Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1115842 times)

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #28590 on: June 17, 2024, 02:53:19 PM »

Deborah Victoriana
Yesterday at 2:37 PM  ·
"After the fall of the Decorah North nest"
First the parents are seen and then DN17 is seen on the tree she/he flew to when the nest fell.
The camera looks for DN18 and she/he was found on the ground.  DN18 has a bit of a rough time.  Walks on the grass.  Rested on a branch.  Tries to fly, but is too sopping wet from the rain.
Then is found on another branch, where Mom (DNF) brings food.
In the video you'll see the platform that the nest was on, on the cracked branch.
Now I just hope the babies don't come back to what they knew as home and stay on the platform thinking food will be brought there or even just rest/wingersize.  That branch can fall any time and just because they fly doesn't mean they're not in danger.
Hey, you 4!  If you only knew how much you're loved and thankful you're alive! ❤❤❤❤ 
6/16/2024
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28592 on: June 18, 2024, 05:17:25 AM »

hi you guys its 77 here 72 in the barn 69 in the house saw on the weather channel  SNOW is falling in many portions of western Montana impacting Big Hole Pass, Georgetown Lake and Rogers Pass. Take it easy, and drive carefully 🚗❄️ how cool
rogers pass

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/F3055D510203
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #28593 on: June 18, 2024, 10:20:03 AM »

4:54 Wow! Great time for me. Thank you mouse.
Too hot around here for me.  The boys are hot too.  They want to stay in Debbie's AC with Bash.  So I will gladly stay in too.
Did not see Karen yesterday, and did not make a plan for today either.  Boy's were to go with me today at 9:30, but canceled at 7 am.  So I will stay home on the computer today where it is comfortable.
I will probably eat too much.  Seems I can't stop thinking about food this morning.
I do have a 4 o'clock  to hear from our local park biologist about birds of pray.  Should be nice.  It will be inside a cool hall.
Now I will start cooking something for lunch.  Probably soup and sandwich.  I may fry some Spam.  I bought it for an experiment to see if it still tastes as good I remember when my Mom made it.
It is very nice that the North Camera did not fall down.  Letting us still keep up with our two eagle babies. The TV babies are looking good this morning.  I like seeing them start to walk around.  I hope the nice person who runs the camera will be able to follow them for us this Summer.
 Bye for now my friends.  GBU, Israel, Ukraine and all who are suffering.

calihoula

« Reply #28594 on: June 18, 2024, 11:58:20 AM »

Raptor Resource Project
  ·
We're getting a lot of questions about fledglings DN17 and DN18. While the North nest's fall was pretty dramatic, it's not that uncommon for nests to fall. I can think of two others this spring off the top of my head: the Denton Homes nest in Des Moines, Iowa, which were taken in by Iowa Bird Rehabilitation, and an offline nest in Brownsville, MN that we monitored. In both cases, the adults reunited with their young and the young fledged successfully. Eagles are very adaptable, which makes them well-prepared for life's many uncertainties: DN17 and DN18 are learning about life beyond the nest more abruptly than we are used to, but both are doing well! We've seen them flying, eating (Mr. North and DNF are continuing to commandeer their flying fish wagons), perching on logs and tree branches, and getting into food fights - all important lessons in Eagle Outdoor School. Monitoring the family via camera is the least invasive thing we can do, which also makes it the best thing we can do!
We're also getting a lot of questions about our plans for the North nest. We'll have a better idea in another month or two, but we plan to survey the area for a potential starter nest once the eaglets are really on the wing and moving around a bit more. Our transmitter studies showed us that most eaglets didn't venture more than a mile beyond the nest for their first month post-fledge. So it's extremely unlikely we'll enter the area before our After the Fledge party in mid-July unless there is some kind of emergency. We can start looking at our options after that, but in the meantime, we'll keep following the eaglets and keeping everyone updated on their activities!
In other news, the kestrels have fledged and we have a new peregrine falcon cam in a natural rock eyrie nest on Castle Rock, which is located across the Big River from Winona, MN. That eyrie can be watched here: https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/castle-rock-falcons/
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #28595 on: June 18, 2024, 12:00:15 PM »

raptorresource.org/birdcams/castle-rock-falcons/
Decorah North Nest
June 17, 2024: Mr. delivers food on the ground, food fight -  https://youtu.be/W-QdtuPRDLU?si=ru5Wffu9YPjaDoG1. With the nest fallen, DN17 and DN18 are having to make a very abrupt transition to life beyond the nest! Mr. North and DNF are continuing to care for them and the two are learning all of lessons of outdoor eagle school!
June 17, 2024: DN18 isn't quite proficient at eating on branches yet - https://youtu.be/1P2nWLfpOXE?si=RPURTE2Fk-V1scJj. Speaking of outdoor school, here's an important lesson: eating on branches! DN18 is working on it, but it's hard to unzip a fish and keep it from falling at the same time!
Tulsa has a longer look at this sequence, including shots below the nest and DNF's fish delivery, here: https://youtu.be/UiXZVjke14g?si=0iDfCDPpNThRIaM8.
June 17, 2024: Splish-splash DN17 and DN18 take a bath - https://youtu.be/rI6FGwH8V-E?si=qUVs5_WjJrOHFMPG. Nothing like a clear cool stream to wash your cares away! The eaglets clean off and perch on the fallen log: an easy place to reach and possibly a reminder of home.
Back when we were putting transmitters on the Decorah Eagles, we noticed that they seemed attracted to mulch piles. We thought the large, woody, often circular piles resembled a nest. Eaglets also seem attracted to low branches and logs as they learn to fly, perch, and prepare their own food. Low perches keep them out of the wet grass and give them better vantage points/sightlines than perching on the ground.
June 16, 2024: Views of the fallen nest with starter platform - https://youtu.be/VVyHch92ozw?si=qvygtnjuRkk3p60i. The Decorah North nest fell in August of 2018, although it left the tree and branches intact. We built a starter nest in September 2018 and Mr. North and DNF - Mr. North's second mate - quickly adopted it. This video shows the wooden framework we used to support our rebuild, the broken limb, and the pile of branches beneath the tree. We are considering next steps, including building another starter nest for Mr. North and DNF.

