Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1123677 times)

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27285 on: August 29, 2023, 01:19:03 PM »

I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #27286 on: August 30, 2023, 04:47:40 AM »

hi you guys its 70 here 52 in ice 87 in kviv and 70 in the barn big huge full moon out this morning. lots of flooding in florida there is just no way i would ever want to live there. we have friends that moved there rick said its hot and humid they are either in the ac house or the pool rick you did that back here.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C5055D54B68B
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27287 on: August 30, 2023, 10:11:43 AM »

5:30  Misty and cool here along the South Shore.  Needed umbrella to walk to mailbox around the corner.  I am grateful I can walk, even in the mist. It was pleasant.  Very little wind.
 Saw Mary for just a second at her house yesterday when I dropped off some corn and tomatoes.  She went out with her girl friend for dinner.  So I was on my own. Made the most of it though.  Went out and found several deer in the fields at dusk.  Saw some really impressive bucks.  Wish I could get photos of them.  They are just so far away from the road I use my binoculars to see them.  I would need Doc's camera and his long lens to get their picture.  Rain has started in earnest now.  I can hear it dripping in the downspout outside my window.  I am very glad to not live in Florida.  Wow! weather is so vicious there.  I guess that applies to any where near the Gulf Of Mexico.
Well, don't know what day will bring.  I am hoping to be happy today at least.  So far so good. LOL No birdy babies, no bears, oh but yes back yard animals in Ohio and 24 hour animals in Oregon are still coming and going.  Yesterday I saw the mom and her "little human" in Oregon putting out food in amongst the flock of turkeys and a deer family.  It was magical to see such trust. 
I will watch them again today and let it rain, let it rain, let it rain. LOL

CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #27288 on: August 30, 2023, 05:00:52 PM »

Firetruck ...  19:47     106°  (2:23 pm)  Same old, same old...   Sunny w/ clouds building to the east.  51% chance of rain.  Not at this house, I bet.           (It did rain at about 5 pm - and was a pretty wild storm for about a half hour)

I hope you are all having a pretty decent day.

Hi Cal     I had a couple of aunts that moved to Florida in their old age.  Personally, I wouldn't live there if you gave it to me.  I'd sell it.  (Not really) ... can you imagine what it's going to be with the water rising?  Places like the Keys are likely to go under as well... and of course, Miami.

Hi Joho    Our weather, all over the country (all over the world actually) has changed so very much.  Think about when we all were quite young, we didn't have the stuff going on to the degree that we do now.  It used to be the Europeans watched us go through it, fires, floods, storms and all, and now they are getting it.  Who would ever have expected fire storms in Greece?  It's all pretty vicious weather these days in so many places.   I always wonder how many I will hear vowing to rebuild in the same place.    Maybe we don't know where to go these days --- where is it safe?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 02:51:34 AM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #27289 on: August 30, 2023, 10:08:41 PM »

It is safe right here in Elyria Ohio Neva. WYWH!
Good night and GBU

calhound

« Reply #27290 on: August 31, 2023, 04:53:29 AM »

hi you guys i got to get with my stuff bbl

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/21055D5CAFC3
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27291 on: August 31, 2023, 11:35:10 AM »

7;15 dragging my feet.  Nothing going on today. 
Have not seen Mary for three days.  She is busy with her neighbor.  Neva was right I don't fit in.  Too bad.  I will still help her all I can, and go the few places we planned to go if I can get registered in time.
 They fill up in minutes.  I have missed out several times.
Tomorrow at 9am is the start of  the first trip.  I will be there at 8am and wait.
A neighbor is texting me.  So I will go for now.  Hope your day goes as you wish.
Bye for now.  GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #27292 on: August 31, 2023, 03:58:21 PM »

Norway Lake House ...  31:44      100°   (12:54 pm)    Sunny w/ clouds and a light breeze.  We did get a wild half hour storm yesterday at 5 pm.

Hi Cal    I hope that your day is going well.

Hi Joho      If I said that in that way, Joho, I'm sorry.  It may not be that you specifically don't fit in.  There is another way to look at this.  I hate to say don't take it personally, but it may not be personal.  Older women, maybe a few younger ones too, after becoming widowed or divorced, may find that they prefer having their own space, making their own decisions and not being in a commitment anymore.  Freedom.  In that kind of a situation, being close friends without being a couple can be perfect for some people-- and it's nobody's fault.  It's not anything that you have done wrong.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 04:00:38 PM by neva »
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #27293 on: August 31, 2023, 05:13:13 PM »

i did not see where you said anything like that to joho neva your too nice but im not yes freedom! i would never ever commit again just my pets

joho three months ago you decided to look up mary for three months every day you go on about mary at one time you even said she has her own life but being on her magical patio i guess forget her life she should come here and read but you should be honest with her tell her you expect to see her every single day and if she doesnt want to then she has to tell you why. no more just living her life. see what she says
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #27294 on: September 01, 2023, 05:04:51 AM »

hi you guys its 64 here 53 in iceland 74 in kviv 65 in the barn.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/18055D537155?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27295 on: September 01, 2023, 04:02:09 PM »

6:20 pretty good for me on this hard puzzle.
I am happy today.  Did not do much, but did get done what I wanted to get done.  Plus Mary has asked me to come over later for dinner and a movie.  I am delighted, because I know that later is much better for her to relax. I will be glad to see her two little girl dogs, Molly and Maggy.
We will have burritos, chips, corn on the cob, kettle corn, and some adult beverage.
I will let you know what the movie is tomorrow.  We did not pick it yet.  She has a lot of movies.
Well I got up extra earlt so I will go rest a while before I go out.
GB U EV1 GB Ukraine.

