Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1126339 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27015 on: July 03, 2023, 05:24:09 AM »

hi you guys its 67 here 60 in ice 79 in kviv and 70 in the barn. got to get groceries real soon so hurrying always hurrying always

hi joho dr rogers says here in the update he is looking forward bear course starting today i hope you have fun learn stuff and be careful.

hi neva mom cats goes wed she is back to letting me pet her her kittens no but they are eating very good and keeping mouth shut cause mom back with them. they get up in my clothes hanging in there peek out watch me. dogs still out in kitchen not cali but she does not have a big mouth and goes right to sleep for the night i got mad last night penny brownie barking and barking i was so tired went to bed at 8 pm and those dogs woke me up over and over at midnight i got up slammed my door jim looked out i said you need to tell them dogs to shut up and open the gate why cant they come in there with you so this morning trying to do the barn stuff feed everyone dogs were barking and he slammed his door. so no help this morning use to that.  yes neva stay off the roof!! already kids burn and hurt around here from fireworks. i sure do hope your neighbor will be okay. falls so scary very scary. its hot for you. yes do not walk your dogs and pavement take off your shoes and YOU walk it. hope our joho has a good time he just up and went all that way pretty brave really.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/E0055D5419B5?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #27016 on: July 03, 2023, 10:35:24 AM »

hi neva i got jim a big breakfast at mcdonalds got my groceries no chips said sold out but had rest of it got home jim unloaded all the stuff happy about bbreakfast he had cleaned out indys area halter on i sprayed him down for flies its hot here but indy was happy to go out tomorrow inside jim said girls were barking cause someone shooting off fireworks so he did what he never does turned up the tv girls went to sleep i said oh you did something for them not yourself i will try to take them with me tonight dont want mom cat upset jumping up knocking my stuff on the floor i was cleaning in there earlier then sitting on my stool petting mom one of the kittens third one caught came out rubbing by mom she licked it big purr from kitten as it walked away tail up oh that is a boy for sure. i even petted him some got to check on indy we let him out yesterday with his reg halter time to come in he would not let jim get him so gator i drove in had little grain bowl sitting there jim went down to indy he ran from jim straight to me i had lead rope but i was just a little far away i scooted up indy watching here boy grain i hurried latched lead rope then i pulled it thru gator bar there indy pulled back but he cant move that gator he stopped. ty mom jim got it walked him up to barn oh please mom let indy just go in and he did did not have to go get be nice halter.   :)
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #27017 on: July 03, 2023, 06:46:17 PM »

Barrel Cactus ...  30:15      108°  (4:44 pm) Sunny, a few wispy clouds, and windy.

I hope your day has been going well.

Cal    Yes, Joho is both brave and smart to have gone off to enjoy this adventure.  He'll be thinking about and enjoy this trip for a long time. 

My daughter, Michelle, has problems like that.  The two dogs sleep in her room.  Plus a couple of cats that want in and out of the room all night.  Zoe, the Cairn Terrier is no problem.  She enjoys her sleep and once she settles in, she is there to stay, a bit of snoring and all.  The other one, Harlow likes to get up and go out at about 5 am. "... and while we're at it, how bout a game of Soccer?" ...    She's a year old now, but we probably have another year of being puppy-ish left to go.

Indy sure has a mind of his own.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #27018 on: July 04, 2023, 05:16:51 AM »

Bears, Nature, and a Killing? - UPDATE July 3, 2023

Among the bears of the days was a visit by 8-year-old Spanky who was immediately recognized by his jerky gait, constantly open mouth, and head shape.

Mallard pair
Mallard pair

Common Merganser Pair
Common Merganser Pair

On the pontoon ride, we had good memories visiting Lily’s den where she gave birth to Hope back in 2010.Lily Hope den
Lily Hope den

Non-bear highlights on the ride was the placid nature along the way.

