Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1120964 times)

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27720 on: November 27, 2023, 01:09:35 PM »

i went back in the barn raccoonie ate that little cake got a drink i put my flannel jacket out there by her earlier she was sitting up looking sleepy i went back to indy maybe came back raccoonie curled up on my jacket tail wrapped around her sound asleep i googled this

Raccoons do not hibernate.  When the weather gets frigid, they do enter a a dormacy state called torpor. During this time, raccoons slow their metabolism and, in their dens, fall asleep with their tails wrapped around them for warmth. Unlike hibernation, it only lasts a few weeks.

that is just how she is acting very cold here lots of snow ice underneath tonight even colder 15 and tomorrow and tomorrow night then start to warm up hidey hole covered in snow
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #27721 on: November 27, 2023, 05:29:27 PM »

i was out in the barn my last time for today jim goes out around 7:30 or 8:00pm raccoonie still eating dozing i said where is your friend always two of them i looked there was her friend down by pans so i went back by indy doing chores sitting on hay back there feeding him cookies maybe on my lap but she heard something  i went back up front no raccoonies! i was so upset she cant travel she still gets sleepy fast eat drink sleep maybe came up and got on the hay over to side many tunnels in all that hay in there i got my flashlight looked in a tunnel there they was ty god! actually pretty warm place to be i told jim to check on them when he goes out i asked god to please keep them safe and in the barn.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #27722 on: November 28, 2023, 02:52:30 AM »

Cal    Thanks for the Birthday wishes today.  The biggest surprised today was my daughter Susan (Wyoming) called me and we had a nice, long chatty talk - really enjoyable.  A couple of hours later, we heard something out front and answered the door, and in  walks Susan and Jon.  What a surprise!

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #27723 on: November 28, 2023, 05:06:04 AM »

hi you guys its 18 here 34 in ice 33 in kviv and 50 in the barn  my raccoonies the two of them in the barn they were following maybe around on top of the hay and she was not liking that. i tossed out cookies and they forgot her went for cookies still lots of dry dog food in the pans

hi neva! what a surprise!!! How fun. what a great birthday you are having!!   :)

hi joho did debbie go with you for drive thru show?

i got to pick up groceries so need to finish feeding the dogs and head out

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A6055D55DF93?z=0

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27724 on: November 29, 2023, 05:26:10 AM »

hi you guys its 30 here 39 in ice 31 in kviv and 50 in the barn

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/FF055D56685C?z=0

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27725 on: November 29, 2023, 06:36:59 AM »

5:23 Hi EV1. Busy doing nothing all day yesterday.  Did not go for mail until after 5 last night.  Shoveled lots of snow to prevent icing up drive way on way to mailbox.  Then watched tv all day. The only thing I did as usual was eat.
Happy Birthday to you Neva.  Ours is coming Cal.  Can you wait? Are you excited about it?  I am hoping for some replacement flannel shirts.  Size XXL.  Mine somehow got tighter around the belly.  Must have shrunk.  One, my favorite, really makes a statement for modern dress by being so threadbare at the elbows and really all over except the back.  It does a good job too by sticking the ragtag tails out from below my jackets.  I have perfected the hobo look with this shirt.  I tried to send a picture of it to my relatives, but it did not work.  I may try again.  I am sure they will take the hint.
Did not go to see lights yet.  I asked two friends to go, but they were too busy.  I will ask Debbie soon for tonight.  She was busy last night going to yoga.
Now coffee is cooing and cereal is in the bowl.  So CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, and Ukraine.

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cu
« Reply #27726 on: November 29, 2023, 01:10:54 PM »

hi joho!  i am on a break came in from barn feed dogs at 1:30 half hour from now watching last of local news awhile bavk travis kelce bought  six million dollar mansion in ks gated community by patrick some said for him and taylor news just said moving trucks bringing in her stuff she is on a holiday break from her tour. and best news men used a crane rescued a deer caught on frozen lake in colorado. joho so funny your flannel shirt shrank i too have that hobo look i love that look. i always get a flannel shirt from jims dad. all i want just that one shirt i want it xl so it is real roomy with front big pocket for cookies two pockets is great at first drove his dad nuts trying to find one just right he shops at dillards i do not my dad shopped at western auto. i hope your family gets the hint you could just say hay new flannel shirt here please.  i checked my email alice i read your message i am going to put it here since you said tell joho...... That he needs one of MY tee shirts (I also have a refrigerator magnet with the same saying on it) ... "Sometimes it takes me all day to get nothing done!"
Oh wait, I guess if he's   for new XXL flannel shirts, mine might not fit him! He keeps on having a good sense of humor, which I think is a huge PLUS.

