Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jewel and her cubs  (Read 622140 times)

johoward

Re: Jewel and her cubs
« Reply #24000 on: October 19, 2021, 06:54:14 PM »

I did have a very nice day fishing and walking.  Got a big one and promptly let him go.  He was frisky going back.  I had a lot of trouble landing him.  He was powerful and kept running off with my line.  He was so heavy I could not lift him out of the water.  I had to skid him up the steep bank, and the line broke on his way up.  I had to crawl down the bank and catch him by hand.  He bit me and made me bleed.  Just like the last one did.  Their little teeth are very sharp.
I recall teaching my Joan to drive.  I had a 1955 Olds 88 stick shift.  She learned to drive it pretty well.  One problem was we lived in the country.   I never had to park anywhere with a curb. Our parking practice spot was at the exit drive of my school.  So I drove up to it like always when leaving school and told her to practice parking.  She got pretty good at it.
Just imagine my surprise when she failed the test for parking.  It seems I had taught her to park on the wrong side of the street.  So when she told the inspector she needed to turn around to park, he failed her at once.  They came to see me.
She forgave me, but we never forgot.
I have to go now.  CUL and GB

calhound

• Eagle nest and Bear watcher since 2/23/11
« Reply #24001 on: October 20, 2021, 06:04:48 AM »

Shy Bears, Color, Etc. - UPDATE October 19, 2021
Quaking Aspen
Quaking Aspen glowing in the sun

With a mother and her 2 cubs (probably Lucy or Chloe) being caught only on camera in the middle of the night now (the eyes of the night are back in Indianapolis for the rest of this month), the only bears we are seeing are a few shy adolescents that are probably not our usual bunch. Most of the bears are undoubtedly off hibernating now.Culvert that bear entered
Culvert that a bear entered

Today someone showed me a culvert he had seen a bear enter a couple weeks ago. The bear had approached the highway and suddenly disappeared. I wondered if the bear was hibernating, so we peeked into it. Nothing. Maybe the bear was using it as a mini-underpass to avoid traffic. Maybe it was just using it as a secure resting place. On the other hand, bears investigate many possible denning spots through the year. I guess anything is possible, but I was surprised that it was a culvert under a busy highway.

The most spectacular view today was a pair of quaking aspens in full yellow that the low sun was making exceptionally yellow. I had to back up and click it.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24002 on: October 20, 2021, 06:15:53 AM »

hi you guys its 60 here big full moon lots of stars happy a bear found a safe place to rest or something but bear stay away from roads! make it thru bear murdering season do not get hit by a car! Quaking Aspen is just beautiful.

hi joho well had to laugh at the fish biting you skidding up a bank dragging i learned to drive on my papas 55 chevy stick shift of course and at my dads gas station the big chevy truck we used for service calls. stick shift too chiefs played pretty rotten in the first half i went to work in the barn and do other chores came in at the end and wow jim said they turned it around second half did the browns win too? i hope so.

Hi Neva griz says i am sleeping but at midnight he woke up and bark bark bark and then browning and penny joined in i said go back to sleep i got a couple more hours of sleep coming to me! they did!

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/35055D56D78E?z=0
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama and mb

calhound

« Reply #24003 on: October 20, 2021, 06:16:20 AM »

johoward

« Reply #24004 on: October 20, 2021, 08:27:09 AM »

4:58 doctor visit soon.  Foot .

51 degrees at 9:27 clear and sunny

GTG CUL GB

calhound

« Reply #24005 on: October 20, 2021, 02:38:56 PM »

neva

« Reply #24006 on: October 20, 2021, 03:37:10 PM »

Fish ...  23:49          It is 84° here at the moment.

Good afternoon everyone.

My gosh, Joho ... what kind of a fish was that, a Piranha?  That sounded like a knock-down, drag-out event, and all those teeth.

I've only been fishing once in my life, but I enjoyed it.  Sorry Cal, but I was only about eleven or twelve at the time.  I didn't think about how the fish would think of it.   I caught a Perch.  My best friend's father took us out to the lake (in Massachusetts).  I was told that I was responsible for collecting a can of 'Night Crawlers' (worms)  yuck!!  but, I got a flashlight and did it at night, when they come out.  When I brought my fish home, my mother said, if you are going to eat it, you have to clean it, she told me what to do and that was just a shock ... so I took it to a family that we knew that loved to fish, and gave it to them.  I figured they'd know what to do with it.

later, as an adult, married with kids, I bought a fish with scales and all, I tried to clean it and ended up with fish scales all over the sink area of the kitchen and included on me too.    :(
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #24007 on: October 20, 2021, 06:33:20 PM »

Browns lost by a lot 37 something.  Baker is hurt will not play tomorrow.
that catfish almost won.  Both of them broke my line and bit me drawing blood when I picked them up off the bank.  Both swam off at the end, and will be OK. They are tough.
Now to watch Jeopardy.  CUL ev 1 GB

calhound

« Reply #24008 on: October 21, 2021, 06:09:38 AM »

A Sweet Bedtime Treat - UPDATE October 20, 2021
Chloe on alert
Chloe on alert

Chloe and her cubs Lincoln and Charlie Brown showed up at sundown on this late October day when hibernation is drawing close. It seemed right to offer them a bedtime treat that someone sent a few days ago. I don’t know who the sender was, but it was a box of nicely packaged honeycombs. This seemed like the time for a bedtime treat that would show me whether bears like honey. I’d read Winnie the Pooh and heard all the old sayings about bears and honey, but bee keepers had told me that bears raid bee hives more for the larvae and pupae than for the honey, and that made sense to me in a way. When bears raided hornet colonies, I’d seen how eagerly bears went for larvae despite the many stings they were enduring from the adults. I’d also seen how eagerly they raid ant colonies to get mainly pupae. I’d seen how persistently they went after the pupae despite the eye-stinging cloud of formic acid the adults were defensively spraying into the air. When they had most of the pupae, the bears quickly left colonies, making no attempt to eat the adults. Bears evidently liked insect pupae, so I believed what I heard about bears raiding beehives more for the protein in pupae than the carbohydrates in the honey. But tonight, I wanted to see for myself.

