Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1123832 times)

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27255 on: August 21, 2023, 06:03:25 PM »

hi neva! just finally got done i too so tired but came here hoping to find you! well you dont want flooding power out. funny i too remember when i was a kid down in our little town turkey creek would flood flood streets we would go down there then get a bbq sandwich at merriam bbq. yay david muir is here wow teenage girl 19 sentence to life she drove her car 100 miles an hour hit a brick wall killed boyfriend friend showed her driving this morning so humid wet everywhere trying to drive foggy bad my windshield thick with humidity slime i had to put wipers on high hit my spray deal it got to real feel 119 tomorrow say 120 plus all week that sad face here on radio this morning talking to kc mayor lucas he has police getting homeless up take to shelter cant lay out in this weather saying how dangerous this is barn got to 85 but still way better than outside indy sweets maybe birds mice raccoonies all okay. i had to stand under a vent or sweets fan work go to vent they stay under a vent with a fan. im happy you are okay neva! long nap good for you.

hi joho yes. that movie long riders action all the way thru it i saw i recorded last nov must of gotten all movie channels for weekend for free i saw it yes recorded it  i seen it way back when i am partial to westerns. love them but this one yes what a cast and took place in my area i been to jesse grave many times always has flowers stuff on it  took my mom my aunt ruth my dad my dad was thrilled we went more than once went to james farm saw their clothes clothes so small furniture house saw a little film they showed there saw the grounds tough men and women back then when frank james turned himself in he told that pinkerton i hate those pinkertons when the long riders found those two pinkies that blew up front of house killed the james 15 year old brother they confronted them and blew them away i rewound it watch again anyway frank handcuffed looking out open train door jesse coffin there frank saw men standing along train hats off paying respect to jesse and gov pardon frank full pardon cole younger got paroled out of prison he died at his home in lee summit jims uncle lives there he was 72 his brother jim got paroled too but suffered pain from injuries and year later killed himself youngest brother died in prison from tb
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #27256 on: August 22, 2023, 04:48:45 AM »

Lucy, Lilo, and Sharon’s Bear News - UPDATE August 21, 2023

Lilo
Seeing 7-year-old Lucy (Shadow, Blackheart, Braveheart, Samantha, Lucy) and her three female cubs is a joy each day. Mike and Lorie named the cubs Leilani, Lilo, and Lea, matching name length to cub size large to small. The picture is of Lilo descending from a white pine looking concerned because she can’t see mom Lucy who she shortly found and accompanied.

Sharon’s Bear News has great pictures and words about the ambassador bears learning and liking their new surroundings and how they (plus wild Lucy) prefer their eggs. Click the link below to read Sharon's Bear News.

Bear News – August 19, 2023
North American Bear Center

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27257 on: August 22, 2023, 04:52:24 AM »

Bear News – August 19, 2023
Bear Antics and Eggs

Bear Weights:
Lucky 474 lbs. (wet) • Holly 280 lbs. (wet) • Tasha 330 lbs.

Lucky squeezes in water tub
Lucky squeezes in water tub
Last week I saw Lucky lounging in his new tub, Tasha resting on the rock den, and Holly enjoying the scent of citronella.

Many photos have been taken of Lucky sitting in Tasha’s tub lounging. A few days later a new tub appeared and Lucky owned it. He is interesting when he sits in it. He will put his face and nose in first, then his front paws, and then he tries digging at it as if it will enlarge. Finally he sits, slumps and puts his feet up. He knows how cute he is.

Tasha naps on rock den
Tasha naps on rock den
Holly on cam, rubbing her back after dropping the avocado
Holly on cam, rubbing her back after dropping the avocado
Tasha and Holly have begun playing again. It seems like it’s been a long time with estrus, challenges and dominance issues. Holly is still in control and still the matriarch. Tasha took her turn to rest and nap on the rock den. The woodchucks seem to have vacated the area.