That's a slogan that definitely YOU can't go by ... you're so busy all day/every day!

Sunshine and No wind here today.  Snow on the ground since Sunday morning.  Enough for Craig and Jenni to shovel my driveway so the next day the Meals on Wheels delivery and the mailman can get up the driveway (and for the mailman to bring more things for me to put in recycling!!)

Hugz and hugz dear gal, dear Cal ... oxox

neva

« Reply #27727 on: November 29, 2023, 04:23:01 PM »

Lone Wildebeest ... 32:55    71°  Mostly Sunny, no breeze yet.

I hope all is well with everyone.  I'm doing okay here.

Cal     I found out that my daughter, that just came down here, and her hubby are looking into the possibility of moving to Arizona to a retirement community north of here.  They are really tired of the winters in Wyoming.   Yippee!   The plan is to go up to Wyoming for a couple months or so, each summer when it is so hot down here.  Sort of a reverse snowbird thing. 

Joho      Thanks for the birthday wish.  It was a good day.   I haven't thought of flannel shirts in a long while, I used to love them as a kid.  I love plaids.  i should get myself a couple.   
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #27728 on: November 30, 2023, 05:00:52 AM »

hi you guys its 44 here 31 in ice and 32 in kviv and 50 in the barn.

hi neva i think that is great plan of your snowbirds!! how perfect leave the awful heat go where it is cooler and then reverse that.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/E8055D59591F?z=0

calhound

« Reply #27729 on: November 30, 2023, 10:25:38 AM »

A Memory of Dot from April 2003 - UPDATE November 29, 2023

Dot at den 4-8-2003
Monday, when Donna and I were visiting Colleen’s family in Minneapolis, I got a call that Pondchat moderator Lisa had posted this memory. I immediately knew I wanted to share it in an update. Dot is Shadow’s granddaughter born to Blackheart in January 2003. Little Dot and her littermate Donna each developed a special trust as Doug Hajicek filmed in ‘The Man Who Walks With Bears.’ One of the discoveries Dot made possible was this revelation of how she and her cubs Cinder and Trueheart lost body heat from different parts of their bodies in their den. This memory grew out of a phone call from the BBC as is told below.

Heat Loss in Dens
In 2003, the BBC phoned researchers for help with a documentary using new thermal imaging technology. The telephone conversation sounded something like:

Thermal imagingBBC: “We’re looking for someone dumb enough to try putting tiny cameras under a mother black bear with cubs in a den. Do you have such a person?”

Researcher: “Will it have educational value that we can use at the Bear Center someday?

BBC: “Yes. One of the cameras will make the very first thermal images of heat loss patterns in dens.”

Thermal imagingResearcher: “We have just the person.”
In the first week of February, the BBC and the researcher went to the den of 3-year-old Dot. The researcher crawled into the den, showed Dot the camera, and gently eased it underneath her, revealing cubs less than 2 weeks old.

The camera was connected by cable to a monitor 30 feet away. A BBC producer watched the monitor and told the researcher where to aim the camera—up, left, hold steady, etc.

Thermal n early April, the team filmed the bears again shortly before they emerged. At one point, the researcher momentarily stepped away from the den during a blizzard and returned covered with snow. When he started to enter the den, the mother didn’t recognize him and lunged. The researcher spoke and offered his hand for her to smell. The nervous mother relaxed, lay back down, and even lifted a leg as he put the camera under her again.

Narrated by David Attenborough, the documentary shows heat loss to be especially great from the eyeballs, nose, and forehead. This helps explain why bears tuck those parts under the chest when they curl up on their stomach in the hibernating position. The main area exposed is the thickly furred back.

Thank you Lisa for reminding me of this. It felt good when Dot showed me her trust that led to results that David Attenborough showed the world and we now show in the North American Bear Center.

And thank you all for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Cente

johoward

« Reply #27730 on: November 30, 2023, 10:49:15 AM »