Lincoln eating honeycomb   Lincoln eating honeycomb
Lincoln eating honeycomb
I offered a honeycomb to Lincoln. He licked it. It might have been the first honeycomb he had seen in his life. Suddenly, he showed more eagerness for it than I’d ever seen from him. Charlie Brown wanted it, too, but Lincoln’s aggressive eagerness won out. When his mother Chloe wanted it, his possessiveness again won out, although another factor was that she was distracted and on high alert about some unfamiliar sounds.

Eventually, Chloe and her cubs left, and two adolescents arrived. One of them was trusting enough to see what I had. Like Lincoln, he suddenly erupted into great eagerness. I let him have it and went inside to see if his shy partner would come back. His partner saw what the first one had and wanted to share. Nothing doing! The first bear lunged loudly and viciously at his larger partner in a stern rebuke, although there was no contact.

I know you already knew that bears like honey, making me have to admit that some of the things I prove to myself are not new.

Save the date

Save the date for Give To The Max Day on November 18.

The Bear Center will be kicking off this year’s Give to the Max day at 11:30 pm on Wednesday, November 17th LIVE on the Special Events cam. They will also be LIVE throughout the day on Thursday, November 18th starting at 8 am.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

calhound

« Reply #24009 on: October 21, 2021, 06:26:07 AM »

hi you guys its 42 here but said we have a wind chill say what feel like 41 oh well wind chill and all. house was at 66 so no need for the furnace to be turned on. going to get up to almost 80 in a couple of days nutty weather. update is so sweet pictures are too. guess those bears do like honey combs bet they would like honey comb cereal too maybe they came trick and treating good dr rogers had enough and very nice on whoever sent that to them.

hi neva! i have never been fishing i know a real shocker there. i hated watching the eagles bring a live fish and poor thing be floppin i would say poor fish and some others would say that too i have not watch that nest much  broke my heart when dad was gone oh sue posted this at fb she saw it at the fish hatchery

Did you see on the world news about find human remains at that park deal  CNN What appears to be human remains and items belonging to Brian Laundrie, including a backpack, have been found in the Carlton Reserve in North Port, Florida, according to FBI Special Agent in Charge Michael McPherson. 

hi joho sorry the browns lost and baker is hurt.

http://www.jigzone.com/puzzles/B9055D593B3C?z=0

johoward

« Reply #24010 on: October 21, 2021, 10:11:03 AM »

Hey it looks like we will be treated to Tasha in the rock den again this winter.  I am so glad.  She is very entertaining as she gathers grass and hauls it to the den.  She is on cam right now and mods are telling how she gathered up grass again last night until the wee hours.  Taking a nap every now and the above the rock den.
Cool and now  thundering outside.  I think I may spend some time inside on this computer today playing solitaire so I don't have to put on winter clothes. LOL

Tasha is out raking grass again right now.  FYI

CUL GB

johoward

« Reply #24011 on: October 21, 2021, 10:23:25 AM »

Tasha really putting on a show this morning.  Even better than she did last fall. Won't be long now until she beds down I guess.  I love watching these bears a lot.
 GSB cam has a windshield wiper working this morning.  Saw a sternwheeler going through earlier. CUL EV1
GB

neva

« Reply #24012 on: October 21, 2021, 02:51:29 PM »

Bromeliad ...  33:19   pretty

Thanks for the puzzle, Cal and also thanks for showing us the heart made for Decorah's Dad.  Losing him was heartbreaking.

My son loves fishing, but I doubt he is doing much of it anymore.  He and a couple of other people have told me that Catfish are difficult, and you have to be careful in handling them, but I must admit that they are good.  I am amazed at how many different kinds of catfish that exist around the world and how big they can get ...  huge!

I hope that all are having a great day. 
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
(J.W. Stephens)

johoward

« Reply #24013 on: October 21, 2021, 03:01:19 PM »

4:59 Nice flower. Thanks Cal.
 Been raining most of the day here.  Not really too cold .  65 degrees at 4pm, but I stayed in all day so I could wear my shorts one more day. LOL  This may be it though , I hear a cold snap is coming tomorrow.
Tasha really has been working.  Last year when she was doing all her preps Doc. said in all his years of observing bears he had not seen this behavior.  So she is really a good example of a wild bear for us all to watch.  What a treasure.
CUL EV1 GB

calihoula

« Reply #24014 on: October 21, 2021, 06:44:28 PM »

hi joho it was cool here today i got to online grocery shop now pick up tomorrow morning then i will check out tasha rain here sat night sunday local weather man says may not be nascar st ks speedway sunday. okay by me.

hi neva news said remains was brian laundrie i did the puzzle but forgot my time yes beautuful flower. shoot got to order groceries getting 50 lb bags of dry dog food so pickup i need i cant get that cat litter dog food dry put out a ton for raccoonies and two possums oh possums come at 7 almost 7 i look out my bathroom window see them light out there i always leave on.
I've never met an animal I didn't like, and I can't say the same thing about people. Doris Day