calhound

« Reply #27296 on: September 02, 2023, 05:16:02 AM »

hi you guys its 61 here 51 in ice 71 in kviv i saw on cnn earlier nicki haley  Nikki Haley called the U.S. Senate "the most privileged nursing home in the country" after Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell froze  i think that man should retire too asking him if he was planning on running again! say what! also said 3 out of 4 americans think that should be an age when you have to retire from senate.

hi neva hi alice

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/93055D54EDDA?z=0

neva

« Reply #27297 on: September 02, 2023, 03:42:58 PM »

Carousel Horses ... 34:36     96°   (12:55  pm)   Sunny w/ clouds.   It is close to being overcast.  We got a bit of rain yesterday - nothing wild, thankfully.

Hello everyone, especially Alice.  I hope all is well.

Hi Cal      I agree with you about Mitch McConnell.  He needs to think about the good of the country. not just his own personal career agenda. 

Hi Joho      That is a nice dinner that you are looking forward to.   Dinner and a movie ... that is a good plan.   
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #27298 on: September 03, 2023, 05:13:42 AM »

Only Good News - UPDATE September 2, 2023

RC's single cub by L. Kennedy
In this tense time, we have yet to hear a shot, and in the last few days two bears turned up we’ve been hoping to see—24-year-old RC and 20-year-old Colleen. In this year of abundant wild food, we’ve been wondering where a lot of ‘regulars’ are, but then Ursula and Bow showed up plump and healthy like we are now seeing with RC and Colleen.

Colleen by L. Kennedy
Colleen by L. Kennedy

The local Timberjay newspaper seconded what we are saying about good food and the lack of shots with a long headline saying, “Advantage goes to bears as season opens Friday—Adundant natural foods should be a factor limiting hunter success.”RC by L. Kennedy
RC by L. Kennedy

Earlier this year we were seeing very few bears during the bumper crop of Juneberries, along with blueberries and raspberries and wild sarsaparilla berries. Then came a huge crop of chokecherries with reports of the same for wild plums—all bear favorites. Diversionary feeding can keep bears out of trouble when wild foods are scarce, as we happily saw happen in the drought years of 2020 and 2021, but nothing we can offer can compete with the bumper crops of favorite wild foods this year.

Not only were RC and Colleen looking plump, so was RC’s lone male cub that got all her milk plus all the berries he wanted and likely some fresh hazelnuts. He looks like he weighs a good hundred pounds. Hazel nuts were around but it was berries that were making branches hang low. Lorie got a picture of RC’s big, timid cub up a tree looking more like a yearling than a cub. I don’t know if we’ll be able to get a weight on him because he is totally timid. He has probably seen few people in his life.

At 24, RC is starting to show her age. Lorie got a good shot of her face showing a lot of white hairs. Colleen at 20 is getting a few, too, as Lorie captured in her picture.

We’re crossing our fingers for all the bears we know, hoping that they can live out their lives revealing their ways for us to learn and share. With bears in this area living longer than most, we have an opportunity to learn a new part of their lives—the effects of senescence. Very little is known about this because in most areas, bears cannot escape human-related causes of death long enough to reach old age, and those that die of natural causes are not usually found until it is too late for a necropsy. If we are allowed to use radio collars, we have the best chance that we know of to learn how old age affects foraging, body weight, reproduction, travels, territoriality, relations with other bears, and whatever we might find thorough necropsies performed by the University of Minnesota’s Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory. Necropsies can also reveal the affects of aging on blood parameters, plaque build-up, arthritis, organ failure, myelopathy, and more, some of which we saw with 26-year-old Midge (Dykstra, J.A., L. L. Rogers, S. A. Mansfield, and A. Wünschmann. 2012. Fatal disseminated blastomycosis in a free-ranging American black bear (Ursus americanus) Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 24(6) 1125–1128). In the meantime, we want the bears who have touched our hearts to live healthy lives as long as possible.

For 24-year-old RC, I’m wondering if this healthy male might be her last cub. Her next would come when she is 26, which was the long-standing record for the oldest mothers (two that I know of) to give birth before Shadow had Spanky at 28 for a new record. On the bright side, with Shadow as RC’s mother, she might have one or two more litters. Little is known about the age that most bears stop reproducing.

Thank you Lorie for the pictures and thank you all for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #27299 on: September 03, 2023, 05:29:51 AM »

hi you guys its 62 here 48 in ice 72 in kviv i was worried about reading the next update cause of bear murdering season is on so real happy to see nothing but good news. it was too. i hope that newspaper saying advantage to the bears that some hunters dont think well we will see about that and i am still happy no radio collars for them bears dr rogers cost june her life mother of jewel no dont need those collars and sure bears happy to not to have wear those big things.  must truly think of the bears.

hi neva i saw it said 90 for you good you got some rain. mr kitty in here is hurt. for last two and half weeks he has been walking very careful not jumping up on anything i think he hurt his left shoulder last week came in here and he was up and went out the door but then when he gets up or lays down he growls and just falls down trying to use that shoulder going to call vet tuesday get him in. he lays on top of this tall box with new computer in it on top of my files so pretty high up i think he jumped and landed bad. he does not growl all the time just when he lays back down gets up mostly laying down. sweetness staying close to him i got a bed on the floor for them.

hi alice! i got your email last week about how much you like that barn puzzle and how much you appreciate me posting one every day you are very welcome  :)

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/D1055D544E1A?z=0