Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1123120 times)

neva

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27405 on: September 24, 2023, 05:33:41 PM »

Lost a post just now, can't get it back.  I have no idea where it went.

Hi Cal and Joho.  It sounds like you are having a decent day and I am glad to hear it.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #27406 on: September 25, 2023, 04:47:23 AM »

Beary Scary Wind - UPDATE September 24, 2023

Bertha
On this windy day, I saw one bear all day until the wind calmed a bit about 5:30 PM. The one bear of the day was yearling Bertha (Shadow, RC, Bow, Bertha) who I noticed this morning in the top of the white pine out my desk window. Bertha in white pine
Bertha in white pine
Windy days are scary. They sound like danger is rustling in all directions. When she finally came down for a bite to eat at 2:15 PM, she spent most of her time looking quickly and nervously in all directions with each gust of wind. A half hour later, she was back up in her safe spot resting again (photo). She isn’t that visible in the picture but it shows the kind of spot with many branches where bears like to rest in safety. The same spot was used by a lot of bears through the summer.

The spot has memories for me from 30 years ago when I noticed that the top of the trunk had died and just below it were five unusually robust branches taking over the upward growth. I cut the dead top off and screwed the board you can see in the picture onto the 10-inch diameter flat top to see if a small bear wanted to rest on it, and some did. But with some of the board now broken off no bear uses it anymore. They like the swirl of big branches just below it where Bertha is resting.Carex male yearling
Carex - male yearling

Shortly after 5:30 PM, another yearling showed up—Carex, son of Lily (Shadow, June, Lily, Carex) and the two got along and even had a little play. Carex doesn’t look that nice in his picture, but there was still enough wind to have him looking hither and thither with anxiety. He wasn’t worried about me. He was just anxious about what might be all around him.

On another note, the yard was alive with birds this morning with a surprise separation of ravens and crows. Ravens picked the side toward Woods Lake—31 of them—and on the other side of the WRI were 32 crows. I’m assuming that the ravens had first choice, weighing 2 ½ times what a crow does. On the crow side, they eventually had to share with 34 mallards that are nearly 2 ½ half times their size. Several sharp-shinned hawks kept the blue jays alert. A big female sharp-shin flew over and a dozen blue jays filled the dead balsam fir tree for safety. Sharp-shinned Hawk juv
Sharp-shinned Hawk juv.
Others flew to the tops of trees where they would be sitting higher than the sharp-shins like to dive toward their prey. When the blue jays played hard to get, one of the sharp-shins then chased a pileated woodpecker twice its size and another chased a crow three times its size that was twisting and turning to evade the little hawk. The picture of the sharp-shin is of one sitting on a lower branch of the refuge balsam looking up at what it just missed and now couldn’t get.

Enough of my rambling, Sharon’s Bear News is something to see with the most pictures ever! https://bear.org/bear-news-september-23-2023/

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27407 on: September 25, 2023, 05:01:24 AM »

hi you guys its 60 here 48 in ice 77 in kviv and 62 in the barn i hope bears getting way in trees during high winds are safe hope tree does not break off at the top.  those sharpies are a pain for birds why cant they just eat bird seed or food doc throws out to the gulls. what if an eagle flew over cause there is some there too.

Hi Neva! i know i have lost some post and said well another day. have no idea where they go sometimes. i saw your arizona cardinals beat the dallas cowboys yesterday 28-16 i know what a big football fan you are   :)

hi joho chiefs had a huge lead 41-0 and i thought they will take patrick out just when i am sitting down watching it and they did put in backup gabbert and he went right out there and threw an interception. it was the fourth quarter bears scored ten points good it was almost end of the game score 41-10 so maybe should look for another back up and keep patrick safe out there but patrick he runs all over gets first downs always on the move. what a quarterback. chiefs redid his contract and like chris jones he gets more money by winning but he said no problem with that i want to win. good for chiefs no more take the money and run so to speak play for it.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/B9055D59806F?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

neva

« Reply #27408 on: September 25, 2023, 07:39:56 PM »

Cat breakfast ...  32:26     98°  (4:58 pm)    Sunny, nearly cloudless and windy.    rain ... a thing fondly remembered.

