Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1123255 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27360 on: September 15, 2023, 08:10:03 AM »

6:34
Had a great time with Mary on our bus tour.  Feeling unusually tired this morning.  I guess bus riding can do that. She was especially impressed with an herb garden at Mill Hollow.  A tiny garden , but with lots of aromatic herbs.  Most of which Mary recognized. Her knowledge is impressive. She is very curious about almost anything that comes up.  Google is among the best things in her life.  She gets a lot of satisfaction learning new details.
Today we are going again, but this time the bus ride is shorter.  The main ride is on a boat up the Vermilion River.  This should be a different experience for us both.  Will wear a heavier shirt against the wind off Lake Erie. I will go now to get cleaned up for our trip.  Mary will be here about 10:30 or so. Bus leaves at 11.
CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #27361 on: September 15, 2023, 10:50:21 AM »

10 Years Ago
See your memories

Raptor Resource Project
  ·
This photo was taken at Effigy Mounds National Monument in 1998. Bob Anderson, at left, is holding one of the young peregrines we hacked (or released) at Effigy Mounds that year. Dave Kester can be seen grinning in the background as Bob shows the young falcon to Project board member John Dingley.
Bob moved to Bluffton, Iowa in 1996 to pursue cliff releases. He, Dave, John, and several others built a special rock-lined chamber that resembled a ledge or pothole. The Project produced, raised, and released about 42 young falcons in an attempt to establish a cliff-breeding population along the Mississippi river.
Young falcons were hacked in Bluffton in 1997, and at Effigy Mounds in 1998 and 1999. The young falcons were provided with some shelter (a hack box) and food as they learned to fly and hunt proficiently. It was an arduous process that required a 100-mile round trip and three-mile mosquito-infested hike along a muddy, narrow trail every day, for over 40 days each season.
The hard work was worth it! In 2000, two of our cliff-released falcons returned to nest at Effigy Mounds, becoming the first pair to return to the historic cliff eyries of the Mississippi river. Others quickly followed. By 2013, falcons had nested on over 20 bluffs along the Mississippi river and its tributaries, from Diamond Bluff just south of Prescott to a bluff near Alton, Illinois. There may be more sites we aren't aware of yet.
This is one of the reasons I vote for Bob Anderson's Rare Life story. His series of cliff releases made a huge difference and helped return the falcon to the cliffs where it belongs. Please remember to share this and cast your vote daily here:
http://www.eaglerarelife.com/content/bob-Anderson
Thank you for your support, everyone! 🙂
Photo credit Pat Schlarbaum. Pat and the Iowa DNR were and are very supportive of our work. We appreciate it more than we can say.

bob anderson what dedication he did so much for not only falcons but decorah eagles and marshall mo turkey vultures xoxo to bob
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #27362 on: September 15, 2023, 06:29:06 PM »

I tried Cal, but can't seem to see voting. I certainly agree that Bob did enough for birds of prey to warrant recognition.

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #27363 on: September 16, 2023, 04:55:12 AM »

hi you guys its 63 here it has been raining some not heavy rain its 70 in the barn 47 in ice 67 in kviv

hi joho at the top of the bob story it said that was ten years ago so no i guess no voting but im sure bob won that how could he not and if not he won to us and many others. man was amazing i just love that picture of them.

i think strike talk may cont today i did read pres biden on side of autoworkers for uaw so maybe now they will endorse him i hope he did not do this just to get endorsed. they did walk out at three plants and the one in wentzville mo is gm and although gm plant in fairfax ks not out yet that other plant makes parts that they need to they will be idle ripple effect ford for us not yet but will be we know that so worried about that hope they get it settled soon.

hi alice i watched david muir last night love his feel good stories at the end of his broadcast. that lady who was a janitor at the grade school wanted to be a teacher but had to quit school to help support her family and then she went to night school got her highschool deal and sub teacher helper now on to college be a teacher and those little kids who love her and sayin hi to david pretty nice

hi neva!

