Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 602198 times)

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #23955 on: October 07, 2021, 08:36:08 AM »

hi joho yay  boss did good rest that back and knee
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

johoward

« Reply #23956 on: October 07, 2021, 04:35:38 PM »

Hi EV1,
I saw Tasha digging in rock den today.  It looks like she may choose to use it again.  That is what I hope anyway.
 No video of pack walk on Wednesdays.  Only on Saturdays.
I went walking and fishing at Letha House Park in Medina County Ohio. Walked about one half mile each way and caught several little brim.  Let them all go.
 Also hooked a huge catfish, but he broke my line and swam away.  Later he came back, and I saw him hunting for brim in the shallows.  He was huge. 
Beautiful day  all day.  Was supposed to rain in the afternoon, but no rain yet.  Still coming I guess.  Good I will put my car out so it can get rinsed off.  LOL
Well I will say so long for a while and GB

calhound

« Reply #23957 on: October 08, 2021, 05:51:41 AM »

Hi you guys its 62 here

hi joho you walked alot yesterday. good catfish did not pull in the water we have rain coming monday and we have to drive down to susies monday meet with firebugs insurance inspector my lawyer has assured me he is not to ask us any questions about that fire just show him where the property is see that huge pile of burnt to ground stuff was my sisters outbuilding and horse stable. see her mobile home with the huge holes chopped in it from fireman axe cause of fire that is all my lawyer wants us to do. i am afraid of jims mouth he likes to talk and talk go and on and on. i hope it rains may help to hurry this inspection on. i put my car out too so it can rinse off i have a hard time getting out and washing it at car wash and living on a gravel roads just gets dirty again fast. gb ev1

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/AB055D4FE720?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #23958 on: October 08, 2021, 06:20:58 AM »

dog walking

johoward

« Reply #23959 on: October 08, 2021, 08:09:01 AM »

5:33 Car still out waiting for rain.  Rain still coming they say.  Now 65 degree cloudy at 9am.  I will go out early again to avoid walking in the rain.  May take some bread and go try to chum up that cat fish.  It was exciting being able to look straight down from the dock and watch him scatter the brim and suck in my tiny brim size wad of white bread.  It took him just a few seconds and two tugs to snap the line and swim away.
OK now second coffee waiting.  Nice fog over the river on GSB cam btw.
CUL GB

johoward

« Reply #23960 on: October 08, 2021, 02:48:29 PM »

Hi EV1,
Went walking and fishing. At Letha House Park. Did drive through a few rain drops, but not enough to matter. Remember I told how that big catfish broke off my little hook yesterday?  Well I put on a bigger hook and caught him today.  A nice young man was walking by on the trail as I was fight the fish.  I asked if he wanted to see an impressive catfish before it got away again.  So he came out onto the dock and was watching the battle.  It was significant.  The fish was powerful.  I could not stop him when he wanted to swim away. He just went wherever he wanted to go.  Under the dock.  Far out into the weeds and deeper water.  Wherever.
 My tackle was all too flimsy for such a powerful fish.  Finally he tired a little, and I skidded him out of the water and up the bank a little.  The young man used my little flip phone to take some pics.  I will send them to Cal's phone from my phone so she can maybe share them.  It really is a nice fish as you will see. I revived him and he swished his tail and swam powerfully away at the end.
So I went to carwash, because rain never showed up.  Now I have to keep it inside in case it does rain. LOL
Gotta start thinking about dinner now.  Maybe fish dinners from Blue Sky Restaurant.  It is Friday after all.
CUL EV1 GB

calhound

« Reply #23961 on: October 09, 2021, 04:34:24 AM »

The Minds of Bears - UPDATE October 8, 2021
320 and cub in den 3-21-71
320 and cub in den 3-21-71
I like watching bears work. It’s a chance to see how their minds work. It’s hard to know whether my interpretations reflect their actual thoughts, but it is obvious they are sentient beings that can learn, remember, and accomplish some thought processes better than humans. Probably the best example of that was seeing Big Mac navigate home 126 miles by a different, more direct route than he had taken to a place he had very likely never been before. Another example was a cub following her mother (Bear 320) some 23 miles to a 5-acre oak stand in 1971 and returning to it as an adult 3 years later. Her brother also returned to that stand as an adult. 320’s offspring were the only bears from my study area to use that stand. The picture is of 320 and one of these cubs in a den on March 21, 1971. This den was a secure burrow. Female 320, with her knowledge of distant food sources, was one of the stars of that study until she used a less secure den in 1977 and was killed at the age of 15 by a pack of 9 wolves in February 1977.

I liked watching this 9-minute video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiffWRmQv5g of Tasha renovating the rock den she used last winter at the North American Bear Center. This den is Tasha’s to use this winter once again after Holly again usurped the den Tasha dug a year ago. The video by "Taught" shows her digging away, sitting back and looking at her work, and digging some more. Is she just resting when she pauses? Or does the fact that she looks at her work mean she is evaluating it and deciding what she needs to do next? I don’t know what she has in mind for this den, so it’s hard to know what she is thinking when she pauses and then digs in again.

