Raptor Resource Project Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beak Room 2023  (Read 492944 times)

LisaG1967

Re: Beak Room 2023
« Reply #2940 on: March 21, 2023, 10:33:48 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

tig - I hope you feel better soon! 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

kb - I hope warmer days are ahead for you!

clynn - You were a busy lady yesterday! My latest baby buy is a car seat and extra base for Bradley & Kelly. And, I have bought some outfits for the different upcoming holidays.  OMG the newborm owl is adorable!  My ex-inlaws live in River Ridge, LA!  I will have to ask them if they know about this eagles nest.

Phyl - Great pic of the Northern Lights!  We use to have a 2010 version of Quicken, and last year bought the online subscription.  Took me a while to get use to the new version.  Didn't those lil waffles look good!!

tsk - Cute lil morning greeting. 

Lani - Adorable good night pic!

E4E - Glad to hear that Star is doing better.  Bandit & Misty have settled in, and are getting along.   :)

oldguy - Thank you!  :-*

Puff

« Reply #2941 on: March 21, 2023, 10:55:37 AM »

Hi Followers of our adventures. . .

I got in late Sunday night and hit the sack after a loooong flight.  Some had me home sooner, but it was 14-20 Mar.  Y'all talked a bit while I did my professional counselor thing.  Lots of  Beak room posts to answer. . .and 3 cups of relaxed tea.

It was BTW a learning conference in Budapest, Hungary with 8 major river cruise companies' execs and ceos.  Brought in 11 ships for touring and discussion.  There is no moving of ships; had to hike the pier to find topics presented in which  we were interested.  Lots of moving of people from point to point doing our job between 8 and 7 each day.  Up front, admittedly lots of food, delicious food, breaks/presentations.  Most notedly would be the dinner presentation at the new Spago Budapest.  Seven years open, in the renovated Matild Palace. A noted Europian restauranteur and Wolfgang Puck owners.  Yes, that Wolfgang.  Guy is a hoot!  Maybe the wine??  Had autographed books; he gave some out.  Also gave info on sending a request.  Attendees? About 750 pp.   But let me stop and reply to the days of posting that you left for me.

Lisa Never tried USA store bought Irish soda bread. Have been Ireland maybe six times and had it there.  Unless you have no qualms, go ahead and try it.  I have to call it the way it is -- horrid.  It in fact should not have caraway seed, raisins, and sugar.  Basic flour baking powder and baking soda.  Not Good.
What I and most Americans make is American Irish Soda Bread.  I make, I got another agent's uncle's recipe.  It gets great compliments.  Usually make 8 loaves   for a spoiled/grateful/super group people.  Some told me I was not forgiven for going away; they would however accept a late offering when I returned.

Another tidbit of info frequently unknown -- Chicago area actually has two factions of Irish, northside Irish and southside Irish.  Never the twain shall meet.  There are two Chicago Irish Day Parades, their bread is also a wee bit different.

Glad to hear Amy again has mentioned the possibility of another clutch of NN.

Aryana has already started on a second egg supply.  Yeah!

Phyl I've also finished part of my Rte. 66.  Chgo does have the starting location (although it had to be adjusted years ago to pave in Lake Shore Drive) in the Loop and has a plaque of recognition.  And now, I've been at the end.  When in CA for the Rose Bowl festivities, I went over to Santa Monica and the S.M. pier.  They also have a large surfboard monument noting the end of Rte. 66 as the "end of the trail".

Flights coming home were a challenge.  You no doubt know that schools have started the spring breaks.  Two encounters - 190 kids from Princeston Univ on the Bud/Mun flight and 90 on the Mun/ORD flight.  Lots of kids, food, instruments, carry-ons, noise - well, you know...at least eventually each group had to take a siesta break.

BTW - I mentioned before somewhere - my heritage is Russian, German, Irish, Italian, and Cherokee.  I claim me to be "American."

tsk knows - My PT hard story is two knee replacements, no not at the same time (2 years apart).  Worst drug reaction ever.  Vicodin.   Weird, dark, scary nightmares when I did fall to sleep.  Drugs did help when needed, they ween you off as soon as they can.  We did home visit therapy Ton and I; that's easier, convenient, and more to my liking.  As to tsks' driving.  I went to garage with therapist and she said because I was OK getting in and out of the hotrod that I was cleared and could drive.  First knee, also signed up for therapy pool time.  Other mention is pain. . .Hard and serious maybe week or 10 days.  Mobility eases fairly soon.

