Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1123243 times)

neva

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27375 on: September 18, 2023, 04:08:35 PM »

Gull on roof ...  24:34      97°  (1:04 pm)   Sunny, a few clouds and breezy.

I hope that all is well with all of you.

Hi Cal  &  Joho
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #27376 on: September 19, 2023, 04:51:47 AM »

ani, Cubs, and Birds Being Chased - UPDATE September 18, 2023

Jaci, Jethro, and Jani
A quick favorite after twelve years of not seeing or recognizing her is Jani, Braveheart’s daughter of 2011. When we first saw her here 2-3 weeks ago, she remembered the program and readily accepted food from Lorie’s hand. Her two small cubs, Jaci (female) and Jethro (male) also have trusting personalities. A couple days ago, they posed for a family ID picture with Jaci on the left, Jethro in the middle, and Jani to the right at the base of the cubs’ favorite white pine with their food pile at the base. It’s a food pile that disappears fast with the help of a dozen mallards that fly in or follow their duck path up from the lake a couple times a day. Also sharing the food is a flock of a couple hundred common grackles that immediately leave if the two juvenile sharp-shinned hawks are seen. In that case, the sharp-shins turn to blue jays that take refuge in the dense branches of a dead balsam fir tree that I’ve let stand for that purpose some 25 years. With the hundreds of chases by sharp-shinned hawks I’ve seen during their spring and fall migrations, I can’t remember seeing a single capture.

Grackles
Grackles

As I wrote that last sentence, the sharp-shins arrived, and eight blue jays flew into the dead balsam.

Sharp shinned hawk
Sharp-shinned hawk
 Sharp-shinned hawk
Sharp-shinned hawk dives
 Blue jay taking cover
Blue jay takes cover
It was a good day with no sharp rifle shots, only a couple shotgun blasts with ruffed grouse season now open.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27377 on: September 19, 2023, 05:05:13 AM »

hi you guys its 64 here 50 in ice 76 in kviv and 66 in the barn i got light in here now J bears so cute and good no bear shots but sad for ruffed grouse just have to kill something but maybe they missrd  a shotgun? not be much left of that grouse what is that point? i saw on the world news pres zen 60 minutes asked about ukraine people being grateful for the billions usa has sent made me mad that we make them feel like they have to thank us over and over and pres zen said dont know how much more grateful can be we are dying fighting we lose this war world loses to putin too. he said putin not even a human being anymore he has forgotten how to be one. he also said putin bombs our elec power takes out our heat again this winter we will do that same back to him. about time for some of that.

hi neva hi joho

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/80055D5B37C8?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27378 on: September 19, 2023, 05:03:56 PM »

5:47 finally got to it.  Been apologizing all day due to covid exposure changes. Also texting to keep friends safe.
Won't be seeing anyone for at least five days, and, if I get sick, even longer.  I hate covid.  It is wasting my few days to live, and I hate it. I wasted two years waiting for Rest Home Rita to be well enough to visit.  Now I have to wait again due to covid in a nursing home I visited not knowing covid was there.
Well need milk and cheese for tomorrow. So I GTG. CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #27379 on: September 19, 2023, 07:43:18 PM »

Lorikeet ...  31:57     96°  (4:44 pm)   Sunny, and breezy.

I hope all is well with all of you.  I've just been pretty tired, I think I'm at the age that a good nap now and again is a good idea.

Hi Cal    I agree with you about the position we put the Ukrainians in, over and over, having to come and beg, and them knowing that our help could disappear at any time.  It is such a mess.

Hi Joho     We all were starting to feel fairly safe, I think and that somehow, like Covid had just become some kind of a new flu kind of thing we get a shot for each fall.  But we are starting to remember what we were dragged through by Covid.  One of my daughters presented me with a bunch of masks yesterday, she had also bought them for her sister and herself, of course.  My granddaughter came over to get something of hers, but didn't come in the house since she was exposed to Covid and didn't want to expose me to anything,  So, I guess this is how it is going to be in the coming months ... proceed with caution,
Thank God for computers and phones, everyone can still stay in touch,

« Last Edit: September 20, 2023, 04:32:35 AM by neva »
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #27380 on: September 20, 2023, 05:08:34 AM »

hi you guys its 66 here 47 in ice 67 in kviv and 60 in the barn. i read trump instead of debating sept 27th i think he will be in detroit seeing auto workers on strike when ask if he will go to the picket lines um no. like uaw does not have enough going on. biden trying to rally funds for ukraine at un and pres zen spoke too. if a rep gets in the white house i think that may stop not all rep feel that way but lots do and lots wants every dollar counted for and that would be okay as long as they got every dollar . rep griping about slow progress ukraine making with russia well russia left behind tons of mine bombs and cant just cross thru mine fields and ukraine still waiting for those abram tanks we promised austin said they are coming.

hi joho i am happy jims dad is out of that nursing home while healing his hip. jim is too be there alot and sick people in there. i am happy i can get groceries online and pick up no contact happy that i like being home and in the barn. i may die tomorrow any of us could but not living my life thinking like that. just living my life.

hi neva i saw on the weather channel earlier it was 70 for you and 66 here. yes pres should not have to beg at all. this should of been taken care of from the get go putin and his nukes threats make me sick. nato chief said when ukraine wins this they will be in nato i thought well thank god for that hope it is true he said cause they must not let history ever repeat itself.  you take care with this covid i only got a flu shot did not have that covid booster yet. i think you are right looks like covid is here to stay so have to get boosters i guess i surely do miss the good old days. i got my shortness of breath back so wearing a mask is really hard cali got hers back too. i tell you winter cant come fast enough for me and cali. penny too she is  still on pred for her grass heat allergy peeing all the time. i mowed the dogs yard yesterday morning happy that is done. yes thank god for computers ipads phones and tv and radio

gb urkaine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/4D055D5CB134?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27381 on: September 20, 2023, 08:10:55 AM »