calihoula

« Reply #28596 on: June 18, 2024, 12:05:27 PM »

hi joho very hot humid here too went to pick up groceries early walked harps on a short break jim justin doing hay in front field did indys pasture yesterday got lots of square bales all done put inside that enclosed trailer we bought last year now they are doing big round bales i think jims new tractor doing good justin old tractor doing good scout and his tvs watching them

johoward

« Reply #28597 on: June 18, 2024, 08:08:21 PM »

Hey!  There is a racoon and a porcupine on the Snowman table.

johoward

« Reply #28598 on: June 18, 2024, 08:12:51 PM »

Racoon came down.  Went for a drink in the pond.  Then came back, and is behind the snowman.

johoward

« Reply #28599 on: June 18, 2024, 08:43:54 PM »

A second racoon showed up and confronted the first one on the ladder.  Then a car came by and both racoons ran away.  The porcupine did not even look up.  Now it is getting dark and the porcky and one coon are trying to finish up the corn.  They are approaching each other a little tensely.

johoward

« Reply #28600 on: June 18, 2024, 11:39:15 PM »

Wow1 It's 12:37.  The porcupine is still eating on the Snowman table.  I am off to bed now, right after The After Midnight Show. So GN and GBU my friends.

calhound

« Reply #28601 on: June 19, 2024, 05:24:02 AM »

hi you guys its 75 here rain on an off big rain bad weather in ely marge said

hi joho good they are throwing out corn again at snows place good porky was there and a raccoonie hard to fill up a raccoonies their guts are bottomless pits yesterday afternoon i came in from the barn was sitting at the kitchen table getting a drink of pop jim came in said ryan is here i thought he meant ryan mellon  i got up and looked over the gate the girls were barking growling like crazy and it was my ryan nephew boobies son. his ac blower motor was sick no ac and his kids were saying to him dad its hot dad its hot dad dad dad so for the first time he came up here. we took the gator ryan driving and drove all over our land justin was putting up big bales using jims new tractor we ended up at the barn and ryan went in and saw indy he said wow it feels good in here he did not pet indy indy is known for nibbling he thought he was a baby no ryan he is just small mule not small to you but he is to me  nephew is so tall! little over 300 lbs so he got his blower fixed with uncle jims help and got home and put it back in and blowing out cold air he said would take a while to cool it down but now they have ac he would like to do that for a living jim said come back and we will go fishin what ryan does not care about that at all and ryan told him that he would play video games with me again but no fishin. i have 9 raccoonies out there this morning  when they start bringing their kids i will need to start a go fund for raccoonie cookies and dog food

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/26055D4CA9FB

johoward

« Reply #28602 on: June 19, 2024, 08:29:54 AM »

5:02 Not too shabby.
Hot again here.  storms did not cool off much.  Rain was hard several times yesterday, but quickly dried up.  Grass is crispy.  May have to turn on sprinkler system.  Which I do not like.
Did not see Karen, or anybody, yesterday.  Did go to the lodge for bird talk.  Not much new knowledge for me, but you could tell by the questions that others had a lot to learn.  i mean the usual questions about birds of prey getting dogs and children, etc.  Also, what to do with babies found without parents.  Mostly watch from a distance for a while to assess parental awareness and care.  Then call a professional for help.  BTW the speaker had a baby Kestrel with her which she was feeding every hour or two around the clock.  Was interesting, and nice and cool.  No one was in a hurry to leave the hall. 
OK I will say CUL EV1.  GBU, Israel, Ukraine and all who are suffering.

calhound

« Reply #28603 on: June 20, 2024, 05:06:40 AM »

hi you guys its 72 here was rainy but i think now cloudy its humid today is the first day of summer so now everyday will head toward fall and winter   :) i saw on the world news david muir showing putin at north korea with rocket man hugging smiles now that was a scary scene. said nato watching i think everyone watching its good versus evil  come on good also saw men rescued a baby moose  https://youtu.be/JvER640vZX4?si=mhviMgUCb87jY88-

there was a whole of good there    :)

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/81055D53DB0B?z=0

calhound

« Reply #28604 on: June 20, 2024, 05:07:36 AM »

tv cam showing a couple of really big tv babies  good they have two so they have each other