Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 1126193 times)

calihoula

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #27045 on: July 10, 2023, 02:00:39 PM »

Erdogan Says E.U. Must ‘Clear the Way’ for Turkey Before It Will Support Sweden’s NATO Bid
The Turkish president’s surprising new demand was bound to frustrate other leaders in the military alliance one day before a high-profile summit.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey sits in front of a flag.
“Nobody should expect compromise nor understanding from me,” said President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey.Credit...Umit Bektas/Reuters

Ben Hubbard
By Ben Hubbard
July 10, 2023
Updated 1:20 p.m. ET
ISTANBUL — President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey said on Monday that the European Union should open the way for Turkey to join the bloc before Turkey allows Sweden to join NATO, adding a surprising new condition that could further stall the military alliance’s efforts to expand.

Mr. Erdogan’s latest demand came a day before the opening of NATO’s two-day annual summit, where leaders, including President Biden, had hoped to secure unanimous approval from member states to allow Sweden to become the 32nd member.

That outcome now appears increasingly unlikely, with Mr. Erdogan posing the main obstacle to Sweden’s membership.

“First, clear the way for Turkey in the European Union, then we will clear the way for Sweden as we did for Finland,” Mr. Erdogan told reporters before traveling to the NATO summit.

Leaders of the European Union and NATO member states are not likely to respond positively, since they are separate organizations that have many overlapping members but entirely different purposes. Turkey applied to join the European Union in 1987, but there has been scarcely any progress in its bid since 2016, when the European Parliament voted to suspend accession talks while criticizing a vast Turkish government crackdown on political opponents after a failed coup against Mr. Erdogan.

NATO’s secretary general, Jens Stoltenberg, said on Monday that he supports Turkey’s ambition to join the European Union, but that it was not among the conditions set by officials from Turkey, Sweden and Finland last year at a NATO summit in Madrid.

“We need to remember that what we agreed in Madrid was a specific list of conditions that Sweden has to meet to be a full member of the alliance, and Sweden has met these conditions,” Mr. Stoltenberg told reporters in Lithuania.

Chancellor Olaf Scholz of Germany, which is a member of both the European Union and NATO, said that the two issues should not be linked.

“Sweden meets all the requirements for NATO membership,” Mr. Scholz told reporters in Berlin. “The other question is one that is unrelated, and so I don’t think it should be taken as a related issue
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calihoula

« Reply #27046 on: July 10, 2023, 02:05:13 PM »

can you believe the nerve of this thug?  i read awhile back eu not interested in having turkey said they for one not hooked with middle east and other reasons on no to turkey nato said turkey in nato erdogan is not
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

neva

« Reply #27047 on: July 10, 2023, 05:26:44 PM »

Macaw Bird ...  22:39    103°   (3:00 pm)     Sunny, clouds trying to build up to the east, a bit of a breeze.

I hope all is well with everyone that comes here each day.

Hi Cal ...    The Turks don't have a good history when it comes to their relationships to other peoples and cultures, even before this particular thug was around.  He doesn't recognize that Turkey is not a part of Europe.  He isn't doing anything for Turkey, he is doing for himself and his own sense of power.

The one past Turkish leader that was progressive for his people was Kemal Ataturk.  Too bad they didn't have him now.

"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #27048 on: July 11, 2023, 05:12:58 AM »

hi you guys itys 70 here 71 in the barn 53 in ice 72 in kviv

hi neva thanks for turkey history info when i get some time i will read on that. but an hour or so ago i saw on the world news showing biden and others at nato summit and neva said erdogan reversed his decision and sweden is in!! i cant believe it but that is what it said i have not googled it or watched anymore tv once i am up its awhile before i watch tv again but its on so i will try to see it while feeding the dogs etc. if true i wonder what happened for that fast change? so of course since they said sweden in that idiot in hungry went right along with it too. so if true hurry up and get sweden in!!

hi joho how come you have not posted here? are you okay?

gb ukraine and biden said ukraine cant be in nato till war with russia is over cause if not over drag nato in but once over ukraine should get right in but we all know how that could go and who might be our president then hope still biden gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/91055D58D5F5
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #27049 on: July 11, 2023, 11:09:59 AM »

Hi ev1,
 I am more than OK.  Just could not get caught up.  Still not.  I did finally take time for one puzzle.  Nice dog at 6:32.  Reminds me of a Dingo.
Had a great trip.  It was really all that I hoped for.  Was a hard two day drive each way.  First job when I dot back was to deliver a gift bag from my Amish friend Jacob to his mother in Spencer Ohio.  I did this yesterday with my Great Grandson Nick.  Took the whole day.  We went to get my newish tires balanced in Spencer Tire.  Then to see Anna and Emma Shetler at their Amish home.  This took a while to relate all the news I could remember, to share photos of Jacobs nice farm, and to share fish stories with these two ardent fisherwomen.  Nick was impressed. 
Then we went to Letha House lake in Medina Parks.  Here he caught a really big beat up old catfish which I have been wanting him to catch for two years.  I will try to text a photo to you both when I jump off our newsfeed. LOL  After fishing we stopped in Lagrange to see my very good old friend,  Bonnie.  We signed in right after her son Billie who calls me Uncle Howard.  So we had a brief but very joyous reunion.  Then I headed for Brian's house where he was waiting for Nick to get home.  Nick however, a very picky eater saw a McDonalds and had to have his all time favorite meal of chicken nuggets and fries.  He had been trying to find them all day it seems.
I gave a cabbage from Jacob's family to Shannon Nick's aunt with some nice MN deerskin gloves that sadly were a little too small for Mary for whom they were intended.  Shannon will cook up the cabbage for Brian, Nick, Odin and herself.  She did not want the whole head of fresh lettuce.  I don't know what I can do with this but I will try to eat it as fast as I can on sandwiches and salad.
See this is why I put off coming on.  I stay too long. Now it is already 12 here.  I don't want to but I must go do some other things. Laundry maybe, of course lunch, and I hope go see Mary who is house sitting with FIVE dogs.  Not all of whom are house trained.  Thank God they are at least tolerant of each other.
CUL EV 1  GBU and GB Ukraine.  Oh how I long for the day that God really blesses Ukraine and ends the killing. Good news today though on Turkey vs Sweden.

calihoula

« Reply #27050 on: July 11, 2023, 12:21:10 PM »

US moves on F-16 jets for Turkey after Sweden NATO U-turn
11 hours ago11 hours ago
Turkey has long sought the purchase of 40 F-16s from the US, and fresh talks with Washington come after Ankara ended its opposition to Sweden's NATO membership

United States Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has discussed support for Turkey's military modernization in a phone call with Turkish Defense Minister Yasar Guler, the Pentagon said late Monday.

It comes after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan agreed to send Sweden's accession protocol for joining NATO to parliament for approval.

The US stance on Turkey's military modernization

US President Joe Biden's administration has backed Turkey's desire to purchase 40 new Lockheed Martin Corp F-16 fighter jets along with modernization kits for its existing warplanes from the US.

"I stand ready to work with President Erdogan and Turkey on enhancing defense and deterrence in the Euro-Atlantic area," Biden said on Monday.

However, some in Congress, mainly Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Bob Menendez, have opposed the move over Turkey blocking NATO membership for Sweden, its human rights record and its relations with Greece, among other concerns.

Mendez, a Democrat, said that he was "continuing to have reservations" on providing the fighter aircraft to Turkey.

"If they (Biden administration) can find a way to ensure that Turkey's aggression against its neighbors ceases, which there has been a lull the last several months, that's great but there has to be a permanent reality."

Menendez added that there needs to be a way to "beef up Greece's security" and obtain "assurances about future actions."

What Turkey said about F-16 jets from the US

Meanwhile, Turkish President Erdogan said on Monday that his country's ratification of Sweden's NATO membership bid and the sale of F-16 jets are not to be linked to each other.

He made the comments before leaving for the NATO summit in Vilnius.

Erdogan is expected to hold further talks with Biden at the meeting on the purchase of F-16 fighters.

ya sure i saw on news erdogan still thinks eu should let him in ya sure

calihoula

« Reply #27051 on: July 11, 2023, 12:33:41 PM »

hi joho! first i hope you guys let that poor old beat up catfish go.  :( you busy too. i just did barn again fed everyone again ordered groceries walmart will pick up at 7 am tomorrow big storms coming tonight i think its going to be neva hot here but not dry heat its wet and sticky happy i mowed yesterday morning at 6:30 am was really cool grass very wet but i got my side deal that blows out grass tied keep it wide open. once we had ten dogs now three penny brownie very big aggressive cali med old i have to keep her up when i go to the barn or downstairs bad air day too me and cali can tell that. did you have any problems finding the bear center? did you sleep in like a dorm have ac? did you see lots of bears see those beavers at beaver lodge?

neva

« Reply #27052 on: July 11, 2023, 06:27:47 PM »

Dog Lookup ...  25:31  (looks a lot like a African Basenji too)     106°  (3:58 pm) Sunny,  a little humidity creeping in from Mexico.  No rain here yet.

I hope your day has been going well so far.