I'll be making corned beef and cabbage in honor of St. Pat tomorrow.  Truth be told I don't do cabbage for me, never did. Ton had cabbage, carrots, potatoes; I have brussel sprouts.  Cabbage is too slimy.

Phyl Same situation here - I don't do FB!  Tried it a few months years ago; decided it wasn't what I wanted.

Two food facts learned while traveling: 1-Greeks do not put lettuce in Greek salad, use usual veggies though with oil/vinegar/spice  2- No caraway seed/raisins/sugar in real Irish Soda Bread.

Lori You mentioned it was Bandit's BD. How old?

Again, many asked for pics. . . Didn't take any really this trip; busy with the professional routine.  But I'll tell you what - I'm even better prepared to help you get your own pics though  :P  I have taken other river cruises:  Amsterdam my first, Viking River (and Viking Ocean) cruises, and maybe 5 Alaska river cruisies.

Next, priority to do a Mississippi River Cruise.   On the bucket list!  Yes, advisors do have a bucket list, too.

Took a book for reading - 2nd "Bob" the cat.  A Gift From Bob.  Didn't finish.  Have to finish that and read the newspapers delivered while gone, too.

Who mentioned "windy city" yesterday?  Clyn Ed? Yes, real sample of that yesterday with 40 and 50 gusts.  But, did you know, it isn't a weather commentary.  It refers to the blusterly talk of the politicians.

New entertainment on landing at O'Hare.  LH has 3 outside mounted cameras.  One on the belly looking down, one at the aft/top looking straight ahead, and the real good view is outside the nose at the bottom, looking forward.  When landing you see the doors (?) holding the nose tire open, the landing gear goes down into position, and the pilot tries to hit the stripe on the runway smack center.  Whew, made it!

E4E Loverly pics of Sheraton Kauai. Lots of "new" now.  Really changed since first there - I'm guessing 1980.  Last there about 4 years ago.  I'm wondering if the road into the property still has the tunnel effect?  I heard a lot of trees were lost during a hurricane a couple years back.  They also had beautiful grounds of a cactus garden-type display.  I see the've switched over to more plants and flowers.  Loved your shot of the geiko.  I have one there of a geiko hanging on the ceiling over our bed.  Guess that didn't change.

Another Irish reply. . .Favorite pub in Ireland?  Would be Durty Nelly's in County Clare at Bunratty Castle, est. 1600's.  Also associated with adjacent dinner show at the castle.  Nice dinner, show, singers, atmosphere.  I'll also never forget the pianist, about 80 years old, singing away as long as he had the brews keep coming.  We also have a local pub outside Chgo called Durty Nelly's.  OK, but not as nice as the real thing.

OOps, missed Lisa's BD.  Sorry it's late. Still taking good wishes?

Found a new tea from Germany - haven't found it in suitcase yet.  Favorite foreign tea is also an Irish product.  Barry's Classic; not flakey more of a pellet-like leaf.
I've been a few times to Ireland.  Local IL/USA sales rep and group gave me a cassette of their songs/singing that I play every year very loudly, and SING ALONG.  He tries to make appearance each year at St. Pal northside restaurant/hall and give us an Irish music fix.  They are a happy, smiling, people.

It's fun, too, to discover who wears what under their kilts.  Not always the same.  :o   :o   :o

Can you tell - my fav other country????  Missed Saturday. . .bummer

Again, sorry no pics.  I'll just have to go back again.   ;D  I'm always willing.  But, we really do work and learn what is new.  Also make new friends and meet new contacts.  Helps when I need something like a welcome basket for E4E/Kris if I can.

Remember next is to experiment/discover/enjoy one of the new Mississippi River cruises. 

Signed autographs of this 1st edition will be given when published.  ;D  Thanks for your patience.  If I missed anything I'm sorry.  Seriously, email or private message me.

P     

oldguy

« Reply #2942 on: March 21, 2023, 11:14:03 AM »

Good Morning Beakers

This week is forecast to be wet with highs in the 40s/50s with lows mostly in the 30s and above freezing, which is good, considering that the store is getting the first live outdoor plants of the season this week.  Possible light rain 5 out of the next 7 days - but max of 1 inch on Monday.