Holly was holding an avocado under her chin while she was marking on the tree at the top of the falls. I think the interns had rubbed citronella on the bark. It is a scent that Holly loves. As she was getting into her rub, she dropped the avocado. When she had finished rubbing her back in citronella, she again retrieved her avocado.

Holly taking her meds
Holly taking her meds
On August 9 around 3:00 pm we noticed Holly limping and holding her left front leg up. We put her in Den 1 and took pictures. Later, Spencer got some better pictures of a legitimate wound.

Our veterinarian prescribed an antibiotic in case of infection and we kept her in Den 4 until it looked better. After just 4 days of rest and healing, Holly was out in the main enclosure. Her wound is looking good although it hasn’t closed yet. She proceeded to climb up the fence giving me a good view of the wound. She lapped up her medication which was pulverized and mixed with blackberry jam and cranberries. She used her left paw to scrape the cranberries towards her mouth and used her tongue to retrieve all the jam. In 2012, Dr. Rogers wrote in his updates about some of the research bears having a variety of wounds and mentioning how quickly they healed.

Tasha eats chicken egg
Tasha eats chicken egg
Holly eating chicken egg
Holly eating chicken egg
Do bears eat eggs?

The bears at the bear center love chicken eggs. They have to be in the shell, not cooked or broken. Lucky actually drools when he sees an egg. Many years ago we tried an experiment. It would have been with Ted, Honey and Lucky. Ted and Honey ate the farm fresh egg but Lucky only wanted the store-bought egg. That happened in 2008, today we only buy store bought eggs. Eggs are a part of their breakfast here. A bear’s diet is less than 10% protein. Black bears are omnivores and opportunistic eaters.

“Animal Protein. Insects and animal matter are less than 10% of the annual black bear diet around Ely and across most of North America.” Click for more on Animal Protein from our website.

Lucky eats chicken egg
Lucky eats chicken egg
Each of our bears have unique ways of eating their eggs. Holly cracks the egg gently in her mouth, laps up the egg with her tongue and then eats the shell. The egg shell contains 95% calcium carbonate, 3% phosphorus and 3% magnesium. Holly, like Honey, eats the shell but not all the time.

Lucky, gently cracks his egg, his butt has to be up, he cradles the egg between his front paws and he enjoys lapping it up. If you hold it and show it to him, he will start drooling. Tasha just cracks the egg and eats it quickly. No fuss, no muss, just good eating.

Dr. Rogers wrote about Jewel eating eggs out of a nest in 2012 “She (Jewel) rousted a Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) from its nest and ate the eggs—shells and all.” (Read more by clicking here) and video as well: (Click to view) This link will start the video at the moment Jewel begins eating the eggs.

Dr. Rogers also talked about a bear eating painted turtle (Chrysemys picta) eggs in his update on June 11, 2021. “What made it interesting was that Lucy ate egg after egg without leaving a single shell. Usually we see empty shells where a fox has eaten turtle eggs. We don’t know if bears always eat the whole egg or if this was something that Lucy does. We’ll be watching.” (You can read the full update by clicking here.)

We have several nuts and dried fruits listed on our Amazon Wishlist if you would like to help feed our bears it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for all you do.
Sr. Bear Keeper, Sharon Herrell
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27258 on: August 22, 2023, 05:00:04 AM »

hi you guys well its hot and humid out nice cool inside the barn 62 in ice 80 in kviv 74 in the barn ac was running when i went in shut off before i left. little lilo cute bear looking for her mom then later be that horrid family break up hard to read about that or think about it.  lucky just fits in that tub his weight lucky a little tub himself

gb ukraine gb maui gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/7A055D536360?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27259 on: August 22, 2023, 07:21:51 AM »

