Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1122036 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27585 on: October 31, 2023, 04:59:30 AM »

hi you guys its 28 here 34 in ice 63 in kviv and 50 in the barn

hi neva i am amazed by europe interest in our football big money business too. all about the money. i hope team will over the flu by then if not do not play. i knew it was getting cold for you i was a tom boy too. learned stuff along the way. but now you need special computer and chip knowledge to work on cars not like back in the day. my furnace running now sounds like a jet engine the new one but jim said that is how they are now. when i left the barn yesterday maybe all in her new bed this morning she was in it too she could not hear me come in over that furnace running but then it kicked off and she came out over the hay happy to see me. sorry your diamondbacks lost i liked that starting pitcher diamonds had.

hi joho like neva i sure do miss my dad too. was happy for that time we had together when he came to live with us and all the weekends before that. that is to me the worse about getting old losing parents grands etc. worse than any physical pain.

i saw rep putting together a package money for israel not the one with isreal and ukraine

happpy halloweenie and joho and neva be careful when you go out treat and treating check your candy first  :)

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/38055D5CFF45?z=0
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 05:01:05 AM by calhound »
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27586 on: October 31, 2023, 05:02:59 AM »

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27587 on: October 31, 2023, 09:58:16 AM »

5:50  Happy Halloween to you all too.
Very cool this morning.  Sunny now, but still only 37 degrees at 10:34.
I did try a new hospital cafeteria last night for dinner.  They have been offering a 40% senior discount for years in our county senior paper.  I finally took the time to find out how to take advantage of their offer. The cashier told me I needed a special card from the community senior center.  She was very vague about where the center is located.  All she would say is that is was a little to the East of where we were on the same road as the hospital.  I finally got her to tell me if it was on the North or South side of the road. I do not think she likes giving  the senior discount.  Just my feeling at the time.  I did use the discount last night, but with a different cashier. It worked fine, but the food was not all that good.  It was cold chicken parmigiana, and there was an additional charge for some cold and dried up green beans.  I may go back, but I will try to pick something that they will make fresh. At least it will be warm.
Taking neighbor to airport this afternoon.  She is going to Nashville to see her family for a while.
That is the only thing on my agenda today. So not much to talk about.
I did watch both football and baseball last night, but I already forgot what I saw. LOL
 My paper is not much help either, because it is yesterday's paper.  Todays has not got here yet.  It will tell me what I saw last night.  So maybe I will get back with you later. I think the blue shirts beat the white shirts, but I am not sure which game that was.  Baseball or football.  LOL
OK you guys.  Lorrie says the mail has arrived.  So I will go get it down the street.
CUL EV1 GBU, GB Israel, and GB Ukriane.

johoward

« Reply #27588 on: October 31, 2023, 05:45:13 PM »

HI, at least one porky on the table at Snowman now.

calihoula

« Reply #27589 on: November 01, 2023, 05:57:47 AM »

hi you guys on my ipad got to get groceries not feeling well having to be in the bathroom got everyone fed but not well hope i can pick up my groceries bbl
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #27590 on: November 01, 2023, 10:32:40 AM »

Ted - UPDATE October 31, 2023

Ted's nice face on 4-13-2015
Thinking of Ted on this first anniversary of his death at the age of 25, I wanted to write a tribute to him but could not think of better words than those his keeper Sharon Herrell recently posted:

"Ted bear January 1997- October 2022

Grief in losing a beloved animal/friend can be different to everyone. We miss Ted and think of him daily. His gentle greeting and huge presence left a void in our lives and to the thousands of people that knew and loved him. He was our teacher, friend, and one of our first ambassador bears. Today, the anniversary of his death, we acknowledge Ted, as a loved member of our bear family, is greatly missed. Ted was special. He will be missed by many. Each of us has his or her favorite memory of Ted. He showed how much he especially loved visits by children by making his welcoming ‘whoots’ as he made his way to the fence to greet them. He taught thousands of people each year the truth about black bears, and with his gentle personality and sweet vocalizations made himself a favorite while changing people’s attitudes about bears."