Puff - good to see you back.

A few good videos...

The Most Hilarious Signs Ever (PART 4)   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_9PAHI3w9A

13 Year Old Blind Lucy's Final Performance at the Royal Festival Hall   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEpnmxwKYzU

Rescue dog turns on piano and plays it   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ucldwWABY

Charlie's Weekly Trip to Burger King   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiTmI9G94u0

Spring Is Here! | Simon's Cat Extra   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iHO6qZXc-0

Update on TT (ENG SUB)   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuKZW_0otRc

UPDATE on surgeries! Penny, Jimmy and Josie   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEIdx-TsVWg

Cat's reaction to Painting His Portrait   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNRd2rRkckI

Cats look at pictures on a projector   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGWRB559SIg
Too small clear box and Maru   -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGnCDkluTV4

SE Iowa - Grew up within 40 miles of Decorah

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #2943 on: March 21, 2023, 11:20:12 AM »

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 11:37:42 AM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

camperstig

• "Hoo hoo hoo hoo!"
« Reply #2944 on: March 21, 2023, 11:47:06 AM »

some bounce
Feeling a bit better today... thanx for bday wishes, all! They are great!

Puff - welcome back! Durty Nellys and the castle dinner! Been there, done that... a wonderful time.

Ok, back to sleep
camper'sTIG - South Central MN
Decorah follower since Apr 2, 2011
"May Bob now soar with the eagles and dive with the falcons. You've left a living legacy behind on the earth" (barbells126)

Lani

• All Things Bright and Beautiful
« Reply #2945 on: March 21, 2023, 12:14:26 PM »

The snow/rainy winter has provided a beautiful blanket of Mexican poppies over miles of Highway 87 and throughout our Arizona desert!

Good morning Beakers!
Morning Blschue, Lilbro, Lori, Clynn, Tsk, Lisa, Oldguy, Puff, Eagles, Kb, Tig, Baz, Phyl, Peep, Jaspurr, Pink, Jilltosa, Karen, BL, Eburg, Weasel, Ezee, Bggolden, T40, ssrl, Maxie, and All!

It's a rainy day! ☔

Puff, Welcome back  :)

Lisa, glad to read Bandit and Misty are doing well together.  ;D

Lori, great birthday pics for Tig  ;D

Oldguy, love Tig and Lisa's cake. I could have a bit of chocolate right now!  ;D ... Funny signs!, thanks for links.  ;D

Tig, awww, feel better soon, because I bet Camper's got plans!  ;D .. we're cheering for Michigan St., Gonzaga, and Alabama.  ;D

Kb, smart polar bear.

Clynn, Glad you found a handyman couple to help you and Ed with your-to-do list! ... awww baby owlet and beautiful photo of parent and eaglet.

Phyl, nice update pics ... nice capture of the Aurora Borealis... Clynn right, it does look like a green tornado.
All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful; The Lord God made them all....Author: Cecil F. Alexander

kbshcb

« Reply #2946 on: March 21, 2023, 12:29:01 PM »

Jim Foerster a local meteorologist says:

"Happy Spring! Good news and bad news on the forecast for the next 2 weeks. The good news is our slow-motion melt will continue, and at the same time no huge rain (or snow!) storms are on the horizon. The bad news is anyone looking for true Spring weather will have to wait a couple more weeks as pretty much every day will be at or below normal. The glacier in your backyard will slowly recede, and with the flood danger very high this Spring that is probably the best news of all."

I'm taking bets my snowpiles and many others will still be around late April....at this rate.
I'm also taking bets the curblines might be clear by mid-March...

Today's pics....has been above freezing many days but these iced/concrete piles will take a long time to go without heavy rain/sun/or way above average temps for many days...

I have chopped lots away from Ollie man circle and other areas...but, here it is.

Puff - Recently I've thought it would be very nice to live in Hungary....unfortunately, I'm too old to do that kind of thing.

tsk34

• Who me?
    • picasa
« Reply #2947 on: March 21, 2023, 12:36:52 PM »

LISA  What a coincidence with your ex-inlaws  LOL  So Bandit and Misty are becoming best buds now?  ;) ;)

PUFF  Really enjoyed reading your tome  LOL  Glad you clarified "windy city" as reference to blustery politics and not the wind.  Thanks for the difference between real Irish soda bread - I did not know that.  Wolfgang Puck - What fun!  750 attendees - big crowd.

