Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1118539 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #28575 on: June 14, 2024, 07:41:26 AM »

Thanks Cal for posting.  Will do puzzle later.  Going to do a bus ride this morning with seniors to Sandusky.
 Had a good day with Odin yesterday.  No fish, but lots of quality time with him.  He is pretty mature for his tender years.  All day he reminded me we had to get back by 4 for his haircut appointment.  We were back at three. LOL  Was a great day. 
No TV Cam.  Baby eagles are out and about.  Soon they will find their own food, and won't need mom and dad.
Now I GTG CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, Ukraine, and all who are suffering.

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #28576 on: June 15, 2024, 04:54:19 AM »

hi you guys its 68 68 in the barn still no tv cam

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/32055D5D7203?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #28577 on: June 15, 2024, 08:02:44 AM »

6:13 Looks good to me. 
Karen and I had a nice bus ride to Sandusky.  We saw the carousel museum there.  Where Bonnie's brother in law works on the horses.  He is an artist.  The horses and other animals are carved out of huge blocks of wood of various types with chisels and mallets.  Usually a softer wood is used.  We saw several stages of creation.  Then we rode the carousel for a while.  The history was quite interesting.
 We then went or Frisch's Big Boy for a lunch.  It was reminiscent of my high school dates, which always included a Big Boy sandwich.  The taste was very familiar and good.  The restaurant was in Port Clinton on the edge of Lake Erie.  You could easily smell the shore, and we could see the Davis- Besse Nuclear reactor cooling tower across the water.  My brother took me on a student tour of this nuclear facility a few years ago.  It was facinating.
Then we went to The Blue Hole in Castalia Ohio.  We saw from the bus window lots of large trout in the shallow streams alongside the driveway.  The Blue Hole was a disappointment to most of our group, but not to me.  I could see and appreciate the rareness of this constant extremely deep natural spring.  It was shaped like a figure eight.  The upper ball was deeper and about 40 feet across.  The lower ball was deep, but a little less so, and about 60 or 70 feet across.  There was a constant stream of very clear water flowing out the small creek at the spring's exit point toward the enormous state fish hatchery and compound.  The deep areas did a blue cast to the water. 
There are thousands of trout and salmon fry raised here every year.  We could not see any.  Other fish hatcheries I have visited are a great deal more visitor friendly than this one. I especially like the ones in PA.  Still it was a nice day away for us all.
Ok Now I need gas.  So I better get going.  Not sure what I will do today.  Thinking of joining a birding tour in Ashland Ohio with the Audubon society.  It just started at nine o'clock, and I am still here so maybe not. LOL
CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, Ukraine, and all in need.

calhound

« Reply #28578 on: June 15, 2024, 12:12:18 PM »

hi joho you and karen had a fun filled time! how cool the carousel museum i would love that too!  i would like to go bird watching have fun well if you make it if not you will find something else to do tv cam back on
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #28579 on: June 16, 2024, 05:00:13 AM »

hi you guys its hot and humid 79 and its 72 in the barn ac running i watched an episode of house hunters internally yesterday had it recorded it was in Reykjavík iceland which right now its sunny and 50 so it was pretty neat seeing that place and all the colorful houses and roofs people from detroit mi had three children two boys one girl sold their home car it was the wife that wanted to see about living there. he got a job she did not get another job staying home with kids rent was high they had 2800 a month for rent but got a nice apt lots of room for about that. showed kids riding the icelantic ponies horses looked like big ponies saying they cant leave iceland and come back you take a pony it cant come back.The Icelandic horse, or Icelandic, is a breed of horse developed in Iceland. Although the horses are smaller compared to other breeds, most registries for the Icelandic refer to it as a horse. The breed is long-lived and hardy, owing to the ruggedness of their home country  so pretty cool seeing them horses justin cut hay field that is behind indys pasture. looked good not seen it mowed in awhile he broke something on his tractor and jim said he had to get out his new tractor i am not sure why justin used his in the first place and not use jims new one. what it was bought for. farm on the radio in the barn said no rain but i see our local news saying could be this morning   :(