I do hope all is well.

Hi Cal     My dad would occasionally watch a football game, or basketball, but baseball was his thing.  I am used to hearing the sound of baseball in the background, and liking the sound, but I rarely watched.  My brother, Douglas loves baseball like dad, but my other brother, Heston couldn't care less.  I used to joke that Football was modern mans answer to Gladiators.  Please don't be offended by that, it is in reference to all the heavy body contact... one guy trying to put another guy out of the game.
I used to watch a lot of tennis, and I do love the Olympics.  As for football, I do care if Arizona is playing -  not enough to watch, but enough to hope they win.  When your team is playing, I hope you'll see them win.

Hi  Joho     How is your day going?
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #27409 on: September 25, 2023, 09:24:50 PM »

6:40 Terrible day.  Neighbor tore up our yards trying to get good drainage.  Mary fired me as a friend.  I knew it was coming.  She is just to in demand to do much that she wants to do.  She is doing what others ask at least 4 days a week, and what she really wants to do about three days a week.  So we get only after hours time.  Last night it was 3:15 am before I got to bed.  I slept until 9:30.  She did not sleep at all.
 So we are history and I am very sad today.  She will not be happy either.  She is smart and will see that we were doomed from the start.
Good night now my friends.  GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #27410 on: September 26, 2023, 05:28:58 AM »

hi you guys its its 57 here says high pollen day  :( 51 in ice 69 in kviv and 62 in the barn

hi joho i was getting ready to tell you that i am not defending you with mary anymore. i do it then she texts you phone hold a hand and your right back  she has her own life you said you would wait take whatever crumbs she threw at you move on joho.   i was going to read whatever you posted anything except mary. when i read mary i will stop reading and go on. this has been one big soap opera and i never watched them and i got to get off this one. you went overboard with her and i was hoping you would not drown.  i hope you have learned from this.  i did watch a soap opera kinda Soap every show i saw made me laugh

https://youtu.be/P1W8CuBIz40

hi neva

i gotta go pick up groceries

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/3B055D5AE399?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27411 on: September 26, 2023, 09:16:38 AM »

Cal you and your Soap Videos are a hoot.  Thanks!  I remember those shows with Bert. LOL!
 You can read my chats.  I wont use the "M" word any more. 
Don't worry about me.  I will be fine.  A little whiny and frustrated now and then, but that's mostly for your entertainment and to guide others who never looked in here , but I am OK.
 I am enjoying my elder life as much as I can. I will continue to do good things with and for people whom I feel need some attention or diversion of sorts. It pleases me to help entertain others.  I believe it is how we all should treat one another.  The last year for me has been far more good than bad, because I reached out to others, and took a chance.  I got a lot of "NO's", but also a lot of "OK's" too.
I will keep trying to boost those around me as much and as long as I can. 
Cal, I need milk again all ready.  Maybe I should get a bigger jug. LOL
Neva I am glad you are with us here each day.
Bye for now my friends. CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

johoward

« Reply #27412 on: September 26, 2023, 10:55:20 AM »

6:05 on the puzzle. Thanks Cal.  I forgot to do it earlier.  I am a little distracted this morning.  Which is almost gone here. LOL 69 degrees at 11:54
Bye now hagd

calihoula

« Reply #27413 on: September 26, 2023, 11:35:08 AM »

hi joho i got my groceries got lots of milk i could give you a half gallon of 1% frig full of milk and food pantry full tons of cat food dog food cat litter gloria loaded up my stuff i gave her a candy bar they cant accept stuff but can put a candy bar in their pocket at christmas i am going to give each one who loads up all my stuff and shops for me a walmart gift card they can put it in their pocket. i loved soap one christmas niece jeanne got me the complete series on dvd i watched it here and there back then laughed so hard chuck and bob weather saying we will get up in 90's grr sept part of summer not 100 plus end of oct be a change. i been seeing big monarch butterflies heading south i came here to check on you yay no M word yesterday when i was in the barn when my chores are done indy eating outta of his feeder i sit on bale of hay maybe gets on my lap indy watches then moves over sticks his head down thru the gate bars lickin his lips i lean over give him some cookie i was leaning back on hay looked up big spider webs on ceiling got these little black bugs on hay they drink mouse water i got behind me eat cookies i put out for mice well one way up caught in spider web and i saw the spider got up used my cane rescued that bug cleaned web off it put in hay it ran up started eating the cookie. stuff like that makes me really happy i been using my broom cleaning off spider webs in there. you have a good day little buckeye