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/16055D53D5F8?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27364 on: September 16, 2023, 07:27:50 AM »

5:28 Look like ponies to me.
We miss Bob.  He was indeed a hero to raptors. I recall my first video where they were rappelling over the cliff to band the GSB chicks.  I mean WOW!  They even had a group of school children in attendance watching.  How inspirational must that have been to those youngsters.  I would bet a good portion of them are now in the conservation movement in some fashion.  Good bless Amy too for her personal efforts and constant support of Bob and all the group he created at RRP. 
For me  Ohio DNR Peregrines led to Decorah Iowa Eagles, and CA Barn Owls and tree jumping Canada Geese.  Then to GSB Falcons. Then MO Vultures.  Then to Bear . org with Ted and Honey.  Lucky and the girls came there a little later, but I never left.
 I kept adding cams like Snowman, Rescue Danes, Live Backyard in Ohio, 24/7 Live in Oregon, Racoon Saloon, Ely wolf cam, and Fox Heaven in Dublin Ireland, where Marge lives.  She feeds foxes too each evening. I would think there is no mice problem in Dublin with all the foxes I see.
I did spend a very nice day with Mary yesterday.  We went on a bus to The International Restaurant in Vermillion, Ohio.  Then cruised the Vermillion River on the Mystic (something) boat for a couple hours.  What a nice day away. There was a lot of beautiful scenery and hand holding.  Was very nice.  I am happy this morning.
On that note I will leave you to get something done with your weekend. LOL

calihoula

« Reply #27365 on: September 16, 2023, 04:49:28 PM »

4:25 on yes joho ponies fat ponies
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #27366 on: September 16, 2023, 09:01:56 PM »

Horses ...  28:24     100°  (4:34 pm)   Sunny, some cloudiness,  Breezy.

I hope all is well with everyone.

Hi Cal     Well, because Biden seems to feel genuinely proud of his families Blue Collar background, I think he would very honestly be for the Unions.

Hi Joho     That is quite a collection of cams.  I also like Cams of different cities and countries.  I guess your Dublin Cam may be like that.  I watched a Cam of a street in Essex, England with my grandson, Robert, when he was maybe 10 or so, and he asked what we would do if we saw someone being mugged?  Scary thought, and I had to admit that we could not be of any immediate help to them.  Who would you call and how long would it take?  Luckily, it never happened.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 09:53:53 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #27367 on: September 16, 2023, 11:07:08 PM »

Neva, I would email Marge in Dublin. She could call the police.
Good night now EV 1.  GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #27368 on: September 17, 2023, 04:56:39 AM »

Thinking of Hope, No Shots Yet - UPDATE September 16, 2023

Hope on 4/29/2010
Thinking of Hope now 12 years after losing her to a bullet, I was glad to not the hear any shots. In fact, we have not heard a single shot this hunting season. Crossing our fingers.

Sharon’s Bear News just came out with eight nice pictures of our Ambassador Bears. Click here to read the update: Bear News – September 16, 2023 - North American Bear Center

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27369 on: September 17, 2023, 05:18:09 AM »

hi you guys light burned out in here so just the light from my monitor and my typing skills and sometimes they are pretty poor. to change this light bulb big progress getting ladder out of garage and getting it all the way in here getting up it having new bulb in pocket of my flannel shirt and watching out for mr kitty who lays on the floor on his blanket. i did not read the update just headline happy no shots but i know hte sad story of hope cant go there again. its 54 here 46 in ice 76 in kviv soon be winter for ukraine and i hope this winter they will be able to keep their heat on better from putin than last winter

hi neva biden caught between the envirement and auto workers electric cars really cuts out alot jobs union wants something done about that. envir important too like a catch 22 but people need to have their livihood you know feed our kids our pets ourselves etc. i watched the weather channel last night maine coast wow and nova scotia in canada that wind and all them trees power out every where read on nantucket i use to love that show wings nantucket most expensive place to travel too reg room is almost 700.00 a night houses are in short supply

hi joho i have seen most the cams you listed wish i had more time to watch cams but i dont.  i like watching this key west live duval street in front of sloppy joes when i am in here feeding the cats i will watch for a bit while petting them. i also saw fred wilma jumping from that tree with there kids goose family i also watched the whooping cranes flying with a plane glider leading the way pretty neat seeing that.

yesterday when i was in the barn i heard a horse whinny and indy he heard it too and he was answering her back then i head it again but i heard it was the radio not her. jesse james days in kearney this weekend and it has a rodeo a trick rider and horse whinny in it. indy did not fall for it again either. he went out friday and when i drove the gator in to get him i had his grain sitting in gator had his lead rope tied to bars inside gator i called him he looked back but stayed there jim went to walk out to him and he threw his head did his little rodeo mule and charged past jim and ran as fast as he could to me. what a pretty boy he is.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/E1055D5BAE0D?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27370 on: September 17, 2023, 08:50:00 AM »

5:55 Good morning EV1.  Indy loves you Cal.  I forgot about Duval St. and crane cam. Thanks for reminding me Cal.  Also, the cruise boats down the street from there too.
Hi Neva. Cul later probably.
 Not done with paper yet and second coffee getting cold.  I did satisfy my addiction to the morning puzzle. LOL
Now coffee time and start waking others up for the day.  You know who was up at 6, but nothing lately. LOL  I will start with her.

neva

« Reply #27371 on: September 17, 2023, 06:07:26 PM »

Llama ...  30:40     100°  (3:37 pm)  Sunny + a few clouds and a light breeze. 