Eagle
Eagle

The visit to the eagles nest that is said to have two eaglets was disturbing as cameras caught something I haven’t seen before. I believe we witnessed and photographed a half-grown eagle killing its sibling like what happened in Maine on an eagle cam about this time of year in 2014. Photos showed the eaglet with its beak half open looking down at something in the nest, then diving its beak down onto it with its wings spread and back and keeping its head down and on it in action. From what I have read, fratricide is fairly common among eagle siblings. We’ll see how many eaglets we see at the nest from here on. It is something that makes a person sad to witness or think about.

Eagle juveniles tussle   Eagle juveniles tussle
Juvenile eaglets tussle
Tomorrow, I hope we see Lily and new mothers with cubs.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27019 on: July 04, 2023, 05:34:02 AM »

hi you guys its 74 here 53 in ice and 83 in kviv 70 in the barn saw the killing on update started to read on them eagles no thank you

hi neva we are having stressful times here jim heard a kitten out behind the barn where mom cats would be with her kids we  only saw 3 kittens but i checked her felt like she was nursing 5 not 3 and yesterday walking up the sidewalk i heard another one crying and it was in the engine of smokey popped the hood it came running out looks like its mom so we have set traps and worked on that all day long up to 8 pm still not going in the trap but crying put out dry food and lots of water and if they go in the barn food in there and cooler. vet called yesterday and had jim come get a sedative for howler for tomorrow give it to her at 6 am calm her he said i hope so she has been letting me pet her but going in that carrier another story like before jim wanted me to put her in that yesterday afternoon so hot too and take her out there so kittens could hear her and what jim run into that trap no not doing that at all!! be lucky to get in in that carrier for vet kittens need to go in have two set one by smokey and other back by hidey hole. i took penny and brownie with me last night and tv is always on and window ac on fan on they got in the bed oh thank you mom and they went to sleep they got up a couple times but went back to sleep cali out all night. she kicks in her sleep in my back but she cant help that. jim wanted indy to go out again yesterday and it was hot and after two hours the boy came running to me and jim got him he was ready to come in i told jim i do not care if he is a mule and they like hot weather hot dry jim here soaked in sweat in just a few minutes no going out for the rest of week for him fireworks today storms rest of week hope those kittens get in trap or in the dry barn they know how to get in there. in my trap by smokie i caught a little raccoonie. let it out brought the trap in at 8 pm yes indy has a mind of his own but we all do. harlow will have at least another year i am happy to be out of the puppy stage with mine. i grip about penny and brownie but it could be worse love puppies but alot of work alot.  neva i hope all of us have a safe fourth today and tonight no fire no one hurt. xoxo

i gotta go all my stuff and go back out and set traps put out food and water raccoonies should be done with the barn for awhile.

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/2E055D51E7A8?z=0

johoward

« Reply #27020 on: July 04, 2023, 07:20:23 AM »

hi

ev1

am here  was in the boat with doc when these pics were taken.  on slow laptop. will be off line til i get back home.

all is well  gbu and gb ukraine

neva

« Reply #27021 on: July 04, 2023, 06:09:38 PM »

July 4th ...  20:15      106°  (3;49 pm)   Sunny and breezy.

Hi Alice, and all that come here.  I hope your day has been going well.

Hi  Cal    I wish you luck with Mom and her kids.  We've had to do that before and it isn't easy, that is for sure.

Hi Joho ... sounds like you are having a great time.

https://jlcards.com/GG3aB4

« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 06:35:55 PM by neva »
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #27022 on: July 04, 2023, 06:59:05 PM »

this is the third time i typed this hour ago i went to check my trap heard kitten screamin been hearing it last two days hard on us on kitten jim ran out i was back by hidey hole jim set trap up on the little hill back there and caught it! it was really upset i said thats the one in smokey and he said it was his too so kitten in my closet too saw its mom got behind that big tub with others shut its mouth its 100 nice and cool in here and we are so happy i checked howler she been feeding 4 jim still going to see if anothrt but its quiet out there now. poor kid i gotta sleep howler goes in the morning but kittens are in!!    :)
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #27023 on: July 04, 2023, 08:21:02 PM »