neva i so share joho on so happy you are here with us each day
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #27414 on: September 26, 2023, 03:04:22 PM »

hi neva just saw your post from last night no offense on glad football men i like baseball too like lots of sports cant watch everything chiefs are so exciting fun to watch now everyone into taylor and travis read she had six guards at the game travis rented out whole roof top restraurant for chiefs and family  his jersey sales went up 400% our union station not only lit up in red for chiefs but also purple for taylor swift. i tells you
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #27415 on: September 26, 2023, 03:58:02 PM »

Yay Cal! Chiefs are living the good life.  Both in sports and in romance.! LOL  I saw her on the game.  She is really beautiful and so fan friendly.  Plus, I hear she can sing. LOL
I am good in many ways and will be happy eventually, but I can't sing very well.
Bye again.  GBU EV1 and especially Ukraine.  God help them. Please.

calihoula

« Reply #27416 on: September 26, 2023, 05:58:40 PM »

hi joho lol yes taylor can kinda sing travis too.  dr platt pulled on my implant tooth came right out empty space there i put cotton up there awhile ago great pain there bout brought me to my knees i was thinking thank god i got all fed taken care of for night i put some oral gel up there then put lots of oral gel on cotton stuck it up there took half a pain pill got my ice pack going to lay down with it on my face wonder what can it be nothing there no new implant yet dr foster asked me if it hurt but it did not pain is letting up now i got my verizon bill it went up 8.00 was 34.00 now 42.00 why is that? tired of everything going up i heard on the farm biden walking picket line with uaw workers yes god please help ukraine

calhound

« Reply #27417 on: September 27, 2023, 05:06:45 AM »

hi you guys its 60 here48 in ice 70 in kviv and 62 in the barn. no more sore mouth yay saw on the world news and our local news a little bit ago showing pres biden walking strike line in detriot. yes workers should get their fair share for sure. i also heard some of the workers tell trump do not need him to come heard trump and sons in more trouble too New York Judge Finds Donald Trump and His Sons Liable for Fraud
The former president and his company deceived banks, insurers and others by massively overvaluing his assets and exaggerating his net worth on paperwork, Judge Arthur Engoron found

hi joho did you get more milk and yes buy a bigger jug  :)

hi neva saw on the weather channel awhile ago it was 75 for you.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/82055D51D95D?z=0

calhound

« Reply #27418 on: September 27, 2023, 05:23:31 AM »

i forgot to tell you at harps john is checkout man he is just so nice elderly and he loves animals he has cats and an old dog sasha she is a big dog husky mix when it storms he says she runs and gets in the bathtub. she has this tumor on her right shoulder and he took her to vet and he said just keep an eye on it it was small but grew and grew and vet said it was not cancer and it did not bother her it got to bleeding and was big he said so vet took it off like a fatty tumor she has 24 stitches getting the out friday and it cost 1,000.00  he said dont tell anyone i said john we have spent that and more on ours drama we spent way more his was cancer and we lost him after a few months but we said we would do it again just to have him that time. john said renfro vet said it may come back in 5 years well sasha is 15 now so she did not chew on the stitches or anything he was shocked maybe she is happy to have that off and have john and his family as her family.

johoward

« Reply #27419 on: September 27, 2023, 11:37:47 AM »

6:58 Finally got to do it. I am average and that's nice to know.
Yay Sasha. Yay all bear chatters and eagle chatters.  I feel like Yay today.
Already time for lunch.  I will make Campbells tomato soup using some of the giant bottle of 2% milk I had to buy, because Drugmart was all out of half's again.
 I did plan to have Bear Creak soup, but because I will have to use up milk soon I will have tomato soup.  I usually make this soup with water, but wellll you know. Plus it makes me think of Joan.  She liked to make tomato soup with milk.  God Bless her soul.
Here I go to cook. CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine