Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 618106 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23985 on: October 17, 2021, 06:04:35 AM »

hi you guys its 42 62 in the barn

hi joho dont you just love being on hold i have little patience for that jim does that hate having to ever call directv jim on hold once a half hour i dont think so. i like this cooler weather but sad too cause scout and his family left yesterday morning. hope they have safe travels be back next spring.

hi neva griz says bark bark bark and bark

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/C4055D525654?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calihoula

« Reply #23986 on: October 17, 2021, 08:56:27 AM »

turned on the lamp in 3:54
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

johoward

« Reply #23987 on: October 17, 2021, 11:08:29 AM »

6:52  Shivering. May have to put on long sleeves and long pants soon.  Maybe tomorrow.  54 Degrees at noon.  No sun.  Went for a nice ride in the park yesterday, but not much color yet, maybe soon.  I like Fall rides and Autumn tours etc.  Lots of farms to visit.
Medina County Fall Tour is my favorite.  They are well organized, and have a waiting list of farms to participate.  Have been doing this tour for years with Joan and youngsters.
Need to check on schedules. So I will see you all alter. Have a good Sunday.  God Bless.

calihoula

« Reply #23988 on: October 17, 2021, 06:28:30 PM »

hi joho that tour sounds really fun! i use to tour historic homes and plantation with my first mom in law one in lexington was used in a movie i think like north by south or something. jesse james buried in kearney i went there with my dad flowers on his grave then we tour his farm saw a little movie they had had his clothes wife clothes people so tiny back then. are you having a halloween party for your grands and grand dogs? i was cold around one am had to pee hated to get up but got up saw my little possum eating when i looked out my window so cute got back in bed cali was at the other end i called her cali im cold big brownie jumped on the bed and laid against me i fell back to sleep.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #23989 on: October 18, 2021, 05:16:26 AM »

Bear Season Ends - UPDATE October 17, 2021
Braveheart - May 2012 - by Jim Stroner
Braveheart - May 2012 - by Jim Stroner

It’s 6:43 PM. Bear season ends at 6:44, which is a half hour after sunset. Hunter pressure around here was light. In the first few days of the season, a small bear was taken across the street, and a hunter who usually hunts 3/4 of a mile away got two, possibly three adolescents. We don’t know who any of these 3 or 4 bears were, but none of them were the bears we know well and have been following for years. Then the nearby hunters disappeared. With the scarcity of natural food, baits would have been unusually attractive, and we had feared the worst. We have never seen as many bears as we saw during the last two years of drought and food failure. The DNR has been hoping to increase population which stands at less than half what it was a couple decades ago. Last year’s (2020) food failure and high kill likely did the same to the population we saw in a similar food failure back in 1985—high starvation among cubs and yearlings and mothers unable to maintain pregnancies. Now came the second year of food failure that stretched far up into Canada and bears traveling far in search of feed. They also were pushed out of large areas by forest fires. For the first time ever, bears were here coughing up blood and thick phlegm. Bears came in skinny with small cubs. Diversionary feeding was very effective in keeping these bears out of trouble and alive. We are thankful for all the help from you.

Last fall (2020), we lost 18-year-old Braveheart who will be the subject of a chapter in the book. When she was killed, everything fit that it was her, but we wanted to be absolutely sure by seeing if she might show up in 2021. She did not. I remember our final meeting before she moved to her denning area where she was killed by a hunter. We sat together like we’d never been apart. I put my arm around her. She sat calm and still. I squeezed my hand down between her foreleg and chest to get her pulse which was always the slowest I’d obtained, but she had a full layer of fat and I couldn’t get it. I would usually then feel the femoral artery, but I couldn’t reach it the way she was sitting. I hadn’t seen her for some time and am glad for this final memory of her trust. Another favorite memory is from over a decade ago when I was with a newspaper reporter and photographer and trying to home in on her telemetry signal. Braveheart knew my voice and would usually let me approach, but with the two strangers, she slipped away over and over without a sound or a glimpse. Finally, after about two hours of cat and mouse, she held for me and came out of the underbrush. The photographer then took my favorite picture of her as she ignored me taking her pulse as she scanned around for any danger. I hope the newspaper lets me use it for the book. The whole incident was an education for the newspaper crew whose support I have appreciated ever since. Braveheart, at 18, had lived longer than most bears in Minnesota, contradicting a widely held misconception that gets many bears killed and prevents coexistence across America. The misconception is that black bears that lose fear of people become more likely to cause nuisance problems and attack people. Consequently, such bears are killed to protect the public and to avoid liability problems for wildlife agencies. Braveheart never attacked anyone and had not even had a nuisance complaint filed against her.

Big toothed Aspen
Big toothed Aspen
Quaking Aspen
Quaking Aspen
On this 17th day of October, most of the red maples have dropped their beautiful red or yellow leaves, and the prettiest leaves I see falling now are reddish leaves like the ones in the picture from big-toothed aspens. Quaking aspen leaves, meanwhile are turning yellow and beginning to fall. The most striking yellows are seen when the sun shines through those leaves as in the other picture. .

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23990 on: October 18, 2021, 05:21:59 AM »

hi you guys its 48 here computer slow good bear murdering is over but so sad heartbreaking on braveheart and other bears does not matter if they were bears we did not know still our bears and lost their lives.  :(

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/E6055D53D4B4?z=0

johoward

« Reply #23991 on: October 18, 2021, 03:27:56 PM »

5:11 finally
Long day doing not much.  Walmart and Drugmart, and cams not much else until now.
 Cool morning.  I opened all sunny blinds and let sun warm the house.  Even put a few fans on low to spread warmth.  No furnace yet. LOL Take that gas company.
Even had a long sleeve shirt on with shorts and sandals.  Was just right.  Now 61 and sunny.  Very nice.  I will go out soon to enjoy it somehow.
CUL GB

calhound

« Reply #23992 on: October 19, 2021, 04:57:07 AM »

calhound

« Reply #23993 on: October 19, 2021, 05:22:34 AM »

hi you guys its 54 here and i see the full moon i saw a barn owl yesterday on my fence post when i went down to get my mail.

hi joho no furnace here yet either take that propane company we always get a contract so its been paid for since august. like getting heat free all winter. i had my shorts on and a long sleeve shirt too. tennis shoes not sandals.

hi neva!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/89055D5AE09C?z=0

calhound

« Reply #23994 on: October 19, 2021, 05:47:20 AM »

johoward

« Reply #23995 on: October 19, 2021, 07:53:30 AM »

very funny witch crash scene.   lol
Will do puzzle after coffee and paper.
cul gb

johoward

« Reply #23996 on: October 19, 2021, 09:13:24 AM »

6:57
49 degrees at 10 am sunny and low wind.  Long sleeves again this morning.  Open all blinds way up.  Let in sun warmth.  Add fan on slow to spread warmth. Started at 71 degrees at 8 am.  Now 67, but feels warmer.  Funny.  Will give it a few hours.  Then check again.
 Will go out soon to some park or other. Maybe try to find my special plyers I lost while letting that big catfish go at Letha House Park. Maybe fish a little too.
Will walk some anyway.  Knee still too stiff to ride.
Well time to get out there so bye for now GB.

calihoula

« Reply #23997 on: October 19, 2021, 02:57:06 PM »

it took that farrier 4:09 to shoe that hoof

hi joho i been cleaning out the barn went to start smokie but battery dead so put the charger on it not easy for me drove my other car down to jims shop he is out of town first had to lift big gate little by little drive my car in smokie sits up higher i can just drive him around pasture forget gate at least garage opener for jims shops big door drove the gator back up jim had two small bales of hay in it got those in the barn drove gator back shut big gate drive back up. behind on inside chores yikes feed dogs cats be nice to the fish gb

neva

« Reply #23998 on: October 19, 2021, 04:11:32 PM »

Farrier ...  26:50   

Hi everyone,

We had a little bit of a chilly spell about a week ago, but now it is back up into the 80s for the next ten days, or so.  I'm glad for that, we haven't got the furnace set up yet, but have got the cooler shut down.  I've heard that they've already had snow in some parts of this country.  My oldest daughter, Susan and her husband Jon are so sick of Wyoming winters that they have driven their big RV to South Carolina and will stay there for an easier winter.  Susan was born here and is a 'desert rat', never really has liked winter all that much, but she met a guy from Wyoming many years ago, and ... real winters were a part of the deal, I guess.  They are empty-nesters and now they are also 'Snowbirds' (fly south for the winter).

Not all that much going on here.  I have an appt to get shots (every two weeks) on Thursday so I guess I'll stop by the Pharmacy to and get my flu shot. 

I'm trying to get back into my art, have lots of supplies, so I just need to get going,  I have a BFA from the University of Arizona, in Studio Arts and Art History.  I figure that since I don't really go anywhere, I should at least get back to that.

My granddaughter, Bella, is learning how to drive now.  I hope she can deal with the local traffic, it can be rough.

I hope that everyone is having a good day.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 04:13:05 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calihoula

« Reply #23999 on: October 19, 2021, 04:44:12 PM »

hi neva i saw that snow real early this morning on world news snowbirds fly south for the winter  :) nice way to travel big rv nice for dogs too they are going to ras state i hope your every two weeks shots helps you yes neva get your flu shot im wanting my covid booster do your art take a pic post it here! i remember you drew a vampire way back sent it to me it was awesome im wondering if i got that somewhere. my day just gets away go from one animal to the next. wow watching my local news plane crashed landed in houston tx on fire all 21 people got out safe! now what is driving up the cost of meat hay dont eat meat people! be safe bella but pretty cool learning to drive. i remember that getting my license day i turned 16 my granny took me.  :)