Hi Joho ... I am glad to hear that you had a great time. You have an adventurous spirit. You certainly are busy. Good for you!  :)

Hi Cal ...    They had better hurry up and get Sweden in there before something changes.   and yes, lets make sure that Erdogan is really well armed.   ☹️  I know we have to, but it irks me.  It seems that treaties can make for strange bedfellows.

(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #27053 on: July 12, 2023, 02:42:46 AM »

Hi ev1,
It is 3am here. Yes Cal and the bluegill too.  They both swam safely away.  The catfish really stirred up the muddy bottom on his way. 
I did get to see Mary for a while last evening.  She had other company so I did not stay late like I usually would.  We all shared some good popcorn.   Which I promptly spilled on the deck.  This was a disaster because Mary does not allow any human food to pass the lips of her dogs.  There was a hectic scramble to pick up every scrap of popcorn before the pack of five got it.  I felt awful for being so clumsy and causing such a stir.   
Now at 3am Nature called. I just came in here to see if Mary was on FB like she was last night.  It says she is "active", but she did not answer my messages.  So I think she is sleeping with her phone on.
I gave the nice head of lettuce to a vegan friend who let me use her DVD player to watch my two new Doc. Rodgers DVDs.  I originally won these by guessing some bear data accurately a few years ago.  I never watched them.  When I moved I lost them somehow.  While in The NABC I paid $38 for two more of the same ones I lost. 
  My DVD player is broken.  For the last several days I have been trying to find a way to watch them.
 Now I will check to see if Mary woke up on messenger.  If not I will go back to bed.
I will now say GN and GB to all who come here.

calhound

« Reply #27054 on: July 12, 2023, 05:26:17 AM »

Good News for the Bears and the Eagles - UPDATE July 11, 2023

Bald Eaglets
At the Bear Center, all is good again for the bears. With new fences to investigate, they are out and about, no longer pacing, and going about their lives as in these videos caught by "Taught" and "Pooch".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNy3hZwni5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3bOMSKHnsM&t=3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRK-lrKUh6E

Loon
Loon

At the WRI, we checked on the bald eagle family today and are happy to report that I was wrong about a sibling killing the other. White water lily
White water lily
Two eaglet heads stood tall and peaceful in the nest today, making the pontoon ride especially good.

Thank you for all you do,
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #27055 on: July 12, 2023, 05:52:00 AM »

hi you guys its 76 here 56 in ice 76 in kviv 74 in the barn i was never so happy to read the update and doc being wrong about those juvies one killing the other that has really upset me since i first read it. so happy they are both okay i know they do that head bonking and i do not like that but to kill. went to the barn this morning and lots of raccoonies lots of little kids all lined up on the hay waiting for me once i came in omg here they come but i have cookies on top of the dog food in my green bucket be throwing them out!! indy stomping his feet come one sweets ramming the wall come one maybe crying hungry come on. birds flying overhead come one mice chasing each other come on.

hi joho i knew you said all fish you let go so very happy to read you did! my dogs would be like what no people food ever? nope you get people food. i sat down my cheese pizza its a little one one person on my knee scooter last night and meanie boy ate all the cheese off of it. it was just crust left so i ate that. got up at midnight starving but when i came out of my room to get something dogs started their howling woke up jim he was yelling i went back to bed starving. tonight i will pack extra food in my cart basket. you should not feel bad dropping your popcorn i drop stuff all the time more and more it is what it is we are lucky to be here. you did nothing wrong.

hi neva well im am not sure if sweden is in nato now? i googled it Is Sweden officially in NATO now?
On 5 July 2022, all NATO member countries signed the Accession Protocol for Sweden. Until all NATO countries have ratified Sweden's application for NATO membership, it has the status of invitee country. Sweden is now gradually being integrated into NATO's political and military structures  finland is in so sweden should be too after all this with the thug and no i do not think he should be armed but like you said  it irks me too. and i saw pres zen pretty upset i do not blame him still not into nato still no set date or anything like he said every day russia more torture for them. they did nothing wrong. putin now threatening to get even for sweden i am like what what more will you do the nukes? jim said someone will put a bullet in putins head if he tries that but jim he has been doing stuff for 2 years. i saw the record flood in vermont and record heat for AZ 120 in places i think of that mule man and his mules  :( its will 100 day today lots of across the land in heat or floods and cal peoples homes just sliding away its awful all over. i hope your swamp cooler working good. just so hot be careful.

hi alice!

got to pick up groceries

gb ukraine gb all animals and gb all of us

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/5A055D59555C?z=0

neva

« Reply #27056 on: July 12, 2023, 05:08:47 PM »

Pier Ryde ...  20:32    103°  (2:33 pm)   Partly sunny, wispy clouds, the slightest breeze and no rain forecasted here.

