Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1121346 times)

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27705 on: November 24, 2023, 05:40:07 PM »

hi neva yes its cold here tomorrow at 3 pm we go under winter advisory till monday snow sleet etc i dont want sleet or ice i use my walker to barn but hope none of that and for animals outside i was happy to see the moon back this morning yes i watch weather channel alot now not much news i always look fir you your daughter saw wy getting snow big snow in denver too look for joho so nice you got to see your maverick yes very cool name i saw parts of macy parade while making my rolls i too watch it since i was little use to go to town buy newspaper look at black friday ads mostly walmart go with missy then it started at midnight i cant believe i stayed up drove to her house she drove to walmart. never did i have more fun shopping black friday than with her. she shops it online now i dont need stuff and dont buy lots of gifts now miss has a hard time getting around she can get around but has a hard time no walker or cane yay you heard from your childhood friend!

hi joho did we go to that museum today?
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #27706 on: November 25, 2023, 05:20:53 AM »

Unusual Weather - UPDATE November 24, 2023

Blue Jay
The bears are all denned up. They probably want some snow for insulation. The lack of snow at this time of year here is so unusual that many are talking about it. Some glad. Some not. Bears, probably not. Looking out the window and seeing Woods Lake frozen over, the one thing that is missing is snow. I think deer like the situation. With leaves down and dried, they can still find nutritious green grass as this one is demonstrating.

Migrating birds have moved through. Blue jays are still here adding their color, especially this one that was flaring its tail trying to dominate a competitor for sunflower seed hearts. A red squirrel in its winter coat showed an even richer color as the sun neared the horizon.

Deer eating grass
Deer eating grass
 Red fox
Red fox
 Red squirrel
Red squirrel
The red fox didn’t seem sure whether to take a piece of pork or a mini-muffin, so he took one of each. Tomorrow morning I’ll see what he took overnight, but without snow to check for tracks, I won’t be quite sure whether it is him or raccoons who took it.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Cente
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27707 on: November 25, 2023, 05:34:47 AM »

hi you guys its 25 here 41 in ice and 37 in kviv 50 in the barn and i saw on the weather channel awhile ago temp is 3 in casper WY it was 8 and almost 8 inches of snow it is strange no snow in ely but yes the deer can still eat grass bears are sleeping anyway snow will come im sure our weather alert changed from 3 pm today to noon today. i saw a full moon and some stars do not cloudy here yet.

hi neva its cold for your kids in wy and snowy. i had to laugh at doc remark on fox taking muffin or pork checking later to see if it took rest or a raccoonie got it. my money on the raccoonies.    :) they would share with the fox no reason why both could not eat. grab and go fox.

hi joho jims mo tigers won yesterday they clobbered my cousins AR Razorbacks 48-14

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/2B055D570E79?z=0

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27708 on: November 25, 2023, 09:55:34 AM »

7:34  I was distracted by thoughts of yesterday.  Trying to figure out how to share the twenty pictures Debbie took at the Giants Museum with you all.  They are on her phone and my little flipper can't do them justice. Plus I got that wrong number when I sent Neva a text last week.  Was a good day for us.  First the Giants Carol, the well spoken President of the Seville Ohio Historical Society.  Then a great visit with Melissa, my baby bird rescue partner, at the Circles On The Square donut shop in Medina.  Then a nice visit to the memory center with our old friends Bonnie and her daughter Annie, Debbie's best childhood friend.  Then a dinner of Debbie's  Thanksgiving leftovers at a friends house while watching several college football games.  We were wondering who to root for.  Now I know to root for MO Tigers for Jim.
  Can't wait for our Ohio State Michigan rivalry at noon today.  GO BUCKEYES!
CUL EV1 GBU, Israel, and Ukraine.

neva

« Reply #27709 on: November 25, 2023, 03:39:21 PM »

Harris Hawk ...  29:55       60°  (2:07 pm)    Mostly sunny, some clouds.  It rained before noon.  It was a decent one.

I hope that all is well with everyone.

Cal     It does look like you'll need a trip to Iceland in order to warm up.  Wow!  the temp in Casper, Wyoming.  Susan's mother-in-law lives there,  I don't envy her, not even in the summer.  that place is always windy.  When you go to the barn, remember to carry your phone with you, for safety's sake, so you could phone for help if you needed to.   the puzzle:  We have lots of Harris Hawks here in Arizona.  They are graceful fliers and often hunt in groups, from two to four or five... (or singly too).