A volunteer made this nice music video: In Memory of Ted Bear - 1997-2022

I found him to have the warmest heart toward people of any bear I’ve ever known. I remember our first meeting on April 28, 2007 when his friends and owners from Wisconsin introduced him to the enclosure that would be his life-long home. His owners had raised him with love, and Ted showed it. As I approached the fence, he gave his welcoming whoots even though he had never seen me before. I greeted him like a bear, nose to nose, and he extended his tongue as black bears do to express friendship. Neither of us forgot that moment. I know I didn’t. For the rest of his life, when I offered him food, it seemed more important to him that we give each other that greeting.

Ted and Lucky on log 10-3-07
Ted and Lucky on log 10-3-07
 Ted rolling in cedar 5-30-14
Ted rolling in cedar 5-30-14
Later that summer, he met little cub Lucky. Ted wanted to make friends. Lucky was afraid. Ted was persistent, but Lucky preferred the mother and son who provided his bottles day and night. Then the two left for school in September, and Lucky gradually became more receptive of Ted’s advances. On October 3, with a big log between them, Lucky let Ted touch noses with him. From there, they quickly became friends and this little cub was unafraid as they played vigorously with each other. To make things more even, Ted would often lie on his back and have Lucky get on him for some gentle batting back and forth.

Ted sitting 8-22-12
Ted sitting 8-22-12
 Ted 10-4-14
Ted 10-4-14
One of my favorite pictures of Ted is the close-up showing his gentle eyes and hint of a smile when he was 18. With Ted like he was, I thoroughly trusted him and he me. Sometimes he would open his mouth and gently take my forehead into his mouth for a few moments, often as part of a bear hug.

Ted joining me in chalet den 10-13-15
Ted joining me in chalet den 10-13-15
 Ted hugging Lynn 6-21-14
Ted hugging Lynn 6-21-14
The picture of me on my hands and knees was a situation a little like that on June 21, 2014. I was lying at the edge of the pond trying to get picture of him in the water from a low angle. He was 17 and I was 75. He saw an opportunity for closeness and came fast toward me. I only had time to turn over and get my hands and knees beneath me so I could breath if he squashed me under his weight. He held me with his head almost lying on my back in an experience that again showed me his warmth. A visitor up on the viewing deck took the picture that is a valued memory for me. Sharon heard what was happening, grabbed a treat Ted saw and ended that time of closeness.

Ted walking 10-4-14
Ted walking 10-4-14

There are so many memories from our 15 years of knowing each other. I never heard the crowds on the viewing deck so loud with enthusiasm as when they were watching Ted and Lucky play. We also liked seeing him enjoy rolling in cedar chips just outside the viewing windows.

I’ll never forget the sad day when I got a call from the Bear Center, crawled into his chalet with him, and found that Ted was paralyzed from the neck down—probably from myelopathy, which is the result of compression of the spinal cord and nerve roots caused by inflammation, arthritis, bone spurs and spinal degeneration due to aging. Ted was 25 years old, which is quite old for a black bear. He lived a loved and loving life that many people will not forget.

Also, more info here: https://bear.org/visit-us/our-bears-and-their-habitat/ted/

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #27591 on: November 01, 2023, 10:40:41 AM »

hi you guys im okay now by the time i could leave the bathroom it was ten till 7 am yikes should be pulling in walmart at 7 so got into school bus stuff finally got there and this guy he loaded me up pretty fast and good i went on wed had him before he is really good must work on wed no harps trying to beat construction crew starting up and i did. still unloading but all frig stuff put up and cat food just 3 sacks of dog food and lots of cat litter. it is 32 here this morning it was 19  update showed up and i did not read it. just too sad way too sad. vet comes later today to give indy his shots. suppose to get up to 50 tomorrow and then 60 chiefs leave tomorrow for germany game on sunday morning at 8:30 am i will check and record it. 