That's great, Cal ... glad to hear it.    :)
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #27024 on: July 05, 2023, 06:17:04 AM »

hi you guys its 70 here been storming tree down somewhere around our roads jim will call and let me know when he gets to work howler goes in a bit she ate all that calming med vet sent for her  in her food  saw her three little ones but new one caught in hiding thats okay its been thru alot. it slept all night. i got to do business mo sales tax sometime today just always stuff too do but right now got to get stuff finish get howler in her cage hope that goes good jim will meet me at vet and carry her deal for me. wish us luck

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/2B055D54F0F5?z=0
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 06:18:36 AM by calhound »

calihoula

« Reply #27025 on: July 05, 2023, 11:43:20 AM »

hi joho just saw your boat post and your with doc!

calihoula

« Reply #27026 on: July 05, 2023, 11:53:02 AM »

hi you guys howler was really calm when i went in i had dogs up everything in car but her got her loaded up in front seat by me she did great its a way there halfway road very curvy she was getting restless she could see me i was talking to her she calmed down got there jim there lots of people pulling up got her in went to first room she weighed 7.3 lbs doc came in yes shots worm spayed he said get her between 4:30 5:30 ok 4:30 felt bad leaving her so once again i hope she forgives me. when that lady took her out she was upset got away door shut in room but i was upset she came to me so got her.her kids watching me from behind my hanging clothes in closet they want their mom they did eat some drank little milk did my chores fed everyone barn done  no kitten cries outside now kittens not crying inside either. no one has called me so hoping it went well. joho in ely with doc and bears!

calihoula

« Reply #27027 on: July 05, 2023, 06:25:39 PM »

howler did great got her at two spay pain shot last 3 days all shots rabies rabies tag we are rural wormed 240.00 more than last time i did this but jesse jims friend lives in ks they want 600.00 so him and his wife using our vet but he is booked thru aug so hurry jesse instruction keep her up 14 days nope kittens did not eat drink milk all day sat her in her carrier in there did barn stuff checked again carrier next to howler kitten in there i looked over at plate full of cat fud all gone all milk gone just needed her in there so later she was starving i let her out she totally forgave me purring loud she ate all her food drank her milk her blanket in there soaked with pee. i put my hoody sweatshirt on top of her carrier not far to jump i do not think she will go up real high she has not since first going in there im tired laying down she likes laying on top carrier but clean blanket in it.

neva

« Reply #27028 on: July 06, 2023, 04:57:52 AM »

I'm glad it went well, Cal.
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #27029 on: July 06, 2023, 06:32:08 AM »

Bear Foods Galore and a Misidentification - UPDATE July 5, 2023

Wild Raspberries
The talk this year is how few bears are being seen, and that includes at diversionary feeding sites. Wild foods, which they prefer are super abundant and looking like they will continue with greater diversity as we get into the peak weeks. We were optimistic for a good food year this spring when berry blossoms were not killed by late spring frosts. Then we worried that young berries would shrivel with the below average rain of June. They survived, and now we’re seeing a bonanza of abundant foods with more to come.

Chokecherries
Chokecherries

A super crop of juneberries (serviceberries, Amelanchier spp.) is still with us with blueberries coming on strong. We also have wild red raspberries (Rubus idaeus) and wild strawberries (Fragaria virginiana) and a bumper crop of chokecherries (Prunus virginiana) and, most importantly, beaked hazelnuts (Corylus cornuta) coming on.

Wild strawberries
Wild strawberries
 Beaked hazelnut
Beaked hazelnut
Diversionary feeding sites are not only having fewer visits than usual. Many of the familiar bears have yet to be seen at all with an increased variety of wild foods on the horizon as berry season approaches its peak.

We misidentified the bear we called Jake. He is Cedric, a non-clan bear with an unusually short lower jaw. We’re now keeping our eyes open for the real Jake and his brother Blake.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center