OLDGUY  Great piece on funny signs  ;D   Rescue dog on piano  LOL  Cat reaction to self portrait  ;D

LORI   Tig's Diner - Love the dessert  :D

LANI   Beautiful Mexican poppies
Chicagoland

Puff

« Reply #2948 on: March 21, 2023, 01:57:04 PM »

Just a thought tsk. . .Too late for this year, how about we go for a toast at Durty Nelly's next year?  There's one in Palatine. Ever been there?

P

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #2949 on: March 21, 2023, 03:51:26 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TIG!  I hope you rest, relax, feel better, and enjoy!  :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

baziunc

• Queen of Decorah - April 10, 2016
« Reply #2950 on: March 21, 2023, 04:18:39 PM »

Happy Day, Beakers!  :)

Lani, the Mexican poppy desert bloom is so pretty! I've been hoping all the wet weather would bring a super bloom to the desert again... fingers crossed!  I guess I'm pulling for Florida-Atlantic now... but who knows for how long. LOL!  My 1st cousin went to college there on a tennis scholarship. He and I are the same age and grew up playing together.

Clynn, wow, a deck upgrade and new shed! Big projects - and will be so fun to enjoy this summer!  So will the deck upgrade turn into a screened in porch? I guess the new shed will be a "She and He Shed."  ;) :D

E4E, I need to do some fridge cleaning. Maybe you will inspire me to get that done!  :D

Hi Lori!! Zippo sends beak kisses to you and Destini.  :-* Are you and your father starting to feel well yet?

Lisa, LOL on all the baby buys! Lucky them, and fun times for you!  :D

Tsk, have you decided when you may give it a whirl from the steering wheel seat?  I imagine it might still be kind of tough getting in and out of the car. I hope you take it easy and will be feeling more comfortable each day.

Phyl, that hummingbird nest is just the most spectacular thing.  And its contents.

Puff, it sounds like you had a successful trip.

OG, wow, I'm surprised you already have garden plants coming in to put outside. Though I don't really know what the average date of last freeze is there.

Not much happening 'round my place today... ran some errands... hugged and kissed with Zippo.  ;) :D :-*

Later, gators... Have a good evening, All.  :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, that is why it is called the present."   ― A.A. Milne

"Hope for the best and accept what comes." ― President Jimmy Carter, on Aug. 20, 2015, during press conference at The Carter Center

LORIDAVIS

• Peace Love Unity & Respect
    • Facebook
« Reply #2951 on: March 21, 2023, 05:10:31 PM »

Welcoming Spring Beakers!!!  I am absolutely miserable. I am going to see the doc again tomorrow.  They want to check my breathing and stuff.  I might have bronchitis.  Not sure.  Can't breathe, I look like death.  It's now day 10.  This should be over! Not taking any antibiotics due to having covid "virus" so we'll see if they give me some tomorrow since it's been 10 days. much love and big hugs.  Take care Lori. ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 05:12:13 PM by LORIDAVIS »
Lori Davis
AcuraRacerGirl

LisaG1967

« Reply #2952 on: March 21, 2023, 05:26:07 PM »

Puff - Of course I am still take birthday wishes, thank you!  Sounds like you had a wonderful time on your trip.

oldguy - Thanks for the videos!

Lori - Cute birthday post for tig!  I hope you feel better soon!  Keep us posted on what the doctor says!  :-*

Lani - The Mexican poppies are beautiful! 

kb - Thank goodness no snow or rain is on the horizon, per the weatherman. 

baz - Awww, hugged and kissed with Zippo, to sweet.  :-*

tsk & Lani - Since you two asked about Bandit and Misty, I took this pic today of them laying on Bradley's bed.

Puff

« Reply #2953 on: March 21, 2023, 05:57:32 PM »

Lisa Looks to me like Misty won the feline lottery!

P

LisaG1967

« Reply #2954 on: March 21, 2023, 06:15:09 PM »

Lisa Looks to me like Misty won the feline lottery!

P

Puff, she is just the sweetest thing!  I never thought my Bandit would take to her, but he REALLY likes her.  :D