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/87055D598BA2?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #27592 on: November 01, 2023, 03:06:05 PM »

hi you guys been doing chores swept barn floor cleaned up indys area vet coming jim took out poop buckets he came in said indy bit him again bit his heavy duty brown jacket said indy must not like that jacket second time he did that but jim did not get hurt indy got the jacket i said he wants treats he does that to me i yell at him boy if you bite me jim said he yelled too indy ran to other side hope he does not bite the vet this time jim will hold indys lead rope last year just got him vet had his girl assit holding him and she bent his ear im sure to distract him from shots but it pissed me off she breaks a muscle jim said he would be pissed off too but had him a year jim will hold him not the girl. indy bite the girl.  :)
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #27593 on: November 01, 2023, 04:36:31 PM »

7:07 Finally got to do the puzzle.😊Thanks Cal. No news.  Trying to get phone to send pics again.  Now curser is missing from message script.  I can't tell where letters will show up.  Yikes need to go.  I will try shutting down.  Then try new batteries in mouse. Bye for now. CUL EV1 GBU GB Israel and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #27594 on: November 01, 2023, 04:51:13 PM »

Boulangerie Sign ... 23:12    78°  (2:29  pm)   Clear, Sunny & a light breeze.

I hope all is going smoothly in your day. 

Cal   I'm glad that you are feeling better than you were earlier this morning,  Thanks for the Update, Ted was much loved by everyone that got to know him, or even about him through these updates.  I can imagine how they miss him.  Like I miss Maddie.
   I hope Indy doesn't bite the Vet or his asst. 

Hi  Joho   I hope all is going well today.     oops ...  I see you just posted.  I hope it's just batteries that is the problem.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 04:54:18 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #27595 on: November 01, 2023, 07:01:28 PM »

hi neva vet and assit lady came vet he has special heart for sweets sweets first goat he neutered he was being careful with sedation cause goats have a hard tine with that i remember jim and i took turns sleeping with him in his stall he was out of it so i was already in barn sitting back by indy maybe on my lap they came in doc came thru by gate lady stopped behind him she did not know sweets on other side of that wall doc did sweets he put his head down horns ready and took off rammed that wall by her she screamed out lol hee haw we all laughed she saw sweets laughed too. jim said he would indy at first indy scared i was telling him he was a good boy and he settled right down did perfect too. doc saying how healthy he was how good looking he is he said he did not give indy all the shots like a horse said donkeys mule are so healthy superior really on health i know doc why i got a mule although miss a horse he came to our barn did shots 132.00 gave west nile and tetanus we was happy not having to load the boy up go all the way there his place next to busy road worth every cent! and sweets had fun when she left i told jim hay lady go in sweets area pull on his ears! hee haw i miss maddie rose too almost her would of been 20th birthday calis 11th be 24th month makes me sad but she is doing good hearing is not as good white face she is still barky happy almost your bd almost mine are we still barky im so tired bedtime no ballgame tonight for me sleep leave tv on hgtv oh good house hunters

hi joho

calhound

« Reply #27596 on: November 02, 2023, 05:10:37 AM »

hi you guys its 33 here 34 in ice 56 in kviv and 50 in the barn  i saw on the news earlier rangers won the world series.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/65055D597C59?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27597 on: November 02, 2023, 11:21:33 AM »

7 plus a little Lost it somehow. Olivia just left.  She is my bug lady.  She sprayed the whole house to chase away the mites from all my window sills.  My house is infested.  Makes me cringe.  Mites look like little wandering dots.  If you squash them they bleed green.  So I don't do that.  Puter is still fouled up. The curser does not show me where the next letter will be.  Very difficult to type this way. 
I will go now and spend some time trying to get it working right. It is only bad on this chat.  It still works normally on email and other sites like facebook messenger.
CUL EV1 GBU, GB Israel, and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #27598 on: November 02, 2023, 02:16:24 PM »

Phone Boxes ...  29:46      76°  (11:48  am)    Sunny & bright.  No wind.

Cal     I was hoping the Diamond Backs would win, since they are from Arizona, but I actually thought it was a good thing when the Rangers won  --  they were deserving, and maybe even more so.  So, I am happy for them.  Anyway, I watched most of it and learned a few things and could appreciate what they all were going through.

Joho    Good luck working on your computer, I know it can be exasperating. 

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #27599 on: November 02, 2023, 06:11:51 PM »

hi joho mites wandering dots   i get it now bleed green infested good your bug friend came to the rescue wonder why your curser only messed up here did you hit something from above here? above faces

hi neva i thought too on ranger win first world series win for them and as in all sports may the best team win im happy diamondbacks got to play and you watch made your dad smile