Hi Cal ...  So far, so good with Swamp cooler, but we are getting the humidity now from some rains from Mexico and desert south and east of here.  I am guessing that the whole of our "Monsoon Season" won't amount to much this year.  I hope I'm wrong.  It is frustrating to see them putting off NATO membership for the Ukraine, but I understand what they are afraid of.

I hope that everyone is doing okay today.

Hi Joho  ...   Cal is right, accidents happen to all of us, you didn't plan to spill the popcorn, and the dogs aren't going to be all that effected by the event. 
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #27057 on: July 12, 2023, 05:30:45 PM »

BY ANDREW WILKS
Published 1:12 PM CDT, July 11, 2023
ISTANBUL (AP) — Turkey made a surprise pledge to drop its opposition to Sweden joining NATO, paving the way for the Nordic country to become a member of the Western military alliance.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Turkey had agreed to support Sweden’s NATO bid – by putting the issue to a vote in Parliament -- in return for deeper cooperation on security issues and a promise from Sweden to revive Turkey’s quest for EU membership.

The agreement, which Stoltenberg heralded after talks with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson, also says the two countries will step up trade and investment with each other.

Hungary, the only other NATO holdout on Sweden, is expected to drop its opposition, too. Hungary’s foreign minister said Tuesday that his country’s ratification of Sweden’s NATO membership was now just a “technical matter.”

Erdogan has been uncharacteristically quiet since the agreement was publicized, declining to comment on the reasons for his apparent change of heart.

It remains to be seen how quickly the issue will be taken up by Turkey’s Parliament

TURKEY WANTS F-16 FIGHTER JETS FROM THE U.S.
Erdogan’s promise to Stoltenberg to reverse course on Sweden’s NATO membership may also have been linked to Turkey’s efforts to upgrade its fleet of F-16 fighter jets.

Turkey has asked the U.S. for approval to buy 40 new F-16s, as well as kits to upgrade its existing fleet. The request was backed by the White House but ran into opposition in Congress. Both U.S. and Turkish officials have insisted that any such deal would not be linked to Sweden’s NATO membership.

But within hours of Erdogan apparently dropping his veto on Sweden, President Joe Biden signaled that the U.S. intended to proceed with the F-16 sale in consultation with Congress. In a statement welcoming Erdogan’s agreement to bring Sweden’s NATO bid before Parliament, Biden said he will work with Turkey “on enhancing defense and deterrence in the Euro-Atlantic area.
TURKEY WANTS TO BECOME AN EU MEMBER
Early on Monday, Erdogan made a surprise warning that he would block Sweden’s attempt to become a NATO ally unless European members of the military organization “pave the way” for Turkey to join the world’s biggest trading bloc.

It was the first time that Erdogan had linked the two countries’ aspirations in this way

Following his remarks, European officials rebuffed any link between Sweden’s NATO membership and Turkey’s 36-year bid to join the EU.

“You cannot link the two processes,” European Commission spokesperson Dana Spinant said.

Stoltenberg reiterated the point, saying that Turkey’s relationship with the EU was “not an issue for NATO, it’s an issue for the European Union.” But, he told reporters that “what Sweden agreed today as an EU member was to support actively the efforts to reinvigorate Turkey’s EU accession process.”

Sweden also said it would seek improved customs arrangements and take steps to implement visa-free European travel for Turkish citizens.

Still, few expect any accelerated movement on Turkey’s EU membership talks, which stalled in 2018 because of the country’s democratic backsliding and poor record on human rights.

calihoula

« Reply #27058 on: July 12, 2023, 05:37:32 PM »

i think nato everyone made such a big deal on sweden joining that this thug thinking i can get everything i think sweden should just back off some eu will not be blackmailed russia went for finland once and finland lost little bit but fought back sweden can too and others will help if putin starts with them too. i hope thug is so stupid to think that biden will sell him fighterjets kits on a maybe. its not just up to biden congress has say. turkey parliment meets in fall i read. my dogs being jerks im tired and they best shut up go to sleep or out in kitchen all night.

johoward

« Reply #27059 on: July 13, 2023, 04:09:38 AM »

Hi ev1,
4:49 on pier.  Mary was not concerned the dogs would be harmed by popcorn.  It is just that she is very particular about what they get to eat.  She is a very good dog trainer.  I think her concern is that she prefers that her dogs eat nothing but what she provides at meal time.  This prevents them from begging and picking up random unidentified objects throughout the day.  I have seen it work for her.  Pretty amazing actually.
I will not get to see her today.  She is still house sitting with five dogs and has family coming over.  She will be home tomorrow.  Maybe I can see her then.
I think I will try to go back to sleep for a while now. CUL EV1 GBU and GB Ukraine