Joho      It sounds like you had a thoroughly nice day.  That is good. 
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #27710 on: November 25, 2023, 04:42:59 PM »

Oh no!  We lost!  We can beat anyone, but the MI Wolverines.  They have a hex on us. We kept giving the ball away, and got out coached with clever plays. I think I even remember the punter taking  the snap from center in normal fashion, then throwing a pass down field for the first down. Wow! That is some tricky coaching.  Plus the MI ground attack was just unstoppable.
Yes we did have a wonderful day yesterday.  We will do more together whenever we get the chance. I love going places with Debbie.  She is so interested in everything.  I will keep trying to send her photos.  First I have to learn to get them from her phone to my email.  No luck so far.  It is an Apple phone and a Windows email.  So it is kind of tricky I guess.
Well going to find a friend now and go out to see the very nice Christmas lighting display at our county park.  It is very nice, and you just drive through it in your warm car. It is like driving through a tunnel of wonderful lights with animals outlined in lights. I have seen it before for several years.  I like to show it to others.  Especially those who have not seen it before.  It is only about 10 minutes away from my home.
Well it is full dark here.  The light show starts at 5:30 and goes until 9:30.  All they ask is that we bring canned goods to donate.  I will take two cans from my pantry.  I will ask my friend if she has any canned goods to spare.  I am sure she does.
Well

calhound

« Reply #27711 on: November 26, 2023, 05:37:52 AM »

hi you guys its 25 here snowing been snowing since yesterday afternoon when i came out of the barn at 4pm just a light snow then but it picked up had to shovel my sidewalk to get to the barn earlier this morning 42 in ice 31 in kviv and 50 in the barn. only one raccoonie she was in the barn all dry so i think she spent the night in there good for her may be some others in there but just one came out. maybe in there and indy and sweets all dry and warm. my birds were up early and waiting of me too.

hi joho i saw your pictures on my little flip phone wow giant was a giant! just saw them earlier  and i saw kstate lost and your buckeyes too mi i saw a little of that game in and out and saw mi went ahead and i said to the dogs come on buckeyes! i saw on the weather channel looks like snow for you too. i think we have the drive thru light show in the city somewhere i think i have never been i see light when i go pick up groceries real early at my walmart i do not know how to send photos from my cell phone either i can email pictures if on my ipad or computer take forever to type out something on it no keyboard  chiefs play today at 3:25 vegas raider read taylor will not be there so hope travis and play okay with her jim said he was talking about retiring well from what i have read on her she does not want a groupie or swiftie boyfriend she likes he is a football player a really good one has his own thing but if she has to be there for him to play then he maybe he should retire what a shame that would be.  yes jim likes mo tigers and they have played great this season.

hi neva lol yes go to ice to get warm or get in the barn.  i saw it was like 42 for you its always windy here too alot usually around noon up on the hill here. jim let indy out thanksgiving day it was really nice and we knew this weather was coming but as soon as jim got back in the house crappy neighbor right behind us sanders and his friend who lives on down the road shooting this guns you could hear the bullets  ricochet off all that metal and just junk all over indy so upset jim was pissed he went out there yelling that friend of his has land too go shoot there but not all the junk like sanders and sanders has 80 acres but has to shoot right there. jim told him before one bullet hits over here we will own your place. he said cant take a break on thanksgiving i said at least not shooting at animals he illegally killed a turkey once and did not show up in court and the law came and got him big huge fine.  i never carry my phone neva i know i should i try to check it when i am in my room but i have so much stuff my green bucket full of dry dog food cookies twinkies bird seed etc. and try to hold all that i do have a sack put stuff in it and my cane and use the walker to the barn door.  thinking of getting a basket for my walker.  harris hawk sounds like tv flying in a group. graceful flyers.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/CD055D54AA2C?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27712 on: November 26, 2023, 11:39:18 AM »

LOL dog ate the wallet for Thanksgiving. LOL  I been watching my niece Suzy.  She lives in NY, but is at a dog agility show in MA with her Pepion Boise today.  I have a live link on, and have seen Boise do two trips through the course.  She will do a third trip later today.
 So in the meantime I will do the puzzle.
BTW, the lights were a big hit.  My friend was oohing and awing a lot. We will have to go back though, because we forgot to take some canned food to donate.  I wish I could take a carload of friends to see these lights.  I really like them and want to share.  I will try to get Debbie to go, and maybe Mary and Shannon too.  Even Brian and his boys would like the lights I think.
CUL EV1 GBU, Israel (go Hostages), and Ukraine

johoward

« Reply #27713 on: November 26, 2023, 11:53:39 AM »

9:18 Now I really have to get something going over here. At a minimum, some lunch is indicated, and a check on Boise and Sue.  Then a peak at NFL.  May try to line up some friends for light show.  Kind of tricky.  My friends don't know each other, so maybe not.
CUL EV1 GBU again and always.  Happy Sunday.

neva

« Reply #27714 on: November 26, 2023, 04:10:11 PM »

Bird on Cactus ...  31:05    67°  (2:21 pm)   Sunny, some cloudiness + a mild breeze.