5:51 Stayed in the AC yesterday.  Did finally go out in the evening.  It was very cool.  Even now it is only 66 degrees at 8am.  I will walk around the block soon.  Did stop in to see Mary last night.  We watched the three hour show of the Bachelorette. Mary is a fan of anything Bachelor.  Me not so much, because I cannot understand what is being said, but I am a fan of Mary, and her girls.  So I was happy to just be with them all for the evening.  Today is Mary's widow group day.  I will see her this evening though.  We are going to the movie theater to see "Strays".  Only because the lead is a Boston Terrier, and Mary is a fan of the breed.  Her new dog Maggie is I think the fourth for her.  Maggie is a bundle of energy and love.
Neva our fair runs from Sunday to Sunday, with the first Sunday free entry, and on Thursday military and seniors are free.  I usually go several long days, but it is getting harder and harder for me to walk the grounds like i wish.  Most of the real fair activity is in the early hours from 8 until 10.  So I miss a lot since I go later.  I make up for it in the evening.  Many times I have been there until the concessions closed up and they threw us out.
Will start on walk now while cool.  CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 07:23:58 AM by johoward »

neva

« Reply #27260 on: August 22, 2023, 03:12:46 PM »

Donkey ...  26:26    92°   (11:56 am)   Sunny w/clouds, and no wind.

I hope all is well with all of you.

Hi Cal    I agree with you, I hate the family break-ups.  Poor babies, I know that Mom has taught them what they need to know, but it still has to scary for them. 

Hi  Joho       I've been to our State Fair twice, but never to our County Fair.  I just never got around to it.  But, I always made sure to get to the twice yearly,  Fourth Avenue Street Fair, near Downtown and the University.  That was great fun... especially in the 70s and early 80s.  You are right ... late afternoon and evening is often better, and it is a nice place to meet your friends there. These days it would be difficult, but not impossible.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #27261 on: August 23, 2023, 05:00:49 AM »

hi you guys its 80 hot humid again  :( 61 in ice 80 in kviv 74 in the  barn ac was running when i went in still running when i went back out but cool in there 74

hi neva i saw on the weather channel said thunderstorms for tucson at the bottom but it also said no rain for next 60 minutes so i dont know did you get rain? no rain here nothing but intense heat and that thick awful humidity. dogs yard needs mowing cause of humidity grass soaking wet in the morning but i am not going to mow it. schools getting out early no sport which of course should not be. said buses are over a 100 degree in there. i do not remember my school bus getting that hot back then but being kids probably did not bother us. it does now. news begging people to bring their pets in the house in the ac how awful beg someone to do that when it should be in the first place happy indy and sweets and maybe and all of them have a cool barn even in the afternoon still only got up to 85 if you stood under a vent it was okay and fan helps out alot too. i hate family break ups something i do not like about the bears lucky tasha holly so lucky always have their human family. yes be extremely scary for those little bears. i think fairs should be held around here in late sept early may some are. if no animals are there then go for it.

hi joho i watch no reality tv at all. i dont get much tv time and sure would not waste it on that.  does mary have a full time job like a 9-5 job?  or is it part time seems she is free to go do alot of her stuff take care of her dogs i saw you are getting nice weather looked like heat was starting to move up toward your way i hope not.

gb ukraine gb maui gb all animals gb all of us and please take away this heat and humidity

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/7B055D54763F

johoward

« Reply #27262 on: August 23, 2023, 07:09:09 AM »

5:53  Nice here so far. 65 degrees at overcast at7:50 am.  Went to dinner and a movie last night.  Was a great evening.
Today Mary is taking Molly to Akron Animal Specialty Hospital for eye surgery to remove her second detached lens from inside her eyeball.  They will be away for three days lie they were last year when the other eye was done.  Molly will see but not clearly.  The benefit to her will be the pain relief from reduced eye pressure.  She has been taking eyedrops for the pain and pressure. She is a little chiuwawa Weiner mix and is just all heart and adoration.
I will pray for Molly to be more comfortable.  Cal much like you, Mary is busy with her own list of duties not with employment. She has two terrariums and two fish tanks with hundreds of little creatures swimming and crawling around. Her favorite place to go is the nearest pet store.  She usually comes back with a new pet to care for.  The most recent are two little eels.  I think she calls them larches.
 She also has lots of friends she helps out on a regular basis.  She is dedicated to keeping her yard and home spiffy.  It gets a little hard for her sometimes, because all her neighbors love to stop in and visit on her back patio whenever they come by.  She welcomes all.
Neva, I would give you my electric scooter if I could for the fair. 
Bye now ev1 GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #27263 on: August 23, 2023, 04:26:55 PM »

Ol' Blue Eyes ...  28:03     94°  (2:01 pm)   Sunny w/ wispy clouds and windy.   We got a little bit of rain yesterday evening; not much.