6:24  Got up at a decent time this morning.  Coffee and cereal and paper all done. Maybe I will put out a request in writing for some new flannel. I know at least four people who will surely get me one. if I ask.  I  sent out texts today.  So they have plenty of time to shop.
Now it is almost time for lunch. I started this message a couple of hours ago. LOL
Then took a nap. I am old.  My nap can happen any time. LOL
Well now I am starting to think about lunch, and going out for mail, and maybe some groceries.  No good sails today, and not out of anything. So no big hurry.
I really miss my friend formerly known as "M...".  Just sayin.
It does seem that the phony surge in  inflation is ebbing away.  Maybe people seem to be catching on that it is just a ploy to make Biden look bad.  I hope so anyway, because that is just what it is, a political ploy.  There is no fiscal reason for the price surges we are living with the past year. My favorite example is again Campbell's soup.  They were making a nice profit at $.75 to $.80 a can.  Then for no reason they just raised the price to nearly $2.00, and bragged about the record earnings per share at their quarterly meetings.  Disgusting!  The oil industry, and many others, especially restaurants, did the same thing.  What family can afford to go out at these prices.  Even McDonalds is out of reach for many families.  I went out to Melt recently, and it cost me nearly $50 for two cheese sandwiches and a couple of adult beverages.  What the heck?????
OK I put away my soapbox for now.  Gonna go check on mail, and some bills. Lunch too probably.  I have lots of good left overs in the fridge from Debbie and Lorrie, my neighbor.
I think I know who "the researcher" was who put the probe in Dot's armpit.  Proud to know him too!!!!
Bye for now EV1.  GBU, Israel, and Ukraine. 

calhound

« Reply #27731 on: December 01, 2023, 05:33:48 AM »

hi you guys its raining and 36 here 31 in ice and 33 in kviv and 50 in the barn and my raccoonie family is back and my mom and her kid possum too. i saw the little possum at midnight when i got up to use the bathroom and looked out the window she was eating in the rain i felt bad for her saw all the dog food in big bowl was gone and the cupcakes and stuff knew raccoonies were back. the barn has flooding again so had to pellet that i am going to start getting lotto tickets when i go to town to get gas bank get a landscapper to fix that barn. or move and get a bigger barn with all the trimmings. smaller house bigger barn. pay someone to help care for stuff too.  new cars for all us. new houses for all of us too. flannel shirts and campbell soup for you too joho what is Melt? 50 bucks for two cheese sandwiches what was the adult beverage i would not be going there i only hit mcdonalds once in a while and i get two sausage biscuits give sausage to the dogs and two strawberry jellies cost is 2.61 use to get the biscuits for 1.00 a piece so not went up a ton on them. i have my own pop with me. everything at walmart harps groceries has gone up way up. yes big rip off.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/06055D57BE63?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27732 on: December 01, 2023, 10:16:44 AM »

5:58  Light rain and 43 degrees now.  Bill paying day. Yay! I love paying bills. LOL
Doctor at 1:30.  So as usual I feel fine.  No aches or pains. Just normal ageing flaws.  Which are OK, because they mean I am still alive.  LOL
 I will not take Jennie's popcorn to the office today, because for the first time ever I missed my Nov. 10th. appointment, and for the first time ever they did not remind me.
I cannot concentrate, because I am thinking of bills and keeping track of my budget.  So I better go get that done before the postman cometh.
Bye now EV1 GBU, Israel, and Ukraine.

calhound

« Reply #27733 on: December 02, 2023, 05:48:49 AM »

hi you guys its 32 drizzy foggy 24 in ice 31 in kviv and 50 in the barn.

hi joho i paid some bills yesterday too and have to pay my elec i do this on my phone echeck they have all my info then they email receipt for it and my water the same cable my cell wish my cell and jims  same time but they are not i get a paper statement from them. i am happy my christmas list is cut down.

Hi Neva!

i read about erdogan and his friendship hamas 

Friday, Dec. 1, 2023, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan reiterates his position that Hamas is not a terror group and says they must be involved in any solution for Gaza after the war.

“I stand by my position. No matter what anybody says, I cannot accept Hamas as a terror group,” Erdogan tells reporters on his plane, according to Turkish media.

His comments came in response to a question about possible US sanctions that Turkey could face for supporting and funding Hamas.

The Turkish leader also says that Hamas must be involved in any post-war scenario for Gaza, saying the “exclusion and destruction of Hamas is not an option.”

In addition, Erdogan calls on the ICC to punish Israeli officials, whom he calls “the butchers of Gaza.” He singles out Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Turkey maintains deep ties with Hamas. Erdogan has been in close contact with the Hamas leadership since the start of the war, and has allowed the terror group to operate from an office in Istanbul for over a decade, insisting that it only hosts the group’s political wing

same person who stalling sweden to be in nato cause sweden support terriost group to turkey.  same person who is friends with putin

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/3B055D5AF5AA?z=0

gb ukraine israel gb all animals and gb all of us

calhound

« Reply #27734 on: December 03, 2023, 05:26:46 AM »

hi you guys its 34 here drizzly 30 in ice 30 in kviv and 50 in the barn sick of the rain i tells you. suppose to change to snow tonight but back to rain at 5 am sick of the rain

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/F1055D5BA0F8?z=0

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us and gb president carter