I truly hope all is well with all of you.

Cal     Yes, to get warm, the barn is much better.  Your furry + feathered kids are so lucky.   I like the Harris Hawks a lot and always look for them.  Cooper's Hawks live in our neighborhood, and come visit our backyard and the big stone birdbath I have there.  I hope the Harris Hawks don't show up, I like being an oasis for all the little birds too, and they disappear when the Cooper's show up looking for a free lunch.  (water, plus a little bird)   🫤  We also have Ravens that live in a nearby Palm Tree.

Joho    Is it a neighborhood that is decorated with lights for Christmas?  We have one like that, and it has always been a lot of fun going through there.  Mostly, Larry and I took our kids and their cousins through and they loved it. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 04:14:26 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #27715 on: November 26, 2023, 05:57:34 PM »

hi neva harris hawk like a sharpie i got a sharpie it came helped itself to one of my little birds that i feed i was upset now when i see it i run it off not seen it for a long time it landed right by house on pearls well indys hitching post pretty bold i like my tvs best not killers  just clean up crew. wow you got ravens do they pick on little birds too? i like my barnswallows too eat mosquitoes gnats and raise their babies on front porch ceiling and under walk out roof basement. got my crows and i do like my red tail hawk she raises her kid close to here teaches it to fly in indys pasture i like watching that. shoot like my owls too not seen them kill something hope i dont be running them off too.   :)

hi joho chiefs was winning 28-17 are the brownies playing
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #27716 on: November 27, 2023, 04:53:47 AM »

Happy Birthday Neva!!

calhound

« Reply #27717 on: November 27, 2023, 05:11:20 AM »

hi you guys its 21 here 43 in iceland 28 in kviv and 50 in the barn. i have one raccoonie been holing up in the barn last couple of days she is sleepy i am worried she is sick maybe started her on antibiotics yesterday put some in a little debbie fancy cake and she ate it. she is eating and drinking but really sleepy and its really cold here no other raccoonies coming into hybernation i think i do not want to her to go out now she is too tired to traveled something will get her. i am going to take out this big pet bed i got she is sleeping outside of the tunnel in the hay where heat vent blows out put her bed there.

hi neva i hope you have a happy day today and i hope you have tons of more.

hi joho i saw the last part of the chiefs game they got a win sounds funny coming from the chiefs to say that but the playing has been well.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/A0055D4DFC9C?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27718 on: November 27, 2023, 06:21:49 AM »

6:59 30 degrees here at 7 am. No rain or snow yet, but surely on the way.  Snowman is lots of white this morning, and snow just started at Ely where the bears are sleeping.
Cal sounds like raccoon is ill, or partially hibernating since it is still eating.  They carry rabies, so be careful.  They are not as bad as foxes and skunks, but they do carry rabies and distemper.  I think you should live trap it.  Keep it warm and take it to, or call the DNR or the police.
The lights we visit are a Covid inspired display along the mile long drive into the horse corral area of our Carlisle Reservation Lorain County Park System.  It is a beautiful 10 minute drive through with a suggested donation of dry or canned food.  There were five volunteers in the welcoming shelter last night.  I will try to find someone to ride through with me tonight.  Maybe Debbie will go.  I hope so, because she is a decoration fan, which I am not. I am a Scrooge decor guy.
I think I better get my day started now.  So CUL EV1 GBU, Israel (especially the hostages), and Ukraine.

calihoula

« Reply #27719 on: November 27, 2023, 08:44:30 AM »

hi joho just went to barn raccoonie eating little cake i made for her she ate alot got big drink she is pretty alert now. ive been feeding them in the barn for years they grew up there im not worried about rabies and that is her home home to her family it will warm up here two days be almost 50 her family will be back. she was kinda going into hibernating so cold here but not in the barn im happy she is doing so good. they just showed a park drive thru christmas lights display stuff. have fun!