the barn. radio playing ac kicking on blowing out tons of cold air all the stuff inside the barn but later these same noises and thing will bring comfort they will know they will have food water shelter from the weather inside. i was sad this morning did not see the baby when i came out i heard coyotes so i worry and got a couple of men drive their trucks like its a speed way in front of our house and jims shop. makes jim mad he has pulled out in front of them more than once lots of house along here now and people have pets kids on up the road no reason to drive like that.

hi joho hi alice

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/46055D522E70?z=0