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/99055D4F97A6?z=0
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 06:58:39 AM by calhound »

calhound

« Reply #28580 on: June 16, 2024, 07:07:49 AM »

Happy Fathers Day!

me and my dad

at my grandpa and dad gas station my dad grandpa two men that worked there and dads beloved Tippy dog
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 12:34:21 PM by calhound »

johoward

« Reply #28581 on: June 16, 2024, 09:42:26 AM »

HI ev1.  WILL BE HAVING A SHORT COOK OUT AT Mary's HOUSE TODAY AT 3.  THEN GOING TO A CONCERT IN THE PARK AT MILL HOLLOW RESERVATION AT 6 WITH KAREN. MAY TRY OUT SOME FISHING IN THE MEAN TIME.
DID A LOT OF DRIVING YESTERDAY.  DID SOME FISHING TOO IN ASHLAND COUNTY PARK CALLED BYERS WOODS. JUST FISHING.  NO CATCHING. LOL
 BEAUTIFUL ROLLING HILLS SCENERY AROUND THERE.  LOTS OF GREAT LITTLE TWP AND COUNTY ROADS.  VERY NICE RIDE IN THE COUNTRY.
WELL i WILL SAY SO LONG FOR NOW.  CUL EV1  GBU, Israel, Ukraine, and all who are suffering.
PS did the puzzle.  Forget the time.  It was long.  I think 7 minutes. 
Also want report the TV cam is on and babies are strting to walk around.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 09:46:36 AM by johoward »

calihoula

« Reply #28582 on: June 16, 2024, 02:17:32 PM »

joho sue posted this also video showing that nest falling it was awful they are okay
Decorah Eagles - Sue Bruhling
  ·
BREAKING NEWS!
THE DECORAH NORTH NEST HAS FALLEN TO THE GROUND! DN17 & DN18 HAVE BOTH BEEN FOUND AND APPEARS TO BE OKAY.
DECORAH  NORTH EAGLES- JUNE 16, 2024
THANK YOU! MLiz Photos  for sharing your Video with us

« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 02:20:26 PM by calihoula »
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #28583 on: June 16, 2024, 02:19:45 PM »

I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #28584 on: June 16, 2024, 05:20:21 PM »

Raptor Resource Project
  ·
We are sad to report that the Decorah North nest came down this morning after heavy rain added weight to the nest tree branches.  The nest tree support branches had been deteriorating and it was just a matter of time before something happened. 
We are thankful that DN17 and DN18 both survived and, although it looked like DN18 (perched to the right), could have been in the mix of branches coming down, DN18 is looking good, navigating through the wet grass and being discovered by cattle.  DN17 remained in the air through the event and is also looking good.  We hope for a normal post-fledge development stage in the coming weeks for DN17 and DN18.  We will be monitoring them by camera and boots on the ground as necessary.
It is too soon to tell what our plan is for any nest work since the tree is in the slow process of dying.  We will be developing a plan in the coming weeks.  Until then, we are looking forward to some extended time with Mr. North, DNF, and our two precious eaglets!

calhound

« Reply #28585 on: June 17, 2024, 04:54:56 AM »

Lily, her cubs, and good times - UPDATE June 16, 2024

Lily with 4 cubs
Two days ago, a trail camera caught Lily and her four cubs arriving at a house with bear-hearted people who had been waiting for her. And they were again happy to see her the next morning shortly after sunrise, making us all feel that the world was right to have Lily and her family back in the fold.

Bald eagle pair
Bald eagle pair

Bald eagle nest holding 2 young
Bald eagle nest holding 2 young
Yesterday, Judy and Carolyn told me it was time to move the pontoon to the easy access dock we use during the courses that will be starting in about three weeks. On the way, Carolyn was excited to be on the pontoon boat for the first time and asked if we could take the long way. Carolyn was a policeman in her other life, so I pretty much do what she says. We showed her where Lily gave birth to Hope in 2010, and we passed the eagle nest to see how many young heads were sticking up. Two young heads briefly were seen but not when a camera was ready. We’ll be seeing how they’re doing on every pontoon ride this summer. Looking for their parents, they were nearby resting together in the top of a white pine.