I hope your day is moving along as you hoped it would. 

Cal     I don't understand either how people can have animals and not care enough for them, neglecting their needs for shelter, food and all else that they need.  They just stick them out in a yard and ignore them.  When I see that, I get so upset.  For me, they are a part of my family. 

Joho    Mary does seem to have a full life, full of the things that she really cares about. One could not ask for more, really.  And she does include you.
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #27264 on: August 24, 2023, 02:10:04 AM »

It is almost three am here.  I found Mary on Messenger.  She is worried about little Molly's eye surgery in the morning.  If it were anyone else the eye would be removed, but Mary wants Molly to have the best chance for a normal seeing life as she can.  She is paying thousands of dollars to try to make this happen.  She will not regret it as long as Molly gets the relief we are all hoping for.  I am praying for Molly. She is such a sweetheart of a dog.
 So delicate and tiny in every way.  Mary always puts on her pearls and a tiny flowery dress with a tiny sweater over all.  She wraps Molly up like a papoose every night and tucks her into her kennel bed.  Tonight though Molly is sleeping in Mary's bed snuggled into her side.  Mary sent a picture on Messenger.  Molly looks oblivious and happy to sleep in mom's bed. 
Mary told me to leave her alone now and get some sleep.  I think I will. Good night all. GBU and GB Ukraine

calhound

« Reply #27265 on: August 24, 2023, 05:11:18 AM »

hi you guys its 84 here humidity is at 94% 74 ac in the barn 61 in ice 80 in kviv saw on the world news looks like putin got even with that wagner guy. showed putin all smiling and happy.

hi neva jim mows front which is so many acres i mow dogs yard indys pasture side yard i tell him to leave it overgrown against the house there by my bedroom window like a corner deal one side is my bathroom then bedroom so rabbits whatever can have shelter hide i told jim not like we are out to impress anyone not going to be in home and gardens like we would ever want that. i want animals to have shelter safety food and water no matter what. done this my whole life.

hi joho i think the only thing i have in common with mary is i love my dogs too but my dogs are huge not little dogs that would be so much easier to pick up and care for. i am handicapped dont think mary is and i live on a farm! mary does not i have a whole barn to care for and full of animals you know this i also have a "job" i do all the bookkeeping for our ac business my cpa thinks its a job jim got more ac work to do this week i will have to have time for the paper stuff and go to the bank today and whenever i have to go somewhere it takes awhile cause i am rural! nothing is close. i have all these cats my mom cats feed wildlife put out fans for nest on front porch and down out of the walkout for little baby birds. i worry about all the animals. when drama needed that special surgery there was one in blue springs take about an hour to get there get back can not be gone no 3 days i got other animals to care for good vets around here when ed was still practicing i would put him up to any vet anywhere. no one comes here without calling first and we call first too. put the dogs up cause they are big and aggressive to others if that gate was open cause jim at his shop and if he saw someone pulling up our driveway he would be right up here. again i really am working all day long dont have time to sit and entertain i only knew one person who worked harder than me on taking care of animals my mom not only did she take care of animals she had us kids and my brother had serious birth defects could not walk feed himself she did it all and my dad drank.  my grandmother helped out but she had a job and had to work too. 

hi alice  :)

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/72055D5AB5D3?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27266 on: August 24, 2023, 09:53:14 AM »