Hi Cal   You are right, I had forgotten about the electric cars.  I feel sorry for Biden having to be caught up in that discussion, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't and it can't be avoided.  I heard on the local news that they are testing driverless trucks in our area.  That sure makes me nervous.

Hi Joho     Well you had Marge's email addy, I didn't have anyone's addy in Essex.  And, how long before someone checks their email?  I guess one could gather up phone numbers of the locals before watching a camera.  Most of us are not inclined to.  I remember thinking that it is good that the British have cameras all over the place.  If you aren't up to no good, then why object too them?  I still feel the same way now.  A close friend of mine in Iowa had one of those doorbell cameras on her house, and someone stole it -- can you imagine that?

Abby Road Crossing  (Beatles / London)   
           https://www.earthcam.com/world/england/london/abbeyroad/?cam=abbeyroad_uk
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 06:37:48 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #27372 on: September 18, 2023, 05:08:18 AM »

hi you guys its 51 here 44 in ice 77 in kviv still no light in here oh 61 in the barn i got to watch some of the first part of the chiefs game and they did not look so hot while i was in the barn for second part they looked hot i had the radio on got updates on the game happy we won it. 

hi neva i can believe someone stole her doorbell camera did they see who did it? rues use to watch that cam robin went there and was on it thanks for it. i talked to ca yesterday young guys working in his area saying lets walk out strike we dont have a contract but you do have one fool union agreed to stay working under existing one you walk you is fired period fired jim wanted to make sure ca knew that and ca did he said telling them you leave you are fired no one left but if they do they do fired on them. anyway niece jeanne told me cindy got a new car alice cindy is cas wife. ca said her car was having some trouble time to go she is also very handicapped and she only goes to her mom and takes her mom to the doctor cannot be broke down anywhere. her car is 10 years old chevy 80,000 miles on it. ca said they went to ford and saw the escape she wanted them they called that place where you can get a new car out of a vending machine they came out and bought her old car right them wrote a check for almost 9 grand said they would direct deposit the money right then go to their bank but ca said check is fine they loaded it up and left they put the money in the bank check was good. what a deal they did not even drive it just bought it ca said good cause if her car got hot it would start to mess up some.

hi joho jim let indy out yesterday morning after two hours he said do you want him in yes he will want back in i came out and jim was at indys gate and indy standing there looking for me. did not even need the gator just lead rope and i gave my boy some grain and he came in the barn.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D4055D551CFE?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27373 on: September 18, 2023, 10:16:47 AM »

6:14 Thanks Neva. That is one of Joan's favorite Beatles images too.  Seems odd to see the traffic on "wrong" side.  Not to mention crooked traffic lane marks.
I said Indy loves you Cal.  Not just the oats.  LOL  The strike is serious business.  So is government stoppage.  Why oh Why can't we just get along?  God help us. Please.
Did not see Mary yesterday.  Sent her lots of pictures as I traveled over this part of Ohio.  Saw lots of things she would like to see, but she was busy at home helping neighbors.  Today she will be crafting a lot, but tomorrow I will take her to dinner at 6 pm.  Can't wait.  She is curious of how I am getting along with others.  We have serious talks, and laugh a lot too.
Had a little rain.  I went out with my water jugs to sprinkle Debbie's posies and got soaked by a downpour.  LOL  Who knew?
Bye EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

calihoula

« Reply #27374 on: September 18, 2023, 02:48:07 PM »

3:07 gull

hi joho i walked walmart this morning got groceries then went over to harps unloaded stuff barn etc i think i did pretty good pushing the cart loading up stuff unloading usually i get out of breath but did okay today cali doing okay today with shortness of her breath maybe its pollen allergies im getting tired now but got up little before three am oh we got channel four back yesterday nbc i read nfl mad over blackout from netstar to directv for one cant see football games loser is customers so got it back.