Mallard w/8 ducklings
Mallard with 8 ducklings

As we approached our dock destination, we saw two mallard mothers with ducklings near the shore with the ducklings grabbing leaves to eat. Then came a sight that was new. In a spot where the water was reflecting a dark shoreline, eight ducklings looked like jewels against the dark water. The white spots on the water are fuzzy windblown bigtooth aspen (Populus grandidentata) seeds that did not make it to moist soil where they could germinate.

WRI drone shot
WRI drone shot

Yesterday afternoon, my old friend Mark Peterson stopped by with a new toy—an amazing drone that he had take the picture of Woods Lake in the foreground, the WRI cabin on the hill, and Eagles Nest Lakes One and Three in the background.

Juveniles play fighting
Juveniles play fighting

Today, outside my desk window, two juvenile males ended their day with a friendly, quiet play-fight in which they take each other down and made quick movements pretending to bite but without any power. As I’ve mentioned before, Gerry Bear showed me how it is done, taking me down, biting lightly, but never breaking my skin which is not a tough as bear skin. When I’d had enough roughhousing, I’d put my arm in her mouth to stop her strong efforts to control me. I knew she wouldn’t bite hard. I’d grab her forearm, roll her on her back, and rub her belly; which put her in a different mood. Gerry is the only bear that ever did that with me. The bears we walked with on our 24-hour observation periods did not look at us like that. They seemed to regard an observer as not much more than an inconsequential presence to be ignored as they went about their lives. Gerry was different because she’d been abandoned in Michigan when she was about six weeks old. A caring caretaker then bottle-fed her and cuddled her during her critical socialization period from 6 to 12 weeks of age. When the plane from the Michigan DNR landed on April 7, 1989, the official opened the door, and she came bouncing out to begin smelling the shoes of the dozen people who were there to meet her. I wondered if she was looking for her caretaker. When she got to me, I got down on my hands and knees and greeted her like a bear, touching noses. She hadn’t found her caretaker, but it was a moment that bonded us for life. She leaped forward, put her arms around my neck and clung to me like that as I drove her, snowmobiled her, and snowshoed her to the wild mother who would adopt her. Good memories that I look forward to reliving as I write the chapter on her for the book.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #28586 on: June 17, 2024, 05:02:27 AM »

hi you guys its 75 here be hot and humid again today nice to see lily with her 4 kids and really nice people waiting for them helping out. why cant everyone do that. such pretty country up there eagle nest is big makes me think of that nest that went down and the whole tree is dying off. hope those juvies will okay. hope rrp can help rebuild them a new home. be like state farm help them out too much rain all over my cousin lives in miami fl said real mess there

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/86055D5C7CF9?z=0

johoward

« Reply #28587 on: June 17, 2024, 08:22:48 AM »

6:03  Had a nice Fathers day. Then went to a concert in the park.  Music and weather were very good. Nick called me at about 10:30.  We decided to go fishing this morning while Odin is at his preschool.  I hope Odin doesn't mind not going.  We will go another time for him.
Now I GTG.  BYE! GBU

calihoula

« Reply #28588 on: June 17, 2024, 02:34:26 PM »

Decorah Eagles - Sue Bruhling
  ·
Debbie got a picture of DN17 with a Fish perched on one of the Nest Tree Braches! 🙂 
So Don't worry! Mr. North and DNF are making sure they are getting food! They also will teach them a lot of things that they will take with them and use their whole lifetime now that they have fledged! 🙂
Decorah North Eagles - June 17, 2024
Thank You! Debbie Botelho for sharing your update and Picture with us! ❤
But she did get quite a few bites before it dropped ❤
Then a while later a Parnet must have brought them food in the grass, or found something there, because you could see the Parnet taking off, and both Babies look like they are eating something

calihoula

« Reply #28589 on: June 17, 2024, 02:34:45 PM »