7:02 A tuffy. Not much to report this morning.  I did go out to get milk and gas, but did not visit anyone.  Mary chastized me for going to Drugmart.  She felt I may have endangered some old friends there.  I kept 6 feet away from others and wore a snug fitting mask. I have some immunity, and I am not symptomatic.  So I hope I did not infect anyone.
Now I must go to the table and eat that milk in my coffee and cereal.  CUL EV 1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #27382 on: September 20, 2023, 10:54:31 AM »

hi joho i am sure you did not endanger anyone you had mask on six feet away got to have food milk everyone does even mary i hope she does all that when she is entertaining her other male friends and her neighbors i remember when covid first came and joan was afraid for you to go out cause she did not want someone to give it to you i need more milk kittens and jim drinking it up i should of had you pick me up some
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #27383 on: September 20, 2023, 03:27:48 PM »

Cal,  you are so much my friend and defender. Thanks!
 I did feel a little miffed that Mary thought I needed to be reminded of the risk to others.  You picked up on that.  You are sharp. She and I did not share the covid days. So I did not take offense at her caution.
BTW I only got a half gallon of 2%. That will last me a week.  So I could spare a pint for you on the stool in my garage.  It might get too warm by the time you get here though.  So maybe not.
Bye my friends GBU

calihoula

« Reply #27384 on: September 20, 2023, 05:31:40 PM »

hi joho i am your friend your defender neva alice too  oh that will not be enough milk and be way too warm im getting ready to order groceries online i will get two gallons of 1% milk two half gallons of 1% and a half gallon of skim milk for me i like dessert shells with no strawberries but shell and drink milk outta of the jug. world news be coming on with david muir did you get your tv shows back on? they settled so you should have them back david muir on another convict let out by mistake
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #27385 on: September 21, 2023, 04:40:10 AM »

hi you guys its 60 its pretty humid 38 in ice 73 in kviv and 68 in the barn when i first went in the barn saw my little possum run past me it was sleeping in hay next to sweets stall the front of it. no raccoonies yet so i threw out many cookies for it. then dog food and of course i fed maybe raccoonies showing up now.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/9D055D5BB8B9?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27386 on: September 21, 2023, 09:03:33 AM »

5:36 Shed looks kind of primitive.
Hi EV! good morning.  Here in Ohio by Cleveland it is another very nice morning. 65 and sunny at 9:44.
I am still isolating from Bonnie visit on Monday.  So I will stay in, and only go for a bike ride by myself a little later.  I will take a long ride , because it is so nice.  Also my legs are stiffening up from not enough walking.  Need to do more. Too much couch and computer time some might say. LOL  They would be right.
I have lots of food now.  My other friend, Karen, brought to my garage a bunch of tomatoes and half a large baked zucchini boat.  I just have to warm it a little.  I am really spoiled I tells you. I still have some cabbage soup from Lorrie. If I had a cow I would not have to go to the store at all. LOL 
I sent an email to Marge thanking her for all the friends at Bear.org and RRP.  I sent her a video of my youngest great grandson's first steps.  I will send it to you too.  It is on an email from my Debbie. 
Let me know if it plays ok. Please.
OSU plays Michigan on Sat.  Karen likes MI.  So we will have some rivalry going on. GO BUCKEYES!
I will say Bye for now. Hope you have a nice day. CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #27387 on: September 21, 2023, 12:09:20 PM »

hi joho! nice your friends bring you food. i got herd of cows to my left to my right right behind best neighbors they are i emailed you back i did watch your bash video  :) chiefs play da bears sunday 3:25 here at arrowhead i do barn chores plus big treats for indy sweets at three i will go out little before three sunday come back in to watch flyover natl athem where it says home of the brave fans at arrowhead say home of the CHIEFS! if chiefs out of town and enough fans there they do it there too then i will go back to the barn finish my stuff come in watch last part of game i will listen to it on barn radio. go chiefs go wildcats go buckeyes!

neva

« Reply #27388 on: September 21, 2023, 02:59:48 PM »

Salt Bricks ... 28:55   92°  (12:27  pm)  Sunny, wispy clouds and windy.

Hello everyone, I hope things are going well for you.

Cal    We have finally gotten to the place where we can shut the cooler off at night.  And, we can feel Fall coming on, or at least our version of Fall.

Joho    Thanks for the video of Bash.  He is a cutie.
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #27389 on: September 22, 2023, 04:32:32 AM »

RC and Her Cub, a Thunderstorm, and More - UPDATE September 21, 2023

RC
As I write this, cubs (probably Jani’s Jaci and Jethro) RC and River
RC and River
are up the big white pine at the far edge of the yard with lightning two miles (10 second thunder delay) away. Before the darkening sky and heavy rain, good sun allowed an ID picture of 24-year-old RC with her ID blaze that looks like a check mark on the right side of her chest, which is why she is named RC for right check. It was nice to see her with her lone 109-pound male cub named River now (not Rocky). RC, born in 1999, is the oldest descendent of Shadow (born in 1987) that we have in our records. She looked a little squint-eyed in the picture of her sitting full of milk, but her eyes look okay in the close-up of her.

As I was trying to write like I’m supposed to, it was fast action out the window with several sharp-shinned hawks fruitlessly chasing blue jays all day until the storm. Sometimes the hawks came within inches of them, but the amazing maneuverability of the blue jays saved them every time. The nice sun made the blue jays look pretty, even this one caught red-handed stealing bear food. But thanks to the black bear field courses and your donations, we buy enough food to care for all comers.

Blue jay
Blue jay
 Sharp-shinned hawk juv
Sharp-shinned hawk juv.
Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center