4:58  Wow Cal.  How do you do it all.  Tell me how are Sweets and the others in your barn doing theses hot days.  What a blessing for them you and Jim put AC in the barn with lots of insulation.  Lots of storming and flooding around here all night and still this morning too.  I will skip the fair until Sunday I think.  I was going today. It's senior day, way to wet and messy all over.  Sky just starting to lighten up some.  Rain has just stopped from last evening all night. Still a little distant thunder which may be coming.  I am worried about Mary's nice finished basement that is prone to flooding, and where she relaxes with all her little friends.
  She loves little stuff.  Even bugs.  LOL She has pet Isopods and a T shirt that says she would be glad to stop and talk Isopods any time.  People do stop her to talk.  Who knew?
 Lorrie just texted me that the mail has arrived down around the corner.  Rain is stopped.  So I will go get it and finally get my morning pills and breakfast.
B ye for now CUL EV 1 GBU and GB Ukraine

neva

« Reply #27267 on: August 24, 2023, 02:31:13 PM »

Three horses ...  35:33     94°  (11:45 am)   Sunny w/ fluffy clouds to the east.  Very light breeze at the moment.  No rain is expected in my area today. --- who knows?

I hope that all is well with all of you.

Hi Cal    You are one of the people that I have always admired most.  I know that I could not do it... and you don't even stop to consider whether you can do it or not, you just get it done, and with a good heart.  Your animals are so blessed.

Hi Joho    I didn't recognize the word  _Isopod_ so I asked  Alexa what it is.  I guess someone has to love them.  There is a woman at the Fry's that we shop at, she works there, we have been friendly acquaintances for a few years now, and relatively recently, I found out what her passion is.  She collects snakes and Tarantulas, and some of her snakes are big ones.  YIKES!  I'm glad we are not on a come over for lunch basis with our friendship, but I do really like her.  We could have lunch at my house, but I would really not care to be introduced to her collection, up close and personal.

(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #27268 on: August 24, 2023, 05:34:51 PM »

hi neva got done early so hot here dogs yard needs mowing but i cant just too hot too hot for my mower it was 86 in the barn where i stand to comb indy treats no vent overhead one by my work area like five feet back from indys gate he has five vents in his area sweets has three plus big fan one over door one by step ladder where racconies big fan is one by where maybe sleeps but humidity is so high morning everything is sopping wet grass grows sun goes down barn temp goes down still hot out but no sun barn go down to 74 raccoonies be sleeping on hay lay by fan some wait by side door for me at 3 am i told tatum gloria walmart girls load up my groceries i need a bigger car feed ton of raccoonies she said we love you do that sure they appreciate that. when i went to use my little bucket get water from ac out of big bucket saw at bottom green catapillar in the water one that gets on tomato plants i remember when i grew them my mom said you dont want them dust your plant oh mom i cant do that so i got it out put it under an ac vent to dry it out not moving i laid it down on hay under a vent filled raccoonies water bowls with that water came back it was moving along!  :)  neva xoxo yes i just get it done
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #27269 on: August 25, 2023, 05:06:30 AM »

Lily, Lucy, and Lucy’s cubs - UPDATE August 24, 2023

Lucy and two of her cubs
With the last Black Bear Field Course of the year ending today, as participants talked about their highlights Chickadee on hand - J. Hill
Chickadee on hand
- J. Hill
I heard special enthusiasm for two kinds of experiences. One was time spent with calm Lily who they have followed here and online for years, the other was time spent with Lucy and her cubs. Of special interest was Lucy’s calmness with participants but stirred terror in the male bears she told in no uncertain terms to stay away from her cubs. But despite her rushes that looked and sounded ferocious, there was never any contact. For me, it was great to be among yet another group of participants whose hearts for bears showed me again not only how lucky I am to experience what I do but how lucky I am to be able to share such experiences with people who share my interests, feelings, and desire to learn.

A highlight that might seem minor by comparison was hearing over and over about chickadees at the Bear Center showing trust by landing on people’s hands.

Nice times.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center