It reminded me of 3-year-old June creating a den in July 2004 where she would give birth to Pete and George that January (2005). https://vimeo.com/125760391 As she dug, she ran into a 68-pound boulder. Instead of simply wrestling the rock out, she readied the entrance for the big move and rolled the rock up the ramp she created.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #23962 on: October 09, 2021, 04:43:43 AM »

hi you guys its 64 but suppose to reach record heat today in the upper 90's but next friday high is like 58 i think jim is heading down to susies to mow today high winds today too. tasha getting ready for winter. :)

hi joho i have not looked at my phone yet it gets put away in my purse and my purse tucked away i dont if i can put it on here but that poor catfish  i hope you are done with it i held my breath reading your post here so happy it got to swim away.  :)  big chiefs game tomorrow night bills are so good at least it will be here at arrowhead but not till after 7 so i will not get to see much of it. how do your browns play tomorrow? go brownies go chiefs

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/26055D4CA9FB?z=0

calihoula

« Reply #23963 on: October 09, 2021, 04:19:24 PM »

watched that ship for 3:24
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day

calhound

« Reply #23964 on: October 10, 2021, 05:56:19 AM »

hi you guys its 69 here said clear but i saw lighting to the north

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/F3055D510203?z=0

neva

« Reply #23965 on: October 10, 2021, 06:11:15 PM »

El Paraiso -  21:08       It's 78° and sunny -- when isn't it sunny here?   I hope everyone is having a good day.

Yesterday my daughter, Michelle and her daughter, Bella (Isabella) went up into the mountains north of town and did a bit of hiking and visited a village that is up there where there is a shop that sells home-make fudge, among other things.  It is worth the trip up there just to get this fudge, and it comes in many different kinds.  I can't hike so I stayed home, but remember all the times I have been up there.  I wouldn't mind having a cabin up there and living there at least part of the year.  It is cooler in the summer.

My niece named her daughter after my mother, Charlotte.  I love that name ... anyway, I am starting to write about my mother for her daughter, who is still a young child.  I want her to know about the woman that she is named after,  It is bringing back a lot of memories of my childhood and listening to my mother's stories. 

Is this the season for Fairs?  Of course, I hear others mentioning them, but I've never been to the County Fair here, but I have been to the State Fair in Phoenix a couple of times and it was great.  One of the times, we went to a 'Lonestar' Concert (Country music),  Ordinarily, that is not my kind of music, but these guys are good.  Maybe this is the time of year for the Fairs because a lot of them center around agriculture and animals and this is where people can display what they've produced.  Maybe that is the reason for the timing,

If you've gone to a Fair, what was your favorite thing there?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 06:18:18 PM by neva »
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

calhound

« Reply #23966 on: October 11, 2021, 06:24:41 AM »

hi you guys its 56 here and raining suppose to rain all day today.

hi neva! i remember when i would go to vegas to see my mom sister aunt uncles cousins had lots of family that lived out where some for health reasons and we went hiked up a mountain i think red rock but not sure but it sure was fun i could walk good back then. i remember mom taking us in az and seeing native americans places their beautiful rings necklaces and stuff. pretty cool. love that bella hiked up to the mountains and fudge would motivate me too! im sure joho too would motivated by food. lol i think that is great you are writing about your mom for young charlette. she will love it too neva. i am mad at myself for not taking the time to drive to kansas anc see my moms best friend juanita she has stuff of my moms she wanted to give me and i could of heard stories about my mom and her when i decided i could go she had past away. sure she is riding her horse bo with mom and her horse roxie.  i have been to a county fair and lots of state fairs  when i was a kid mom and dad went every year sedalia in mo we lived in kansas when i was kid i liked the carnival rides and the horses last fair i went to was in a town near us i liked the crafts quilts and the horses mules. i have not been in along time like you very hard to get around and i got enough to do taking care of all my pets and stuff i know who is lonestar is i do like country music i like all kinds of music but listen to county the most cause that is what pearl likes on her radio in the barn. how are you liking your new laptop? my tvs will heading out soon colder temp should be coming yay for that

hi joho well i was so tired i went to bed at 7:30 woke up at 2:30 am missed the whole chiefs game and on the news this morning saw i missed nothing chiefs lost but i saw perez royals catcher was beating the big drum before the game that was cool. who did the brownies play and did they win? hope so

johoward

« Reply #23967 on: October 11, 2021, 09:32:00 AM »

hi ev1,
5:17 on the straw shack in "paradise"?  I like snow. LOL
I go to county fairs. Lots of them. I like the animals best, especially the goats, because they seem to crave attention and have personality.  Even children can see the love in a goats eyes in spite of the devilish looking slit pupils.  I also like the harness racing.  I like to bet on the races.  Also, I am a fan of most fair foods.  Italian sausage sandwiches are my favorite.Nice out today 70 degrees at 10:30.  Need to go out this morning to pay bills.  So cul gb

johoward

« Reply #23968 on: October 11, 2021, 09:33:53 AM »

Oh too bad for Browns and Chiefs.  They really ran into some good teams last night. Lots of excitement, but not the right outcome for our fans.

calhound

« Reply #23969 on: October 12, 2021, 05:14:08 AM »

Chloe, Lincoln, Charlie Brown and Good News - UPDATE October 11, 2021
Today, it felt good to see 3-year-old Chloe and her healthy cubs and know that they survived and are ready to den up after a summer of scarce food.

Chloe & Lincoln
Chloe & Lincoln
Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown
It also was good to learn that the proposed ban on feeding bears is off the table for 2022. That means this community that has peacefully coexisted for 60 years with bears like Chloe, her cubs, and some of the oldest bears in Minnesota will be able to continue. It means that we will be able to continue following the stories of these bears without them going house to house in bad food years like the last two years have been. We are thankful to everyone involved.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center